• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Live Stream/Recording at MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prawn

Smash Master
it honestly is bull****

i lose so much interest in MLG without a stream of smash and i know other people feel the same way.

Jem.

Smash Master
I disagree. Nintendo, or more accurately, Sakurai, didn't want Brawl to be competitive. It's possible that they don't want to be associated with a competitive environment because that will give them an image that many people don't want to be involved with. Non-smashers that play WiiSports may not gravitate toward a game that takes so much skill. It might be intimidating.

If I'm correct, a lot of people, non-competitive smashers, hated that they were getting their ***** handed to them when all they wanted was a friendly match.

In other words, Nintendo doesn't want to man up. If they give the rights to MLG for Live stream, what will they give them next? Give a mouse a cookie, he'll want some milk. If MLG were to get more popular, sure, Nintendo's game would grow in popularity. But is a competitive environment what they want to look like? No. They'd rather play Party Games where everyone can win.

**** Nintendo.
Every game that has multiplayer has the ability to turn competitive, as long as there is a winner and a loser, it will be competitive. Who cares if some little nintendo fanboy got jv 4 stocked. They just wont show up to tournaments again, or wont play that player again. It's not like they're going to throw brawl away or trade it in because some tournament player jv-4'd them. Brawl is a competitive game, whether everyone claims Sakurai TRIED to make it uncompetitive or not. (Which, I would like to see a direct quote, I only hear people make the assumption because of melee vs brawl discussions.)

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Every game that has multiplayer has the ability to turn competitive, as long as there is a winner and a loser, it will be competitive. Who cares if some little nintendo fanboy got jv 4 stocked. They just wont show up to tournaments again, or wont play that player again. It's not like they're going to throw brawl away or trade it in because some tournament player jv-4'd them. Brawl is a competitive game, whether everyone claims Sakurai TRIED to make it uncompetitive or not. (Which, I would like to see a direct quote, I only hear people make the assumption because of melee vs brawl discussions.)
source: http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853748p2.html

IGN: Smash Bros. is a very competitive series, but you have avoided detailed online stat tracking and leader board ranking systems for Brawl. Why is that?

Masahiro Sakurai: Well, I'm sure that people hitting ranks one through 10, were there such a ranking system, would be incredibly pleased with it and having a lot of fun. But, you know, it's not fun for everybody involved per se if such a system were to exist. I was asked this time around to try and get Wi-Fi into the game and so certainly we've managed to get wireless battles so you can play with people in other places. But it's really a game in my mind that has been designed to be played with a smaller group of people -- be that a group of friends or within your house a group of family members -- competing in the small circles and not really worrying about winning and losing so much as the process that gets you there. That is where the fun should hopefully be for a lot of people. It can also be kind of trying and painful for some people who want to be at the top and think that they're really good at Smash and they look at their online ranking and they're the one-hundred-thousandth best Smash Bros. player -- those are some of the reasons I've decided not to go with leader boards.
random lulz

IGN: Thanks so much for your time, Mr. Sakurai. We just have a couple final questions. First, who is your favorite character to play with in Brawl and do you think there is anybody in the world who can regularly win matches as Dedede?

Masahiro Sakurai: [Laughs] I'm in love with all of my characters and I couldn't possibly choose one. And I personally believe that no matter which character you choose, there is the possibility that you can win your matches. And there is no character that will guarantee that you will win.

Sakurai lives his life under contradictions. This was supposed to be one of the hardcore games out on the Wii, yet, his vision for it was completely casual.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
IGN: Thanks so much for your time, Mr. Sakurai. We just have a couple final questions. First, who is your favorite character to play with in Brawl and do you think there is anybody in the world who can regularly win matches as Dedede?

Masahiro Sakurai: [Laughs] I'm in love with all of my characters and I couldn't possibly choose one. And I personally believe that no matter which character you choose, there is the possibility that you can win your matches. And there is no character that will guarantee that you will win.
And I personally believe that no matter which character you choose, there is the possibility that you can win your matches. And there is no character that will guarantee that you will win.
And there is no character that will guarantee that you will win.
no character that will guarantee that you will win.
no character

CRUSH_

Smash Cadet
can't believe MK's still legal -_-

someone should make a custom character select screen where MK is just not there. everyone who brings their wiis to tournaments can use it. That'd be hilarious

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Calling an audio stream "risky" is completely ridiculous. We should definitely have one at the next event.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Wait, we're seriously still on the fence about this?? There's STILL no progress made on this topic???

...someone remind me, why are we making MLG money? What, exactly, was the point of them buying us? Because, from where I see it, I'm pretty sure we're no better off.

NNID
Budget_Player
Wait, we're seriously still on the fence about this?? There's STILL no progress made on this topic???

...someone remind me, why are we making MLG money? What, exactly, was the point of them buying us? Because, from where I see it, I'm pretty sure we're no better off.
The $60000 in prizes at each event probably doesn't hurt.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Yeah, 60K$ that they are making back, PLUS INTEREST, thanks to advertising sales (if we are to assume that they are a business and they, like businesses tend to do, turn a profit). So, basically, we can get treated worse than the other two (or more, in the future) events, but it's ok because M2K and Ally are getting paid more.

...really? I'm serious, I really think we should be complaining more than this.

EDIT: Also, MLG is only paying out 60K$ at all events combined, not 60k$ at each event. Big difference.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum

Making MLG money? MLG gives out $7,000 per event. If the event caps at 256 entrants they make back $8,960. Then MLG has to pay for staff to run and organize the event. Then theres the whole setup team, equipment, shipping equipment etc. MLG provides this community something many other communities would kill for, they are trying to get Nintendo to respond about the Live stream but doing it without their consent could result in a lawsuit. Know that MLG is trying and cross your fingers for Raleigh.

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
With all due respect, ref, how many advertisements, sponsorships, and product placements are there at a typical MLG event? Now, guess how much a CORPORATION will pay to have their ads placed in a venue where hundreds, if not thousands, of people would see it live, and potentially millions could see it or experience it (in some type form or fashion) over the internet?

Yeah, MLG doesn't make their money off entry fees; they make the player pot off of them. The BIG money comes from advertising. When I say we're making MLG money, I mean in players / observers coming to see the ads plastered all over the venue, thus increasing MLGs rapport and allowing them to charge companies more for its increasingly valuable ad space.

If we STOP GOING to their events, their ad value goes down, and they make less money. Simple as that.

Besides, you say "just be patient, they are trying", to which my response is "no they aren't". I've personally driven to NOA headquarters myself a few weeks ago (just to show my GF where it was). If they aren't responding to phone calls or e-mails, knock on their door. There are PLENTY of ways MLG could work harder to make this happen; the fact of the matter is that if Live Streams don't happen, it's because MLG doesn't CARE enough for them to happen. It's because it's not a priority to them, which means, by extension, that WE are not a priority to them.

I'm sorry, but I don't like thinking that our PARENT COMPANY, the one that OWNS OUR FORUM, doesn't think we're a priority.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
NoA is a joke

you want to handle business? go to Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom