• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Live Stream/Recording at MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
What does this have to do with anything? We're talking about it not being available for purchase at all because Nintendo hasn't given MLG permission.
It has to do with everything. For Halo 3 and Tekken, there a regular, decent quality stream for FREE. HD was optional and cost $10. The stream only costs money if you pay for HD, the steam is otherwise free of charge.

If the stream is free (and it currently is, since HD is an option, not something you have to buy) then I don't see where the issue is.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet
It has to do with everything. For Halo 3 and Tekken, there a regular, decent quality stream for FREE. HD was optional and cost $10. The stream only costs money if you pay for HD, the steam is otherwise free of charge.

If the stream is free (and it currently is, since HD is an option, not something you have to buy) then I don't see where the issue is.
I don't particularly have a vested interest in watching streamed Tekken, though. I'd like to watch streamed Brawl, which they don't have.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
I don't particularly have a vested interest in watching streamed Tekken, though. I'd like to watch streamed Brawl, which they don't have.
I completely agree with you.

But the issue is that some people are saying it's because Nintendo doesn't want MLG to make money off of people watching the live stream. MLG wouldn't make money off the Brawl stream if no one buys the HD pass to watch Brawl in HD.

Shinjin

Smash Cadet

But the issue is that some people are saying it's because Nintendo doesn't want MLG to make money off of people watching the live stream. MLG wouldn't make money off the Brawl stream if no one buys the HD pass to watch Brawl in HD.
Oh. OH! haha I finally see what you're saying! It's an interesting point, and honestly if anyone bought the HD MLG'd make like $20.

I don't know if Nintendo has said no or if they just haven't responded is the thing.

MLG_JV

Smash Ace
But thats not the issue.

ErikG

Smash Ace

MLG could still make money off of a stream. The idea of the stream is to build hype which brings other people into the game (and therefore MLG events). Not too mention MLG can advertise their merchandise while streaming.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Do you know what this thread proves?

... ... ...that everyone should read AltF4's thread on Copyright law in the debate hall. Get *****, American people; nothing you buy belongs to you.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You know...... I hate Nintendo. A lot.

It's like they don't understand what gamers really want. Any Brawl player would enjoy watching top Brawlers duking it out at the highest levels of play. I can't wait for their corporation to die and some better group of developers who really undertsand what gamers want, to adopt the Nintendo characters.

Merkuri

Smash Lord
Nintendo sucks. They need to hurry up and give permission already.

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Everyone invest in SD cards and save as many matches as possible!

Anyone who has a camera, please try to record matches! AllieD recorded the final match between M2K and Ally, and so far I haven't seen Nintendo sue him or anything dumb.

Honestly though, if Nintendo has taken this long to respond to streaming brawl, do you think they'd even notice if MLG went ahead and streamed it anyways? I was half-joking above, but don't you think that if Nintendo were to get mad about an MLG video being uploaded to youtube that something woulda happened by now? I really wonder if anyone from MLG has even SPOKEN to a Nintendo rep. I can't shake the feeling that something more can be done about this.

And why is Halo being streamed with no issues? Is Microsoft just better at responding to people?
Different companies, different policys.

Nintendo would be mad if MLG were to just go ahead and stream it anyway behind their backs. So no, not a smart idea.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I had a brief e-mail exchange with Nintendo. Probably doesn't mean anything but let me know what you think:

Me:

Hello,

I have a quick question that I was hoping you could answer. MLG has been requesting permission from Nintendo for some time now to stream their Super Smash Bros. Brawl competitions over the internet. Nintendo has still not replied and MLG is unable to release any videos of their matches or show any of the matches on live stream until they do receive Nintendo's permission. For some reason they still haven't gotten a reply.

Is there any reason Nintendo hasn't replied yet? Do you know when they will have an answer?
Nintendo:

Hello,

"Nintendo" is a registered trademark of Nintendo of America Inc. Nintendo owns extensive intellectual property rights in all of its products, including video game systems, game titles, characters, game software, graphics, artwork, and screen shots. Nintendo also retains rights in content on Nintendo's websites, including articles, artwork, screen shots and other files. Our general policy is to decline requests for permission for the use of Nintendo properties.

Sincerely,

Dervin Camden
Nintendo of America Inc.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
You shouldn't have emailed them regarding it, Not saying that nintendo will say yes, but that's just some random customer service/Q&A employee he doesn't know anything

Stop taking into your hands, MLG knows what they're doing they probably have people for this sorta thing, You can't really get impatient or mad at them for following the rules

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I have to agree with Smiley on this one.

Most likely MLG is wording their request in a way that a default answer like the one given to you wont quite justify a declination of allowing MLG to have a live stream.

MLG is probably working day and night to figure a way out around this barrier of red tape.

NNID
Budget_Player
Nintendo only cares for money obv
...But...

The only way nintendo could possibly "make" money off of denying MLG the rights to stream brawl is if they assume that there's actual competition between them and MLG; that is, that shutting down MLG is a good thing for nintendo (which it obviously isn't).

