• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ack, I keep actually getting 10 frames of landing lag from the peak of SH, 13 happened i dunno when i need to find out

Free fall gave me 33 frames of landing lag though

I think the landing lag is actually getting worse the lower i get to the ground with QD

I got a 4 frame landing lag now, and gotta stop with my double posts sorry again Sharkie

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Had to reupload vid, because it froze at 65%. God I hate uploading vids to youtube.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I can sympathize there San; once tried uploading an HD vid of a Brawl match... after 2 hours it decided to freeze at 97%. I didn't bother trying again.

And don't worry about the double posts Ussi, lol.

Good lord... I can actually see why Kirk may have wanted to simplify QD's landing lag to 13 and 31 frames and leave it at that. I mean now we've got 33, 13, 10, 8, 4, 3 and 2. This is the stupidest move for aerial landing lag in the game, lol.

:034:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Don't forget 1 Sharkie, I think QD actually has some formula with the distance in the air and landing lag for soft landing, i'm getting all sorts of numbers between 1-10

Oh guys :> I just hit 100 hours of playing brawl on my wii

I got a snapshot of the 1 frame landing lag QD height of release

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I don't think any aerial move can have 1 frame IASA. Unless you tested and you're sure it did? Pretty sure AC is 2 frames though, after you tested Bair, and that's the fastest it can be.

Edit: You just hit 100 hours now? Pretty sure I've logged well over 250 hours of WiFi playing time alone, although I'm not with my Wii now to check.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
its a 2 frame IASA, 1 frame of landing lag, frame 2 shield comes up

AC bair, 2 frames of landing lag, frame 3 shield comes up

AC Bair is 2 IASA too, nvm lol

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Okay, lol, just making sure. I have to get to bed now but I'll see about somehow adding this information to Kirk's data thread tomorrow. I don't know how I'm going to explain all the different IASA frame values without sounding incredibly vague though...

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I'll be able to make videos/gifs of all this in the winter break, when i get my dazzle back

2 frame IASA height

EDIT: Can't debug mode replays without screwing it up :x

EDIT2: wow its late, good night all, more testing on the weekend, i got an orgo 2 exam to study for.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e1czpM8rVk

I use many different timings of quickdraw. I mess up the timing slightly a few times, but most of them are canceled. The beginning, I directly compare it to nair and quick draw just on the ground.

I think SH quickdraw is useful for pure movement purposes, with practical applications such as chasing down the opponent after hitting them, or to quickly get to an opponent who is falling to prepare for a tech chase. Even to run away I suppose. It is a fine replacement for dashing if you're planning to dash for an extended period.

In some cases, this can replace QDing to the platform for speed, especially since you can buffer a dash afterwards and grab the edge, and you can decide which direction to short hop before the QD for extra precision.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
lmao i just found that last night and downloaded it imma put it on mah blue ike >=D i don't know why the gold ike texture is on my blue ike right now so imm just switch everything around.. i also liked the nebula ike one =D gonna replace green with that probably

Kirk

Smash Champion
Soup.

From what I remember(and this was like 2 years ago) all I really did was test a few times for the 'hard' and 'soft' landings and made an educated guess based on those of how QD landing worked.

I really didn't spend much time on it lol. Though I wouldn't be surprised if it were variable based on distance/time coming down to the ground.

2 frames iasa sounds right for an 'auto cancel,' which is a normal soft landing for any character. One might also try and see if fast falling makes any difference.

(Don't make me go back and test all this myself! Lol xD )

Or hell, someone brawlbox/psa those shenanigans. You might find some stuff in there.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
The fast-fall testing is a good idea... I probably already know this but just to make sure, can an aerial attack still be auto-canceled if you fast-fall it and would that auto-cancel still have 2 IASA? Or would the IASA frames be equal to a standard hard landing?

Either way, if we can find a height at which QD will auto cancel if you fast-fall it, that would mean the landing lag is definitely related to time (in frames) spent in the air, which would make more sense anyways. If it's related to distance from the ground, then fast-falling it wouldn't matter at any height, and that would make it hard to explain.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
You don't have time to fast fall after QD if you're trying to get the 2frame landing.

You can fast fall and then QD but all you're doing is changing the position where you're starting QD from, once you let go of QD, it's all the same.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Nope, hitting anything leads to having a second of lag

I'm gonna test a bit to see the ideal distance where QD won't hit and land behind them

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah i know, its much better in brawl minus, it instantly cancels into whatever you wnt (plus jab combo does 20%, its beautiful stuff)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
lol, is ike metagame gonna end up being about QD-ing everywhere?
I do this already so no big deal for me. I already use QD for recovery with quite a bit of success.

One thing I should implement more is short hop QD for ground travel. I don't always need platforms.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I liked where this thread was going a few pages back, then you guys started talking about Ike.
Furblocked.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
lol, is ike metagame gonna end up being about QD-ing everywhere?
Better than DQ-ing everywhere

Yeah, Ike's QD is pretty much what got me into Brawl- so much. That and the Ikecopter.

And I've started to like BF a lot more just because of QD shenanigans (after watching a lot of San/Red's vids). If QD could be auto-canceled without going too far out of the way to set it up...Maybe some other stages could be more worthwhile with Ike?

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Light, weren't you the one who liked QD when it wasn't cool?

QD is only good for movement in places where the opponent won't probably reach, and as a decent recovery option if the stage provides enough opportunities with its landscape platforms to safely QD. If we time it right, it'll be harder for them to punish well, + QD is an attack so if they whiff that's a possible free charged QD.

To reiterate, I'm still looking for applicable places to use SH QD, maybe as a rare mixup approach, where we land a medium distance in front of the opponent with the IASA frames, so we can buffer a dash, jump, shield, w/e.

What I have so far:

1. After first 3 jab hits. (or really any strong attack)
At lower percents, jump away from the opponent and QD towards them. Dash attack and dash shield are just as good. It shines at medium and higher percents to rush them down when they are at the edge of the stage or offstage. If they go high, QD onto platforms for instant leverage.

2. Break through opponent's walls. Can hop over bananas, ignore grenades, slide through pikmin, get close on characters trying to run away.

3. ???

1 and 2 seem good enough. There may be more things, like us running away.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
QD will NOT slide through Pikmin. When they are latched to you, there is a chance. Pikmin latch to you in two ways IIRC, on your head or on your feet. On ONE of these, QD will go, but on the other, QD will be stopped as soon as you release the B button. Olimar is probably the one match in which I use QD the least. Just not worth it IMO.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Offstage + QD + Pikmin latched on = lol KO.

Doesn't it slide through Pikmin not doing anything? I mean, if you're charging a QD and Olimar dashes in the same direction you're facing, I'm sure the Pikmin following him won't do a thing except just follow him.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
no epic ike housing?

also, we should start timing people out with this new AC QD for its great ability to run away /lol

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, exclusive Ike main housing somewhere for WHOBO 3 would be pretty epic. Gonna check this new venue, it may change some things but I'll still be going no matter what.

I really don't think I'll start using QD any more often now; I already use it a lot for moving around the stage among other things so, learning that it ACs only justifies the things I've been doing with it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
i'm using it offline, the more options my opponent has to know, the more i can make him think wrong (online will be lol)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Of course I mean after the time period where QD will trigger on pikmin. If you're on pictochat or something there will be a few safe chances to QD to get to the other side faster.

I'll be using QD the same way as I've always had. Movement, rare mixups that have their own niche in specific instances.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I'll probably stay wherever Austin crew stays as far as WHOBO goes. With that being said...I should buy my ticket before the price goes up again.

Top Bottom