• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Ike Boards Bi-Weeklies Thread ~ Come in and discuss ideas! ~

Would you like to see the bi-weeklies start up again?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

theeboredone

Smash Legend
So I've been thinking about possibly expanding this next season or in the near future. We could have a bi-weekly segment where we pit ourselves against another board's characters. It can help us in learning that specific MU, and can become a bit more different than the usual Ike ditto. So possibly along the lines of having a season where we play DDD's twice in one month, and then go to Yoshis, Olimars, etc. Of course, I don't think there will be any kinda playoffs, and if we did, it would be kinda complicated. Maybe just have our own Ike ditto tourny based on who did the best against the rest of the brawl roster.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well if we wanted to do this, we got 38 characters to play, 52 weeks, so we could do it like, three in four weeks we try and play a different board. or we could jsut organise random times to play a different board, i think its safe to say we are one of the most organised boards here, behind the link boards anyway

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
So I've been thinking about possibly expanding this next season or in the near future. We could have a bi-weekly segment where we pit ourselves against another board's characters.
That's a great idea assuming many of the character boards would be willing to go for it. I'm not sure how well some boards would take to a WiFi round-robin event. But yah we'll wait for next season at least, and maybe I'll talk with the discussion leaders/moderators of the other character boards in the meantime and see if I can get an idea of which boards would be more likely to want to take part in it.

It wouldn't be too complicated, because basically every Ike present would face every DDD or every Olimar, etc... and so I would add up the wins/losses like normal except they would be against other players instead of each other. The only issue is that it could lead to quite a few ties for spots... for example, more than one Ike main could potentially beat all the other players.

The only thing I'm not looking forward to would be recording stats for the other characters as well. I just don't think it would seem like enough of a competitive atmosphere for the other characters if I wasn't recording their stats as well... so that could add quite a bit of work for me, but it would be fun so I wouldn't mind too much. I would have to just keep track of everyone's total set and match wins/losses in the OP though... no individual player MUs, it just wouldn't fit.

If anyone has any more thoughts on that, we can discuss this for a bit to try and work out the kinks beforehand.

:034:

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Lol, you will have to choose whose side you are really on: Ike or Pikachu.

DECIDE!

No pressure.

No homo.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
how will i verse myself if we go against the Pika boards D:...
go pika so niddo can paly you at some point, he needs to be given a win at some point
although to be quite frank, im contemplating changing to ganon as a main, i just seem to do so much better with him, its guaranteed this will change next time i enter a tourney.
but still, its almsot worrying XD

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
A win?

Ussi's pika would slaughter me. I'm used to playing against a local pika who doesn't mix up his game. I've never played against K Prime, even though I live in the same city, so I really don't know pika well.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
GP you underestimate my Pikachu... Ike isn't my only proficient character
it was a reference to niddo's only set win in the bi-weeklies XD
i don't doubt that you would probably beat most of us with your pikachu

IkeFiend

Smash Ace
Wait what's going on? (Breaktime at my Game Development class. And I found out that it's actually 3 weeks long... Ughh! )

theeboredone

Smash Legend
@ Nys, yea I figure the work would be overload in keeping the records and PR intact, so this is what I had in mind.

1. Have multiple record keepers. 2 for each side. So assuming we're playing DDD, we'd have you and Brett keep tabs on the Ikes, and they can keep tabs on the DDDs. I don't think anyone here is prone to lying or some bs like that. They can do whatever they want with their records (create their own PR or toss them away).

2. Our PRs can consist of only Ike and how they did against their opponents. You're right in regards to that there will be tie breakers and such, but that's what the PR is for and we can break it down on who deserves what spot.

3. Obviously there are a lot of characters in Brawl, so we can start out focusing on the big ones we are most likely to see in tourny. So this would consist of MK, DDD, Snake, Diddy, etc. Assuming one season is 3 months, and we do one character per bi-weekly, we'll get through 6 per season. Then we can cap it off with a Ike ditto tourny or just end the season there.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
mk....wifi....offline
does it really make a difference? the only thing that ill change is that it will alg whiel he dair's you to death

theeboredone

Smash Legend
mk....wifi....offline
does it really make a difference? the only thing that ill change is that it will alg whiel he dair's you to death
D-smash, D-smash, D-smash, and oh, did I forget about D-smash?

We don't have to play MK, I was just listing the most commonly used characters in tournies. The decision would come through a vote, and that's how we would go about things.

Also, to everyone else who participated in the bi-weeklies, I feel like a lot of you guys have a lot of potential, and all it takes is to ask us what you need to do to improve your game. I'm not gonna list any names, but a lot of you need to learn how to gimp Ike's aether. A lot of times I was recovering freely without worrying about getting smacked. So feel free to ask us here, or in that Dairy Queen thread about how you should improve yourselves. I don't even mind doing some friendlies with some of you guys to give you some pointers.

Heartstring

Smash Legend

We don't have to play MK, I was just listing the most commonly used characters in tournies. The decision would come through a vote, and that's how we would go about things.

Also, to everyone else who participated in the bi-weeklies, I feel like a lot of you guys have a lot of potential, and all it takes is to ask us what you need to do to improve your game. I'm not gonna list any names, but a lot of you need to learn how to gimp Ike's aether. A lot of times I was recovering freely without worrying about getting smacked. So feel free to ask us here, or in that Dairy Queen thread about how you should improve yourselves. I don't even mind doing some friendlies with some of you guys to give you some pointers.
i dont think you remembered to mention d-smash XP

and yeah i know i cant gimp aether, to be perfectly honest (and yeah, this is an excuse i suppose) im crap at dittos and there are no otehr ikes in the uk, so its one of the things i have to worry about less

XxHollowCorexX

Smash Apprentice
I have to admit guys, this was really fun to be a part of.
Can't wait for next bi-weekly.
GGs to all those I've played. <3

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
@Bored, seems like that would work. The Ike ditto tourney in the end should include everyone and be a double-elimination bracket tourney though, instead of just including the top 8. For this season we'll still do the top 8 double-elimination tourney but I think if we're going to be fighting other characters each bi-weekly, I wouldn't want anyone to miss out on the big Ike event at the end.

This definitely sounds like it would work so far. We should decide when we want to start doing this and what character we want to face first though. I'm not entirely against cutting this season short, since the summer would be the best time to start this routine. If we play out the rest of this season in Ike dittos, that'll be about 4 or 5 more bi-weeklies. I think getting some MU experience against some of the better characters now would be a good idea with all the big tourneys coming up.

Thoughts?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I believe we could cut this season short. I mean, how many more times are we gonna keep doing Ike dittos? Granted some people are just joining, but I figure we can go for 2 more, before we do the top 8 tourny. I just can't envision the luster of this lasting if we keep doing Ike dittos for 2 more months.

In any case, I want everyone's input on this. Not just the usual suspect. I think it's safe to say our first goal is to have fun, and the second goal would be to improve our skills. So, Hollow, Cristina, GP, Max, Foodies, etc. I want all of your opinions. It would be much appreciated.

Nys, I can help you represent our boards when talking to other character boards if you want.

-RedX-

Smash Lord
Yea, I dunno if constant Ike dittos for another 2 months or so will keep this alive. lol
So maybe 1-2 bi-weeklies of Ike dittos would be ok for this season, and I actually want to play other character boards soon. I'm curious of the skill levels here.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Nys, I can help you represent our boards when talking to other character boards if you want.
That would be great, and actually what I was thinking is that you could make a post in their social or general discussion thread while I PM the moderator or discussion leader that is most active in the boards, to see if I can get them to help rally their troops. Between the two fronts we could probably get some nice support.

The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not enough of the players from each board would be willing to do a WiFi tournament... mostly the better players, since usually the more prestigious a player is offline, the less likely they will agree to play WiFi (obviously there are exceptions). If we want to get good MU experience for all of us out of this, we'd need at least a few of the top players for each character board to participate.

I think one more all Ike bi-weekly would be sufficient, that would make it four total. Two more all Ike bi-weeklies would be the maximum I think. And yah we'll wait for some more input on this from everyone who will want to participate.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
What Niddo needs to improve on: Spacing, Recovering, DI, Edge Guarding, Punishing, Jab Cancels, DI, Not mixing up tilts and smashes (why else do you think he ends up with so many Fsmashes?), not repeating moves several times over when the first one misses, DI, did I mention DI yet? He's really, really terrible at that. Momentum canceling...

But ya, I wouldn't mind going against other characters...as long as it's not freaking MK. And we avoid any board with A2 lurking there. Try to pick boards that aren't filled with a bunch of pricks will ya?

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
What Niddo needs to improve on: Spacing, Recovering, DI, Edge Guarding, Punishing, Jab Cancels, DI, Not mixing up tilts and smashes (why else do you think he ends up with so many Fsmashes?), not repeating moves several times over when the first one misses, DI, did I mention DI yet? He's really, really terrible at that. Momentum canceling...

But ya, I wouldn't mind going against other characters...as long as it's not freaking MK. And we avoid any board with A2 lurking there. Try to pick boards that aren't filled with a bunch of pricks will ya?
I would like the idea of getting the opportunity to play other players. It would give me a better idea of how to play other characters, even though it's wifi, and also how other people play other characters. I say we at least attempt it :bee:

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Why make it something so official?
I think it would work best as just a friendly gathering where not everyone has to play everyone and scores don't have to be kept and we don't have to be so serious. Just make a friendly event-- I can't even see how this could be something super organized and what its goal would be--- like... board vs board win% or something?

tl;dr-- Why so serious?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I think it would work best as just a friendly gathering where not everyone has to play everyone and scores don't have to be kept and we don't have to be so serious. Just make a friendly event-- I can't even see how this could be something super organized and what its goal would be--- like... board vs board win% or something?

tl;dr-- Why so serious?
People don't care about friendly events, they want tourny. Something that has meaning.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I think we aren't gonna compare boards we are just gonna compare how each individual Ike main handled a certain MU to each other

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman

tl;dr-- Why so serious?
I can agree with that. It would require a lot of work to just play and do the ranking stuff. But having a tourney would be better I think

I would love to play you any time I get the chance, I have only played you once and that was the first week. I'm also horrible at ditto's, except when i play Wolf, idk why (shrug)

This goes for anyone. I always make a match every night for one on ones on WiFi, so anyone is welcome. If anyone wants to play now, They are more then welcome to

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I think we aren't gonna compare boards we are just gonna compare how each individual Ike main handled a certain MU to each other
^^^ This.

We'll be doing a PR list of our Ike mains, based on their wins against the players of the other characters. The other boards can keep track of their wins and losses and perhaps this could even start a trend where many of the character boards do this with each other and all keep stats and PRs (probably won't happen but it's possible).

Also what Bored said. If we made it a friendly WiFi event, top players of the boards would be very likely not to come. We don't want only the top players to show up obviously, everyone is welcome to, but the idea here is to get MU experience against a variety of different characters. People here like competition, otherwise they really wouldn't be active on Smashboards.

It's not like... 100% serious life-or-death every-man-for-himself, it's still a round-robin and it's still WiFi, but we want it to be as serious as we can make it to entice people to participate.

Edit: @ Iofsauron, it would only make life easier for me, and I'm willing to keep stats if we do this. Besides it wouldn't really be that complicated; not too much more than it is the way we're doing it now.

Iofsauron

Smash Journeyman
^^^ This.

We'll be doing a PR list of our Ike mains, based on their wins against the players of the other characters. The other boards can keep track of their wins and losses and perhaps this could even start a trend where many of the character boards do this with each other and all keep stats and PRs (probably won't happen but it's possible).

Also what Bored said. If we made it a friendly WiFi event, top players of the boards would be very likely not to come. We don't want only the top players to show up obviously, everyone is welcome to, but the idea here is to get MU experience against a variety of different characters. People here like competition, otherwise they really wouldn't be active on Smashboards.

It's not like... 100% serious life-or-death every-man-for-himself, it's still a round-robin and it's still WiFi, but we want it to be as serious as we can make it to entice people to participate.

Edit: @ Iofsauron, it would only make life easier for me, and I'm willing to keep stats if we do this. Besides it wouldn't really be that complicated; not too much more than it is the way we're doing it now.

That is true I guess. I can agree with this

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Going against other boards? Cool! Hopefully I can get a friend of mine back into these forums before we go up against the Ganon boards. I also can't wait to max out the Friends list.

I also want to know how good I did in the bi-weekly we just had. I hope I can improve on what I need to before the next one, and especially when we get to go against the other boards.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
I also want to know how good I did in the bi-weekly we just had. I hope I can improve on what I need to before the next one, and especially when we get to go against the other boards.
You did pretty well; you can check your stats by going to the second post down from the OP of the thread and clicking on 'Show' next to your name. It will list your overall set wins/losses and match wins/losses as well as your individual sets vs each other player.

Watkins

Smash Journeyman
Looking forward to trying to get into some of these tournaments when I get back to Maine and can play wifi again. You guys start these tournaments when I have to leave and at this rate you may end them when I get back lolol

Foodies

Smash Journeyman
Tourney was fun, as always. I think I improved a bit :) So...how do you gimp Aether? Fair/Bair if they go high, ftilt/dash attack if they are low? (and edgehog if they are going too low) Thats what I try, but I usually end up missing. I'm guessing I just need more practice.

Also, I think facing all the other character boards would be fun and good for MU experience. Don't ask the Marth boards though, they hate wifi. xD

Mr. Doom

Smash Hero
NNID
MrDoom8000
I usually don't gimp Ike's recovery unless my opponent gimps mine first, or if I'm in a bad mood.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
yeah, i reckon if we get to paly other boards to paly i personally think that we can jsut start on whoever, for example we seem to have a fair few marths mains/users on this boards so we could perhaps organise playing with them first, i get on real good with the r.o.b boards so we could paly them at some point this year. just friendlies everywhere
it will at least help to lift the veil from the 'grumpy, unfunny people' stereotype everyone seems to have of the ike boards

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I would love to play you any time I get the chance, I have only played you once and that was the first week. I'm also horrible at ditto's, except when i play Wolf, idk why (shrug)

This goes for anyone. I always make a match every night for one on ones on WiFi, so anyone is welcome. If anyone wants to play now, They are more then welcome to
I'm down. Just shoot me a PM or ask me on AIM.

Top Bottom