Nintendo's stupid policies are losing money for nintendo! Not allowing hacked games with things like gecko OS (and stating that doing so violates the system's EULA)? There's no winners-just jaded hackers who love Brawl+/Brawl-/just ****ing playing as Sephiroth in brawl who decide, "Hmm, I'm not going to keep supporting nintendo but rather go with a company like Valve who supports this kind of thing themselves in offline games." Not allowing a tournament to stream matches online? Again, there is NO WINNER-just angry brawlers who wanted to see the top level matches and are now upset at nintendo, and a loss of hype for one of the more valuable modern nintendo franchises-a direct loss for nintendo on both counts.

Do you know what this thread proves?

... ... ...that everyone should read AltF4's thread on Copyright law in the debate hall. Get *****, American people; nothing you buy belongs to you.
Yeah, I'm gonna go look at that now.

EDIT: Jack, can you link to the one you mean?

etecoon

Smash Hero
haven't read that thread but it's old news, we all know our copyright laws are a joke and getting worse constantly. have to agree that nintendo has been very very disappointing as of late and their indifference to the MLG livestream is just the latest in a very long line of failures. prolly still getting the next metroid/zelda games but pretty much no chance in hell that I ever buy one of their systems again

NNID
Budget_Player
haven't read that thread but it's old news, we all know our copyright laws are a joke and getting worse constantly. have to agree that nintendo has been very very disappointing as of late and their indifference to the MLG livestream is just the latest in a very long line of failures. prolly still getting the next metroid/zelda games but pretty much no chance in hell that I ever buy one of their systems again
And I feel the same way. And they make these policies to make money... :laugh: It's sickening.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
...But...

The only way nintendo could possibly "make" money off of denying MLG the rights to stream brawl is if they assume that there's actual competition between them and MLG; that is, that shutting down MLG is a good thing for nintendo (which it obviously isn't).

Nintendo's stupid policies are losing money for nintendo! Not allowing hacked games with things like gecko OS (and stating that doing so violates the system's EULA)? There's no winners-just jaded hackers who love Brawl+/Brawl-/just ****ing playing as Sephiroth in brawl who decide, "Hmm, I'm not going to keep supporting nintendo but rather go with a company like Valve who supports this kind of thing themselves in offline games." Not allowing a tournament to stream matches online? Again, there is NO WINNER-just angry brawlers who wanted to see the top level matches and are now upset at nintendo, and a loss of hype for one of the more valuable modern nintendo franchises-a direct loss for nintendo on both counts.
This thread is about LIVE STREAM/RECORDING. please keep it that way.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
This thread is about LIVE STREAM/RECORDING. please keep it that way.
There's nothing off topic about that post. Unless your intentions were only for updates on livestream. If that's the case, I'd recommend considering this be the official livestream thread. We don't need multiple threads on the subject.

Something I don't understand. Nintendo wants gaming to become more widespread through society. Wouldn't publicizing one of their games get them more attention? Wouldn't allowing MLG to become larger be good for them? Live stream would definitely be a big hand in doing that. Then again, we don't know what's actually being said between MLG and Nintendo. Or maybe I missed something?

CR4SH

Smash Lord
You know...... I hate Nintendo. A lot.

It's like they don't understand what gamers really want. Any Brawl player would enjoy watching top Brawlers duking it out at the highest levels of play. I can't wait for their corporation to die and some better group of developers who really undertsand what gamers want, to adopt the Nintendo characters.
I feel like I'm disagreeing with you in particular all over the place and thats not what I mean to do.

But I think that nintendo has the best idea what "gamers" really want out of any company out there. And I think their sales numbers are indisputable proof of that. People that play games, as a whole, want wii sports, wii fit and mario galaxy more than just about anything else.

Acting like competitive gamers are the norm as opposed to extreme cases is misguided IMO. Most people don't give 2 ****s about a livestream. And nintendo is in the business to sell games (that means accommodating the lowest common denominator).

Yeah its too bad they're not willing to support the competitive scene, but if sony didn't think they'd sell more copies of tekken6 supporting MLG tekken, they WOULD NOT be doing it. Business is businesss, no matter what type.

NNID
Budget_Player
So... you would actively hurt a company that sponsors video games-your video games to be exact? A company shelling out 60k in prizes for the best players? Why would you ever want to hurt these people? They don't make their own games, they aren't competing with you because you don't run tournaments... Nintendo should be grateful that smash has a competitive circuit-hearing that you can win $12,000 by playing a game really well sounds like a nice incentive to me to buy the game...

For an analogy: it's like Ford, BMW, and Mercedes coming together and trying to shut down NASCAR. Seems pretty accurate to me.

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
So... you would actively hurt a company that sponsors video games-your video games to be exact? A company shelling out 60k in prizes for the best players? Why would you ever want to hurt these people? They don't make their own games, they aren't competing with you because you don't run tournaments... Nintendo should be grateful that smash has a competitive circuit-hearing that you can win $12,000 by playing a game really well sounds like a nice incentive to me to buy the game...

For an analogy: it's like Ford, BMW, and Mercedes coming together and trying to shut down NASCAR. Seems pretty accurate to me.
I disagree. Nintendo, or more accurately, Sakurai, didn't want Brawl to be competitive. It's possible that they don't want to be associated with a competitive environment because that will give them an image that many people don't want to be involved with. Non-smashers that play WiiSports may not gravitate toward a game that takes so much skill. It might be intimidating.

