• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Question and Answer/Helpful Thread directory! <(^_^)>

Shuzaku

Smash Apprentice
i think its DI up and away from kirby and jump before the uair comes out. i think most if not all should be able to get out of it

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
quick question,

have we figured out which frames of the dair autocancel yet?
if so, vids?

(haven't seen much action around the kirby forums)

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
If they are DIing correctly they shouldn't get caught. I think a was able to do it against t1mmy with my DK (sorry if I'm remembering wrong, t1mmy!).
Yes, you did and it didn't take too long after I told you how to Smash DI it. Remember that it's important to Smash DI it, not just a regular DI.

have we figured out which frames of the dair autocancel yet?
if so, vids?
D-air auto-cancels on frames 1-17. Why do you need a video? Just fast fall a D-air and hit the ground on frames 1-17 and you'll autocancel into regular Landing Lag (instead of Aerial Attack Lag) at which point you can immediate buffer into a movement or attack.

Why does dash attack sometimes not do the final hit?
The Dash Attack always has the final hitbox unless something interrupts Kirby before that (like someone hitting Kirby with an attack). If the opponent is not taking the final hitbox - which is larger and stronger than the previous hitboxes - it could simply be due to the fact that he is not close enough to be hit by it. This can be seen mostly when the opponent DI's or SDI's out of the Dash Attack as well as due to Kirby's movement taking him away from the opponent's hurtbox. Just because the opponent isn't getting hit by a hitbox doesn't mean there is not a hitbox there.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
D-air auto-cancels on frames 1-17. Why do you need a video? Just fast fall a D-air and hit the ground on frames 1-17 and you'll autocancel into regular Landing Lag (instead of Aerial Attack Lag) at which point you can immediate buffer into a movement or attack.
oh, i thought there was a couple frames _after_ the attack completes itself that autocancel like ganon's SH dair etc.

well, i guess the real dair autocancel as an approach is riskier than just spacing a bair. =) does the hitbox even come out before frame 17?

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
oh, i thought there was a couple frames _after_ the attack completes itself that autocancel like ganon's SH dair etc.

well, i guess the real dair autocancel as an approach is riskier than just spacing a bair. =) does the hitbox even come out before frame 17?
Yeah, I think it comes out on frame 14. You can check t1mmy's guide in the stickys to be sure, he has all the frame data listed there.

Lovely

Smash Lord
Why isn't Kirbycide banned from tourneys? isnt it cheap? In my school tourneys, no suicide moves are allowed.
♣ Swallowcides are not cheap. There's many ways of not getting close to Kirby or King Dedede when attempting to perform this move though Kirby has more tricks to use this move than King Dedede. Also when a Kirby main swallows you then jump off the edge, just tilt the control stick, (or D-pad if you use Wii-Mote). Saying Kirbycide should be banned is like saying should Ganondorf's flame choke in the air should be banned, saying Bowser's flip jump to off the stage should be banned, saying Wario's bite off the stage should be banned, and Diddy Kong's monkey flip off the stage should be banned. Only move that should be banned is Meta Knight's infinite D-Cape since it's a great staller and all. ♥

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash

I think it actually does auto cancel after the hitbox, but if it does it's only a couple frames or so. And no, the hitbox doesn't even come out before frame 17. All of Kirby's Aerials auto cancel befor the hitbox even comes out. Pretty lame but at least most of them don't have much lag when landing.

Fyist

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone give me some useful facts/tips for fighting olimar?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I should tell this to the school tourney host. the last time I participated, I was disallowed from using Kirby
Tell your school tourney host that I say Kirbycides are nowhere CLOSE to "cheap."

And if he doesn't believe me, then tell him I can probably 3-stock him (assuming you guys play with stocks) with ANY character in the game. ;)
Can anyone give me some useful facts/tips for fighting olimar?
Olimars love to pivot grab.

Space Bairs just outside of his grab range and force him towards the edge of the stage, then he doesn't have anywhere to go. Then one of his options is rolldodging into the stage to give himself room...if you predict this, punish it.

Copy his power if you can, and spam pikminz at him. It's actually a really useful Copy ability. Yeah, you can only use it on the ground, but it's still good.

Get him offstage as quickly as you can...Dair or Bair or whatever him, just don't let him recover.

If he's spamming pikmin at you, you can spam Final Cutter at him (be careful with your spacing) and it works pretty well. You can also just stand there doing Vulcan Jab and they shouldn't be able to reach you. If you get a pikmin stuck on you, your best bet at getting it off is a shorthop Nair, and fastfall it. Do it quickly because those pikmin rack up damage fast.

This was a horrible matchup for me, until I got some practice in, and I realized it's not too hard. It's actually kinda fun. Maybe.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Question!!!!!

Whats a good way to ledge guard as Kirby?
Depends on the character, but most of the time, you're best off using bairs and dairs (and fairs) to knock them away from the stage. There are some chars, like marth, who you're better off knocking away from the stage, and some, like DK, who you're better off dairing. If you inhale snake or DDD out of their up b before they touch the ground, you can let them break out offstage and they don't get their up b back. You can also air hammer for ridiculously low % kills;).

Watchful_Eye

Smash Apprentice
Maybe you should try to swing the hammer in a way that the second swing hits the opponent if the first misses - so that he dies if he airdodges :) Many people predict the 2nd swing wrong.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Air Hammer is better off used when predicting airdodges and hitting with the second swing of the attack.

Edit: Totally didn't read the post of the guy above me.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Meh, I tend to use it more for the 1st swing myself. Sort of mindgame them into getting hit.

HOWEVER, another good usage is against recovering Oli's. If they whistle through the first hit, they get hit by the second (and take damage from both!).

Hero.

Smash Cadet
I guess this is a genral brawl discussion but since I main kirby whats the best place to go after you KO your opponent. Usually I roll towards the edge of the stage and something happens where i mess up and roll right into an attack that ko's me.

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
I guess this is a genral brawl discussion but since I main kirby whats the best place to go after you KO your opponent. Usually I roll towards the edge of the stage and something happens where i mess up and roll right into an attack that ko's me.
The edge isn't a bad place to be, unless you mean hanging on the ledge, in which case I wouldn't advise it against anyone except maybe Falco. Its best to try and keep your movement options open when your opponent is coming back from being KOed. Try air-camping until the invincibility frames wear off, then you can go back to fighting like usual.

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Olimars arent that hard, u just have to remember to stay in the air as much as possible, or u WILL get ***** by grabs. Aerial camp with b-airs, and try to suck him up, like Asdioh said. Once he's off the stage, he's done. either continue to gimp him, of just edgehog so he can't grab the ledge.
*BUT* good Olimars will predict this edgehogging, and will throw a Pikmin on u while they try to get back, most likely a Purple one, and knock you off the ledge so they can grab it. Either make sure u got ur invincibility frames up, or just hit him back some more.

*Edit* oops Late comment is late...>_<

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Okay, now I always hear people to say to air camp with Bair, but Oli is small, and if I'm low enough to hit with a Bair, I'm in grab range, so how do you guys get around that?

RoflWafflez

Smash Apprentice
Okay, now I always hear people to say to air camp with Bair, but Oli is small, and if I'm low enough to hit with a Bair, I'm in grab range, so how do you guys get around that?
Wait until he performs an attack/grab, which will make him go in some type of animation, and THATS when u come down from the skys to actually connect a b-air, since he can't do anything but wait for his animation to end and watch in horror as b-airs rain down from the sky. *****.

Also, ive found that Kirby's dash attack is great for not only getting off Pikmin, but for getting in close to Oli and getting a few hits on him. Yea, they can grab u out of it, but their 1st instinct is to sidestep/block (if they block, they never hold it down long enough), and they get hit. Works for me. B-air camp, land and quickly dash attack.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... I was attempting it last time I played Hilt, but could rarely get them off during his throw animation lag.

Then again, I'm better now then I was then, but still... Good thing I have secondaries...

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I also have probs with olimar.

What I did the last game I played against the olimar, was bait him into doing grabs. Just hover extremely low in front of him, and fall every once in a while with a bair. Always be above the ground that's in Oli's grab range. if he jumps, bair. If he attempts a grab and misses, fastfall bair (or fastfall then grab).

I don't know why, but while I was doing this, all his pikmin died near the ledge, ALL. I took this opportunity and literally strung SO MANY HITS that in less than 5 seconds he went from 0-100%, then he killed himself because he thought it was stupid to even try fighting kirby w/o pikmin.

EDIT: emember to hit him, even if he's going to whistle. the % he's gonna get is worth it.

Purple

Hi guys!

I was playing sheik in some friendlies and upon rewatching them i noticed i shield alot with my kirby. What would be a good idea for people who are overly defensive like me?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
It's hard to say without actually seeing a match, for there are a lot of ways to be very defensive with Kirby. For example, while my Kirby is very defensive, I can't say I am always in my shield.

I'm guessing you know your OoS options?

Purple

Hi guys!
It's hard to say without actually seeing a match, for there are a lot of ways to be very defensive with Kirby. For example, while my Kirby is very defensive, I can't say I am always in my shield.

I'm guessing you know your OoS options?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6ZkxPl4ok

here's a match against the sheik player. i know bair and nair. i have problems doing things OoS effectively..

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Since this is my first post in this thread, (I feel so ashamed since I've been around this Kirby boards for nearly two years), I just came here to see Pervatasaurus awesome Think avatar, Panel De Pon FTW!!! =D

Ok, from that video, as you say you do shield a lot, maybe your too use to trying to punish someone. I don't see enough tilt's, remember that Kirby's U-Tilt can hit your foe from behind so you don't have to shield when someone's behind you, Kirby's D-Tilt is great as well since characters can trip from it. Hmm, try to practice U-Air as well, it cover's above and below Kirby very well. Also, practice grab combo's to rack up damage, Gonzo Combo for example is one of the well known grab combo's to use and does well over 30% if performed ok. If you good with air battles, of course B-Air can best a lot of characters air moves. Those are my options, of course since I'm an awful teacher I don't post here most of the time. T_T

Purple

Hi guys!
*snip*

*snip*

you should be ashamed! :p. And think is my favorite character from Panel de Pon. Lip comes next :).

Anyways i agree that i need to start utilizing u-tilt alot more. I try to use bair against him but i get punished. i'm running into him way to much. I hate the idea of kirby playing safe though. But i guess it has to happen sometimes :[.

Dtilt comes out slow in my opinion. When would be the best time to use it. i try to use it after d-airs.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The best time to use D-Tilt is after you do an attack, like Kirby's F-Smash, then do D-Tilt just before you get punished if you miss or they shield it. It won't work well if your opponent perfect shield your attack or if they dodge your F-Smash, the character you face have a fast D-Smash like Peach, Meta Knight, Zelda, etc. You can use D-Tilt after D-Air, just make sure you distance yourself to perform your D-Tilt so you don't get punished.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w6ZkxPl4ok

here's a match against the sheik player. i know bair and nair. i have problems doing things OoS effectively..
Overall... In MY opinion...

Aerial game: I see you like both dair and nair. I'll take this moment to tell you to tone down on them. They're ok attacks, but there are better options. Bair gets refreshed easily during the match, so don't be afraid to use it "too much". Fair is like a bair, except divided into 3 attacks and with less knockback, so use it when your opponent is going to airdodge/spotdodge/drop his shield unaware. Uair is great for when your opponent is on top of you, and you don't know what else to do. Its hitbox seems small, but it's bigger than that. DownB shouldn't be used when you're aimed at the stage and you don't have the time to follow-up, so use it for edgeguarding when they're near the bottom side of the stage (forces them to airdodge, making them fall even lower towards their doom, possibly out of the ledge's reach). SideB is strong and all, but there are times when a simple bair can do the same thing, and is not as punisheable.

Ground game: You shielded a lot in the start of the first match, but then you adjusted and you stopped shielding excessively. I'm guessing you're trying to shieldgrab your opponent, and trying to powershield everything (get hit and accidentally shield afterwards). When your opponent is in front of you, try to shieldgrab him whenever he hits your shield and is in range. When he's behind you, either utilt or bair, those should be the most effective OoS options. I saw lots of shorthopped dairs, bad idea. If he shields one hit, he can just wait until you land to take advantage of your landing lag and do whatever he wants to you. A huge lack of utilt, it's a great attack for clashing with things (not recommended), and also combos into a bair when your opponent starts DI'ing out of your utilt chains. Plus punishes his excessive shielding or his failed grab attempts/spotdodge mindgames. Ftilt is the ground attack that has the best combination of reach/lag (lots of reach, small lag) of all of Kirby's options for attacking directly ahead. It can combo from lagless aerial landings (nair, bair, fair after all hits) if the opponent is at a low enough %. Dtilt can be a good attack, but tey not to depend on it too much. until recently, I never used to use it, now I use it to space my opponent away from me, on the count that it has less range and less lag than ftilt. It can lead to a trip in your opponent's part, where we can follow up with fsmashes (i never do it) or grabs (I always do it). Save Fsmashes for when your opponent is landing from high up, and for killing (and angle it up by moving the cstick in a diagonal position towards your opponent... Makes it stronger). Dsmashes and usmashes are good, but it'd be better for you to use them in situations where you KNOW they will hit: don't just charge them and hope your opponent flies into them.

Grab game: Grabs are one of kirby's fortés, he has a great hidden range, and low grab speed. Dthrows are your favorite choices, since they do 11-12% (forgot which) and throws them upwards, setting up for any follow-up. Uthrows are great for sending them away from you, and killing if they're at very high %s and you know they'll be shielding all of your attacks. throws and bthrows are all for comboing, try and use them as less as possible BUT DON'T COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THEM FROM YOUR GAME! As with every move, there are times where we'll want to use them for some reason we can't see right now. OH and... Try to pummel all the time, even if you're going for a gran release (the 2nd match, you tried to ftilt the shiek after a grab release, so you stayed still for the longest time).

Don't use upBs from high up, bad idea... Your opponent will see them coming a mile away. If you upB from very high up and aim for ledges, your opponent will probably edgehog you. Keep that in mind! ;)

Dtilt comes out slow in my opinion. When would be the best time to use it. i try to use it after d-airs.
Try dtilting after a single jab, or randomly every once in a while. OH! Jab reminds me... Try doing this every once in a while too: jab>grab. Works more than it should, which is something good.

Thats all I can say for now... Don't know what else to add. Everything else you'll need to know, is gained from experience. Just keep using Kirby only for a couple of months, and learn how far his attacks reach, how long they last, how strong they are... And before you know it, you'll be a badass Kirby player! :D

PS: Kirby doesn't have to be played defensively... But you DO have to start out somehow in order to learn all of Kirby's limits! Once you have his attacks mastered, you can go aggressive as much as you desire! Don't let them breathe or think of anything, just keep chaining attacks! ;)

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
The best time to use D-Tilt is after you do an attack, like Kirby's F-Smash, then do D-Tilt just before you get punished if you miss or they shield it. It won't work well if your opponent perfect shield your attack or if they dodge your F-Smash, the character you face have a fast D-Smash like Peach, Meta Knight, Zelda, etc. You can use D-Tilt after D-Air, just make sure you distance yourself to perform your D-Tilt so you don't get punished.
Hmmm... Hadn't really thought of using it that way. I really only mix it into combos.

Perv[a], I didn't watch the video, but it seems others have adressed this in great detail, so meh.

Allied

Smash Master

very good idea. thank you very much ^_^

also kewkky. i just noticed your response. very lengthy and helpful read. thank you very much. I will make sure to try to put that all into my gameplay. i might not immediately but it'll happen i'm sure :D

i mean you already started the match great
you picked kirby ^_^

so just practice! you will be beating those nasty shieks soon enough

Top Bottom