• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
70% of the time I grab the ledge after a CG and the other times they fthrow me i'm too high for a foot stool...

if they go for footstool can't we FF then aether back?
im starting to not fthrow people as much offstage, because i'd rather mix up the end of the cg. If all i did was fthrow after CG a good opponent will already have a plan in place. CG>pummel release>to maybe a bair stage spike? footstool? shield aether to regrab? ... or maybe CG>walk off fair

or CG>air release to ??, or for damage CG>bthrow at end of the stage to bair?

Well footstool was just a suggestion, but up-air would surely spell death for us xP.
while i have footstooled killed ppl in bracket, it was very situational and in both cases both my opponents had good uairs or ways of stopping it

on wifi i cant DI out of suicide aethers. IDK about offline yet. However i have footstooled ike. Out of a CG? no, out of bairs yes. I cant really find any good methods or ways to get a footstool off stage yet however i think i'll start trying that out. Im still rly skeptical that i can find a guaranteed method to get a footstool

I kinda doubt getting a fs out of a fthrow is gonna work 100% of the time. Pummel release and air release maybe? if i pummel release ike, he can just aether or do sans trademark ledge hopped uairs. srsly if u guys arent doing ledge hopped uairs if u get in a read ur playing ike horribly wrong. Ive made so many kills off of doing that alone, no buddy expects ike to recover from the long animation of uair. so DO IT

da other thing is, i think while aether is a good anti on-da-ledge camping tool, my big beef with aether is that u kids only get what 5-6 frames at the apex of the special move to grab the ledge, after that YOU FALL VERY FAST. Its not very diffcult to speed hug gimp an ike. If you watched the new vids of xyro vs san, alot of xyros kills were from gimps and san ******* around too much at the ledge. Xyro didnt only just tether gimp san, he ALSO jumped down, waited for the upb then quickly upb himself just as san was rising/falling. Xyro also tether snap gimped san before on SV. I believe ikes upb is more of an eye sore for recovering in that situation more so than anything else. If your gonna **** around at the ledge, have a game plan and accept the consequences if you get ****** over hard. Da ledge is not a safe place for ike against the likes of a good player. ESPECIALLY against DDD. This has happened to other people ive fought before, they wanna ledge camp on a character not really capable of doing it right, they get like a very early 20% death-- dis is prolly one of the big reasons why DDD is a 35-65 for u guys. The CG sets u guys up to be off stage, somewhere where Ike does not do well and DDD/MK excel at.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I don't think DDD is speed hugging the ledge offstage with that air speed without being too close to get aether spiked.

Also retreating bairs don't get grabbed :D

Also nothing wrong with ******* around in friendlies, not like san was losing consisently cause of it either

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I don't think DDD is speed hugging the ledge offstage with that air speed without being too close to get aether spiked.
why would ddd be off stage to speed hug...? speed hug involves being onstage to begin with, then rotating the analog stick in such a fashion that the character drops down and grabs the ledge..that has absolutely nothing to do with DDDs air speed

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
i suppose you're thinking ike is recovering high so tht his sword is spinning above DDD's height. I don't see how you can speed hug when there is a sword spinning near the ledge; i mean those 4-5 frames of spinning in the air are with active hitboxes. or do you mean speed hug when ike jumps to catch his sword? thts the non-active hitbox here. but then you'll have to be standing near the ledge to speed hug (where the spinning sword is going to be).

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
^^^ when ikes recovering from below i believe ddd can successfully do it, any other height and what u described happens. sword would interrupt a attempt to do it obvi cuz of how the hitboxes work. Thus u'd be hard press to interrupt ike during the aether animation as he jumps up to catch the sword

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
i suppose you're thinking ike is recovering high so tht his sword is spinning above DDD's height. I don't see how you can speed hug when there is a sword spinning near the ledge; i mean those 4-5 frames of spinning in the air are with active hitboxes. or do you mean speed hug when ike jumps to catch his sword? thts the non-active hitbox here. but then you'll have to be standing near the ledge to speed hug (where the spinning sword is going to be).
The time it takes to set up a low recovering aether telegraphs the situation enough to give the person time to speed hug in reaction to your throwing aether, and theyre invincible long enough to just stay there until you plummet to your death.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
but then it becomes a mind game of whether ike will grab the ledge or land onstage. if the opponents assumes former, then he'll stand near the ledge and wait for aether, and if he assumes latter then he won't be standing near the ledge cause the sword will be there. Ike can move a bit horizontally so as to read the situation and decide whether to land onstage or grab the ledge (and this input is also done when ike is about to jump for his sword, so its more of a observable game for ike and a mindgame for the opponent).

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Yes but the opponent can't possibly lose anything by attempting the edge-hog. If we're too low or if we space it poorly, it's a stock, and if we land on the stage basically every character has an easy way to punish Aether's landing lag from the ledge. Recovering low with Aether is a win-win situation for an opponent who knows how to edge-guard Aether.

:034:

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
well, at least that's better than losing a stock. ike does hit hard, so getting back onstage and then returning the received damage with something as fast as a jab combo is worth it. I don't think any ledge attack or aerial does anything notably more (if more at all) than 16% damage.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
:grin: but we still like Ike :grin:

Isn't that also a reason we still play him.

nyways, I totally agree with ike having a mediocre recovery, but then its all he has besides a lesser QD, so we'll have to make the most out of it.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
In other news, I got my summer grades, A in online calculus and A in Orgo chem, BOOYA!

I play Ike cause i love his playstyle.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
In more other news, SCREW YOU. There's no way I'm getting anything higher than a C (and I'm HOPING for that) in early music history. This class + my prof = BALLS.

At least I got an A in astronomy.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
One of my classes got canceled for the upcoming semester. Now I'm stuck trying to pick one of those crappy classes left that nobody wants -_-.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
So i'm taking Orgo Chem 2, General Physics 1, and Calc 2 so far in the fall, i need one more class :x.. sadly bio 2 is full :(

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
My next semester is pretty stacked =/

I hope I do well in my linear algebra, waves and oscillations & quantum mechanics, and functional programming and networks.

All my classes, every single one, I do great on 1-2 tests, then crappy on JUST 1 each time =(

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I have Chem, Chem Lab, Bio, Bio Lab (which I didn't even book, but it comes with the course, lucky me. -_-), English Composition 2, and Algebra this coming semester. Which starts 1 day after I get back from vacation. But I have nothing on Fridays! :D

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
My college just doesn't like having classes on Friday. Maybe 10% of the courses have a Friday option, in which case that's the only day of the week you have that class.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
What exactly is a pen knife, or do I want to know? O.o

On that whole Stark quitting Brawl thing... he's on WiFi playing with someone right now. He didn't last very long at all, lmao.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Back from Pennsylvania. Dorney Park & Wild Water Kingdom was fun. I barely went on any of the rated 5 rides there (Only one was Hangtime). I did get a kick from my little bro going on Demon Drop. He cried and I got to hug him without him punching/kicking me. As for Wild Water, the lazy river they had wasn't very good. You needed a tube and you had to stay on it, you couldn't just swim. I think something was wrong with the wave pool, because those on off waves didn't seem like 10 minutes.

Anyways, Stark looks like a pretty good Ike, but then again, those were "Best Moments". lol @ him still playing. If I were to go away for college, I waould bring my Wii. My bros can have the 360.

Gah, you guys talking about college. I've got one more year left of High School, and I still have no idea on where I want to go. All I have are Stonybrook, MIT, and RIT. Probably gonna try applying for Ivy Leagues, and maybe Boston College since my best friend is gonna apply there.
Wish I could go to Apex as my first official Brawl tourney, but I waon't be making it due to several conflicts. maybe Sunday, but I never applied for it at all, so I have no idea if I'm even allowed to go.

EDIT: aww, I missed Mr. Doom's birthday. Happy belated birthday! My present was going to be me saying you lost the game, but it's too late. Unless you still want it.

/wall of text (I think this may be one of the longest posts I have here in these forums, or in both forums I go to)

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
Thanks guys for the best wishes.

I looked up pen knife just a few minutes ago. Now I know what Niddo's talking about.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Gah, you guys talking about college. I've got one more year left of High School, and I still have no idea on where I want to go. All I have are Stonybrook, MIT, and RIT. Probably gonna try applying for Ivy Leagues, and maybe Boston College since my best friend is gonna apply there.
Wish I could go to Apex as my first official Brawl tourney, but I waon't be making it due to several conflicts. maybe Sunday, but I never applied for it at all, so I have no idea if I'm even allowed to go.
Go to RIT or Cornell so I can come visit! =)

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Whoa I missed your B-Day too while I was working. Happy B-Day!

For my present, I'll get off my lazy *** and find some way to get Doom 2 and try your modded levels. I've wanted to... but my *** has just been so lazy.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I pissed off Niddo and he gave me an annoying lecture on how this country is corrupt and Canada is a true escape from reality.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Sorry I missed your birthday. Mr Doom.

I really want to type M.D. Doom so much of the time.

Anyway. Jam. I suggest applying to more than just Ivy League, bro. Some of those schools basically require you to know the dean to get in. I'm not at all saying you can't get in. I'm just saying you need some more options.

(I only applied to one university, but that's because I was pretty much guaranteed accepted.)

Top Bottom