• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not really, but that question would be more suited for the general discussion thread to be honest.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Naw, just a bit closer to the 'ole SSB. :)
Just like people who wish to see the games they grew up with, remade. I dunno, I'd rather stick to Brawl, even if newer is not necessarily better (it might be after the next try, not everything is a failure before it's proven to be one).

It's also not as easy as people claim it is, if you're constantly struggling against the top players of your area but completely destroying non-top players, no matter what characters they use... And the matches feel so fast at your area's top levels of play, MK vs Kirby make me feel so happy...! :D

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
How can i use my hammer effectivly?
-_- 0.o?
Space it and try to hit with the last bit of the tip of the hitbox. Extreme spacing makes it near impossible to punish...! And think about where you want to send your opponents: Sideways, try and aim for the second swing (really powerful). Diagonal, aim for the first swing (not as powerful).

If you're talking about grounded hammer............... Can't help you there, even though I use it from time to time.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I tend to do fullhops, then Hammer, and aim the tip of the second swing at the edge of their shield. If you space it well, and they shield it (not powershield) so they get pushed back, it's nearly impossible for most characters to punish, and it hurts their shield, or them if they don't shield.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Don't forget you still get phantom lag next time you land though.

Personally, I try to do SH with the first swing hitting, also hard to punish on shields. Also, since it cancels momentum, it can be good for faking people out.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Don't forget you still get phantom lag next time you land though.

Personally, I try to do SH with the first swing hitting, also hard to punish on shields. Also, since it cancels momentum, it can be good for faking people out.
When you land on the ground while swinging the hammer, that counts as the phantom lag. Next time you jump and land, you won't get lag.

I've tested Phantom Lag too much @_@

If anyone watches me play, you'll notice that I'll use Short Hop Fastfalled Nairs to get rid of Phantom Lag. Or just Nair in general, it seems to be the best way to get rid of it.

Gnes

Smash Master
I tend to do fullhops, then Hammer, and aim the tip of the second swing at the edge of their shield. If you space it well, and they shield it (not powershield) so they get pushed back, it's nearly impossible for most characters to punish, and it hurts their shield, or them if they don't shield.
Even with short hopped hammers as long as u tip their shield the shield stun will leave it unpunished.

Ground hammer is such a risky/bad idea. There are many other ways to deal with spot dodgers >.>

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Even with short hopped hammers as long as u tip their shield the shield stun will leave it unpunished.
This is true. I feel that the fullhop is more mindgamey though.

Or something.

Ground hammer is such a risky/bad idea. There are many other ways to deal with spot dodgers >.>
Yeah, like jab. I use Grounded Hammer very very rarely. Like, if I feel extremely confident I can predict where and how they'll land, or something. Or to break shields/punish broken shields. But not so much.

I break shields with Shieldbreaker.

Since I don't really know where else to post this...I was in training mode, testing out Fsmash on a Fox (randomly) and I found that Upward-angled Fsmash has more KO power than regular or downward. I always thought that downward was the best for horizontal KOs because of the low trajectory.

Obviously, a Fox that's just standing there isn't going to DI, but I did notice that upward-angled Fsmash killed like 1-2% earlier than the other two. o_O

And of course upward angle does the most damage (16)

I would imagine that with DI, downward-angled is still the best though. It's the hardest to DI, and upward-angle you could just DI upward and have no trouble getting back to the stage.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Since I don't really know where else to post this...I was in training mode, testing out Fsmash on a Fox (randomly) and I found that Upward-angled Fsmash has more KO power than regular or downward. I always thought that downward was the best for horizontal KOs because of the low trajectory.

Obviously, a Fox that's just standing there isn't going to DI, but I did notice that upward-angled Fsmash killed like 1-2% earlier than the other two. o_O
Yep, all smashes that can be angled, if angled upwards, have more KO power than non-angled (or downwards-angled) ones. However, depending on where you angle, the hitbox stretches in that direction: If you angle upwards, the hitbox stretches upwards diagonally, and if downward angled, the hitbox extends farther downwards, diagonally. And yes, the attack generally sends opponent in the direction you angle it.

I use it to punish MKs who are returning to the stage. Did you know Kirby's fsmash breaks ALL of MK's special moves? This includes B, upB, downB, and sideB! :p

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Are you talking about the beginning part of Shuttle Loop? That's interesting...hard to time though.

I know it clashes with MK's freaking Glide Attack, but in most cases MK will be able to react sooner than you, because of the lag on Fsmash. That's why I'd rather shield it, or clash with Bair. Or Nair, I guess. I've never clashed Nair with Glide Attack...does the whole thing clash, or just the "strong" hit of Nair, but not the "weak" after-hit?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Are you talking about the beginning part of Shuttle Loop? That's interesting...hard to time though.
It breaks any part of Shuttle Loop (when used from the air, since grounded has invincibility frames), and it's not really that hard to time, I've even grabbed opponent MK's out of their reverse shuttle loops, it just takes a while to get used to fighting MKs and adjust to their speed.

I know it clashes with MK's freaking Glide Attack, but in most cases MK will be able to react sooner than you, because of the lag on Fsmash. That's why I'd rather shield it, or clash with Bair. Or Nair, I guess. I've never clashed Nair with Glide Attack...does the whole thing clash, or just the "strong" hit of Nair, but not the "weak" after-hit?
I use fsmash to hit his glide attack if he's under me, and bair to hit him when he's on top of me. It all has to do with reacting faster than your opponent, and making sure you space just right so he doesn't see it coming (or expects the bair to come out once your closer).

I don't think nair clashes with MK's glide attack.
I've also tried using it to clash, but always failed, no matter how well I time it. IMO, it's a much better idea to stick to bairs for aerial punishment when fighting MKs (unless they're on top of you( then spaced uairs), or under you (well-timed dairs so you land without lag... It even breaks Shuttle Loops).

Due to nair's lack of priority and long-lasting afterlag in the air, i practically never use it. It's too risky, or at least it seems that way to me.

tekkie

Smash Master
Is there some sort of video critique thread on this board?

edit: I mean, I found the video archive. just wondering if there is some sort of critique setup.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Yes, look at the stickies haha.

And I use Nair a lot, probably more than the vast majority of Kirbys. Sometimes I use it by accident, when I mean to Bair or Fair but I didn't tilt the control stick far enough, but sometimes that turns into a good thing, since Nair has a long-lasting hitbox, it punishes spotdodges and stuff, when Bair wouldn't have.

But yeah, I use all of Kirby's aerials pretty evenly, that's one thing I think that makes me a little different from most Kirby mains. I don't use Bair as much as most do, and my online opponents comment on that a lot. They're like "you keep using Fair I don't know what to do lol"

Also, Nair is a good move to knock Falco down for a laserlock :]

You generally don't want to use Nair when you're high in the air.

/rambling

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
When you land on the ground while swinging the hammer, that counts as the phantom lag. Next time you jump and land, you won't get lag.

I've tested Phantom Lag too much @_@

If anyone watches me play, you'll notice that I'll use Short Hop Fastfalled Nairs to get rid of Phantom Lag. Or just Nair in general, it seems to be the best way to get rid of it.
Ah, all right.

Yeah, I use SH Nair a lot for that too. The added benefit is people get confused by my spamming empty SH FF Nairs lol.

lol, i use the ground hammer at random times cuz it has really long range and since its slow it'll f@ck up spot dodgers,
Agreed! I do that as well! It's too good!

Mindgame it my friend. If you constantly dash>shieldgrab, the opponent will get into the abit of spotdodging, at which point dash>Grounded hammer will **** their ****. It's actually much easier to land than people think (still not easy, but not impossible), and it is almost a guaranteed KO when it does hit.

Only the aerial version of SL. Nothing beats the invul frames, except maybe something else with invul frames, like Mario's UpB or fortress or something.

Also, I *think* everything clashes with glide attack, though I could be wrong.
Another tidbit: you can sometimes catch MK's off guard by running below their Glide attack and doing a hyphen smash, or ducking it and punishing (the former being more effective, but both being situational options).

Also kewkky, sometimes Nair can be useful if the MK tries to follow up their Dthrow with anything that isn't Fair/SL. Also, it combos well, just always make sure you land it ASAP to cancel out the atrocious lag on it.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Also kewkky, sometimes Nair can be useful if the MK tries to follow up their Dthrow with anything that isn't Fair/SL. Also, it combos well, just always make sure you land it ASAP to cancel out the atrocious lag on it.
I dunno, I've tried applying nairs in all sorts of different ways, but none of them end up working for me (including close to the ground so only the strong hitbox is used). If they dthrow me, I just either fastfall airdodge, or jump away (dodging or bairing) to get some distance... Although it's usually me who dthrows the MKs. Kirby's grab game is just great! :p

Plus, the fact that they can follow up dthrow with fair and SL, makes it unsafe to use the nair. My friend (MK main) always waits for me to make a move before doing one himself, so as soon as he sees me starting to nair (or approaching for that matter) he already has an idea of what he's gonna do in order to punish me.

I'll just stick to kirby's fast attacks (the ones with almost no startup/duration/ending lag), like dtilts, ftilts, bairs, utilts, uairs, grabs, etc.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I dunno, I've tried applying nairs in all sorts of different ways, but none of them end up working for me (including close to the ground so only the strong hitbox is used). If they dthrow me, I just either fastfall airdodge, or jump away (dodging or bairing) to get some distance... Although it's usually me who dthrows the MKs. Kirby's grab game is just great! :p

Plus, the fact that they can follow up dthrow with fair and SL, makes it unsafe to use the nair. My friend (MK main) always waits for me to make a move before doing one himself, so as soon as he sees me starting to nair (or approaching for that matter) he already has an idea of what he's gonna do in order to punish me.

I'll just stick to kirby's fast attacks (the ones with almost no startup/duration/ending lag), like dtilts, ftilts, bairs, utilts, uairs, grabs, etc.

Meh, it has it's uses, and Nair>Ftilt>Fsmash often works for me at low percents.

I agree about the Dthrow comment though. Our Dthrow is too good in that MU! or in general.

However, I didn't mean to always Nair after his Dthrow. I probably do it once a set, if even that. Just occasionally if you predict a regrab/DA.

Not sure how you use it, but Nair is best used right before you hit the ground, so it only stays out a second or so, then buffer a grounded follow up. Never use it as an approach lol, and meh, don't use it often. It's kind of a situational move.
Personally, I only recently started incorporating it into my game and find it helps, but to each his own.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
WITH A GIANT ****IN' HAMMER!

Seriously though, space Bairs, shieldgrab, and I dunno...
I can't really describe what I do lol. It would end up just being use X attack at an appropriate time.

Just remember, Dtilt has a hitbox above and behind him for some reason, never try to punish the key unless you were right next to him, as it has IASA frames and the Dsmash comes out fast, and is **** near unpunishable.
navigate around the turtle, usually with a Bair.
Don't worry too much about being kept in the air with uair. If you think he'll chase you off the top with UpB, use stone. It's gotten me a number of early kills.
Don't even bother trying to gimp G&W. Only stone *might* hit him during his UpB, and that's fairly unlikely.

If possible, try to kill him off the top, as he survives a long time when hit to the sides. Uthrow should be killing fresh around 120%-140%. Usmash and hammers kill earlier.

Percon

Smash Lord
Sometimes I find it's effective to spam grabs/throws and kill with a fresh bair, as it is one of the easiest moves to land on him. Try that if other methods don't work out.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
G&W's turtle does 5 hits, then the landing hit (total of 6 hits). If he's either not spacing right OR you run into his turtle and shielded, count the hits (or until he's about to land), then grab. You can also hit his turtle with a bair, sometimes it goes through (you hit him when one of his hitboxes end and the other one is about to start), sometimes it doesn't. If you're at a high %, you know he's gonna try to kill you with either a fair or smashes, so start being defensive and expect to see lots of killmoves flying around. Try and shieldgrab his torch/hammer, and if he grabs you and starts the dthrow, TECH AWAY AND LEAVE YOUR SHIELD BUTTON PRESSED so you can shield his upcoming usmash techchase... Otherwise, if you don't tech, he's gonna dsmash you.

Remember to space! Grab, bair, utilt, ftilt and fsmash are the moves I mostly use in this matchup (i still use all of the moves, except nair).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Sometimes I find it's effective to spam grabs/throws and kill with a fresh bair, as it is one of the easiest moves to land on him. Try that if other methods don't work out.
Or spam both, and when he's at high percents, just spend a grab doing pummels (remember to abuse those IASA frames!) to refresh everything, then Bair him again for the kill.

Oh, and hyphen smashes are running Usmashes.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMQFpndSJlI

Look at 5:29

Now, my question:
Is the bottom of Kirby's Stone always damaging? If so, then wouldn't it be a wonderful edgeguard?
What happened in the vid was that Kirby was on the very edge with stone, which DID NOT HAVE A HITBOX. Weegee then attempted to land on the left of kirby, which made the stone move to make room for him...making the stone fall offstage. The stone then got its aerial hitbox and hit weegee.

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
When is the best time to use hammer? I never use Hammer on the ground, but I love using it in the air.

Also, Usmash, how to use effectively?

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
If you play someone that spotdodges or rolls often, full-hop your hammer. The first swing will knock them up high, the second time it comes around will knock them low. It's safe on block, and you can use retreating hammers if they chase.

It's a very good mindgame, and kills fairly early.

Top Bottom