If I'm correct, a lot of people, non-competitive smashers, hated that they were getting their ***** handed to them when all they wanted was a friendly match.

In other words, Nintendo doesn't want to man up. If they give the rights to MLG for Live stream, what will they give them next? Give a mouse a cookie, he'll want some milk. If MLG were to get more popular, sure, Nintendo's game would grow in popularity. But is a competitive environment what they want to look like? No. They'd rather play Party Games where everyone can win.

**** Nintendo.

CR4SH

Smash Lord

No, actually thats a terrible analogy. NASCAR makes ford money and provides free advertisment in a way that ford feels is beneficial. The fastest car with a Ford tag on it is a nascar, without question.The fact that you even mentioned BMW and mercedes in regards to nascar makes me wonder if you're even serious. Germany does their own thing, its called DTM (yes I googled that).

Bottom line, companies do what they think will make them money. Nintendo doesn't think it has money to make in mlg, so they don't support it. End of story.

You shouldn't have emailed them regarding it, Not saying that nintendo will say yes, but that's just some random customer service/Q&A employee he doesn't know anything.
Wrong. He knows basic company policy. And when a company doesn't have a vested interest in something, they go by basic company policy. Bengals basically got the complete answer and the thread being locked right after his post would have made sense lol.

I have to agree with Smiley on this one.
Well, then you're both wrong.

NNID
Budget_Player
No, actually thats a terrible analogy. NASCAR makes ford money and provides free advertisment in a way that ford feels is beneficial. The fastest car with a Ford tag on it is a nascar, without question.The fact that you even mentioned BMW and mercedes in regards to nascar makes me wonder if you're even serious. Germany does their own thing, its called DTM (yes I googled that).
K, sorry.

Bottom line, companies do what they think will make them money. Nintendo doesn't think it has money to make in mlg, so they don't support it. End of story.
But nintendo doesn't lose money on this. Not in the slightest! :mad:

Nintendo ****in' SUCKS. And so do copyright laws.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
So... now that we know Nintendo isn't going to give MLG LiveStream permission, how are we going to get their attention and let them know that treating their hardcore userbase like this isn't going to fly anymore?

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
So... now that we know Nintendo isn't going to give MLG LiveStream permission, how are we going to get their attention and let them know that treating their hardcore userbase like this isn't going to fly anymore?
Egg their houses.

Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ***, but if you want to organize a picket of hate, please do. I would join that **** in a hearbeat.

iRJi

Smash Champion
All of this I find hard to believe. I don't want to point fingers at anyone, but some comments about MLG even talking to a rep or putting in more effort to at least get in contact with one seems logical. It is understandable that Nintendo want's family oriented game play for their users, therefore by not responding to MLG, it would help them keep it around a much more friendly environment. HOWEVER, Nintendo must understand that no matter what you try to do to limit competitiveness, it will always be a factor that will never die. The biggest buyers of their system is in fact families, but families buy them for their KIDS. I just don't understand what is coursing through their minds. Do they think we just play games because it looks cool? Games have a goal, and to achieve that goal there will be a challenge, that alone creates competitively. Nintendo fails to realize that without competitive play, they will seize to exist.

The reason why I brought this up is because while it might be believable that reps are trying to get on contact with MLG, I also know how MLG in general operates when it comes to the community. How hard are you actually trying to get in contact with them? To be quite frank, you MLG reps know, and I know, that Brawl is not the main source of income. Brawl is actually just a side thing, so you can gain more respect among other communities. I don't mean to attack you, but Halo is, and always will be the thing that will always get the spot light. I know this because I am a huge halo player. Since halo is the main thing, it will always get the proper care it deserves first, while other events can take a bit of a beating before anything actually happens. My main question still stands: How hard are you actually trying to get in contact with Nintendo. How hard are you actually trying to persuade them? I find it hard to fully believe that Nintendo will just not respond to you, let alone turn down an opportunity to get massive advertising.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Egg their houses.

Nintendo doesn't give a rat's ***, but if you want to organize a picket of hate, please do. I would join that **** in a hearbeat.
I was just in Seattle, too. I drove my girlfriend to the new NoA building so she could take pictures in front of it (and see the Mario Kart themed parking garage, :p ), so I would have been more than happy to organize a picket in front of NoA with WA smashers and such. Something needs to be done here. This isn't just "well, we disagree with MLG and so here's our reason for not giving them permission," this is outright ignoring us.

The hardcore userbase kept Nintendo on top for 25 years, and now that soccer moms finally outnumber us, they act as though we aren't important anymore. At bare minimum, we need to spam their inboxes or something. Really let them know that we're out here, that we're angry at them, and that we won't be ignored.

Jem.

Smash Master
I hope Brawl gets streamed. It sucks for everyone at home that they don't even get to see the hype/matches. All they get is the stories about it. A stream would surely help for hype, I know hundreds who would watch it.

Allied

Smash Master
Did anyone figure out why melee was streamed in MLG? just curious i didnt read this thread xD

thanks!~ <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom