• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

Albert.

Smash Master
can opponents roll/sd through a db every time they block it? it's seriously annoying that they can roll behind me in between db hits (basically making it so i can't shield pressure with it)
The only characters that have been able to consistently do this to me are all in the top 4

Hmmmm

Edit:

Yo, **** diddy.

**** HIM.

He'd still be like high-mid WITHOUT HIS GIMMICK because his general basic stats are really good LOL fuhhhh

Edit #2

Yeah I know im late.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
i don't really recall Mr R "developing" that at all.

A lot of Marth gimmicks have been known for ages, Mr R is just well known for getting away with gimmicks :)

before marth can b reverse shield breaker on the ground though requires him to be dashing for 17 frames or whatever first... a lot of time.
the difference between your "gimmicks"and his **** is that he actually makes a read

training/conditioning -> habits -> delayed reaction because i expect something else = setup =/= gimmick

etecoon

Smash Hero
orion with the real talk

I'd consider a lot of "gimmicks" to be akin to pitching in baseball, an MLB hitter may be able to hit a 95mph fastball out of the park consistently if he knows it's coming but you still see pitches as slow as 75mph getting past them, your reaction works hand in hand with your prediction, condition someone to expect one thing and it can open holes to use your less practical options later on

"gimmicks" can be legit if you have the more solid options(fastball) to back them up, from marth I wouldn't really call it gimmickry, gimmick is like...luigi, a character that ONLY has that oddball **** that shouldn't work but frequently will because not many good people play luigi so most of us don't know the MU so well

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
orion with the real talk

I'd consider a lot of "gimmicks" to be akin to pitching in baseball, an MLG hitter may be able to hit a 95mph fastball out of the park consistently if he knows it's coming but you still see pitches as slow as 75mph getting past them, your reaction works hand in hand with your prediction, condition someone to expect one thing and it can open holes to use your less practical options later on

"gimmicks" can be legit if you have the more solid options(fastball) to back them up, from marth I wouldn't really call it gimmickry, gimmick is like...luigi, a character that ONLY has that oddball **** that shouldn't work but frequently will because not many good people play luigi so most of us don't know the MU so well
dude MLG is not Major league baseball

C.J.

Smash Master
You said MLG hitter. MLG doesn't have hitters. MLB does.
^^^his point

etecoon

Smash Hero
wow I really need to start sleeping for more than two hours at a time ._. FML lately

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I was bored and actually read this whole thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vruQ9WH4sjk
OS does some 0:27-0:30 and the last one is obviously the best example. The only thing I see this as being is initial dash and then a true pivot (phanna's tech) and buffer a turnaround from there to face forward and attack.

However, the only thing that needs to be affirmed is if MK is actually just initial dashing or running. With MK its hard to tell b/c he just glides, and his legs don't move like Marth (too bad he doesn't do one with Marth). One thing to note is that MK does slide a bit when he cancels his run. To me this suggests that OS has something aside from the aforementioned tech, because true pivot would stop all momentum. I hope that OS is truly on to something different, because I can do initial dash>true pivot and it is not something special, and also f-smash on MK is not possible out of grab release with it.
I think this is the nuritake step

It is easy to do nuritake step with Snake. Start with him and work to you normal character (unless you main Snake). Indigo is correct on how it is done. Simply dash and at the end of the animation turn and buffer a crouch. You can repeat it over and go forward or you can do it backwards to retreat. You can also do a true pivot for short distance. The exacution is the same except you turn at the beginning of the dash animation and do not crouch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSGUel12xYU

ChaosDrifter

Smash Lord
that is really interesting! i'd love to see how some of the pros would use that practically in matches, it seems harder to master than IC's chaingrab haha

Top Bottom