• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
You could try spamming autocanceled nairs, just make sure you're familiar with the tip's range. I haven't played Marth in doubles that recently, but it sounds like it would be really good in dubz.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
PD U-smash has terrible knockback...
ya but it has the quickest release time -> hitbox -> damage -> knockback -> versatility ratio of all of Marth's kill moves and can also be done out of a run, including being able to be charged out of a run.

You also stale your usmash John lol I barely use the move. My fsmash is usually stale in doubles though so I guess it depends. Plus DS, which is imo Marth's best kill moves in doubles probably, can't really be combo'd out of throws, esp TL like he was asking.

You know what, moral of the story - don't use Marth in doubles.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
I honestly don't understand why people say that he isn't bad in doubles people just don't utilize his tippers in doubles like they should.

that being said metaknight is BETTER in doubles so there isn't any real reason to use marth over him unless your better with marth

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
d-smash is like frame 4 i think, and the hitbox is really weird kinda like u-tilt, because of all the diff ways it can hit them lol

and I'm pretty sure u-smash doesnt kill at decent percents fresh, and it has no range :l

C.J.

Smash Master
Frame 6 and I love the hitbox that is on Marth. Sends like, straight sideways. So good.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
d-smash is like frame 4 i think, and the hitbox is really weird kinda like u-tilt, because of all the diff ways it can hit them lol

and I'm pretty sure u-smash doesnt kill at decent percents fresh, and it has no range :l
D-Smash is frame 6, IIRC.

And yeah, U-Smash is kinda balls unless you're playing someone who likes to land with an airdodge EVERY TIME.

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
up smash oos is good for punishing a robs nair if they tend to land on you with it. But yeah it does pretty good damage...

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Watched a match the other day of a marth against a Samus I think,

he upsmashed oos a just whiffed fsmash, and the body disjoint grabbed him and lol'd him.

I should try usmash oos more often, I think accompanied with full hop dair oos it "completes" a nice set.

-Ran

Smash Master
So you've just killed your opponent. You're at a killable percent, what do you do to avoid damage until they aren't invincible?

etecoon

Smash Hero
I usually either plank or use some other stage feature like the moving platform on smashville to run away

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I was wondering the exact same thing. I get sooo scared when they have invincibility and have no idea what to do, and don't like getting pushed to the ledge by a lot of characters -_-

Especially when I play Snake against MK, I feel like I take at least 20-30% of my damage per stock(which is like 60% for Snake lmao) off of strings gotten from being invincible >.>

With Marth though I tend to empty short hop a lot and platform camp.

Also I know what you mean John I'm just saying that usmash is a good move to go for if you're in a pinch where your opponent has them grabbed and you need to at least TRY and kill them quick, especially since their DI could be thrown off.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I think an option that a lot of people overlook is running underneath them once they come off of the invincible platform, then fullhop-airdodging. Most characters won't have the tools to punish it on reaction, especially with Marth's air mobility. You'll also be able to double jump or do another action pretty high above the ground.

-Ran

Smash Master
It's a rough subject for me. I keep losing leads because I can't zone them since they are invincible. They get inside, and I make a mistake which results in me taking TONS of damage. I think I surrender an average of 50% per match to invincibility. @.@ My entire lead/momentum is completely lost because of it.

If you go to the ledge, then you run the risk of taking damage when you attempt to come back from the ledge, and against certain characters [Meta Knight] you are putting yourself at a very bad position for the rest of your stock.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You will always be at a disadvantage in that situation, especially if you're a character who relies on walling to stay safe.

If you jump+airdodge you're technically doing it wrong already. One of the best things to do while invincible is actually just wait for defensive maneuvers to ensue, to punish them on reaction. You should actually be safe on the ledge though, you're Marth. Technically you can just ledgeplank until your opponent gives you some room (and eventually, he'll have to anyway since you have a lead).

Jorgeme

Smash Cadet
I like just sitting there inside a shield. Their only option is to grab you which won't do too much damage and wont' lead to any combos Until their invincibility wears off. A lot of player still try to att you attempting to even the stocks. Just don't do it to a character like d3 or falco lol

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I like just sitting there inside a shield. Their only option is to grab you which won't do too much damage and wont' lead to any combos Until their invincibility wears off. A lot of player still try to att you attempting to even the stocks. Just don't do it to a character like d3 or falco lol
I like doing this, but adding in rolls in some sort of greedy attempt to escape unfazed.
Also, using Marth's godlike walk speed to stall a bit before the guessing game. Walking away, slowing down making him think he's got me, then stepping forward some more clean out of range of everything. If the opponent actually runs, he's made a straight roll from me very safe unless I'm looking at a char with godlike air speed or a spacey.

I hate going to the ledge because I get killed out of my RCO. and I can't stall there long enough without DS.

Isn't jumping decent against at least some characters, even for Marth? I can't imagine how, say, Dedede, could lay a good trap if there's lots of land.

lol, Samus' Fsmash is terrible. It's only worse on block (XD)

∫unk

Smash Master
just do something different every time

sure sometimes you'll get hit but most of the time you should get away

it depends on the matchup what options are better

stages with platform are good because marth moves very efficiently on platforms, particularly smashville and battlefield

some players just choose to ledge stall but i think its better overall to mix it up.

also, you're probably getting juggled for 50 because you're not mixing up your DI.

-Ran

Smash Master
also, you're probably getting juggled for 50 because you're not mixing up your DI.
I'm not getting juggled for 50%, but I mean in total I'm taking that much damage from invincibility. There are rare cases such as Meta Knight or Wario though where such **** is possible. =/

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Platform camp and jump around. Retreating fairs. That's what I would do.

But speaking of timing people out, what's Marth's best ways to catch a Wario platform camping on say, Battle Field? Should I be trying t catch landing lag? Reading air dodges?

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Wario cannot platform camp Marth since all Marth has to do is catch his landings and wait for his airdodges.

No really, what kind of answer DID you expect?

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
You can't catch his landings on the top platform, unless you're in the air, in which case he moves faster and can get away... I dunno. I've only played one good Wario and I probably won't play another for a while, so I'm trying to make up for lack of knowledge.

6Mizu

Smash Champion
Somewhere in the SubspaceEmissary(NC, Morrisville)
You can't catch his landings on the top platform, unless you're in the air, in which case he moves faster and can get away... I dunno. I've only played one good Wario and I probably won't play another for a while, so I'm trying to make up for lack of knowledge.
There aren't very many Warios' these days. I could prolly only name 5-6 off the top of my head. Don't worry bout ****** Wario in the air. Worry, about keepin the lead, otherwise he'll camp you even harder.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
You can, really. Time your jump so that you can catch him when he lands on the platform, while staying safe yourself. It takes a slight bit of practice, but it's doable.

-Ran

Smash Master
When Wario doesn't want to get caught, it can be a pain. He has fantastic aerial maneuverability and his air dodge further compliments it. I find the best way to deal with Wario when he's attempting to camp, is to wait for him to descend, in which I'll short hop Uair to auto cancel it, into either a u-tilt or a grab. When timed properly, there's nothing that Wario can do. The grab is harder to time, since you have to pick what side Wario is going to be on, and most tend to air dodge INTO you the moment you Uair, which makes this relatively hard. Luckily, Up-Tilt will get them pretty much every time.

Consequently, this movement sequence prevents Wario from air dodge/nair/grab mix up into you at various percents.

tibs7

Smash Champion
marth has no metagame, he will always be spacing char. which = boring
hate marf

Top Bottom