• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I only upB edgeguard when I'm at higher percentages and my opponent is at lower percentages (seeing as the knockback is fixed anyway)
I like how all the Broomers get the tophat and monocle >_>

I asked Spadefox to make me one, and he said he doesn't do it anymore. I think it's just because I'm not in the backroom.

I can't really make it myself without it looking bad. Lack of Photoshop ftl.

ANYWAY, the knockback of the Spiking part of FC has set knockback. The knockback of the Shockwave part depends on damage. This is the part we were talking about for edgeguarding, I think.

It even works well against MKs trying to recover, lol.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
It can beat out G&W's bair. Use it. =D
Destroying Game and Watch's turtle is relatively easy.

Shield it, then before he lands on the floor, spot dodge and profit. You can FSmash, DSmash or Ftilt. I'm not sure if you can Hammer, but If they don't expect it and you think you can get it in, go for it. Or at least try air hammer.

Percon

Smash Lord
I like how all the Broomers get the tophat and monocle >_>

I asked Spadefox to make me one, and he said he doesn't do it anymore. I think it's just because I'm not in the backroom.

I can't really make it myself without it looking bad. Lack of Photoshop ftl.

ANYWAY, the knockback of the Spiking part of FC has set knockback. The knockback of the Shockwave part depends on damage. This is the part we were talking about for edgeguarding, I think.

It even works well against MKs trying to recover, lol.
ooooooh, THAT. >_>

Well, yeah, no reason not to try and edgeguard someone with the shockwave if you aren't going to go out and try to hit them offstage.

What's cool is on stages like Yoshi's or Lylat, you can use the slants to send them at an angle at catch your opponent unawares! Oho! (/old news)

I also like doing it on the Yoshi's center platform against MKs or people who like to be in the air on the sides a lot.

EDIT: Yeah, I think there are better, faster options for dealing with turtle, but as far as attacks that BEAT it go, I think FC and stone are our only two (and I wouldn't try the latter)

Jon?

Smash Champion
I've been starting to use Final Cutter a lot more now and it's a great tool. Are there certain situations where you guys use it or certain matchups where it is important? At the moment, I just use it as simple ledge camping, recovering, and spacing.

T-nuts

Smash Ace
I've been starting to use Final Cutter a lot more now and it's a great tool. Are there certain situations where you guys use it or certain matchups where it is important? At the moment, I just use it as simple ledge camping, recovering, and spacing.
i use it every once in a while when olimar is sitting there throwing pikmans at me.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I usually use it at parts of the stage I know I'll get FC teleport, to blow up Snake's grenades/mines, and occasionally to encourage approaches or edgeguard against characters that I'm not going to gimp anyway.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Worse than most, yeah. Still, Falco has it the best of the 3, closely followed by Fox IMO (Yeah, I know, it's strange, but I find Wolf easier than Fox (though both are easy) due to that **** Usmash that will kill us at LOL percents, especially on CPs with low ceilings, and Brinstar which is another category altogether.)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Ask Falconv1.0 how easy Wolf is.

What do you mean Falco has it the best of the 3? You mean in terms of the matchup? I honestly think a good Falco is easier to beat than Fox AND Wolf. You can uptilt combo all three of them at low percentages, but Wolf can break it with Reflector invincibility frames (though if you predict it and shield you get a free grab) and Fox can maybe Shine you when you're doing that, but Falco's Reflector can't be used like that. Also, Fox doesn't have to worry about getting Laserlocked XD

And Fox's recovery is by far the best. He has Fair for extra jump height, Reflector for stalling, and the best Up B (goes significantly farther than Falco's)

Falco might be able to chaingrab us a little, but Fox can Utilt combo us for almost as much. Plus he kills earlier than the other 2.

(Fox is one of my secondaries, he's so much fun)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I will take a good Fox or Wolf over Falco any day.
A good Wolf, definitely. A good Fox, sure why not, but I'd rather Wolf.

I still think Falco's slightly the hardest of the 3, despite his inability to kill, due to A) his jab (single jab cancel into follow-ups that is), and B) his stupid disjoints. That being said, I don't have too hard of a time with any space animal anyway unless they're better than me as a player.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I personally think Wolf is harder, but it's mainly the result of not having the MU experience... I have enough Fox/Falco experience.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Falcon, that could just be due to the player or your personal bad matchups.

For example, ROB scares me much more than he should. Also, I usedto play a Wolf player who, while he was really bad, made the matchup difficult because he could pretty much ALWAYS sweetspot the sideB the moment you left the ground. It's scary how effective he was with that one move. If he'd only stuck with smash and learned to play the rest of his character as well...

Of course, the same could be said for us.

That being said, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Falcon, that could just be due to the player or your personal bad matchups.

For example, ROB scares me much more than he should. Also, I usedto play a Wolf player who, while he was really bad, made the matchup difficult because he could pretty much ALWAYS sweetspot the sideB the moment you left the ground. It's scary how effective he was with that one move. If he'd only stuck with smash and learned to play the rest of his character as well...

Of course, the same could be said for us.

That being said, maybe I'm completely wrong.
I'm sucking so much with Kirby right now, but it's just the process on forcing me to implement pivot grabs, and watch out on overdiong my spotdodges... Curiously, I started dsmashing and it's been working wonders for me. Don't know why I started doing that all of a sudden (probably cuz of the many missed fsmashes, shot in the wrong direction after my opponent wavebounces), but it's helping... And I've also started using downB to punish people who jump out of ledgegrabs with the traditional after-ledgegrab moves (roll, getup, jump, attack), and it has ALSO been helping out!

I'm sucking right now... But in a week or two I'll be better than before, so I'll lose with pride until I'm ready to start winning again!

On-topic: I find Falco the easiest of the 3, Fox stalls and mindgames me with his downB, and Wolf moves very fast (and his smashes are quite deceptive).

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
@ kewkky: maybe you should take a break for 2-3 days or something.
I'm taking breaks, don't you worry! I missed last weekend's tourney, and still deciding if I should go to this weekend's Genesis Warm-Up and help my friends who directly asked me to help them with the Kirby/ZSS matchups (our players that are going to USA), or get a tan, relax and clear my mind from my stress-inducing lifestyle at the beach alone...

Which would you guys choose?

Edit: Whop, lemme just write this in the general discussion.

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Would a Mario and Kirby team seem like a good idea?

Although nothing is set in stone, I'm planning on teaming with a Kirby at my next tournament. Is there anything I should be aware of that could be a good advantage for me and my teammate, especially against the high tiers?

He's a video of the Kirby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcPLN1CAe1U

On a side note, I second Falco and my partner seconds MK.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well firemario. Practice standing infinites, seeing as Kirby can kill early thanks to his grounded hammer.

Standing Ground Release Infinites > Kirby's Grounded Hammer, and even just Mario's Ground Release > Kirby Grounded Hammer, means one easy stock... So tell him to keep an eye out for when you grab an opponent at decent %s, so he can stop what he's doing, run to you, and hammer the guy.

Usually amazing things take days of practice to properly execute... I'm thinking of a caped kirbicide, mario using his cape to reverse (and increase) your momentum while you start a kirbicide offstage... But these things take time to set up, and you really need to know each others'styles in order to sync this good.

My advice? play lots of friendlies before the tourney with your friend, as a team against other people.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Firemario, this team CAN be amazing (and you're a good Mario, so that's good).

First off, Uthrow cape ****. Use it and love it.

Secondly, you guys gimp like no others. If you both end up gimping one opponent, pepper them with fireballs while Kirby goes to Dair/Bair gimp. Grab the ledge or capedash when he gets closer.

Fireballs can set up for Kirby kill moves if you guys are well coordinated. On your own, you can follow up fireballs with only quick attacks. However, if you fireballs someone to interrupt an attack or give them momentary hitstun while Kirby unleashes a Fsmash, well, that can be a stock.

Caping people normally is always good, and can set up for team combos.

I'm sure you could use FIHL much more efficiently in teams by having Kirby punish it as you're doing it.

Learn where each of Kirby's throws puts the enemy (and vice versa) and try to abuse that.

Also, Kirby's jab is GREAT for setting up team combos, and can set up for a spaced Mario Fsmash.

Mario Dair to Kirby Dair sounds really cool as well.

You could FLUDD Kirby offstage after he eats someone for a ghetto Kirbicide.

Ummm... that's all I can think of at the moment.

dooitstheo

Smash Rookie
I just realized this..

we need to implement more ground game into kirby...he's getting a little too predictable in the air. kirby does have decent ground game if used correctly and can prevent damage from being in the air.
just sharing my sorry little thoughts

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Kirby's ground game is actually really good.

Dtilt trips can lead to techchases (they almost always roll away, and on most characters that allows a hyphen smash.).
Ftilt is a good spacer and has good range. Also, it's easy to chain them together.
Utilt chains easily and is good for setting up combos.

All tilts can lead into an Fsmash. Fsmash has great range and priority, and can punish spotdodges.
Grounded hammer punishes spotdodges.
Hyphen smash is powerful and rarely ever expected. It also has a great hitbox.
Dsmash is fast, and the sourspot sends them at a horizontal angle, so spotdodgers can actually be punished more harshly by the sourspot than the sweetspot.

