• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Who is it against that you can't connect the uair withO_o? To my knowledge, only sheik can not get hit by the uair without doing anything.
I supoose it could be DI, but don't forget I'm also talking about the second part when you grab again, at which point they have higher percentage.
If you're in that position, you could try for a jump->fair, I guess.
Like I said, that's what I do. But for some characters, (peach is the one it happened with) she gos right into this little space between where my Uair and Fair would hit, so I can't land eithr. x_x

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I supoose it could be DI, but don't forget I'm also talking about the second part when you grab again, at which point they have higher percentage.

Like I said, that's what I do. But for some characters, (peach is the one it happened with) she gos right into this little space between where my Uair and Fair would hit, so I can't land eithr. x_x
Trade secret, regrab>Air hammer often works wonders, and it does a lot of damage.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I should also mention, it also works with Dthrow>Utilt>shieldgrab>Fthrow>Hammer.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
After the first u-air (hopefully u can land that at least) follow that with a reverse u-tilt upon landing, followed by a b-air for a good alternative 38-40% combo.

But if u cant land that first u-air, then yea, i would prolly say follow with a jump->f-air.
OR land from the f-throw, and tech chase them if they like to not jump after it, for a quick easy 2nd throw.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.

Doh! I should really read the posts I answer more thuroughly.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Maybe he can post why he won the money and that would provide most of the answers in the future?

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Oh...Sorry...I just thought I'd share that With my fellow Kirby mainers....I feel like we're family...Me sorry...BTW i played Kirby and Surprised alot of people hehe

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Try going thru the thread called "Kirby & The Amazing Guide" by T!mmy, its a complete guide for any Kirby to learn basics and ATs. Also check out the video thread so u can watch some Kirbys fight, maybe u can learn some things from that too.
If all else fails, u can always ask Kirby mainers here for some training. ^_^

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, most of our vids are old. Here's the thing though, most Kirby players will essentially tell you the same thing: Kirby is a character relying more on improvisation than anything else.

Also, your question is a bit vague, and no one wants to write a 10 page answer detailing every aspect of Kirby's metagame.

I would suggest A) Put up videos so that we might be able to pinpoint exactly what you're doing wrong and what you could do better, B) Play some of us online. While Wifi sucks, we can still kind of see what your bad habits are, what are your good points, etc, and work on those, or C) Get in the Xat chatroom and just ask people questions and get answers in real time.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
^^^^ That. Its much better to help a Kirby when we know what the problem is rather than just spewing a truckload of tips and strategies.
But of course, not everybody has the ability to make videos, me being one of them...>_<

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Meh, most of our vids are old. Here's the thing though, most MK players will essentially tell you the same thing: MK is a character relying more on improvisation than anything else.
Both MK or Kirby are the right answers, IMO.

Try and look at the videos from last page to first, since the ones in the second post are very old. Check out some of Chudat's videos, he's the one that got Kirby represented extremely well back then.

EDIT: And on a serious note, subscribe to SniperNightOwl's youtube account. She uploads videos all the time, and every once in a while she uploads kirby videos for other people. She's cool like that :p

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Ah thx for the option.
Lol MK doesnt have improvisation, its just using one of their 3 universal moves at specific times.
J/k...sorta...

Wizard Of Seraphym

Smash Cadet
well i mean, I haven't really used him much yet and I wanted to learn the combos like grab release and things, how and when to use them, things like that, but then again, I'm a marth main so I'm used to rigid combo structures and stuff.
Lets see if I can try to say what I mean...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
well i mean, I haven't really used him much yet and I wanted to learn the combos like grab release and things, how and when to use them, things like that, but then again, I'm a marth main so I'm used to rigid combo structures and stuff.
Lets see if I can try to say what I mean...
fthrow>fsmash... fair>fair>(insert next things here)... Those?

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
things like that yeah
Kirby has a couple of those, but most of them start with grabs.

fthrow>uair>fthrow>uair, fthrow>uair>reverse utila>bair, dthrow>utilt, WoP (bair>bair>bair...), kirbycide variations (inhale>footstool, inhale>spit under the stage>uair), ledgehopped-dair-non-fastfalled>utilt>bair...

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
utila?

the A isnt anywhere near the T!!!
Don't judge me :(

but yeah, cool.

I heard he had grab-release combos too though
Well, I dunno about that... But I guess, if the opponent doesn't see it coming (or tries jumping away/attacking):

grab>pummel spam (for ground release+dmg)>ftilt, grab at the edge>pummel spam>(when the opponent falls over the edge) ff bair leads to stagespike...

Dunno, they're not guaranteed, but most of the time they won't see em coming (if you moderate them)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Really the only grab release combos are these:

Against a wall: Hold down your shield button and just keep mashing the A button for lotsa pummels and regrabs.

Otherwise, if your opponent doesn't shield: Grab release>Ftilt/Fsmash, or even hammer if they try to spotdodge.

Not sure if the regrab is guaranteed (I've seen some characters get out of it, but generally people can't seem to), but the Fsmash/Ftilt is definitely not.

Basically, Kirby is not a grab release character, though his grab game is amazing regardless.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Usually, if the player is smart, they will spam jump while in a grab so that when they get released, they fly up in the air a good distance, away from danger. However, this can be followed up by Kirby into a number of options, including u-air, f-air, and if ur quick, hammer. Since they are semi-helpless during their release amination, u can ave ur way with them in the air, which is where Kirby dominates.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
They can't air break if you are pummeling as they break, and if you take advantage of pummels' IASA frames, Kirby can make air releases practically impossible.

That being said, grab releases at the edge can occasionally be useful to set up gimps for this reason.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
So wait, if u continually pummel for the entire grab, air breaks won't happen? Jeez u guys are makin me go into Practice mode way too much...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's right, you cannot air break if you are being pummeled. You can air break between pummels, but there is almost no time between Kirby's pummels if you make use of IASA frames (I just hit A as much as possible), hence, ground releases.
On top of that, since Kirby is short, he cannot force air breaks unless he's holding them over an edge and not pummeling.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Not really. They fall diagonally away from the stage, too far away for a Bair stagespike, and you're facing the wrong way to Bair them if you just run off the ledge and try to FF Bair that way.

Oftentimes, your better off trying to predict where they'll jump and Dair.
I've found ZSS tends to have problems with the grab release Dair, since all her options essentially put her in the same place (Keep in mind that you can hit her when she UpBs until she makes physical contact with the ledge.).

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Maybe, but Dair tends to work better...

EDIT: Hey Kawaii, any chance you could include the Xat chat in the list of links on the OP?

Smoom77

Smash Master
I've just noticed some really good matches with Kirby against MK lately. Where does Kirby boards think that Kirby's going in the next tier list?

Sorry if there's already a topic or discussion, I missed it.

Top Bottom