• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Jigglypuff for Top Tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDC

Smash Lord
You're completely missing the point. The characters didn't play in the grand finals, the players did. Mango and Hbox beat foxes, falcos and sheiks like they are nothing even though the match-ups are against them. Its their player ability to overcome bad match-ups that is winning them tournaments, not the character that they are playing.
True, and perhaps the "matchups" should change? Perhaps the matchup charts and tier lists should be changed with these new developments?

Puff is a good character. Can't a character be good without being in top tier?

Right now we have 4 characters in top tier which is more than melee has had since 03. Now everyone wants to stack the top 5-6 characters into top tier, which definitely isn't representative of the game.

The list before last was

Top:
Fox
Falco

High:
Sheik
Marth
Peach

while i doubt many people would agree with this ordering, i definitely agree that there is a division amongst the potential abilities of the highest 5-6 characters.
Puff isn't just good, not "just a good character" wins the majority of recent major tournaments. She is a great character, definitely not THE best, but one of the best, certainly.

And why couldn't we add a spot at the bottom of top tier? Who cares what the tier list was back in 03? Who cares if it had only two top tier spots? Things change, the game develops. As the metagame continues to develop, we might see things start to somewhat even out slightly, more characters being considered better then what was previously thought.

Why can't we add a spot at the bottom of top tier for a character that has little-to-no bad matchups, low % KOs, perfect recovery, excellent combo potential, and cannot be comboed at all?

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
I'm going to go work out. Then go to a party. I'll retort against everyone when I'm drunk much later tonight.

**** you Sveet! I am not a ****ing troll.

Atlus8

Smash Master
The way smash is played today is so incredibly different from when it was played then. So much more is known today, so many more players play with greater knowledge about the game. It's hell of a lot different between then and now, when people couldn't even DI properly. Now everyone and their grandma knows about DI and how to escape what used to be reliable setups and combos.
Yeah, people know a lot more s#!+ now than before, but it took time! New methods will develop over time and Jiggs won't seem like an unbeatable character!

vZakat

Half Genie
I'm missing the point? How about you ignoring the fact that Mango HAS TO PICK PUFF TO BEAT HBOX. Mango is better than Hbox, and it's the player that matters, not the character, right? So why can't he beat HBox with other characters that are "better" than jiggs? Also, I am not using the 1 Fox match in Pound as the only example. Hbox beat Mango in every MM they had at RoM2 except for the puff ditto, iirc. It's much more dependent on matchups, and jiggs has no terrible matchups. She has a few where she is slightly disadvantaged and that's it. You should be a little more open-minded towards this imo.
I'm pretty sure there was a tourney where mango beat hbox with puff. can't remember which one atm.

SDC

Smash Lord
Marth vs. Puff.
Once again, this is one of the things that has changed. I'm not a marth main, so I can't explain it fully, but I'll try. Any marth/jiggz mains out there, please correct me if I make a mistake.

Marth can try to keep jiggz out, and a good marth can be effective in this, but he can't do this forever, not even M2K is perfect, the puff can duck, dodge, and weave around in the air, find an opening, and punish.
Puff can combo marth, but marth can't really combo jigglypuff.
Puff has reliable KO moves on marth, and can even get a gimp or two, but marth doesn't have too many reliable KO moves on jigglypuff. A good jigglypuff can avoid most of them with smart play and correct spacing. Marth's throw to fsmash does not KO anymore, puffs can DI out of it now. Marth cannot gimp puff. Marth can keep on attacking, and hope to get lucky with a spaced/sweet-spotted smash or Uair/Bair, but for the most part, Jigglypuff has the advantage in the reliable KO department. Not only that, but I believe Jigglypuff can reliably combo marth into a rest (Once again, not completely sure, correct me if I'm wrong).
Jigglypuff has a better recovery, and with good DI she can survive to pretty high %s against marth unless he gets a tipper or a sweetspotted ariel, which won't happen if the puff spaces it correctly.

If I left anything out/made a mistake, somebody correct me, but I believe that's why marth doesn't dominate puff anymore.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I'd like to see Axe and/or a good Zelda player against Jigglypuff.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Imo, the main issue with the puff/marth matchup is that puff can play a very good bait-and-punish game while marth has to get several good reads to get a KO. This is due to puff's superior aerial mobility and the generally high cooldown of marth's moveset compared to jiggs.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
this is my tier list thoughts.

theres 26 chars in melee. therefor the tier list should have 5 tiers each with 5 chars, with the exception of mid which would have 6.
every char in the top tier would have one thing in common. 0-very few bad match ups. the chars that fit this are fox, falco, sheik, marth, and puff.

puffs bad matchups are marth and fox btw.

so TT should look like this.

fox
falco
sheik
marth
puff

im not entirely sure on the order, but it should be similar to this

SDC

Smash Lord
this is my tier list thoughts.

theres 26 chars in melee. therefor the tier list should have 5 tiers each with 5 chars, with the exception of mid which would have 6.
every char in the top tier would have one thing in common. 0-very few bad match ups. the chars that fit this are fox, falco, sheik, marth, and puff.
Interesting idea :)

puffs bad matchups are marth and fox btw.
Not exactly true lol ;).

so TT should look like this.

fox
falco
sheik
marth
puff

im not entirely sure on the order, but it should be similar to this
I Like what I see, although the organization of the characters could be different.

My ideal list:

TOP:
Fox
Sheik
Falco
Marth
Puff

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
True, and perhaps the "matchups" should change? Perhaps the matchup charts and tier lists should be changed with these new developments?
why would the match-ups change? The match-ups didnt become better.... "Winnable" and "favorable" are very different. Marth vs Sheik is winnable, but sheik definitely has the advantage. And guess what, when Ken was #1 in the world he beat sheiks all the time.

Puff isn't just good, not "just a good character" wins the majority of recent major tournaments. She is a great character, definitely not THE best, but one of the best, certainly.
She isn't better than Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, or Peach.

And why couldn't we add a spot at the bottom of top tier? Who cares what the tier list was back in 03? Who cares if it had only two top tier spots? Things change, the game develops. As the metagame continues to develop, we might see things start to somewhat even out slightly, more characters being considered better then what was previously thought.

Why can't we add a spot at the bottom of top tier for a character that has little-to-no bad matchups, low % KOs, perfect recovery, excellent combo potential, and cannot be comboed at all?
because the only people who are arguing for it are people who believe puff is good based on inui logic and watching mango/hbox videos and not actual understanding of her match-ups.

Marth vs. Puff.
Once again, this is one of the things that has changed. I'm not a marth main, so I can't explain it fully, but I'll try. Any marth/jiggz mains out there, please correct me if I make a mistake.

Marth can try to keep jiggz out, and a good marth can be effective in this, but he can't do this forever, not even M2K is perfect, the puff can duck, dodge, and weave around in the air, find an opening, and punish.
Puff can combo marth, but marth can't really combo jigglypuff.
Puff has reliable KO moves on marth, and can even get a gimp or two, but marth doesn't have too many reliable KO moves on jigglypuff. A good jigglypuff can avoid most of them with smart play and correct spacing. Marth's throw to fsmash does not KO anymore, puffs can DI out of it now. Marth cannot gimp puff. Marth can keep on attacking, and hope to get lucky with a spaced/sweet-spotted smash or Uair/Bair, but for the most part, Jigglypuff has the advantage in the reliable KO department. Not only that, but I believe Jigglypuff can reliably combo marth into a rest (Once again, not completely sure, correct me if I'm wrong).
Jigglypuff has a better recovery, and with good DI she can survive to pretty high %s against marth unless he gets a tipper or a sweetspotted ariel, which won't happen if the puff spaces it correctly.

If I left anything out/made a mistake, somebody correct me, but I believe that's why marth doesn't dominate puff anymore.
I'm a marth main.

Marth vs Puff is in marth's favor. Marth has this thing called a sword, and when its in the air it hurts things that it touches. Its longer than every move puff has. Puff can't get inside marth without predicting the player and finding a way to get inside him.

M2K doesn't play marth vs mango because player 1 (mango) knows how to get inside player 2 (m2k)'s defenses. Its not the character match-up, because all the tricks you have to do with puff to get inside marth can be done with any character and is reliant on reading the opponent.

It basically boils down to being able to force marth to hit your shield and hopefully miss-space allowing you to get a fair/bair OoS and then milking the one hit as far as you can.

edit- forgot to address this:

I'm missing the point? How about you ignoring the fact that Mango HAS TO PICK PUFF TO BEAT HBOX. Mango is better than Hbox, and it's the player that matters, not the character, right? So why can't he beat HBox with other characters that are "better" than jiggs? Also, I am not using the 1 Fox match in Pound as the only example. Hbox beat Mango in every MM they had at RoM2 except for the puff ditto, iirc. It's much more dependent on matchups, and jiggs has no terrible matchups. She has a few where she is slightly disadvantaged and that's it. You should be a little more open-minded towards this imo.
Mango had to pick puff to beat hbox? I remember a tournament a little while back that m2k went fox and lost to hbox then mango went fox in gf and beat hbox..... At pound4 GF mango went fox first game and according to the commentary and from what i saw in the game, mango was just messing around and taking the first game very lightly.

Gauthic Von B Schönen

Smash Journeyman
Marth vs Puff is in marth's favor. Marth has this thing called a sword, and when its in the air it hurts things that it touches. Its longer than every move puff has. Puff can't get inside marth without predicting the player and finding a way to get inside him.

Pretty much this.

You don't need to KO/net high damage against Jiggs when you can just lock her out. It's the standard principle behind zoning in any fighting game.

ru5514n

Smash Ace
Well, Puff does deserve to go up, but currently we really don't have a spot for her, because I think it is a stretch to put Puff higher than Peach or Falco. MBR really should make another tier list to keep up with the recent times.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Mango had to pick puff to beat hbox? I remember a tournament a little while back that m2k went fox and lost to hbox then mango went fox in gf and beat hbox..... At pound4 GF mango went fox first game and according to the commentary and from what i saw in the game, mango was just messing around and taking the first game very lightly.
One tourney set doesn't hold much water to all the MM's they had at RoM2 imo. Mango goes puff because it's his best chance of winning against Hbox. It also really looked to me like he was trying with Fox.

Velox

Smash Ace
Mango and HBox know exactly what's going to go down with a Fox/Falco/etc. The players playing HBox and Mango have no idea what Jigglypuff is going to do to them. That's a pretty serious advantage.

Gauthic Von B Schönen

Smash Journeyman
Brett, this isn't a fighting game. We don't zone here, Aoko

You left us.

:(

AND THE IDEA IS STILL THE SAME. Locking people out with fast moves with a lot of range.

Also Aoko is kind of a bad example of zoning. She was low tier for a reason. Warc or Mech-Hisui are much better ones.

Actually, there's an interesting parallel you can draw here between Marth vs. Puff and Aoko vs. Satsuki. Satsuki breaching Aoko's guard = Dead Aoko, but Aoko was so good at keeping Satsuki out that the matchup was still 7-3 in Aoko's favor.

SDC

Smash Lord
why would the match-ups change? The match-ups didnt become better.... "Winnable" and "favorable" are very different. Marth vs Sheik is winnable, but sheik definitely has the advantage. And guess what, when Ken was #1 in the world he beat sheiks all the time.
I agree with you saying that player skill matters: it most certainly does.
There are those that would argue that the matchups HAVE improved, there are many things puff can do against the top tier cast that was not previously known.
And how was what Ken did any different then what Mango/Hbox are now doing today? Partly/mostly because of him and his playstyle that many others picked up on, marth developed into a top tier character (M2K helped as well). Because of Mango and his playstyle and other who will inevitably will pick up on, Puff will probably move up as well, and now puff is being developed further by Hbox, into a Bair-spamming and resting machine.

She isn't better than Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, or Peach.
This is somewhat debatable, especially that last one lol.

because the only people who are arguing for it are people who believe puff is good based on inui logic and watching mango/hbox videos and not actual understanding of her match-ups.
Not true, there are several other Puff mains that I have watched and observed for years, The King, Darc, etc.

M2K doesn't play marth vs mango because player 1 (mango) knows how to get inside player 2 (m2k)'s defenses. Its not the character match-up, because all the tricks you have to do with puff to get inside marth can be done with any character.
The difference here is that jigglypuff has far more arial maneuverability then any other character. It is easier for her to do the same tricks on marth than any other character because of her arial agility, something that most other characters don't have. Not only that, but she can punish better then most of the rest of the cast.

Igcoris

Smash Journeyman
Brett, this isn't a fighting game. We don't zone here, Aoko
i actually play pretty aggressively with aoko, even if i have orbs/heldorbs/236a/b.

not to mention that i watched m2k vs mango play a marth vs puff match. it was like 7 minutes and the match almost went nowhere for a while. the current metagame changed a lot of matchups over times.

i've seen marth/fox camp time and time again. jigglypuff always won it out in the end.

Gauthic Von B Schönen

Smash Journeyman
i actually play pretty aggressively with aoko, even if i have orbs/heldorbs/236a/b.
Yeah, that's the thing, Aoko is very versatile, but she still isn't exactly solid. Most characters can get around the orbs without too much difficulty.

Of course, Orb pressure is ****ing hilarious. i remember Zar complaining about how "i could give you like, a formula for every character to beat Aoko". Except Satsuki.

**** 7-3 matchup.

D:

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
One tourney set doesn't hold much water to all the MM's they had at RoM2 imo. Mango goes puff because it's his best chance of winning against Hbox. It also really looked to me like he was trying with Fox.
The commentators said mango was laughing and joking when he was playing fox.

Also, i know nothing about their MMs from RoM2. How much money were they for? Amount of games? For all we know mango didnt give a **** because they didn't matter very much and he is cocky and doesn't care if he loses $30 to hbox because he knows he will 1) win a few sets if there are multiples and 2) win many other MMs that day and 3) win the tournament

tl;dr tournament set >>>>> random MMs

I agree with you saying that player skill matters: it most certainly does.
There are those that would argue that the matchups HAVE improved, there are many things puff can do against the top tier cast that was not previously known.
Care to tell me what these things are?

And how was what Ken did any different then what Mango/Hbox are now doing today? Partly/mostly because of him and his playstyle that many others picked up on, marth developed into a top tier character (M2K helped as well).
Marth didn't "develop" into a top tier character because of Ken. Marth has been a top tier character since the first tier list and at his lowest was a high tier character when top tier was Fox/Falco only.

Because of Mango and his playstyle and other who will inevitably will pick up on, Puff will probably move up as well, and now puff is being developed further by Hbox, into a Bair-spamming and resting machine.
You mean the stuff king was doing in 06?

Hbox and Mango are only more precise. Yeah, what they do is incredible and very over powering, but its not really stuff that is exclusive to puff. Puff can make a wall of bairs that is nearly impossible to get around, but every character in high and top tier have equivalent methods of getting to the same goal (gain stage control, keep it, take a stock).

This is somewhat debatable, especially that last one lol.
Debatable in the sense that a lot of people think puff is higher, regardless of factual evidence.

Not true, there are several other Puff mains that I have watched and observed for years, The King, Darc, etc.
King and Darc have done as expected of their character based on the tier placing. They have done about as well as falcon mains and peach mains and IC mains, overall.

To copy pasta your argument for any of those characters, all i'd need to do is convince mango to win a tournament with that character and then BAM i have a "solid argument" for why they should be top tier.

The difference here is that jigglypuff has far more arial maneuverability then any other character.
actually that is her weakness, because marth covers the air approach with an impassable sword. The idea is actually to approach on the ground with your shield. Puff can't beat marth's sword with her aerial priority and range because marth has more aerial priority and more range.

It is easier for her to do the same tricks on marth than any other character because of her arial agility, something that most other characters don't have. Not only that, but she can punish better then most of the rest of the cast.
Again, the match-up is about ground mobility and stage control, not air priorty and safety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CSjPMnuZi4
Watch that and tell me what happen every time mango tries to commit at m2k from the air and notice what happens every time he starts shield camping and approaching from the ground.

also, i would much rather get fair/bair'd by puff than shined by either spacie, grabbed by falcon or shiek, or dash attacked by peach. Puff's "combos" are mostly 1 hits that link together by stage control and opponent's mistakes.

SDC

Smash Lord
Mango and HBox know exactly what's going to go down with a Fox/Falco/etc. The players playing HBox and Mango have no idea what Jigglypuff is going to do to them. That's a pretty serious advantage.
You're joking, right? I'm sure every good fox player in the world at least knows about the puff matchup. Puff vs spacie is one of the more common matchups in the game. There are a few spacies I know who say that puff is their weakness, and that they hate playing her, but they atleast know about the matchup, and what they are supposed to be able to do to win.

Also, if they're playing Mango/Hbox, they're in a high level tournament setting where most people are atleast somewhat knowledgeable on most of the more common matchups, your assumption is downright unrealistic.

Pretty much this.

You don't need to KO/net high damage against Jiggs when you can just lock her out. It's the standard principle behind zoning in any fighting game.
AND THE IDEA IS STILL THE SAME. Locking people out with fast moves with a lot of range.

Also Aoko is kind of a bad example of zoning. She was low tier for a reason. Warc or Mech-Hisui are much better ones.

Actually, there's an interesting parallel you can draw here between Marth vs. Puff and Aoko vs. Satsuki. Satsuki breaching Aoko's guard = Dead Aoko, but Aoko was so good at keeping Satsuki out that the matchup was still 7-3 in Aoko's favor.
Good points, excellent points, but here's the deal, this isn't a normal fighting game. There's no health bar, this game isn't based on winning from dealing damage, it's based on winning from KOs. Yes the marth can try to keep her out, yes the marth can rack up the damage, but can he KO her? Only if he gets lucky/the puff gets careless. Marth cannot combo jiggz into a KO.

tl;dr tournament set >>>>> random MMs
Exactly, but, when it came down to it, when the tournament was on the line, when Mango wanted to win, what character did he resort to? In the end, when he truly needs to, he goes puff.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Sveet's just a troll who holds onto completely outdated ideals.

It's not inui logic. It's called observation and analysis BRO.

Gauthic Von B Schönen

Smash Journeyman
zar's orbs are amazing. satsuki's aa grabs are pretty broken, but i don't find the matchup as bad as nero imo.
When Zar still played i would netplay him for like ages. Like, 80 game sets. Fun ****. Anyways, Nero vs. Satsuki is actually 6-4. Mainly because of Ex-Bite shenanigans and Nero being one of the few characters who had trouble dealing with Sat pressure.

Maaaaan now i wanna net/play MBAC.

Also Satsuki AA grab is very punishable on whiff, but it was still one of my favorite tricks. Super low airthrow or other airthrow stuff was usually a better option.

Edit:

i play both Nero and Satsuki. AA is SO FUN.

LLDL

Smash Hero
Speaking as a strictly falco player, i think jiggs should be number ONE on the tier list. Mango and hbox are not gods, but when you get to the level they are at with jiggs, you ***** all other characters, which means that jiggs isn't given the credit it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom