• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Is Hungrybox (Hbox) really that good?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I mean... Having jiggs as my secondary, and not being a very distinguished player as is, I have to say that looking at hungrybox videos, I'm anything but impressed. I mean sure he's good... hell he won ROM2. But seriously, I don't think he's a very outstanding player.

And yeah he has that fancy rest, but aside from that, I stand unimpressed, does anyone else feel this way?

Respectfully,

~P

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Hbox plays defensively aka GAY. No one is impressed by someone who plays gay. It's a very effective and unimpressive style. A LOT of Brawl players play this style and thats why it's no one likes watching brawl.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
lol twist, nicely said. I could never put my finger on WHY hbox vids had no appeal... I guess that makes a lot of sense. And I hate brawl for that reason too... But don't consider this thread over lol! I still wanna hear what everyone else thinks!

GSUB

Smash Lord
IDK don't look at my sig

I can see how you don't like his playstyle, but he OBVIOUSLY is good.
If you're going to watch his videos, learn from them, don't watch "to be impressed." That's what combo videos are.

Watch the way he gets around other characters strategies, and how he gets his hits in.
If you learn that, you can throw in your own playstyle after you get the hit in. Hbox just goes for the effective rather than the fancy.
ex. Jman is to silent wolf as hungrybox is to the king (or mango i guess)

LLDL

Smash Hero
No he's really that good. Players seem alot different in videos that they actually do WHILE THEY'RE PRESSURING YOU!

TheLake

Smash Master
hungrybox is pretty good

he can beat m2k and stuff

and rest like anything

and edgeguard you out of anything

play him

with shiek

lulzzzz

Renth

Smash Hero
hmm...

Winning almost every florida tournament... winning RoM2.... and beating every space animal main

nope he sucks.

strawhats

Smash Master
IDK don't look at my sig

I can see how you don't like his playstyle, but he OBVIOUSLY is good.
If you're going to watch his videos, learn from them, don't watch "to be impressed." That's what combo videos are.

Watch the way he gets around other characters strategies, and how he gets his hits in.
If you learn that, you can throw in your own playstyle after you get the hit in. Hbox just goes for the effective rather than the fancy.
ex. Jman is to silent wolf as hungrybox is to the king (or mango i guess)
Make that hungrybox(efficiency) is to the king( combo happy)

Mango is way more efficienct than HBOX (overall)

I think alot of people hate on Hungrybox and his jiggz because its so gay watching him beat players that you think/know that are better than him by playing gay.

Case in point: M2K was beating everyone save mango, all of a sudden he starts to play hungrybox more (whom he used to beat with regularity) and Juan starts playing gayer and gayer and beats m2k who absolutely hates jiggz-fox matchup.

Same **** with Shiz (after a while he starts losing to Juan) which never really used to happen until recently

I guess Juans playstyle brings on that love to hate attitude ....people will probably never truly accept him a really good player because they think Down B or a back throw gimp, or up tilt rest combo out the *** is what allows him to win.

Its not his fault that no one plays the Jiggz matchup right.

Although I'd like to see just how far Juan would make it if he didnt use all of jiggz gayest moves/strategies/if he didnt use jiggz at all.

Zone

Smash Champion
I say you all man-up. For those of you, who can't appreciate his matches. You obviously don't know what the hell is going on with his mad spacing and patience he has. His pressure is crazy. If you can't appreciate that for what it is and can only get a hard on for watching a bunch of shine wavelands and repeated down-air shine combos, Then don't watch his videos.

Then again I am someone who can watch a whole lunin spectre laser camp match cuz I find those entertaining sometimes as well. Watching his laser spam spacing, it's not as easy as it looks.

Falco (MOP)

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go pick up Falco.
No disrespect HB, I actually do respect your ability, and I can see how it might sound like I might be insulting you. I understand good smash is more than just shine and tilt combos XD. Sorry if I came off as passive or snippy.

~P

`DNS`

Smash Lord
i don't like watching puff vs spacies anymore because i main fox and second falco.. but if you look at it from a puff's perspective.. he's pretty good

Veril

Frame Savant
Hungrybox is awesome. Saying he plays "gay" really is just saying he plays defensively and wins, but in a backhanded way. Show some respect to his fine fine Jiggs. His ability to rest, pressure and spacing are absolutely phenomenal.

If you want to see people playing "gay" watch vbrawl matches. Hungrybox is mad entertaining compared to that.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Yo HungryBox, I'm real happy for you. I'll let you finish, but Mango had one of the best Puffs of all time! One of the best Puffs of all time!

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I mean... Having jiggs as my secondary, and not being a very distinguished player as is, I have to say that looking at hungrybox videos, I'm anything but impressed. I mean sure he's good... hell he won ROM2. But seriously, I don't think he's a very outstanding player.

And yeah he has that fancy rest, but aside from that, I stand unimpressed, does anyone else feel this way?

Respectfully,

~P
I ~could~ be wrong, buuuut judging by your join date, I'm guessing you aren't placing top in your area?

The problem with you watching hbox is that you don't know what you're watching. You're looking and seeing him do something like bair "spam", uthrow>rest @ 60+% (Seriously, hbox, how the HELL do you get away with that?), and you probably think, "I can do that."

What you're not seeing is how well he spaces, how he gets into his opponent's head/pressures them, how he tech-chases/reads his opponents, etc.

When AZ first announced that they were coming to CO, I looked up vids of them on DC++. I saw them doing what I could already do from a technical standpoint, and was sure that CO was going to **** Taj/Forward/whoever came over here from AZ. I even thought that they were worse than us because (get this) I suspected that they slightly sped up their videos, to look better. And these matches were a year old.

Needless to say, Summer Struggle came around, and Taj *****. Wobbles ~almost~ lost to BlueMycon, but that's cuz they'd played before and Wobbles still got the jitters like madd.

ChaosTheory lost to LoVo so bad he claimed his thumb was dislocated mid-match, though.

But I got raaaaaaaaaaped by Taj.

Then Forward was stuck here for a week, and ***** the hell out of anyone not named LoVo (he still beat him, but Rafa was gettin' off, too). During that week, I learned about these elusive "mindgames", tech-reads, and shield pressure/covering all options (cuz that's what Forward does).

I went back and started watching videos, and was astounded at everything I missed before then. Getting ***** by Forward opened my eyes, but I was still kinda blind to what was going on. Things like shield-pushing/poking, xup shield pressure, waveland feints, and doing stupid **** like dodging Sheik's ftilt with Peach's dtilt or usmashing FFers approaches with Peach evaded me until OC3.

I'm still learning a lot of ****. The scope of this game is huuuuuuuge. I see people like hbox pressuring in ways I didn't think to, and going for ballsy-as-hell things like uthrow>rest @ high percents cuz they know they have their opponent scared enough to keep from jumping, and it really impresses me sometimes.

Umm... wow, tangent.

But anyway, it may just be that you aren't seeing what he's doing. If you're a vet/great in your region, then my bad, but I suspect that, since you're a Falco player that joined in 2k8, you're still in the technical phase of learning the game. You're watching combo vids, practicing stuff you see in techskill demonstrations, and are of the attitude of "I can do that", when you don't even know what "that" is. No shame in it. I was stuck in that mindset for a pretty long time. Try to play hbox if you can, and after 10 or so matches, him ****** will start to make sense.

Either that, or every state that's not yours sucks, and you should go OoS and win some ****.

GSUB

Smash Lord
I used to have people jump/shine out of uthrow rest on me a long time ago, when I only full-hopped to rest.
But now I shorthop - > doublejump -> rest or Fullhop -> doublejump -> rest.

It works n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom