• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's new tier placing.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
its hard to space jiggs, zair goes over the little pink piece of gum. Jiggz cannot be gimped by link. PERIOD. Jiggz has little trouble gimping link, its like popping a balloon and watching it slowly fall.

Oddler

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OddlerPro
Jiggz cannot be gimped by link. PERIOD.
Are you kidding me? You can EASILY gimp Jiggz. I LOVE foot stooling them twice in a row after they try to gimp YOU and watching them not get back from that. Same goes with Kirby and DDD. I have tons of replays of me doing it to mostly Kirby...

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding me? You can EASILY gimp Jiggz. I LOVE foot stooling them twice in a row after they try to gimp YOU and watching them not get back from that. Same goes with Kirby and DDD. I have tons of replays of me doing it to mostly Kirby...
well its not wise most of the time to try to gimp jiggz. Going offstage puts u at risk. I play online only so footstools are unlikely to occur.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
Put the vids up.

Deva

Smash Lord
lol, in a competitive environment, jumping off stage to footstool jiggz or any of those characters is the last thing you'd want to try to do. Not only are you putting yourself at an extremely high risk, but if the players are good they'll try to recover so they would avoid that kind of situation and instead gimp you when you get out there.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
lol, in a competitive environment, jumping off stage to footstool jiggz or any of those characters is the last thing you'd want to try to do. Not only are you putting yourself at an extremely high risk, but if the players are good they'll try to recover so they would avoid that kind of situation and instead gimp you when you get out there.

fighting off stage in general with Link CAN be dangerous anyway

Lemonwater

Smash Ace
Yay we're at the top of trash tier now! =P

But seriously, Link is better than that by far lol

Hue

Smash Cadet
I honestly don't understand why people hate Link's recovery so much. Sure, it's one of the worse recoveries in the game, but it's not hard to live to 150-200% if you don't get gimped.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
I honestly don't understand why people hate Link's recovery so much. Sure, it's one of the worse recoveries in the game, but it's not hard to live to 150-200% if you don't get gimped.
But that's exactly it. Anybody can gimp us at around 40%.

Hue

Smash Cadet
Just because they can doesn't mean you have to let them. How do you think the pro Links win? They don't get gimped.

Hue

Smash Cadet
Even pro Link's get gimped.
Yeah, it happens to everyone, the point is as you gain experience it happens less often. People talk like Link is hopeless because of his recovery and gimpability, but his recovery is useable, and gimps are almost always avoidable, even if you miss one every now and then.

sasook

Smash Champion
Even if, with proper DI, Link isn't as easily gimped, it doesn't take away that his recovery is absolute garbage in comparison to other characters. You just can't refute that point. Trying to say Link has a "good" recovery is like saying it's like ROB's. Trying to say it's decent is like saying it's like Falcon's. Sure, it works with DI, but in comparison to other characters, it still sucks.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
He's not saying Link's recovery is good, he's just saying that it isn't absolute trash like everyone thinks. Which is true.

But you also have to take into account that even with proper DI Link usually barely makes it back onto stage. While gimps are can be avoided through proper use of a boomerang or a bomb, many types of gimps just can't be dodged or prevented, such as when they grab onto the ledge right before you UpB into it, or when they have a perfect spike and recovery like ROB's.

Lawz.

The Original Deadpool Fan
NNID
Lawz_Fearless
He's not saying Link's recovery is good, he's just saying that it isn't absolute trash like everyone thinks. Which is true.

But you also have to take into account that even with proper DI Link usually barely makes it back onto stage. While gimps are can be avoided through proper use of a boomerang or a bomb, many types of gimps just can't be dodged or prevented, such as when they grab onto the ledge right before you UpB into it, or when they have a perfect spike and recovery like ROB's.

the reason people say it's bad is because most people knock Link below the stage so they grab the edge. simple as that.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
in brawl, if u dont get gimped while u are sent oiff the stage, u will almost alway recover, no matter how far u are sent flying. Unfortunetly, this isnt true for link (and a few others). That is why his recovery fails. Funny thing is that link was never that good at jumping in his games either =P

You've never played AoL or Majora's Mask? Dude's a freakin ninja!

@Kalm, I'd Argue Ganon's recorvery is better, actually. I can come back from things with Ganon I can't with Link.

Finns7

Smash Ace
But you cant throw projectiles out to save you or blow yourself up. On paper Ganons is better but in the random game that we call brawl link wins.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Take out ROB and Meta.

Link would be in tier 6 rather than tier 8

in brawl, if u dont get gimped while u are sent oiff the stage, u will almost alway recover, no matter how far u are sent flying. Unfortunetly, this isnt true for link (and a few others). That is why his recovery fails. Funny thing is that link was never that good at jumping in his games either =P
Only other character is ganon.

Even all of the tethers can make it back if they aren't edge hogged

Saying even that. Ivysaur and olimar are the only characters with tether problems.

Hue

Smash Cadet
Some characters (like Ike) have recoveries that can only move them a decent distance in either a horizontal or a vertical direction. If you send them downwards off the stage enough that their second jump will not bring them to the level of the stage or directly beneath it, they can't recover at all. Link doesn't have that particular problem, as his up+B gives decent horizontal and vertical distance, and his zair has a pretty good reach (though in almost every situation where zair can reach, up+B can too, zair is just sometimes safer). Link can recovery from anywhere above the stage, and below it if he's not too far away.

He is at a disadvantage, but with good DI his recovery isn't as unusable as most people make it seem. Zair can also sometimes protect you from being sent off the stage at all, if you're quick enough. I personally think Link does have a "good" recovery, in that in most circumstances it's sufficient to survive, other characters just have much better ones.

Top Bottom