• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
Ah...I usually Short-hop them. Or at lot %'s, I hammer after a Fthrow. It usually lands.

As well, uses for DTilt? I don't Find myself using it much. Same with FTilt. The only tilt I really use is UTilt. and that's because Kirby's UTilt is sex.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Short-hopped hammers only allow the first hit. The second hit of the hammer's much better for killing, and can set you up for a gimp.

Dtilt is best for tripping, and whenever you're crouching. A good example would be Fthrow -> Uair -> Grab -> Fthrow -> Uair -> Dtilt -> Fsmash.

I do it a few times here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIeTOSNVj1o

Nihongo-ookami

Smash Journeyman
XD that video reminded me, I tend to attempt kirbycides a lot...

Like, I'll jump off of the edge, swallow them off of the edge, and fall.

Bad part, they always anticipate it.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, I only do it because I'm up a stock and wanna end it fast. Not one of my better matches, but that's pretty much how you should handle your grabs, Dtilt, and hammer-play.

Keep in mind that you can probably only land one Fthrow + Uair, since CF's a fastfaller, it won't work on Jigglypuff or any floaties. xD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
If you're like most Kirby mains that aren't me, you probably use Fsmash quite a bit. To answer your question of "when to use Ftilt," replace those Fsmashes with Ftilts, unless you're going for a KO. It's faster and safer.

As for Dtilt....it depends. You just have to be creative with it. I was playing a good Snake (OFFLINE!!!) on Thursday, and I eventually found myself using Dtilt a lot (against his Wario as well). It's hard to hit Kirby when he's crouching, and the Dtilt has good range, and the trip is great as well. I usually follow up the trips with a Fair or a grab. If you trip your opponent often, and they always react in the same way (i.e. they roll away every time, or getup attack every time) you can punish their predictable reactions with, say, a Grounded Hammer for maximum punishment. Even if you don't know exactly how they'll react, you can just shield next to them and then 'techchase.'

Also, about Grounded Hammer punishing spotdodgers: it actually works, lol. I used Grounded Hammer VERY few times on Thursday, but one of the times I did use it was just running straight up to him and then hammering. He spotdodged, and I hit him and he was like "@#$%"

True story.

Snake is broken.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Rofl Asdioh, I'm guilty of Fsmashing when I shouldn't. But only when they're past 80%. :psycho:

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Usmash and Dsmash are underrated IMO, both moves punish rollers and spot dodgers, u just sit and charge and it and if they airdodge or roll into u its hilarious, u'd be surprised how often it works

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
All our smashes are good. It's both a good and bad thing people underestimate/forget about Dsmash and Usmash. It helps me score more kills. AD>Dsmash works more often than you'd think too. That's actually worked enough that that's become my 'backup kill move'.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Hey, there's a little something I realized that I've been using lately. Someone's probably mentioned it before, because it's not that complicated, but I feel it's worth mentioning. With a little bit of fancy control stick work, you can do your Bair spam so that you duck as soon as you land. This forces most opponents with projectiles to approach you... riht into your impending Bair ****. =P This makes the Falco match up even more lolz, because you can just face away from your opponent across freakin' final destination and duck under his Laser span, and just Bair him in the face when he approaches.

Honeythief

Smash Cadet
I have a few Kirby questions :D

How do you cancel Dair so the the last hit doesn't hit. I've done it a few time but I have no idea how. It set up perfectly for an Up smash after, so I wan't to learn how to do it consistently.

Also is there any way to get rid of the landing lag when you SH the Hammer?

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
to cancel the last hit of the Dair u have to hit the ground b4 the whole move finishes. Also the hitbox for the last hit is smaller and pointy compared to the wider blunt hitbox of the regular Dair, so avoid hitting them with the last hit.

and the asnwer to your econd question. NO lol only way is to perform the full move and then hit the ground.

Lovely

Smash Lord
♣ I have this question for a while, how to play Kirby on Wifi, it seems that I have trouble using him online and I don't know what to think of doing besides random lag luck or somthing, or if the connection is great, which still has button lag. ♥

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
♣ I have this question for a while, how to play Kirby on Wifi, it seems that I have trouble using him online and I don't know what to think of doing besides random lag luck or somthing, or if the connection is great, which still has button lag. ♥
Bairs, grabs, tilts, and fsmashes are the essentials, much like offline... Except you need to time them better than offline. Also depend a lot on the other's mistakes. Since most of kirby's attacks are instantaneous (under5 frames and their hitboxes are active already), we can punish just about anything online, unless someone with higher priority and instantaneous attacks appears (like G&W... Geez).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
My problem with wifi is not how I play, but how my opponents play. Lately I've been losing to scrubby Snakes that just Dash Attack all over the place, and it's so fast that even though I predict it, it's still hard as hell to punish.

So I think the proper answer on how to play Kirby on wifi is to play G&W instead.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I think the biggest thing to note on Wifi is that it doesn't matter. Use it just to try and get better at predicting and learn matchups. Winning and losing are secondary.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
When I up-angle Kirby's F-Smash, does it increase in knockback? Damage? What about it's trajectory? What about if I angle it down?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I thought angling it down made it harder to DI (Well, that it gave a more horizontal trajectory, though I could be wrong.).

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
same here, fromundaman. same here.

I usually do non-angled Fsmashes ... out of habit? I guess.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Same... Can't remember the last time I angled any smashes... I angle my tilts a lot, but my smashes usually come out as a "spur of the moment" thing.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I have a question about jab and smash decay. Jab hits multiple times so does each hit count as an attack and help unstale other moves or does it just count as one move?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I have a question about jab and smash decay. Jab hits multiple times so does each hit count as an attack and help unstale other moves or does it just count as one move?
I think jab1, jab2 and jab3 all are different moves, each has its own input. So, the whole jab3 (vulcan jab) and no matter how many hits you do, it only refreshes a move so much (jab1 jab2 and jab3 are 3 moves in themselves). It's 3 hits though, so it's cool, but pummels are still better for refreshing.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I'm new to the Kirby Boards, but I have been playing the Kirbs in teams for the past few months.

On most characters I do the grab>fthrow>uair>regrab. I've seen people and I, myself tend to do this on occasion, when playing against lighter weight characters (such as MK), do grab>fthrow, uair, reverse utilt. Sometimes I'm not able to hit with the utilt, is it some kind of spacing error on my part or is it known to not always work given the opponent knows how to DI away from these kind of moves?

Triple R

Smash Lord
It's not an error on your part. It's well known that people can escape the combo after the first uair. Welcome to the Kirby boards!!!

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Dear Kirbys,

Why must your hitstun have such a weird animation? You are the only character immune to ZSS' dash attack locking. Why, Kirbys? Why? :(

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Dear Kirbys,

Why must your hitstun have such a weird animation? You are the only character immune to ZSS' dash attack locking. Why, Kirbys? Why? :(
It's a sign, SFP! It means "You must use Kirby as your secondary". I have taken the step to the truth, and I'm not complaining of choosing Kirby as my other main. ;)

... or it's because we're just too small. heh. But I believe the first answer was the right one. ;)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Did you know we can also duck your DA? Fun stuff.
What exactly is this DA locking though?

That being said, maybe I'm completely wrong.

easy mac

Smash Apprentice
I am maining Kirby now and I prefer doubles over singles quite a bit and I was wondering what combinations work well character wise for Kirby in doubles. Does Kirby need to be paired with a speed demon like Sonic or and power house like Ike? Whoever can help me with some doubles tips I would appreciate it. If I have posted this in the wrong area then some please provide a link for me where I would post regarding doubles play because I didn't see anything for doubles discussion.

daisho: the kirby matchup thread shows which match ups are at 60:40 and higher

Jon?

Smash Champion
Thanks for the welcome!
@daisho: Heavy characters with the exclusion of Snake are generally in Kirby's favor. Spacies are also much in our favor since we have a grab combo on them to around 40-50%. Our dair also gimps them pretty badly.

@easy_mac: I find power house characters are most preferable in a team comb including Kirby. Characters like Snake, Wario, or Donkey Kong are my personal favorites. Although a Kirby-MK team works pretty well too.

Snake is my favorite character to team with. You let your teammate work the ground while you control the skies. With a metagame with almost every team having a MK, it's important to have a tank like Snake who can survive hits and hold back MK from going too crazy.

Last time I recall Kirby doesn't have too many options against MKs, which brings me to my next question:
Normally, I can keep a MK at bay with Bairs and grab pressure, but what do you guys usually do when an MK is below you?
Dair doesn't work since MK's uair just goes through it. I'll try air dodging past him, but that leads into a Dair from MK. I try using my other jumps to get away from MK but then MK follows up with a Shuttle Loop which sometimes hits and kills me.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
daisho (asdioh in disguise?!) our 'easy' matchups are generally low-tier characters. A couple mid-tier as well. The only high tier that is noticably in our favor is of course Falco. :D

@easy_mac: I find power house characters are most preferable in a team comb including Kirby. Characters like Snake, Wario, or Donkey Kong are my personal favorites. Although a Kirby-MK team works pretty well too.

Snake is my favorite character to team with. You let your teammate work the ground while you control the skies. With a metagame with almost every team having a MK, it's important to have a tank like Snake who can survive hits and hold back MK from going too crazy.
Yes, Snake is an amazing teammate for Kirby. DK is good too. Kirby really works well with most characters >_>
Because he's pretty versatile. He can also Copy your partner's power and do useful stuffz.

Last time I recall Kirby doesn't have too many options against MKs, which brings me to my next question:
Normally, I can keep a MK at bay with Bairs and grab pressure, but what do you guys usually do when an MK is below you?
Dair doesn't work since MK's uair just goes through it. I'll try air dodging past him, but that leads into a Dair from MK. I try using my other jumps to get away from MK but then MK follows up with a Shuttle Loop which sometimes hits and kills me.
There's really nothing you can do.

MK is broken. :p

His Dair beats everything when we're below him, his Uair beats everything when we're above him. We can beat his Fair with Bair...supposedly. I think that retreating Fairs by him are pretty much unbeatable with our Bair though.

And yeah, MK punishes airdodges hardcore. Hell, he punishes you for hitting him and trying to follow up with another attack, because his attacks are all so quick.

Triple R

Smash Lord
Concerning teams, I teamed with a pit once and we did really well. Pit is good for racking up damage and spamming arrows to screw up your opponents. Plus copying his power gives you a nice projectile. His smashes can be spammed pretty well in doubles too.

daisho

Smash Lord
Yeah, well I played an Ike (while i was DK) he cpd DDD and i lost... then I cpd kirby and took him to brinstar and won... even with a ~ 0 % suicide (rock onto that middle stuff...) and taunting into an fsmash (attempting to do the HIIIIII taunt)... this was the first time in months i even PLAYED kirby.

So I decided im officially cping with kirby for DKs neutral or bad matchups in favor of kirby's good matchups... and it looked like kirby had ALOT of good matchups from the thread so i asked here to see if they were actually all that good...

Here is that match btw... I fail at aiming a camera so you cant see the percents...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-P15fME5I

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, Kirby os pretty good vs D3, but be careful, because D3 can still do stuff to us... Especially that Utilt...

That being said, maybe I'm completely wrong.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
I think jab1, jab2 and jab3 all are different moves, each has its own input. So, the whole jab3 (vulcan jab) and no matter how many hits you do, it only refreshes a move so much (jab1 jab2 and jab3 are 3 moves in themselves). It's 3 hits though, so it's cool, but pummels are still better for refreshing.

10 char

easy mac

Smash Apprentice
does pikachu and kirby work well? diddy and kirby? i ask because my main doubles partners use those 2 and i wanted to know if we could top with those teams if not i can start teaming with some other legacy members.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
does pikachu and kirby work well? diddy and kirby? i ask because my main doubles partners use those 2 and i wanted to know if we could top with those teams if not i can start teaming with some other legacy members.
Kirby handles Naners quite well, though he doesn't have much of a regular GT, just a Jump canceled GT.

You can copy Pika's power, so thats a plus.

IDK what else to say really. A lot of how a team works depends on the players. Something to keep in mind is that all of those characters are light to semi-light, so you might be KOed easily.

Top Bottom