• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Instead of varying fair timing, the fact that they are trying to powershield opens up mixups. Cross up nair is cool because its two hits and you can keep pressuring their shield. Or just dash grab.

∫unk

Smash Master
counter oos maybe?

might work peachs attack the same space a lot

and their run is bad so as long as your not in dash range... they're floating and you wait so they run out of float during the counter (so they can't hit you after)

a decent mixup maybe?

this is all theorycraft btw

Nike.

Smash Hero
Wasnt there a huge BBR debate on the marth vs peach matchup? I know that each coast has a different view on it. Maybe we should have a rediscussion thread Shaya?

Suspect

Smash Hero
Oh yall talking about that broad that like to slap at your shield and then slap you again with like no lag.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
lol idk, its pretty deceiving, it has more range then it looks like
and its pretty fast too :(
maybe i just suck idk >.<

∫unk

Smash Master
if youre landing point is predicted a lot of moves can hit you

her dash attack is good if it isn't shielded

peach is obviously not dash attacking into your shield regularly... it takes about 5 seconds of playing peach to understand this

edit: wow at "shouldn't hit you if you space". i wonder what else that applies to?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Uhh landing with fair gives you enough lag that peachs dash attack can reach in dem like 8 frames.

Maybe.
And what if you rising fair? Or FF Retreating fair? To be honest, if you even space as normal I cannot see Peach hitting you with Dash Attack. I could be wrong, though.

Not to mention, Peach probably won't be on the ground often, save to pluck turnips, and if she has a turnip she can't DA anyways D=

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
i still don't understand why marth vs peach is being debated as close?

mr-r have you even sat down and analyzed the tools available to you in the MU or do you just claim it's close because you lose it lol

think about what your character has available to you to counter what peach has available to her and what she can do to stop your tools in comparison to what you can do to stop hers before you just decide match ups are even because you lose them

i lost to ally - marth still ***** snake
back when i lost to june's dk a year ago, - marth still ***** DK

just because you lose a MU doesn't mean it's close >_>

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea

Marth ***** snake? When did this happen? Explain, please.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
what looft said, except f-airing shield rising is usually safe, and so is falling unless they ps

marth beats snake imo

Mr-R

Smash Champion
i still don't understand why marth vs peach is being debated as close?

mr-r have you even sat down and analyzed the tools available to you in the MU or do you just claim it's close because you lose it lol

think about what your character has available to you to counter what peach has available to her and what she can do to stop your tools in comparison to what you can do to stop hers before you just decide match ups are even because you lose them

lol wtf, WHEN and i mean quote me
did I say it was a close match up looool, i just asked for help >.>
never said such a thing, ur confusing me with pierce.
I also agree that marth beats snake

etecoon

Smash Hero
yay im glad i wasnt being crazy with the Marth being even with Snake at the very least.
I thought most marth/snake players thought it was even or slightly in marth's favor, AFAIK candy and bizkit are the only good snake's that think snake wins and I don't even know any marth players that think that

clowsui

Smash Legend
snake vs. marth is, at higher levels, better for marth

at the mid level that ish is still a little towards snake's favor...this mu is definitely hard to grasp, you have to play it a lot to get it (as opposed to matchups vs. some other good character like pikachu or ice climbers or maybe even falco)

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Peach's DASH ATTACK can punish marth LANDING? Fair should beat it out if you land, even if she predicts your choice of land
In general, whenever you jump, you are commiting to landing lag at some point. If Marth could just throw out 100% safe Fairs all day, he would never get hit.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
How can people still not just accept the fact that Shaya is always right.

Peach's (Peach'?) dash attack has an annoying disjoint, and it can decently punish a whiffed fair.

Reizilla

Up smash OoS. I noticed Mike doing it a bit during his set with tearbear. Is this another one of those things he's just trying out, like the shieldbreaker bouncing stuff?

Practical application, anybody?

etecoon

Smash Hero
usmash OOS is **** if your opponent gives you the chance to use it, I don't think that's really a new thing though

Reizilla

Yeah, I know it's not new, I've just never really seen anyone use it. Maybe I just need to watch more vids...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Well, in reality the upsmash hitbox has pretty crap [horizontal] range but a reasonably nice disjoint.

It ties in speed with dancing blade oos.
But of course one does 20 damage, and the other... doesnt. And one has transcended priority... and better horizontal range... and yeah, yeah.

There are a slew of characters in this game with shield disadvantage for aerials similar to Marth (-8 standard). The next step up are a lot of characters with around 12 frames. This includes Falcos bair, MKs fair and nair, dks bair******, a reasonably long list that even Im not fully aware of but if I was as truly awesome as Id want to be I should.

**************** = LOOOOOOL LACK OF ANY DISJOINTSSSSSSSSS AND HUGE HURTBOXXXXXXXXX

Unfortunately jab oos and utilt oos has over all better chances of hitting things :(
And DK happens to have aerial mobility, which pretty much sucks. And the animation for the move detracts his foot pretty quickly.

You will find that up smash oos is actually a lot more useful when power shielding things.
Because doing anything else out of one is pretty much a big load of painful time wasting (you are still very easily able to buffer spot dodges and rolls, and you still have a 4 frame shield drop lag).

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
USmash OoS ***** when the other guy is on the ledge. It covers almost every option they have.

∫unk

Smash Master
d-smash is good on the ledge trap too because its easy to tip and it has enough shield knockback to push them off (making it safe)

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Well, in reality the upsmash hitbox has pretty crap [horizontal] range but a reasonably nice disjoint.

It ties in speed with dancing blade oos.
But of course one does 20 damage, and the other... doesnt. And one has transcended priority... and better horizontal range... and yeah, yeah.

There are a slew of characters in this game with shield disadvantage for aerials similar to Marth (-8 standard). The next step up are a lot of characters with around 12 frames. This includes Falcos bair, MKs fair and nair, dks bair******, a reasonably long list that even Im not fully aware of but if I was as truly awesome as Id want to be I should.

**************** = LOOOOOOL LACK OF ANY DISJOINTSSSSSSSSS AND HUGE HURTBOXXXXXXXXX

Unfortunately jab oos and utilt oos has over all better chances of hitting things :(
And DK happens to have aerial mobility, which pretty much sucks. And the animation for the move detracts his foot pretty quickly.

You will find that up smash oos is actually a lot more useful when power shielding things.
Because doing anything else out of one is pretty much a big load of painful time wasting (you are still very easily able to buffer spot dodges and rolls, and you still have a 4 frame shield drop lag).
U-tilt is slower / laggier / not as good cuz u cant do it immeditately out of shield.

I've been using U-smash OOS for a while...

Bengalz that may be true but if they're on the ledge you want them to STAY there, not give them an aerial boost to freedom (unless death percent lul)

Lord Chair

Smash Master
U-tilt is slower / laggier / not as good cuz u cant do it immeditately out of shield.

I've been using U-smash OOS for a while...

Bengalz that may be true but if they're on the ledge you want them to STAY there, not give them an aerial boost to freedom (unless death percent lul)
Utilt is 7+6=13 frames.
Usmash is 13 frames iirc? 12+1.

Get yo facts straight.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
UM?

shield drop is 7 frames. 7+6 = 13

U-smash OOS jump cancelled results in no shield drop time = 12

PQL

Top Bottom