• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
The stage discussion thread says that Kirby can abuse PS1 better than MK. I'm not really sure how.

sushi-F13ND

Smash Cadet
The stage discussion thread says that Kirby can abuse PS1 better than MK. I'm not really sure how.
maybe because of the high ceiling?
a good DI could save you from early kills that MK usually gets on other stages

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Because Kirby has some really gay abuses there. Check the stage discussion for details, but among other things, we have:

-An Infinite.
-Several locks.
-A auto-KO throw (Ninja spike) on Lucario and ZSS that can also affect other characters if they DI it a certain way.
-Several Infinite Stone glitches.
-Dsmash stagespike if they are hanging onto the edge/under the stage lip.
-Final Cutter goes through many parts of the stage.
-A suicide throw.
-A windmill stagespike.
-Numerous stone slide opportunities.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Because Kirby has some really gay abuses there. Check the stage discussion for details, but among other things, we have:

-An Infinite.
-Several locks.
-A auto-KO throw (Ninja spike) on Lucario and ZSS that can also affect other characters if they DI it a certain way.
-Several Infinite Stone glitches.
-Dsmash stagespike if they are hanging onto the edge/under the stage lip.
-Final Cutter goes through many parts of the stage.
-A suicide throw.
-A windmill stagespike.
-Numerous stone slide opportunities.
i really wanna look into those advantages, is there a certain thread that goes through all of them in detail, such as the NinjaSpike thread?

and no offense, but it takes forever to find the right info in the stage discussion thread... and the "overall findings" are so vague.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
and no offense, but it takes forever to find the right info in the stage discussion thread... and the "overall findings" are so vague.
You should really post there and ask questions instead of just being confused about it, it's not easy to make the stage guide active if I don't get an infraction for sextuple post. =/

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
i really wanna look into those advantages, is there a certain thread that goes through all of them in detail, such as the NinjaSpike thread?

I'll try to find one of the many posts about it and edit it in here.

To be honest, I explain these tricks so often I get tired of typing them.

If I can't find them, it's probably easier to just play a Wifi match where I can show you all of them, since every post I make on the stage gets lost.

EDIT:
Found it:

Arg, wait! I have things to say!

This stage is amazing besides the fact that it allows us to do pretty much every glitch or exploit that Kirby can do in this game (Stone glitch, FC through stage obstacles, one, and possibly two infinites, Ninja spikes, suicide throws, etc.).

Anyway, on the neutral stage, we can ninja spike, and... that's about all we have for exploits. Otherwise, it has a high ceiling, somewhat far sides, and a few platforms to aid with comboing. This basically makes us hard to kill and helps with our gimping. This stage also screws over a lot of characters due to that lip, and we can easily stage spike. As an added bonus, people can't go under the stage to avoid us.

Next, Fire stage:

-If you're good at teching the tree you can survive a while longer.
-Uthrow with your back to the tree can kill earlier than normal Uthrows.
-FC's sholckwave travels through the tree, regardless of the direction you're spamming in.
-Doing FC under the branch on the left side of the tree allows you to spam it fairly fast, and pretty much free of punishment.
-I *believe* you can Dtilt lock people under the branch of that tree.
-The top of the branch is pretty good for combing as well.

The water stage:

-Windmill allows for more combos, and allows you to spam FC without fear of punishment.
-Suicide throws.
-The windmill allows for some interesting stone slides.
-I've managed to do Uthrows that result in landing on the windmill in such a way that they bounce directly into one of the blades and spikes them down, creating a weird stagespike.
-I don't really play on the other side of this form much, so I can't say much about it. That windmill is too good!

Grass stage:

-You can do the stone glitch on the right side of the tree branch. It is amazingly useful since few people know it, and due to the angle, it hits above and below the branch.
-The platforms can help with combos as well.
-Not much to say on this one.

The Earth stage:

-This is the best stage IMO.
-We can camp in the middle, since FC shockwave can go through the rock as long as the blade is touching the rock, and we can regulate the height by landing on different platforms.
-If the try to stop us by camping by coming in the middle to attack us (or attempt to set up for wall infinites), we can jab infinite them (just be careful to end it before 300%, because it takes a little bit to end the jabs, and far too often I've accidentaly had it end at like 320% instead of 300%. **** it racks up damage too fast...
-The left side is pretty cool for us too. We can Uthrow with our back to the mountain and get quick kills, FC camp there too, and possibly even get stone kills, since it can be hard to avoid there.

Yeah, this stage is amazing.

In addition to what I have here, there's an infinite stone glitch on the windmill on the top right when the thing is almost shaped like an X, but it's pretty pointless.
Also, Dsmash hits through the lip at the edge, meaning we can use it to stagespike people just hanging at the edge without invul or people who are for some reason or another under the lip.
The platforms on the grass stage are great for making Walls of Bairs too, since you can autocancel your Bair on a platform, then drop through and start a new one.
That Uthrow stagespike in the water part I talked about is done almost the same way as the suicide throw, only don't grab at the edge.

I think there's more but I forget.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
You should really post there and ask questions instead of just being confused about it, it's not easy to make the stage guide active if I don't get an infraction for sextuple post. =/
yeah i could guess how frustrating it is :/
what im tryin to say though is that you should find some time to make the thread more easy for other kirby mains

ex.
Norfair ★★★★★
Luigi really has little things to abuse this stage while Kirby has many vs Luigi, counter pick here if your use to it.

that was a little vague imo, didn't really help me at all...
what can kirby abuse? list them.
it should be your job to find the info. that other players discussed and to put it into simpler words to make a more helpful guide.

EDIT: I wasn't tryin to sound rude, i was just giving some constructive criticism :]

@fromundaman, OMIGAWD THANK YOU SO MUCH~
no really, thanks. mustve tooken you a while to find it, but this is really gonna help me out.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
yeah i could guess how frustrating it is :/
what im tryin to say though is that you should find some time to make the thread more easy for other kirby mains

ex.
Norfair ★★★★★
Luigi really has little things to abuse this stage while Kirby has many vs Luigi, counter pick here if your use to it.

that was a little vague imo, didn't really help me at all...
what can kirby abuse? list them.
it should be your job to find the info. that other players discussed and to put it into simpler words to make a more helpful guide.
Alright then, it's about time for me to update the stage guide soon, I just couldn't find the time to update. Also Kirby can abuse the high ceilings of Norfair, since Luigi has it bad with stages with high ceilings, Kirby have most of the stage under his control. Of course the blast zones isn't very close and will save you from Luigi's broken F-Smash if your near the middle of the stage. And of course, knocking him to the lava is key, (meaning lava fountains, on the side and the one's that squirt out from the background), the lava wave come's too slow, and your able to dodge it if you want, so I won't include that. The lava pools, (the lava that rises and fall under the stage), won't help you much, but you can D-Air him to the lava pool if your able. Lastly, it's easy to detect his recovery here, once you knock him out, he will either use Cyclone to come back, where you can gimp him while he's performing that move if you stay on him, Green Missile where you can gimp him while he's in the middle of the move, but it's more risky since a misfire could happen, or if he's close enough, he would just jump after the closet edge, if he does that, you can't really do anything to him, but to catch him slipping up when he get's off the edge, (which is a random chance you'll hit). What really strikes Luigi on this stage is again, the high ceilings of Norfair, meaning, little to know ground game, only way Luigi can attack Kirby is by air strategy, or try to chase him which would be a bad idea.

TO BE CONTINUED​

I would tell you more, but hosting a tourney will really take a toll on your energy. D=

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No problem. I knew approx. where to find it (check the 1st 30 pages of the stage guide for more info on each stage), just had to go dig it up and add a few things.

Also Viper, the ceiling's not that high. Get hit by any smash on the left and right side from Weegee and odds are, you're dead.
Also, the lava wall may be the slowest, but it's the easiest to knock people into.

Also, you should include stuff about how the windbox of inhale can make people drop through the lava to their dooms (not that that happens often, but still...).

Characters not to bring to Norfair:
-MK
-Ganon
-Mario (potentially)
-Jiggs!
-Did I mention MK?
-Anyone with tethers, generally speaking.
-Link (Not only is this stage good for him, but it's not like you had that much else to ban anyway... Almost every stage is bad for him lol)
-Oh, and MK

That stage generally favors low tiers and MK, which I think is part of the reason people hate it so much, though no one will ever admit to it.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
Alright then, it's about time for me to update the stage guide soon, I just couldn't find the time to update. Also Kirby can abuse the high ceilings of Norfair, since Luigi has it bad with stages with high ceilings, Kirby have most of the stage under his control. Of course the blast zones isn't very close and will save you from Luigi's broken F-Smash if your near the middle of the stage. And of course, knocking him to the lava is key, (meaning lava fountains, on the side and the one's that squirt out from the background), the lava wave come's too slow, and your able to dodge it if you want, so I won't include that. The lava pools, (the lava that rises and fall under the stage), won't help you much, but you can D-Air him to the lava pool if your able. Lastly, it's easy to detect his recovery here, once you knock him out, he will either use Cyclone to come back, where you can gimp him while he's performing that move if you stay on him, Green Missile where you can gimp him while he's in the middle of the move, but it's more risky since a misfire could happen, or if he's close enough, he would just jump after the closet edge, if he does that, you can't really do anything to him, but to catch him slipping up when he get's off the edge, (which is a random chance you'll hit). What really strikes Luigi on this stage is again, the high ceilings of Norfair, meaning, little to know ground game, only way Luigi can attack Kirby is by air strategy, or try to chase him which would be a bad idea.

TO BE CONTINUED​

I would tell you more, but hosting a tourney will really take a toll on your energy. D=
yeah i totally understand, unfortunately life can be a hassle:ohwell:

and some more advice, when you put that into the guide, it should prbly look more like this:
Norfair
-high ceilings = kirby airgame = luigi forced to use airgame
-luigi's broken f-smash can't kill you as easily, since blastzones are very close
-USE THE LAVA! it could help rack up dmg

----------
imo, much more easier on the eyes AND easier to write than what you just wrote :p

EDIT: its perfectly finee, go host it xD but anyway thanks for takin the time to write thatt.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
sorry for the double post, new topic.

what exactly IS a good strategy to use with kirby?
I know it differ's between each MU, but generally what should we be doing?

The reason i ask is because ive been trying to figure out my style of playing kirby, either im much too aggressive or im too patient.

i guess im asking to see if anyone has an example video, really. or if anything, try to explain to me in words a type of strategy you use.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
What you have to do with Kirby is read what your opponent's general strategy is and counter it with the appropriate counter-strategy. This can be said of all characters, but since Kirby's approach options, offensive pressure, and speed are lacking it's even more important for Kirby than others.

If there's something you want to be doing with Kirby all the time it's forcing your opponent into doing something you want them to and then punishing them for it.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
If there's something you want to be doing with Kirby all the time it's forcing your opponent into doing something you want them to and then punishing them for it.
How could i do this?

EDIT: I wasn't clear enough.

Kirby can't camp.
so my first question would have to be, what would I be doing to force to opponent to come after me?

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Camping doesn't make someone automatically come right up and start attacking you. Futhermore, forcing the opponent to come after you isn't always a good idea... but if you really want your opponent to come after you, they will. Let's face it, Kirby's not very intimidating and your opponent will eventually get the idea that they can just walk up and "get that thar Kirbeh".

What you want to do is force your opponent into doing something you want them to and then punish them for it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Despite what some people seem to think, I think Kirby is a heavy 'bait and punish' character.

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
What you want to do is force your opponent into doing something you want them to and then punish them for it.
ah. Speaking generally here, the only things I believe i've punished are slow moves and poorly spaced attacks.
Are there any other things I'm missing?

fromundaman said:
Despite what some people seem to think, I think Kirby is a heavy 'bait and punish' character.
as in,
he is easy to 'bait and punish'
or he can easily 'bait and punish' ?

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
Ok question...

am I cracking up or did my Kirby trip when I went to use f-smash? o_O

~Shao~

Smash Ace
When you do a f-smash with the control stick + a, the game inputs a dash command. Usually the f-smash comes out before the dash itself, like when you stutter step or pivot smash, but if during the "dash", you trip, your f-smash won't come out, and you'll trip instead. I'm not entirely sure about this, but it's something along these lines >.>

321BOOM

Smash Journeyman
ah. Speaking generally here, the only things I believe i've punished are slow moves and poorly spaced attacks.
Are there any other things I'm missing?

as in,
he is easy to 'bait and punish'
or he can easily 'bait and punish' ?
nevermind, I found this info. on other threads :)

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Ok question...

am I cracking up or did my Kirby trip when I went to use f-smash? o_O
What happens is, if you use the control stick to do an fsmash, you move a bit before actually using the smash. We humans don't have perfect coordination, so we move both hands at different times, especially considering how pressing the A before a horizontal direction will mean we're going to jab. Since we have to move the control stick before pressing A to do a smash attack, we actually "run" before the attack comes out, meaning that we have a chance to trip while trying an attack, unless we use the c-stick... Then that chance goes down to 0%.

I've tried doing sideBs on the ground to kill an opponent my ally was grabbing in a TEAMS match, and I ended up tripping and my opponent escaped to cause more trouble. :(

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok question here. Ive played against ZSS before and i have to say that she is ****ing annoying because of her speed. she obviously outspeeds kirby. every time im gonna Fsmash Zamus just moves out of the way. Any tips on beating the crap out of Zamus? Im having a hard time with her

Plu-e

Smash Cadet
OMG OMG OMG..>GUYS!@!! I THINK I FOUND SOMETHING THAT COULD REALLY HELP OUT KIRBY'S!!!!

Basically it involvers dair and jab lock...

I don't really know much about the technical stuff (though I would like to find out ) but - ANYWAYS!!

When you use dair there are a series of hits with little to no knock back and a final stronger kick that causes a more noticable knockback.

You can fast fall to control where you land this final kick or you can di out towards the side and fast fall so that the final knock back kick doesn't hit the oponent.

This is the thing, if you're oppenents weight and damage are at the right point, the oppenent will be just about set for a jab lock and kirby will be finishing his final kick (unless u cancel it into the ground).

A lot of people typicaly expect the full blown dair rather than a couple of hits and a jab lock follow up...uhm...idk it seems pretty useless when I consider people teching out of it (but if they roll towards you or you have them at the edge, a d-smash or a nicely planted hammer or f-smash or grab or w/e does quite well) ^+^

Anyways uhm...yeah I just thought of that...we should...uhm....get that better looked into and stuff <_<

after all...I'm only a "Smash Noob" - _ -

My questino....uhm...can someone look into this and get it back to me or atleast around

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
OMG OMG OMG..>GUYS!@!! I THINK I FOUND SOMETHING THAT COULD REALLY HELP OUT KIRBY'S!!!!

Basically it involvers dair and jab lock...

I don't really know much about the technical stuff (though I would like to find out ) but - ANYWAYS!!

When you use dair there are a series of hits with little to no knock back and a final stronger kick that causes a more noticable knockback.

You can fast fall to control where you land this final kick or you can di out towards the side and fast fall so that the final knock back kick doesn't hit the oponent.

This is the thing, if you're oppenents weight and damage are at the right point, the oppenent will be just about set for a jab lock and kirby will be finishing his final kick (unless u cancel it into the ground).

A lot of people typicaly expect the full blown dair rather than a couple of hits and a jab lock follow up...uhm...idk it seems pretty useless when I consider people teching out of it (but if they roll towards you or you have them at the edge, a d-smash or a nicely planted hammer or f-smash or grab or w/e does quite well) ^+^

Anyways uhm...yeah I just thought of that...we should...uhm....get that better looked into and stuff <_<

after all...I'm only a "Smash Noob" - _ -

My questino....uhm...can someone look into this and get it back to me or atleast around
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceeY1CLoOP8

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
^+^ THANK YOU!...but...is is it techable?
Yep, almost any attack that slams you into the ground is techable. However, in the heat of a match, a guy won't notice that he has to tech at the last hit of the dair and still suffer the jablock.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Unless you KO them before they reach 143% damage lol
DDD's won't let you.

Plus, it's just something to mix it up. It's pretty situational, although you can bait opponents into falling for it (ledgehop until they get near trying to dtilt you, then dair while going on-stage and jablock successful if they don't tech).

lil cj

Smash Lord
quick question, is kirby's grab release chaing grab on ness known?
Most likely yes
Both Ness and Lucas can get grab released CGed by almost every character,
because of their extra frames on their grab release animation...
one of their weaknesses:(

aqua421

Smash Apprentice
Another quick question. On tall characters, has anyone ever tried a full hop Dair into a grounded footstool? i was just trying it on the computers and it was working but those are the computers and not real people.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I'm pretty sure Kirby can't GR CG the Earthbound kids. While they do get extra GR frames, they're negated by the fact that we're so short that they don't suffer falling time from ground breaks.

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
Hi all. Just visiting with a present for everybody. Man... I needa visit this place some more...

Anywayz, cutting to the chase:

I was wondering if you guys could make use of this new AT with pikachu? I'm teaming with my sis("Bobby", plays Kirby) and am going to advance the technique. Here's the original post AND video! ^_^ enjoy!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8104088&postcount=14

Cool thing about this move is that it allows a INSTANTANEOUS NON-FASTFALLED d-air right in the middle of it. Works for those with laggy (but epic) spike-moves with high fastfall risk.

Thanks for the time. I hope you like and laugh. Please pm me if you have any neat contributions or comments. :D

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
uhh the link isnt working for me

meh what a waste of time, just wondering how many character boards did you spam with this filth?

Top Bottom