Jabs are great for setting stuff up in teams, and can be useful and lead into things in singles.

The only ground moves I don't like are grounded stone and DA.

Also, you should merge your air game and ground game. Don't keep them seperate, for that makes you predictable.

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
I need some help with jab locking. it seems like a really useful combo but i can't pull it off. does it only work on certain characters at certain percents or what? Am i perhaps starting it off wrong(i use Dtilt but i was watching gonzo use rising uair,>SH footstool> nair> Dtilt>jablock)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Jab locking isn't extremely useful for Kirby (the damage is pretty negligible, and he has other smash attack setups), and I'd say if you're not a top ranked player it's too situational to bother learning. I'd say knowledge of jab lock setups won't ever be crucial for Kirby unless someone discovers an easy way to footstool viably. You can't start a jab lock from a simple trip. The easiest way to start a jab lock is from a missed tech, but keep in mind that it's impossible to tech footstools.

Keep in mind that you can also use down tilt instead of jab for damage and ease of use, but down tilt is more likely to be successfully Smash DI'd.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Oh, we aren't..... D: Please disregard my previous statement lol :p
I'm saying "don't get hit" doesn't apply to all of us. :p

Jab locking isn't extremely useful for Kirby (the damage is pretty negligible, and he has other smash attack setups), and I'd say if you're not a top ranked player it's too situational to bother learning. I'd say knowledge of jab lock setups won't ever be crucial for Kirby unless someone discovers an easy way to footstool viably.
I discovered accidentally that it's possible to footstool after a uair at different %'s on all characters, though I can't test if it's a "true combo" or not.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
so the other day i was playing with my friends against the cp in a team and we started wondering. since he dont got a main but i do (kirby) he dont know who would be the best with kirby in doubles. so if he could find a great partner we could do some serious damage. so my question is this: which character is the best to team up with kirby in a doubles

A1lion835

Smash Champion
so the other day i was playing with my friends against the cp in a team and we started wondering. since he dont got a main but i do (kirby) he dont know who would be the best with kirby in doubles. so if he could find a great partner we could do some serious damage. so my question is this: which character is the best to team up with kirby in a doubles
Probably Snake or MK. Kirby and MK go well together for a team, and snake can do all kinds of **** with kirby, like letting him take the power and double-camping, or strapping a c4 to kirby for an omnigay.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I discovered accidentally that it's possible to footstool after a uair at different %'s on all characters, though I can't test if it's a "true combo" or not.
I've looked into this before, and it's just not worth it because it's not viable. Even though up air has decent range and gives Kirby the frame advantage necessary, you'll never hit with it in the way you want to in order to footstool against an opponent who knows what they're doing.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Probably Snake or MK. Kirby and MK go well together for a team, and snake can do all kinds of **** with kirby, like letting him take the power and double-camping, or strapping a c4 to kirby for an omnigay.
Warning:

Yes, Kirby and MK work well together, but it is a peculiar team, since you have no stock tank, and both need to be aggressive and well coordinated (this team sets up amazing team combos when it's in synch), and if you fail at doing this, especially the coordination part, your team is doomed to fail.

All in all, I'd say Snake would be a better teammate than MK.

Sonic isn't half bad either, and neither is Lucario. Actually, I really like Kirby/Lucario.

I've also had success with Kirby/ROB and Kirby/Marth.

It kind of depends on the playstyles you can adapt to, and how well coordinated you are.

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
Hi.

Does someone know if there is advantages frames after a grounded inhale release? I already know that you can footstool some characters after an air inhale release, but I wondered if it was possible to do something on the ground, like a grab or a jab.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
does kirby's u-tilt hit on both sides regardless what way you are facing? Or does it hit on both sides of the top of him? Could some1 make hitbox data of him that would be useful.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Hi.

Does someone know if there is advantages frames after a grounded inhale release? I already know that you can footstool some characters after an air inhale release, but I wondered if it was possible to do something on the ground, like a grab or a jab.
Kirby doesn't have a frame advantage on grounded grab releases, and inhale counts as one, so no. D: You can still hit them with something if they're not expecting it.

does kirby's u-tilt hit on both sides regardless what way you are facing? Or does it hit on both sides of the top of him? Could some1 make hitbox data of him that would be useful.
Yes, it does, but it takes a little while for the utilt to get in front of him. It's still pretty useful though.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Kirby doesn't have a frame advantage on grounded grab releases, and inhale counts as one, so no. D: You can still hit them with something if they're not expecting it.

Yes, it does, but it takes a little while for the utilt to get in front of him. It's still pretty useful though.
wow thats sweet im going to use it a lot more

Top Bottom