• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

swordgard

Smash Hero
It's not in our favor because of little "things" you've found. It's in our favor because IC's at highest level beats ROB.

Being above ROB is kinda gay, but just airdodge and maneuver smartly to get away. On the ground you can just stay a bit outside his range and see what he does.

No i mean that im improving and that im starting to agree with you and checking my own matches i can see i have nothing to blame but my own lack of training for not beating robs.

Also, what i said is i think its EVEN because of the things i found going FOR rob. Because if your talking about your match vs holy as being somewhere atop the rob metagame, holy doesnt know how to gimp nana effectivly yet. Im working with him on that lol.

EDIT: Somehow i completely fail at capitalizing words for emphasis, FML.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Idkkkk.... really spammy robs can be a bother. And robs are good at killing seperated nanas. Fair spam ***** a returning nana.. And down smash can seperate the climbers pretty easy. I am soo confused on these match-ups honestly... A lot of them seem to have no rhyme or reason. Like pikachu wins? But why? If everyones trying to prove how robs down smash is useless, pikachus slower laggier one should be considered even more useless. Rob has better aerials then pika!!! They can both spam and return from anywhere. Ledge camping works for em bothh. They both can **** a returning nana. And personally I think rob can do it better. He can fly around and fair and spike nanas. Plus robs range is better then pikachus. His range is close to marths(before you argue it has been tested, check his tilts and downsmash against a marth foward smash if you wanna test it). Pikachus range is trashh!!! So why does pikachu win against the ICs and rob lose?!?! Can someone explain this to me? It seems like bull. I know lain beat the top players of both characters. And idk, people seemed to think it looked harder against anther then ninjalink. But maybe ts cause anther was just more of a spammer?! Rob could spam just as well. Gyro is a beast. And laser recharges quickly! Are we judging it on two dif players or character limitations. Pikachu and rob play very similar. Not exact. But everyone can see the similarities. My question is why do we lose to pika and win to rob? I feel the same about marth, G&w, and MK. Those 3 match-up should be more similar to each other, but the numbers seem all over the place (mk is even but g&w is **** and marth is eh he kinda beats us... i don't get it). Alot of my thinking goes like this. The ICs can infinite every character... no ifs, ands, or butts about it. Take that as a given. I dont care if you can do it or not... the character can!!! Who can we guarentee grabs on, we win those match-ups. The easier, the higher the percent we win by. Who can escape being grabbed forever, we lose those matches (for the most part at least). Don't worry i understand that other things have to be taken into account as well. But our chain grabs are our best, strongest, and almost broken thing. It is what makes everyone fear the ICs. Often characters with disjointed hitboxes, good range, good aerial games, good comboability and good spam beat ICs. Its those who rely on ground games that have little that can stop us. Air game can just be controlled better, spaced better, easier to combo, and auto cancelled. Ground game has unavoidable lag and limited spacing, due to a characters inability to retreat. Take this into account. If they fight on the ground and are a ground opponent, aside from snake, there lag and/or power is bad enough to be punished, no matter who they are. Its the air fighters with turtles and swords that we should be wary of. An MK played perfectly can kick the ICs butts, no matter what that match up says. Same for marths and GWs. But Pikachus and robs, their good stuff is on the ground and their dead. Same goes for olimar! And who ever is writing a post just think about what I said before you decide who should win the match. I agree with lain that rob loses. Theoretically, he can't avoid the grab. He doesn't have enough. But I disagree with alot of the past judgements. I ask you lain, why does pika win and rob lose? Do you not see the similarities? r u biased cause u versed anther? Honestly? I dont see it. Pika and rob are on the same side of the winning or losing fence. And I hope most of you people listen to me, even though I am no big name, b/c I am rite about what I am saying in terms of this. And I reiterate, our matchups are all over the place on this forum. And I believe they are generally based on foolish opinions and biased matches. Why is marth and g&w match-ups harder than MK ones. Theoretically they have similar tools. Perhaps its just everyone verses a million MKS at their tournaments and they begin to seem easy. Hell, alot of scrubs play him, they even flock to him (even bad MKs can do ok at a local tourney). And all his little beginner tricks and nado spam are useless against the climbers if he is gonna space badly or lag after. The grabs are just freebies then. Its much rarer to find a G&w or a Marth(especially) at a tournament (even a bad one). I know lain beat M2K. But meep beat Neo. Just cause they win, it doesn't mean the match-up is all of the sudden in our favor. Once MKs get used to us, they should be back in the advantage (they have the tools to be). And thats what match-ups are about, what character has the "tools" to win. Also, it is my understanding, that later M2K came back and beat lain (maybe he just got used to the climbers). Its my opinion that some of already the discussed matchups be re-looked at. But anyway as for rob (60:40), ICs.

lain

Smash Master
Uhm.

You have no idea what you are talking about. In fact, you saying that we should definitely listen to you because you are "just right" indicates strongly that we SHOULDN'T listen to you.

Samus vs IC I'm not exactly sure. I've never played a "good" samus before with IC's but I have with DDD. I'd imagine the matchup is like 60:40, maybe even 55:45 with that annoying UPB and all their projectiles and the zair gayness.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Uhm.

You have no idea what you are talking about. In fact, you saying that we should definitely listen to you because you are "just right" indicates strongly that we SHOULDN'T listen to you.

Samus vs IC I'm not exactly sure. I've never played a "good" samus before with IC's but I have with DDD. I'd imagine the matchup is like 60:40, maybe even 55:45 with that annoying UPB and all their projectiles and the zair gayness.
Was that addressed to me or to the random guy with a huge unformatted paragraph?

I dont feel like that guy is even worth looking into lol.

EDIT: all what i saw is he claims to be right, so il assume your talking to him.

Samus isnt a problem if only for the fact that everything she does can be shieldgrabbed. Theres a handfull of high placed samus online, and i can that once you learn their pattern it becomes mad easy. 6.5-3.5 imo. Oh, and she cant use her grab to separate well to the risk of getting grabbed. And she has no OHKO moves on nana, like snakes fsmash. Shes definitly not a problem.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
The reasoning of why I am right is indicated above it. Whn I said I am just right, is was indicating it is logical and I don't have to be a pro player to have logic. 1. Chaingrabs are the ICs strongest tools (desynching is great, but often the main goal is getting the grab). 2. Every opponent can be chaingrabbed from 0-death. 3. Good aerial ranged, disjointed, auto aerial cancelling fighters should be able to avoid being grabbed for the entire match, if played right (and spam helps). 4. Ground fighters have unavoidable lag (non autocancelling), can't retreat after doing a move, and have main moves that either lack range, lack power, lack sheildstun, or have too much lag (start-up or ending) (if you wish, exclude snake from this list, since the timings are close).So most ground fighters can't avoid being grabbed. All I was saying is I see alot of characters with similar tools getting different match-up percents. Game & watch, Marth, and MK all have similar tools and similar aerial range. G&w ***** the climbers but MK is even? All I am sayin is we shud take a look at these again. And lain you can argue if you wish. But argue with some sort of rebuttle, don't just be like he said one incorrect thing or he said he is right so "his whole post must be wrong." I said what I said, so it would be looked at and taken into account from a logical view. I have logic, and tournament knowledge, but I don't have pro status and I am not gonna pretend I do. I have beaten good names, top ranked players, and if I need to state them so that I am listened to then that is just stupid. I am a good player, but more importantly a SMART player. All I ask is you look at what I said in the early post for the latter reason.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Sure, they have similar tools here and there, but G&W, Marth, and MK are very different characters nonetheless that all play against ICs in very different ways. And G&W doesn't **** ICs at all; everybody used to think that, but the match-up has kept getting easier and easier.

meepxzero

Smash Master
the reason the ratios are out of wack is because the skill level with ic ranges from sucky to near perfection. If you look at mk or any other character the skill level is pretty consistent. We have the highest learning curve of any character. Near perfection ic will never lose to anyone. If you can powershield attacks all day and never mess up the infinite the ic should never lose a single game to anyone (except maybe snake).

gaw and marth dont do great cuz all it takes is a good powershield to land an infinite. Same would go with rob once we get inside the spam. MK has no advantage against us because we completely kill mks ground option (lot of attacks can be shield grabbed). We would beat mk if he didnt have 5 jumps because the reason we have slight advantages on a lot of the cast or go even is because a lot of them only have 2 jumps and we can predict when their jump ends.

As the metagame evolves the ratios me and lain give will be the most valid. Other ic players will get a lot better and realize that what we say is mostly correct. I still believe rob is an even match up, but its only cuz lain probably knows more stuff than me ;P (better player).

Samus is probably 60:40 ice climbers. zair is mad gay when recovering lol but hes so easy to grab.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
If you can powershield attacks all day and never mess up the infinite the ic should never lose a single game to anyone (except maybe snake).
First off, if you perfect sheild, your nana will get hit, b/c of her delay. And secondly if what you said is true, then the infinite should be banned, if all you need to do is powersheild three times in a match to win. But your statement is just plain wrong. And also I don't understand why this would not apply to snake?

As the metagame evolves the ratios me and lain give will be the most valid. Other ic players will get a lot better and realize that what we say is mostly correct.
This is exactly what I ended my argument with. Its unfair to just throw mine or other players opinions away b/c we aren't big name players. What I said makes logical sense. Just b/c lain or you goes nope its this way, shouldn't make all the difference. Sure you and lain have had alot of experiences versing higher level players, but it doesn't mean you are the be all and end all. And trust me, I am a good player, and I don't realize you guys are correct or by any means infalliable when it comes to matchup knowledge.

Sure, they have similar tools here and there, but G&W, Marth, and MK are very different characters nonetheless that all play against ICs in very different ways. And G&W doesn't **** ICs at all; everybody used to think that, but the match-up has kept getting easier and easier.
I personally don't find G&w that hard either. But that is exactly my point. Look what he ranks in the matchups on this forum. Like 65:35. That is a **** in my book. But I don't think he is harder then marth or mk. I feel like trying to get around any of their approaches are similar to getting around his. This is the kind of descrepency in the matchups that I am talking about.

meepxzero

Smash Master
the infinite is as ban worthy as mk (both are mad broken but beatable). I believe if u powershield with nana's shield you get the same characteristics as a regular powershield. Since the opponent is hitting two shields as opposed to one against ic it creates more lag in their attacks and lets shield grabbing become easier for ic. This was a huge thing in melee when u can create a larger shield with nana and a regular one with popo u create more shield stun for easier shield grabs.

Im basing this kinda all on theory but it makes a lotta sense if you think about it. imagine if u attacked someones shield with two opponents shielding next to one another. It creates more lag for the attacker.

A lot of the ratios are out dated sorto. We also lose to ike and link as well apparently >_>.

I really dont mean to disgard peoples opinions, but a lot of reasons i hear why they lose i over came from personal experience.

lain

Smash Master
Actually Sorto, I don't think you understand here.

Me and Meep are the top 2 IC players in the nation. Now, when people ask for matchup ratios, they generally want the ratio that reflects both players playing at the highest level. Meep and I know the matchups, we know how this game works.

I mean, first and foremost Sorto, you just continually say WRONG things. If everything you said wasn't completely and horribly wrong, well maybe.... well, I'm ot surewhat that would even change. ahaha.

swordgard

Smash Hero

Me and Meep are the top 2 IC players in the nation. Now, when people ask for matchup ratios, they generally want the ratio that reflects both players playing at the highest level. Meep and I know the matchups, we know how this game works.

I mean, first and foremost Sorto, you just continually say WRONG things. If everything you said wasn't completely and horribly wrong, well maybe.... well, I'm ot surewhat that would even change. ahaha.

Im gonna have to agree there, listen to lain and meep they know their stuff (id say i know mine, but considering noone has yet to even bother checking my matches :( ) . What you guys say though usually make sense and il abide by w/e makes sense. Sorto on the other hand makes 0 sense, and i refuse to read more than 1/4th through his posts until he learns proper formatting.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Stuff.

Okay, what meep said was right. This matchup thread is going a little too slow and these matchup ratios are ridiculously outdated. >_> We need to kinda hurry up and make at least one cycle so we can look back at the ratios. Some of them are just absurd, and I think we're moving much slower than the other boards with matchup discussions.

Sorto I'm not even going to try to read that paragraph but it just looks wrong.

*Reads it anyway because she has nothing to do*

Okay, you said a lot of wrong stuff there. A LOT of wrong stuff. I have to agree with the others. >_>

swordgard

Smash Hero
Okay, what meep said was right. This matchup thread is going a little too slow and these matchup ratios are ridiculously outdated. >_> We need to kinda hurry up and make at least one cycle so we can look back at the ratios. Some of them are just absurd, and I think we're moving much slower than the other boards with matchup discussions.

Sorto I'm not even going to try to read that paragraph but it just looks wrong.

*Reads it anyway because she has nothing to do*

Okay, you said a lot of wrong stuff there. A LOT of wrong stuff. I have to agree with the others. >_>

Lol, really? Ike, link, disadvantageous matchups? Sounds right to me.

If you play 1 handed at least.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
samus is in our advantage. all she really has is projectile spam (which she can do well in the right hands), up b out of shield and zair. this can make approaching her difficult for the average player, but not impossible. once we get in, her weight is nigh perfect for cgs. her up b can be a bit of a shock when you first get hit by it (assuming you would even GET hit by it), but desync'd blizzards/squall -> grab render that strategy pretty much null. unfortunately, she has a strategy to counter our blizzards and squall.... her zair. when used correctly it allows her to create an annoying wall. one strategy for getting past this that works pretty well is power shielding.

in conclusion, everything she can do, we can counter. and when we counter, we counter hard. 60:40 ICs at least. a good strategy is using the platforms to your advantage to dodge her missile/zair spam and move in for the kill.

now, as futurewrestler said: we really should do characters that actually MATTER.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Seriously Samus? We shoudl do characters that generally matter
See, this is the kind of attitude that enables low tiers to beat us. Let's not forget that Link goes even (45-55) with Snake... We should just stick with the alphabetical order and complete this thing, then reconsider some of the more questionable match-ups.

As the metagame evolves the ratios me and lain give will be the most valid. Other ic players will get a lot better and realize that what we say is mostly correct.
Your ratios have more credibility than other people's, and that's only fair. But to say "you'd agree if you were better" is a massive ad hominem, and it gives the impression that all of our opinions can be safely disregarded no matter what we say...

Meh. I have a feeling this match-up will be among the first to be re-discussed anyway. R.O.B. mains have realised that they became predictable, much like G&W. They'll be working on that.

Prawn

Smash Master

Oh my god, I've never seen so much verbal pwnage in my life. Jesus christ.

Anyways, in my experience chaingrabbing Samus isn't too hard, watch out for mines(or bombs or whatever the **** they are) because a well placed one at mid-higher percents can seperate ICs. 60-40 at the lowest in my opinon, probably easier.

swordgard

Smash Hero
yeah, this is going too slow>.>

so this week(o this isint sunday!?), Sheik and Snake(lol easiest and hardest matchup)

How is sheik easy. Seriously, i fail to see that, sheik is probably 6-4 for ics imo, she has alot of near lagless attacks and is hard to grab.

Snake is 6.5-3.5 (though im slowly leaning towards 6-4) for snake

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
1) Ganon is the easiest matchup.
2) We have some of the strangest bad matchups (CF, Link, Yoshi, Jiggs)
I think Snake is 6-4 in Snakes favor.
EDIT: I say we just continue this matchup thread, and then start over from scratch.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
How is sheik easy. Seriously, i fail to see that, sheik is probably 6-4 for ics imo, she has alot of near lagless attacks and is hard to grab.

Snake is 6.5-3.5 (though im slowly leaning towards 6-4) for snake
Wrong, Sheik is the easiest character in the game to grab... Most of her attacks aren't "near lagless" either. Her Dash attack has extreme end lag, as does her Usmash, Fsmash, Dair (lol), Uair, and her Fair isn't very safe to use on shields. Ice Blocks stop her Needle camping, the chain means an easy grab if they use it incorrectly... Sheik doesn't have much going for her in this matchup except gimping Nana, and even then one Ice Climber has a chain grab on her for a while.

Oh yeah, she also isn't very good at separating them.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I think he was looking at our terribly outdated matchup chart.

I still dont think snake is our worst matchup, but I admit I dont have the most expierence in the world against snake.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Captain Falcon a bad matchup LOLOLOLOL. Please update that OP. Or I can.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i don´t think that ic´s have that much matchups that are really bad except snake Oo he´s probably the only one lol

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Yeah, I was talking about the OP, But Yoshi and Jiggs actually might be bad matchups.

Metatitan

Smash Master
IC's **** yoshi, jiggs can stand a chance but even without cgs they can handle her just fine with their range and priority (note its the threat of cgs that makes jiggs lose this matchup, without cgs she would **** the IC's). With cgs 40:60 IC's favor. Not sure about yoshi but its easily IC's favor, mabey worse for yoshi than 40:60 (although this is just a discussion on AIM ive been having with green ace).

KRDsonic

Smash Master
IC's **** yoshi, jiggs can stand a chance but even without cgs they can handle her just fine with their range and priority (note its the threat of cgs that makes jiggs lose this matchup, without cgs she would **** the IC's). With cgs 40:60 IC's favor. Not sure about yoshi but its easily IC's favor, mabey worse for yoshi than 40:60 (although this is just a discussion on AIM ive been having with green ace).
Just because you personally are bad at fighting IC with Yoshi doesn't change the matchup... and Jiggs gimps Nana like there's no tomorrow.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
snake, and jiggs are the only definite poor matchups i know we have.

MK, and ROB have since become more even, but i still feel that for the majority of IC players these will be in the opponent's favor.

now, as far as sheik goes its in our favor, but her aerials have little landing lag which can be annoying, but her range (or lack there of) is a hindrance for her, plus the lag on her round attacks can pretty much all be punished out of a spot dodge. i'd say maybe 6.5:3.5, possibly 6:4.

snake... snake is a ****. HOWEVER, with enough practice you should be able to work around most of his stuff.... but even then we still don't have much to do (****ing utilt). 6.5:3.5 snake, imo.

note: i actually have a fair amount of experience against snakes and can do pretty well, but it really, really, really isn't in our favor.

swordgard

Smash Hero
snake, and jiggs are the only definite poor matchups i know we have.

MK, and ROB have since become more even, but i still feel that for the majority of IC players these will be in the opponent's favor.

now, as far as sheik goes its in our favor, but her aerials have little landing lag which can be annoying, but her range (or lack there of) is a hindrance for her, plus the lag on her round attacks can pretty much all be punished out of a spot dodge. i'd say maybe 6.5:3.5, possibly 6:4.

snake... snake is a ****. HOWEVER, with enough practice you should be able to work around most of his stuff.... but even then we still don't have much to do (****ing utilt). 6.5:3.5 snake, imo.

note: i actually have a fair amount of experience against snakes and can do pretty well, but it really, really, really isn't in our favor.
Jiggs isnt a bad matchup lmao. 6-4 ics, at worst worst 5.5-4.5 ics.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
You act as if that's a bad thing. You don't know how much I love when my opponents are scared of getting grabbed the whole match, not realizing that I don't even plan on grabbing them most of the time.
its a bad thing when thats all they do. most people who decide to main ICs just rush in and learn the CGs and ignore everything else about basic combat. CGS are cool, but the other stuff is important too.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
its a bad thing when thats all they do. most people who decide to main ICs just rush in and learn the CGs and ignore everything else about basic combat. CGS are cool, but the other stuff is important too.
Yeah, I know. It's bad for them and it's good for me because people expect that of other IC users.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I'll update the OP soon then for you. The ratios seem to be pretty distracting for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom