• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

easy mac

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that was my main worry them all being light characters. I see what your saying about the Pika copy giving me another projectile to work with same goes for Diddy to a point. I also noticed about the Naners use being fairly good with Kirby. All in all do you believe either of those two teams could top in doubles tourney's without any major issues?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
Yeah that was my main worry them all being light characters. I see what your saying about the Pika copy giving me another projectile to work with same goes for Diddy to a point. I also noticed about the Naners use being fairly good with Kirby. All in all do you believe either of those two teams could top in doubles tourney's without any major issues?

It depends on who your opponents are as well. Teams are invariably more complicated than singles. Generally speaking though, the character weight issue is something to be aware of in teams and can be seen as a handicap. Most teams have one heavyweight to work as a stock tank. If you feel good about the combination, though, go for it. :)

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Glitch?

I'm not sure if this has already been found out yet, but I was brawling with items on with some friends the other day, and my friend was Kirby and I was Ike.

Anyway, the Kirby was using Neutral B and ate a Super mushroom, but I ran for it too. When I got there, we both got bigger, and it was only one Super Mushroom.

I think what happened was that as the Kirby was eating the Super Mushie, Ike ran and hit the Mushroom too, causing both Ike and Kirby to get bigger.

Has this glitch already been found yet?

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'm not sure if this has already been found out yet, but I was brawling with items on with some friends the other day, and my friend was Kirby and I was Ike.

Anyway, the Kirby was using Neutral B and ate a Super mushroom, but I ran for it too. When I got there, we both got bigger, and it was only one Super Mushroom.

I think what happened was that as the Kirby was eating the Super Mushie, Ike ran and hit the Mushroom too, causing both Ike and Kirby to get bigger.

Has this glitch already been found yet?
Nope, sadly because we don't play much with items on. I bet it was a laugh, tho, everytime I find a glitch involving items I reset the game and save the replay :p

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Nope, sadly because we don't play much with items on. I bet it was a laugh, tho, everytime I find a glitch involving items I reset the game and save the replay :p
Yep. It was a LOL moment. Just thought you all might want to know. xD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
That's actually pretty cool, haha.

My favorite glitches involving items are:

Giga Jigglypuff on Bridge of Eldin

And having Fox shoot lasers while Kirby uses his Final Smash for a billion items.

Oh and as for teams, Pikachu and Diddy are both potentially good partners for Kirby. I've heard that Pikachu is actually similar in survivability to Snake, if you consider his Upair and momentum canceling abilities. He's not as heavy as Snake, but with great DI he can live almost as long.

Still, I think Snake/MK are Kirby's best teammates. Unfortunately -_-

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
And having Fox shoot lasers while Kirby uses his Final Smash for a billion items.
Haha, you can do the same with Olimar's Pikmin pluck. Pikmin Stew tonight! :laugh:

Oh and as for teams, Pikachu and Diddy are both potentially good partners for Kirby. I've heard that Pikachu is actually similar in survivability to Snake, if you consider his Upair and momentum canceling abilities. He's not as heavy as Snake, but with great DI he can live almost as long.
I remember Anther talking about how Pika had broken weight considering his momentum canceling abilities and how light of a character he should be, so you have a good point.

That being said, maybe I'm completely wrong.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Thanks for the welcome!
@daisho: Heavy characters with the exclusion of Snake are generally in Kirby's favor. Spacies are also much in our favor since we have a grab combo on them to around 40-50%. Our dair also gimps them pretty badly.

@easy_mac: I find power house characters are most preferable in a team comb including Kirby. Characters like Snake, Wario, or Donkey Kong are my personal favorites. Although a Kirby-MK team works pretty well too.

Snake is my favorite character to team with. You let your teammate work the ground while you control the skies. With a metagame with almost every team having a MK, it's important to have a tank like Snake who can survive hits and hold back MK from going too crazy.

Last time I recall Kirby doesn't have too many options against MKs, which brings me to my next question:
Normally, I can keep a MK at bay with Bairs and grab pressure, but what do you guys usually do when an MK is below you?
Dair doesn't work since MK's uair just goes through it. I'll try air dodging past him, but that leads into a Dair from MK. I try using my other jumps to get away from MK but then MK follows up with a Shuttle Loop which sometimes hits and kills me.
This is not from personal experience, but I'd say that DI away w/ an airdodge and buffer (can you buffer out of an airdodge?) a Bair in his direction. It sounds like it would help keep him at bay, in theory. Would most likely not be fool proof though.

If the airdodge gets in the way, then maybe just DI and Bair.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Hi.

I've just read the guide about the usefulness of Kirby's inhale stolen power when I found this (you must have stolen DDD's power):
"In team battles, if you are Inhaling and someone is trapped in the vortex, and another person hits you, both you and the enemy fall through the stage!" ( http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222800 )

Is there any proof (such as a video...) of this glitch? I found nothing on youtube.

Jon?

Smash Champion
@Light-Kratos: I've seen that glitch before on Youtube. It was a long time ago so I don't have the link on me, sorry.

Basically DDD was using his inhale on an enemy Falco and Falco's teammate comes up and hit's DDD while he was inhaling and Falco falls through Lylat Cruise and can't recover.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Unless your Dair happens to trip them, or their damage is high enough that they start bouncing off the ground. Even then, I think Smash DI can save them...not sure.

tekkie

Smash Master
When doing a Gonzo combo as fthrow -> uair -> turn/utilt, can the turn/utilt be buffered? Is the quickest way to do it just to land and turn around and utilt really quickly?

Also, how important is buffering for Kirby and what uses does it have specifically for him?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
When doing a Gonzo combo as fthrow -> uair -> turn/utilt, can the turn/utilt be buffered? Is the quickest way to do it just to land and turn around and utilt really quickly?

Also, how important is buffering for Kirby and what uses does it have specifically for him?
Kirby isn't really dependent on buffers, so they're not as important as with other characters like Pika and ZSS. Don't worry about getting the buffering timing down perfectly, you'll probably never apply what you'll learn about buffering attacks while playing as Kirby.

And... I do the reverse utilt combo by just holding up+away from the opponent while landing after the uair, then pressing the A as soon as I touch the floor.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Buffering is very important to Kirby. It allows him to seamlessly move from one position or attack into another position or attack ahead of time and then to follow up with something immediately afterwards. This all weaves in with IASA and can improve the speed that you move and attack with Kirby.

I think what Kewkky meant to say was that buffering doesn't have the same impact on Kirby's meta game as it has for other characters, such as buffering Wario's D-throw into a chaingrab.

Jon?

Smash Champion
I think the bufferings I do for Kirby are:
-Jab cancel > grab/dtilt
-Air dodge, land > up tilt or SH Bair
-OOS SH Bair
-Gonzo combo to utilt
-Fast fall to utilt

Triple R

Smash Lord
Ok, so I toke a ROB to jungle japes on wifi (lol) yesterday. It was going normal like until the end where I decided to dthrow him on the very left side of the center platform. While doing this the claptrap did it's normal leap at the second gap and hit the ROB while I was down throwing him for the kill..... It was pretty cool and unexpected. Has anyone come across this before. I couldn't save the replay since the match was over 3 minutes.

kirbz

Smash Apprentice
I need help with my SHTL. Everytime i try it i get 2 lasers in the air and 1 on the ground with lots of startup lag. Is that supposed to happen?

Is there a video with a proper SHTL in it?

smashfan666

Smash Cadet
NNID
NobelSmashington
3DS FC
2981-8328-3883
i dunno, go experiment w/ that,

why the heck does kirby turn into a thwomp?!

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Ok, so I toke a ROB to jungle japes on wifi (lol) yesterday. It was going normal like until the end where I decided to dthrow him on the very left side of the center platform. While doing this the claptrap did it's normal leap at the second gap and hit the ROB while I was down throwing him for the kill..... It was pretty cool and unexpected. Has anyone come across this before. I couldn't save the replay since the match was over 3 minutes.
I've done the same thing with Kirby's Up Throw. It's not worth going for because of how hard it is to get a grab on the edge and properly synchronize your throw with the claptrap's jump. However, it's a nice parlor trick. :)
I need help with my SHTL. Everytime i try it i get 2 lasers in the air and 1 on the ground with lots of startup lag. Is that supposed to happen?

Is there a video with a proper SHTL in it?
I have the best success when I use one hand to jump and another hand for special. Naturally, if you're using the default control scheme, it might not be wise to move your left hand off the control stick to press the B Button because the point of SHTL is to give you a frame advantage. If you can't control Kirby, you're in trouble. The basic solution to this is to set the L Trigger or a D-Pad direction to either Jump or Special.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I like having inhale in nearly all my matchups, especially against Falco, but you have to weigh the positives versus the negatives. How many chances are you going to get at gimping Falco with an inhale, especially if the player is smart? How hard is it to approach a Falco when he's shooting lasers at you when you can do nothing to fire back? Not to mention that lasers can do wonders against Falco's recovery.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'll admit, getting the inhale break on Falco is really tough, ESPECIALLY if your opponent knows about it. I guess Sheik is still possibly the easiest one to do it to.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Hey! I have a somewhat legit question!

What match ups is jab/vulcan punch safe, and to add on, which ones is it really useful/really ****ing stupid.

Jon?

Smash Champion
Wow, I am missing out on these acronyms! What is "inhale break" and "vulcan punch". Seriously, I'm not noob guys, lol.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Inhale break, I don't even know what it means, but let's use deductive reasoning.

Inhale is Kirby's 'B' attack, for those of you confused. If you don't either spit them out or steal their power, they break out.

Could be.

And vulcan punch is him being funny. Did you see the part where he said "jab/vulcan punch"?

It means they're the same thing.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Hey! I have a somewhat legit question!

What match ups is jab/vulcan punch safe, and to add on, which ones is it really useful/really ****ing stupid.
From experience... Vulcan jab is relatively safe vs DDD, as long as you stop it before he SDI's out of reach and grabs you. All big characters and heavies are quite safe to jab, and light characters are relatively easy outside of the stage.

Now, light characters on-stage? Don't, seriously. They'll SDI on top of you quick enough and use a fast attack on you (like luigi's nair, jiggly's nair, MK's anything, etc.).

That's about as much as I can say.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Inhale breaks:

Finally, we have inhale breaks. Those of you who aren’t in the backroom might be wondering why in the hell I would even mention this, as how can having an enemy escape an inhale ever be a good thing? Well friends, there are some fun and interesting things that can happen out of an inhale break, which we shall now talk about (Also, none of what I’m about to mention works for D3’s inhale breaks or inhale breaks with D3’s power.).
On certain characters, Kirby can get a footstool on his opponents when they break out of inhale in the air, provided that Kirby is not moving in a horizontal direction and that the opponent DIs a certain way. This is quite simply amazing since it means that some characters simply cannot avoid dying if they get inhaled then brought offstage (they get FSed if they try to break out, or risk buffering an aerial if we starshot them, which on certain characters will kill them no matter what they buffer, or they get Kirbicided). Of course, a meager footstool won’t kill them by itself unless you managed to fall pretty close to the blastzones. However, I have also found that on every character, we can follow a footstool with a FF Dair which itself can be followed up by another footstool (FS>FF Dair>FS will kill on every legal stage by the way, unless there is a floor of some kind in the way.).
I have compiled a list of all the characters that this does and doesn’t work on, along with which way they have to DI, though more testing is required for this, as I have not had time to test every character (nor do I think I need to, as for some characters it is pretty obvious what happens.).

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Wow, I am missing out on these acronyms! What is "inhale break" and "vulcan punch"
Inhale break is when Kirby inhales someone and they manage to break out on their own. It has a few follow ups, but its use for most Kirby mains is FSing the character who breaks out off of the ledge.

Vulcan Jab is Kirby's AAA attack. Spamming isn't as useful as it may seem.

Seriously, I'm not noob guys, lol
:dizzy:... moving on.

----

My question: Is using Kirby's UpB as an edgeguard a good idea?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
My question: Is using Kirby's UpB as an edgeguard a good idea?
Yes. I do it all the time. Not only is it pretty much completely safe, but if they go above the stage as they're trying to recover, and get hit by the shockwave, they can be setup for a gimp, or get knocked far enough away to be unable to recover, or be edgeguarded (particularly if they have a bad recovery)

For example, not long ago I hit a recovering Wolf with the Final Cutter shockwave, and then I jumped off and Daired him. It was pretty sexy.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Percon, I am going to completely ignore the content of your post for the moment to announce that your avatar is officially awesome.

Top Bottom