• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Ike Boards Bi-Weeklies Thread ~ Come in and discuss ideas! ~

Would you like to see the bi-weeklies start up again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
Looks like RedX and I are not destined to meet in these biweeklies as I am soon to vanish for a period of a few months.

Maybe when (if?) I return.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Shut up, Light, you'll be back and you know it.

ROFL, Red. That's what I did to my USB mouse the other day. Thought it ran out of battery-- then realized it wasn't that-- then thought it just stopped working. I was in queue for a game of League of Legends, so I got annoyed and tried smacking it against the table a few times... and it worked.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
apparently ike mains have the ability to fix things with their fist, ****, his jab is even better than we imagines
*jab*
bike starts working again
did this the other day to XD

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I've been jabbing the space bar key (to rewind the snes emulator) for a while. Super Mario Kart - Pro Edition is a b****.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ship sails off at 4pm if no delays. Still on the road to get there but in SC where the port is. I have nothing better to do on my phone than to check on smashboards..

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Ship sails off at 4pm if no delays. Still on the road to get there but in SC where the port is. I have nothing better to do on my phone than to check on smashboards..

this is the part where you become concerned about your life and the fact that the number one thing to do is go on smashboards XD
by the way, our item fixing jab is temporary, my bike broke again

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Alright, sign-ups and confirmations for next weekend's event are now beginning! The tournament will be next Sunday at 3:00 pm EST and sign-ups will run from now until Wednesday at midnight PST (3:00 am Thursday morning in EST).

Remember, even if you've signed up already for a past event, make sure to post here confirming you can make it for next weekend. All new sign-ups are welcome!

:034:

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I'm running a tournament this weekend, so I don't know if I'll be able to attend this go-around. I'll try my best to attend, anyway.

Oh yeah, I'm gonna john a lot about the wifi lag, so be prepared.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Since I finally got a new Wii and had a couple of friendlies and connection is pretty good. Sign me up.

FC: 5199-6534-3094 (for those lazy to look under my avatar.)
Want me to just refer to you as Jam for this? Or use the whole thing? Or something else entirely, lol.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i should be there, though am on a journey back from wales so if i do get back, im guaranteed to be sleepy as ****

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Cool, good stuff guys. By the way, Green Greens is a legal CP for this one Niddo. Otherwise I'm leaving it as it is for now though, it's just Ike dittos so I'm not using only stages from the MLG ruleset, or all of them.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
¿what now,then?
Nice, inverse question mark.

I've signed you up, the tournament isn't until next Sunday at 3:00 pm EST; I'll be sending out a reminder PM to everyone who has signed-up and confirmed they can make it, so you don't have to worry about forgetting (try to remember anyway though, lol).

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Just refer to me as jam (either all lowercase or capitals). Also, someone will have to teach me how to stage strike and stuff unless there is a tournament thread you can link me to that has all the procedures and everything else, I've never been to an actual tourney with such rules.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just refer to me as jam (either all lowercase or capitals). Also, someone will have to teach me how to stage strike and stuff unless there is a tournament thread you can link me to that has all the procedures and everything else, I've never been to an actual tourney with such rules.
It's pretty simple really. Basically each person 'strikes' two of the starter stages that are listed (the five starter stages and all of the counterpick stages are listed in my OP), so that only one starter stage remains, and that is the one you play on for the first match of the set.

Whoever wins the first match can choose to ban any stage, starter or counterpick, and then the loser of that match gets to pick from all the starter and counterpick stages except the one that the winner banned. I'll do a little example scenario:

If I was fighting you (this is theoretical):

The starters are Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, and Pokemon Stadium 1.

I strike Final Destination
You strike Yoshi's Island
I strike Smashville
You strike Battlefield

So we play our first match on Pokemon Stadium 1.

If I win, I choose to ban Final Destination.

You can then choose what stage we play on next out of all the starter and counterpick stages listed, except you cannot choose Final Destination. If the loser of the first match wins the second match, the same applies to them; they can choose to ban a stage and the other player gets to pick the third and final stage for the set.

Let me know if you want me to clarify anything.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Don't forget, you can't go back to a stage you won at. So say you beat New York Shark on FD first match, and he beat you second match, you can't take him back to FD.

Edit: New York Shark, I'm too lazy to read anything before this. What rule set are we using? MLG?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Edit: New York Shark, I'm too lazy to read anything before this. What rule set are we using? MLG?
Pretty standard rules, not MLG. So for example you can pick any stage as long as both players agree, etc... otherwise just 3 stocks, 8 minutes, 2/3 sets, for a tie you play one 3 stock match. Not sure what to call this ruleset really, just SBR ruleset I guess? With different stages of course.

Not sure if I can come this time, but I'll try.
Okay, I'll put you down as a maybe and send you a reminder PM just in case.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Cristina is just up there cause of the non-stop talk about FE. God that was annoying.

Why aren't we doing MLG rules? Almost every region does that now except for East Coast I think.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Psshh, we're not a region, we're the Ike boards. This is an online tourney too, and MLG are all offline events, which means many more rules and weird regulations. Besides, what exactly are the differences besides stage list? Pretty sure they still use the same stocks/timer/sets/striking/banning system. That's really all you need for an online dittos-only tourney, lol.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
First of all, I recall a lot of us wanting MLG rules next time around, and I'm guessing you just missed that whole portion of this thread when we talked about it.

And wow Nys, that was such an ignorant comment you just made. A difference in stage list is HUGE. Ask anyone here, and they will tell that their Ike isn't as good at one stage in comparison to another Ike. I wreck Ussi on Delfino all the time, but he wrecks me right back on Norfair. Striking system is different as well. According to seeding/rank, the higher will strike 3 of the possible 9 stages, then the other player strikes 4 stages, and the first player finishes it off by striking the last stage available. Have you even checked out the starter list for MLG? It includes stages like Halberd, Delfino, Lylat, and Castle Siege.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
TBH I never checked the MLG ruleset because I don't plan on going to any, and my local scene doesn't use it. I was legitimately asking you what the differences were, lol.

I'm completely fine with 9 starters, that's what my local scene uses; I was just under the impression it would be a little confusing for some players, and since we're doing round-robins I'd like to have sets go as fast as possible. Not saying an extra 2 stages each to strike would add a lot of time, but if one player had to explain to the other about striking or what stages are starters, it would take a lot longer to list off 9 stages than to say FD, BF, SV, YI, PS1.

If you guys really do want 9 starters I can definitely do that, because I have been an activist for the 9 starter system since our scene here started doing it. And I know stages make a difference, that's why I'm trying to include as many stages as possible and basing the stage list for this off of your guys' opinions. I took off Pirate Ship, added Pictochat and added PS2 due to popular demand here. I added Green Greens for Niddo and because it's legal in MLG. I'm not going to remove stages that are banned at MLG though. If they've been proven viable stages and some people who are participating in the bi-weeklies want them to stay, they stay. If you don't like a stage on the list, ban it.

Anyways, I'll wait for a few more people to post their opinions on this.

Who all is for a 9 stage starter system?

It would probably consist of FD, SV, BF, YI, PS1, Lylat, Halberd, Frigate and Castle Seige. Delfino is not a good starter stage IMO, although it doesn't really matter much for dittos, so if enough people object to Frigate, I'll switch it for Delfino. Really though, Frigate is a better starter than both Castle Siege and Delfino IMO. The whole seeding/rank striking thing is a little too complicated and unnecessary for something as simple as these tourneys, so I don't think we need that.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Objecting to Frigate.

BTW striking is different too. First person strikes 3, then second person strikes 4, then first person strikes 1 and that leaves the last stage to be played.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Objecting to Frigate.

BTW striking is different too. First person strikes 3, then second person strikes 4, then first person strikes 1 and that leaves the last stage to be played.
With the five stage system I always just strike 2 stages and tell the other player to pick from the remaining ones. I don't want to complicate the rules too much, this isn't a major offline event, it's a bi-weekly tournament for Ike mains to have fun and get ranked based on their performance. If some of you want to use that method and explain to your opponent how it works, that's fine by me, but I'm not conforming to all the MLG rules. MLG tournaments can have their rules, we will have ours.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Here's my reasons for using MLG rule system.

1. If people don't know the rules, go read about them on SWF. It's not hard to get. If it's your first time, you'll get it after someone explains it to you. I didn't know how it worked at Phase, and understood it immediately after the first match.

2. I'm not for MLG rules, because it's in all the tournaments in my region. The true reason is because MLG is now considered the biggest event for Brawl. People actually travel to this event, the prize money is the best around, you can get sponsored, there's constant hype, all of AiB and SWF are paying attention to it, it's THAT big.

3. Let's be honest, this new stage set doesn't exactly benefit Ike, but it hurts us more. Characters like MK and G&W can be used more effectively now, which also means we have to learn how to use these stages. Yea the Ike ditto tourny won't teach us to watch out for this and that from G&W, but we ourselves can gain knowledge on what we can do and what to expect from the stage. It's one thing to know that Green Greens has a tree that blows air to push you, but it's another to experience it.

Your area might not be using MLG, and the same might go with other areas, but denying practice for the biggest and most popular event around is just stupid.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Your area might not be using MLG, and the same might go with other areas, but denying practice for the biggest and most popular event around is just stupid.
I'd hardly say I'm denying practice...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271261

According to the MLG ruleset, seen in that thread ^^^ the following rules do not apply to online or are otherwise useless due to the fact that we are playing only dittos:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 11 (again, must be a typo in that thread), 16, 18, 19 and 20.

Rule 6, the game freezing rule, is iffy online because you can't really prove the game didn't just freeze due to lag of some kind. So technically that doesn't apply either.

Rule 13 can be implemented but is overly competitive and completely useless for an online bi-weekly round robin tournament that is mostly being done for enjoyment and to help newer members improve. Striking in whatever order suits the players best will work just fine and make little difference in the outcome anyways.

Rule 15 is a standard counter-picking rule and already applies here.

Rule 17 is already used (win by stocks then percents), and I can change the tie-breaker to the 4 minute, 1 stock method. I have no problem with that and it would conserve time, although the chances of a tie in both stocks and percents last match are so slim it really doesn't matter.

As for stages, all MLG legal stages are already on the stage list here, and I'm now holding a vote to have 9 starters like they do, which I'm sure will pass. Having a few additional stages that are legal in other events/parts of the world (we aren't just hosting for American Ike mains here), can't possibly hurt, and if people want to practice the MLG stages, they can just choose them and ban the non-MLG ones.

What exactly do you define as 'denying practice' anyways? :ohwell:

Also, anyone who knows what my new avatar and title are from get cookies.

Top Bottom