• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's new tier placing.

Finns7

Smash Ace
This is true Imo, Links can protect himself in certain situations, angles or matchups. Dont count your rang or bomb to save you though against meta all the time, it cant cover all angles. Imagine how a Snake must feel against a DK @_@...........

Finns7

Smash Ace
True, but Link has alot of more options in certain ways. It depends on matchups though

I still find Ganon's recovery to be better, sometimes if someone gimps me I can use them to help me get back. (Roob likes to gimp with the diddy facehump) and it seems to take me farther. Link has some defense against gimps (his upB has some priority, and if he's holding a bomb sometimes it can save him.) but if you get so much as Wario naired offstage, stock gone. (Unless you're holding the afore mentioned bomb)

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I still find Ganon's recovery to be better, sometimes if someone gimps me I can use them to help me get back. (Roob likes to gimp with the diddy facehump) and it seems to take me farther. Link has some defense against gimps (his upB has some priority, and if he's holding a bomb sometimes it can save him.) but if you get so much as Wario naired offstage, stock gone. (Unless you're holding the afore mentioned bomb)
The only thing better about Ganon's recovery is the higher vertical reach, but that's it. Link has much more safer options on not getting gimped, throwing out boomerang for example, a bomb may even save him once or twice. Ganon's recovery is much easier to gimp, as it has less priority, and as he has less options while out of stage.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
hmmm i also feel that ganny has a better upB. Not to say that link doesnt have a better whole recovery but ganny's upB just seems better

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
in brawl, if u dont get gimped while u are sent oiff the stage, u will almost alway recover, no matter how far u are sent flying. Unfortunetly, this isnt true for link (and a few others). That is why his recovery fails. Funny thing is that link was never that good at jumping in his games either =P
+1 and I add That tier position of link is bull **** link has so many advanced thecnique and a lot of unique ways to plays him he deserve at least to be C or B , man it suck to thing one of the best nintendo video game caracter is to be consider one of the suckiest brawler

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
+1 and I add That tier position of link is bull **** link has so many advanced thecnique and a lot of unique ways to plays him he deserve at least to be C or B , man it suck to thing one of the best nintendo video game caracter is to be consider one of the suckiest brawler
O rly?

Link would be in those tiers.......if he could recover

It isnt the At's that make a character good. It's the player's ability to use those AT's effectively

but AT's are smexi anyways

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
O rly?

Link would be in those tiers.......if he could recover

It isnt the At's that make a character good. It's the player's ability to use those AT's effectively

but AT's are smexi anyways
This.

The only really, really major thing that's holding Link back is recovery.

I wish he had his recovery from getting a tiny mushroom. It's amazing lol

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
in brawl, if u dont get gimped while u are sent oiff the stage, u will almost alway recover, no matter how far u are sent flying. Unfortunetly, this isnt true for link (and a few others). That is why his recovery fails. Funny thing is that link was never that good at jumping in his games either =P
Would you be a good jumper with all that heavy stuff?

But TL can jump high.... I guess that his weapons are made of plastic or something like that.

galekill

Banned via Administration
Link can recover just learn DI and recovery ATs and there is NOTHING that will stop you from recovering.
Like "oh no, falco did his dsmash what to do, what to do?" answere zair whiplash recovery
"oh no pits palutena arrows is hitting me when Im offstage what to do what to do?"answere dair bounce recovery
"oh no MK is edgeguarding me" my answere on this is actually to go for the zair whiplash until 80ish percentage and then start DIing properly, and pull out bomb Airdodge through MK and zair the ledge(ok change it sometimes but often that works since MK dont have a REAL spike(thank flying spaghetti monster for that))

and at every other occasion just do as arkive has told you and DI correctly.

Also hello Ray_kalm, seen you have become nicer lately ;-) . I hope you wll continue with that since that new style suits you better.

EDIT: for any stupid thing I write right now I want to blame on alcohol.

EDIT: moved a string of text to a more logical place in the text. Also Im quite surprised I was able to spell so well, I guess I wasnt that drunk.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
i <3 link. i loved using him in melee and still enjoy him in brawl. i'm not surprised that he's still at the bottom *coughbadrecoverycough* but you gotta remember: somebody has to hold the other tiers up.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i <3 link. i loved using him in melee and still enjoy him in brawl. i'm not surprised that he's still at the bottom *coughbadrecoverycough* but you gotta remember: somebody has to hold the other tiers up.
hey he also has another job: to make high tier users feel like crap when a link beats them

galekill

@sasook: I actually have zair whiplash as a reflex now, so when Im hit by certain moves I automatically uses my zair whiplash. I have lost some of my regualar DI skills though cause of this , but they will probably return soon. And dair bounce is easier done than said oh **** its so funny to use, Im on my way exploding in happiness when my opponent says "wtf? link can do that?" when I bounce of their projectiles, one dair bounce recovery is enough to make my day. Links survivability dont sucks it just takes some(very much) practice.

@aurashade: to true, alcohol is a quite funny thing

Im sober now btw.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
@sasook: I actually have zair whiplash as a reflex now, so when Im hit by certain moves I automatically uses my zair whiplash. I have lost some of my regualar DI skills though cause of this , but they will probably return soon. And dair bounce is easier done than said oh **** its so funny to use, Im on my way exploding in happiness when my opponent says "wtf? link can do that?" when I bounce of their projectiles, one dair bounce recovery is enough to make my day. Links survivability dont sucks it just takes some(very much) practice.

@aurashade: to true, alcohol is a quite funny thing

Im sober now btw.
That it is. lol alcohol is hilarious.

Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, this is going to be somewhat long so I hope you are all prepared because I haven't posted in months.

I'm disappointed. How can a community that boasts being Link players accept where Link is in the Tier. I haven't played much of any brawl since its release and I have pretty much retired from Melee, even though I tried to pick it back up. Recent events in life have seriously damaged my confidence in ever playing professionally in anything thought.

What I'm trying to say is that why aren't you all trying harder? Link was never meant to be top tier and we all know this. I'm reading how some of you agree with his placing, hes right where he should be near the bottom. Why aren't y'all saying that he doesn't actually belong in that list. Link is in a list of his own. He is pure skill and mind games. I thought I would come back and read about posts saying how a community is going to try harder to put Link higher, that they would try harder for the one who wields the tri-force of courage.

Do people fear Link in brawl? When they face him off in a tournament, do you feel a hesitance from your opponent? People feared Link in Melee thanks to the works of the community that has long since died I believe. That age of players is pretty much done I think. You have been passed a very heavy torch ladies and gentlemen. Using Link or "main" Link are 2 different titles. Do you believe Link to be able to defeat any and all characters on that roster? Do you believe that through determination and sheer will, that Link will be standing at the end of the battle? Do you trust in your character to effectively win the match?

Using Link is what it says, your just using him and thats it. No heart and no guts. If you claim that Link is your main than the answers to those questions above better be yes.

Again I haven't played much of brawl, so I don't understand how steep of a climb it is for Link. I was there at the begining for Melee though so I at least understand the amount of work you have to put in it. The fustration of "if he was only a split second faster", "if he didn't lag so much", and etc.

Trust in that character if you actually claiming Link to be your main. Work with him, use him. Don't limit stages or anything when playing with your friends. Stuff that happens randomly while in a match can be used as a blueprint for later uses. "Oh I actually hit him with that this time, WHY is that?" "How far and fast was he moving when I did this?" The wider the field is, the more chances you have of something happening.

Well that's about it I guess. I would type more but I hope thats enough to get my point across.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I'm disappointed. How can a community that boasts being Link players accept where Link is in the Tier.
we're not accepting anything, that's just how the game is. get over it.

I haven't played much of any brawl since its release and I have pretty much retired from Melee, even though I tried to pick it back up. Recent events in life have seriously damaged my confidence in ever playing professionally in anything thought.
so then why are you telling us to do better if you won't even try yourself? Very hypocritical, not to mention, human skill < game mechanics

What I'm trying to say is that why aren't you all trying harder? Link was never meant to be top tier and we all know this.
stop ranting, you're giving me a headache. a character isn't meant to be anything, this isn't some "fantasy destiny epic adventure legend" that you're making it out to be.

I'm reading how some of you agree with his placing,hes right where he should be near the bottom. Why aren't y'all saying that he doesn't actually belong in that list. Link is in a list of his own. He is pure skill and mind games. I thought I would come back and read about posts saying how a community is going to try harder to put Link higher, that they would try harder for the one who wields the tri-force of courage.
face the facts, link sucks, has always sucked, and will pretty much continue to suck in this game, do you want to know why? FLAVOR. Link has, be far, the most flavor in the game, and to keep everyone from playing him, (even though they will) they must take away his actual statistics of being a good character compared to the others. stop whining, it is meaningless spam and there's probably a very good reason you haven't been posting, keep it up.

god, there's just too much to do right now, ill edit this later with my other half of the argument.

sasook

Smash Champion
What I'm trying to say is that why aren't you all trying harder? Link was never meant to be top tier and we all know this. I'm reading how some of you agree with his placing, hes right where he should be near the bottom. Why aren't y'all saying that he doesn't actually belong in that list. Link is in a list of his own. He is pure skill and mind games. I thought I would come back and read about posts saying how a community is going to try harder to put Link higher, that they would try harder for the one who wields the tri-force of courage.
Well, there's not too many Link mains to begin with, in comparison to other, more popular characters. Plus, most of us can't attend tourneys to rep him.

Do people fear Link in brawl? When they face him off in a tournament, do you feel a hesitance from your opponent?
Sadly, when people see Link, they say "lol Link, who is this scrub?"

Again I haven't played much of brawl, so I don't understand how steep of a climb it is for Link. I was there at the begining for Melee though so I at least understand the amount of work you have to put in it. The frustration of "if he was only a split second faster", "if he didn't lag so much", and etc.
It's not only his laggy moves now, it's his recovery. It's just awful in comparison to almost everyone else. Bombjumping being removed doesn't help whatsoever. I never played Melee competitively, or even decently, so I can't comment on whether or not the learning curve has increased. I can say this though - the learning curve for brawl Link is freakin' huge.

Link is also cursed with the hardest set of AT's to pull off, being easy to combo, and beign sesceptible to every chain grab this game has to offer.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I'm disappointed. How can a community that boasts being Link players accept where Link is in the Tier. I haven't played much of any brawl since its release and I have pretty much retired from Melee, even though I tried to pick it back up. Recent events in life have seriously damaged my confidence in ever playing professionally in anything though.
We accept it because Link is placed wherever Link is placed. We'll continue dominating and kicking butt with what people call one of the worst characters in the game. Psychological edge, people don't know what Link can be capable of and they let their guard down. They make the very sad mistake of underestimating their opponent based on their character choice.

Besides, Link pretty much deserves the spot he's been given because his recovery sucks, no good match-ups, blah blah blah.
We accept his placing because not a lot of us care. While the other boards are off whining, saying "my character isn't high enough!", Link mainers are facing the task of overcoming the disadvantages and advancing the Link metagame as a whole.

galekill

If link is underrated on the tier list how does that matter to my game? Do I get worse only cause link all of a sudden is sent to the bottom of the tier list? Or can I win just as much matches no matter where link is on the tier list?

I dont think links laggy moves is his problem, he has quick moves that he can link to his stronger, he can also choose where to have his lag and has really good Sheilpush on most of his laggy moves.

And with recovery Link CAN survive all attacks and has some very unique recovery strats and ATs, like he is one out of four characters that can cancel a airdodge to his tether and get safely back to the stage, he is very FFing and cause of this links tether whiplash recovery is the best in the game, his rang is one of the best anti edgeguarding tools in the game, pulling a bomb when recovering gives link a second chance to recover if the opponent edgeguards with a aerial that sends link just a little upwards, Link can bounce off projectiles to recover. Also if you can DI there are no problems left in your recovery, you need to be very accurate while recovering but if you dont screw up you recover.

lilmister

Smash Apprentice
If link is underrated on the tier list how does that matter to my game? Do I get worse only cause link all of a sudden is sent to the bottom of the tier list? Or can I win just as much matches no matter where link is on the tier list?

I dont think links laggy moves is his problem, he has quick moves that he can link to his stronger, he can also choose where to have his lag and has really good Sheilpush on most of his laggy moves.

And with recovery Link CAN survive all attacks and has some very unique recovery strats and ATs, like he is one out of four characters that can cancel a airdodge to his tether and get safely back to the stage, he is very FFing and cause of this links tether whiplash recovery is the best in the game, his rang is one of the best anti edgeguarding tools in the game, pulling a bomb when recovering gives link a second chance to recover if the opponent edgeguards with a aerial that sends link just a little upwards, Link can bounce off projectiles to recover. Also if you can DI there are no problems left in your recovery, you need to be very accurate while recovering but if you dont screw up you recover.
I seriously hope you tried those methods of recovering on pros...or at least in a tourney

galekill

I seriously hope you tried those methods of recovering on pros...or at least in a tourney
(should be readen as a freindly post)

zair whiplash is something I use pretty often, (its a reflex)
Dair bounce is really easy to use against pit players,
who hasnt pulled bomb and thrown a rang,
and also air dodge through an attack and then zair is something that saves me against MKs so

yes I have tried these in tornies, but yes its a good thing you are a bit sceptic cause I cant relly prove anything by just telling you.

But try, as soon as you know how to zair whiplash MK becomes a bit easier(not easy but easier). I dunno if the players I play can be called pros but Zair whiplash and dair bounce is works undepending of what opponents you have, yes a pro can avoid using attacks with semispiking properties or shooting projectiles at you when you are offstage but for what good? also I think our top players has proven that throwing rang works really good.

D

Deleted member

@kenshin

the difference between you and us is we've accepted our charcter's weaknesses and strengths. link is bad, if we didnt think we'd have to try as hard as we could just to win we would have already switched mains.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
i think id actually play worse if link was higher because i play harder when im at a disadvantage than when i have a natural advantage

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Yes. All of us here accept that Link is horrible and arguably has the worst recovery in the game. I main Link because 1)he's a ton of fun to use, 2) I don't want to be just another MK/Snake/Falco user out there, and 3) winning with Link is one of the most satisfying feelings ever.

Kenshin says we're not trying hard enough. I neither agree nor disagree with this because all of us here can't dedicate our lives to Brawl and to making Link better.
But for what it's worth, I'd say we've done pretty well so far. Brawl's been out for 1 year now and that's not very long at all. We've managed to get some ATs discovered and have several activists dedicated to discovering more and representing Link.
In my opinion, the most important thing we've done is develop a very close community on these boards that all share the same passion for this character. We've got our Four Swords - Arkive, Deva, Izaw, Legan - and they've stayed here as a constant inspiration to the rest of us. We have tons of fun on these boards, on Wifi, and just chatting with each other. For those that I've met, you guys are all very cool and hilarious. :laugh:

So we'll keep moving Link forward at our own pace. It might not be the fastest one, but who cares; I play Link to have fun, not to prove anything magnificent or norm-breaking. This may not be true for some of you here, but that's how I feel. We'll keep improving and as the months go by, Link's rep will rise up in it's own way. :p

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Yes. All of us here accept that Link is horrible and arguably has the worst recovery in the game. I main Link because 1)he's a ton of fun to use, 2) I don't want to be just another MK/Snake/Falco user out there, and 3) winning with Link is one of the most satisfying feelings ever.

Kenshin says we're not trying hard enough. I neither agree nor disagree with this because all of us here can't dedicate our lives to Brawl and to making Link better.
But for what it's worth, I'd say we've done pretty well so far. Brawl's been out for 1 year now and that's not very long at all. We've managed to get some ATs discovered and have several activists dedicated to discovering more and representing Link.
In my opinion, the most important thing we've done is develop a very close community on these boards that all share the same passion for this character. We've got our Four Swords - Arkive, Deva, Izaw, Legan - and they've stayed here as a constant inspiration to the rest of us. We have tons of fun on these boards, on Wifi, and just chatting with each other. For those that I've met, you guys are all very cool and hilarious. :laugh:

So we'll keep moving Link forward at our own pace. It might not be the fastest one, but who cares; I play Link to have fun, not to prove anything magnificent or norm-breaking. This may not be true for some of you here, but that's how I feel. We'll keep improving and as the months go by, Link's rep will rise up in it's own way. :p
Don't mean to ruin your post but, Link does NOT have the worst recovery in the game.

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Don't mean to ruin your post but, Link does NOT have the worst recovery in the game.
I really don't care if my post is ruined. I was just writing down my thoughts. :laugh:
Who's recovery could be worse? D;
Wolf? Ganondorf? Ness/Lucas? Off the top of my head, Link's is the worst. xD

Top Bottom