• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Live Stream/Recording at MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kith

Smash Ace
So they're not gonna stream, and we can't connect our devices to offer our own stream...the Wii's aren't hacked so there's not gonna be a replay. **** it, historians sometime in the distant future won't even know this thing happened -.-

@Twinkie: That would be a poor reason to not stream what is likely to be the 2nd biggest game on the circuit. If all MLG really wants is money (specifically optional HD money) than they're treading a thin line and making some questionable decisions. And if for Tekken and Halo 3 they make the standard quality stream any less quality than it has been in the past, then I'll have lost all respect for them.
How is it a poor reason?

Brawl doesn't get an HD stream because Brawl cannot go HD. Makes perfect sense. Your argument had nothing to do with my statement. You're arguing that since Brawl is "likely to be the 2nd biggest game on the circuit", they must have an HD stream, because it's important and they should make money off of it. What you're missing is that Brawl cannot go HD! The game is Standard Definition. They can't offer a service that they can't provide you with, can't they? The game's importance doesn't have anything to do with the game's capabilities.

I think you're confusing HD for HQ.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
How is it a poor reason?

Brawl doesn't get an HD stream because Brawl cannot go HD. Makes perfect sense. Your argument had nothing to do with my statement. You're arguing that since Brawl is "likely to be the 2nd biggest game on the circuit", they must have an HD stream, because it's important and they should make money off of it. What you're missing is that Brawl cannot go HD! The game is Standard Definition. They can't offer a service that they can't provide you with, can't they? The game's importance doesn't have anything to do with the game's capabilities.

I think you're confusing HD for HQ.
I think you're confusing his post... I think what he meant to say, or at least what I got from it, is that if MLG isn't offering a Brawl stream because they can't charge for an HD stream, because Brawl doesn't go HD, then that's a stupid reason which further proves that MLG is all about the money now.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Zombie Dog is correct, I don't care about or want an HD stream. Brawl can't go HD, that doesn't mean we shouldn't get a live stream.

MLG just wants money now and they can't make the $10 off HD Brawl streams so they aren't giving us a stream.

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
if you have been to any MLG ever you know that any individual who is not working for MLG will have nothing to do with touching most of the set up...let alone set up a entire livestream station.

However, I can respect MLG not announcing having/not having a stream...because if they say they WON'T I can only imagine the amount of whining all over the place. It makes sense to just wait it out and not say anything before dumping the truth...like my ex girlfriend D:

Seriously can smash just like boycott MLG this tourney is too much fail for the smash community.
perhaps in due time...

but whatever right, they are signing the checks. here is my +1 for want of a stream ;__;

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
MLG seems to be trying to do everything possible to ruin their relationship with our community.

Messatsu!

Smash Journeyman
besides starting to pay out thousands of dollars and establishing respected pros world wide? they must hate us a lot.

Braggins

Smash Apprentice
besides starting to pay out thousands of dollars and establishing respected pros world wide? they must hate us a lot.
The smash community does fine doing tournaments on our own. It is cool that they are doing tournaments for us with better pay outs but I doubt many people really care about the mainstream respect that comes with MLG. There is no reason for them to ignore the way our community does things when we've shown that when it comes to our game we really know what we are doing. I don't think MLG hates us or anything. But, other than doing brawl tournaments in general they haven't done a very good job at handling everything else with respect to our community.

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Regardless of the monetary benefits, how they are running it is awkward. And obviously people have taken notice.

Look, I'm pretty sure there will be a stream. Regardless of whether or not there will be an HD stream for other games, every game will have a regular stream plus an HD stream (except Brawl, as it can't be run in HD). That's what they did with WoW last year.

People shouldn't be worried.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Regardless? how can you disregard money? It's what the whole competition is about! Why would you travel OoS, if theres no chance to win money?

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Regardless? how can you disregard money? It's what the whole competition is about! Why would you travel OoS, if theres no chance to win money?
Probably to have fun and meet new people/see old friends. Why do so many AM teams constantly go to Halo 3 events even though they never make money?

There is more to this than money you know.

Rajam

Smash Champion
but whatever right, they are signing the checks. here is my +1 for want of a stream ;__;
I also sign this. I'm not even from North America, so it's not like I'm not at MLG because I don't want to or something; I'd like to see this huge event for Brawl livestreamed around the world :O

+2

vVv Rapture

Smash Lord
Writing Team
Well, I'd ask all the people that don't place in the money regularly, but continue to attend tournaments, especially ones that include top players that mostly always place in the money.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
Well, now I feel awful for some of things I've been saying. I wasn't aware that they needed company approval to live stream this.

I'm sorry for how I reacted, thank you MLG for clarifying the issue (and Werekill for the link to that post)

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
Well, now I feel awful for some of things I've been saying. I wasn't aware that they needed company approval to live stream this.

I'm sorry for how I reacted, thank you MLG for clarifying the issue (and Werekill for the link to that post)
This is why you should wait patiently and not make a total fool of yourself. With this much money being used for such a huge event, and so much money on the line to be made of course they have to go through official channels. You do NOT want a multi million dollar corporation on your companies rear end just because they didnt get clearance.

And like wise, if nintendo still says no the streaming it in the future, we'll have to just accept it as fact and move on. It's copyrighted by them, its THEIR game. Not yours, not MLGs.

Kith

Smash Ace
And in comes the people who think they're geniuses because they were too scared to voice an opinion until after everything's been clarified.

Given the circumstances, it was perfectly alright to be upset at MLG about the lack of livestreaming, because they didn't clarify exactly why they wouldn't do it. Now we're aware of the reasons why they can't stream, and people are voicing their new opinions based off of the information at hand. It wasn't obvious that this was the reason, because if it was, people would have posted about it already.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
And in comes the people who think they're geniuses because they were too scared to voice an opinion until after everything's been clarified.

Given the circumstances, it was perfectly alright to be upset at MLG about the lack of livestreaming, because they didn't clarify exactly why they wouldn't do it. Now we're aware of the reasons why they can't stream, and people are voicing their new opinions based off of the information at hand. It wasn't obvious that this was the reason, because if it was, people would have posted about it already.
think of it this way, why say anything until you know theanswer?

Kith

Smash Ace
People knew the answer already, but people weren't told why the answer was what it was :-P. All I'm saying is that it made perfect sense for people to have been upset at MLG for not having a livestream, because they had not actually stated the reasoning behind it. They weren't making a fool of themselves. Of course, if anybody is still upset at MLG, that's a different story.

dj asakura

Smash Ace
This is why you should wait patiently and not make a total fool of yourself. With this much money being used for such a huge event, and so much money on the line to be made of course they have to go through official channels. You do NOT want a multi million dollar corporation on your companies rear end just because they didnt get clearance.

And like wise, if nintendo still says no the streaming it in the future, we'll have to just accept it as fact and move on. It's copyrighted by them, its THEIR game. Not yours, not MLGs.
I didn't say I was taking back my words did I? I said I was sorry.

MLG has a history of not giving players all the information when something the fans may not like happens. My example with GoW2 proves that point pretty well.

I had every right to be upset with MLG and critical of them UNTIL they gave me a reason to think otherwise. They should have let us know initially why there may not have been a Brawl stream and kept us informed a long the way.

Kith

Smash Ace
Well, it's awesome for those of us who are here, but I still wish it was being streamed

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
Is it possible for any of the other circuits to be streamed?
As long as MLG can get Nintendo to sign in the future then yes. Its all in Nintendo's hands now whether it can be streamed at future events.

I wouldn't mind knowing why it is Nintendo are holding back, whether it is just because they don't want to, whether they aren't happy with MLG putting adverts and commentary in there or whether MLG had planned to have a HD (yeah brawl isn't HD, but the current HD stream is nowhere near 720p, its just slightly less crappy and compressed, so a brawl "HD" is possible ;)), and Nintendo aren't happy without a cut of the money.

I don't think its worth getting upset at MLG personally, I know a lot of people are and I can totally understand, but they aren't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
we have a facebook update box in the right hand corner.

and you guys are still wanting more????

Tarmogoyf

Smash Master
Uh, yeah, I'd like to WATCH THE MATCHES LIKE IN EVERY BIG TOURNAMENT?

Seriously, reading commentary /=/ watching the game at all.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Reading commentary =/=/=/=/=/=/= actually watching matches. This blows hardcore.

Rappster

Smash Ace
Reading commentary =/=/=/=/=/=/= actually watching matches. This blows hardcore.
you have six slashes. that's like saying "commentary is not not not not not not equal to watching matches."

= "commentary is (not not)^3 equal to watching matching matches"
everyone knows using a double not is the same as using nothing. ergo,
="commentary is (0)^3 equal to watching matches"
="commentary is equal to watching matches"
QED.
go ***** somewhere else pls

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
STFU, you know it was to emphasize that it is most definitely not equal.

-1 Rep.

rolrctermaniac

Smash Apprentice
you have six slashes. that's like saying "commentary is not not not not not not equal to watching matches."

= "commentary is (not not)^3 equal to watching matching matches"
everyone knows using a double not is the same as using nothing. ergo,
="commentary is (0)^3 equal to watching matches"
="commentary is equal to watching matches"
QED.
go ***** somewhere else pls
Regardless what you say it still sucks i want to watch matches not hear the score...

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Wow, most of u smashers are soo ungrateful. Mlg did everything it could. Be f'ing grateful that mlg picked up this horrible game.

Merce

Smash Cadet
Does anyone have handheld recording there? It'd be nice to know that we might get some youtube goodness tonight/tomorrow.

I wish they didn't have a Facebook chat. A regular chat room would've been miles better than a Facebook chat room. I'm glad they had the live ticker though. The updates were real detailed. :D

Tokyoinamerica

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tokyodown
I hope MLG and Nintendo get something done before Columbus. Everyone was amazed with Tekken 6, if brawl was up people would be like wtf?

I hope they get it up/

nevershootme

Smash Master
does doing an audio commentary (live podcast) require approval from nintendo? because you talk about the game/players and show no in-game footage anyways. it's the best possible solution outside of liveblog and wall chat. clearly there's no mention of it in this thread

dj asakura

Smash Ace
does doing an audio commentary (live podcast) require approval from nintendo? because you talk about the game/players and show no in-game footage anyways. it's the best possible solution outside of liveblog and wall chat. clearly there's no mention of it in this thread
That could be a great idea if they aren't able to get a live video stream. I'd suggest sending a PM to JV or Deimos about that idea and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom