• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I started looking through this thread's OP to see things you guys have discussed, but then I got distracted by all the awesome pictures lol.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Jiggs vs ICs is in our advantage, blizzard shuts down all of her arieals and she ends up getting grabbed.

Also I think you should have to be slightly better than your opponent to win any matches LOL. The only snake Ive lost to is joker and he is a better player than me anyways.

I think Peach/Wario is our worst matchup

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
Jiggs vs ICs is in our advantage, blizzard shuts down all of her arieals and she ends up getting grabbed.

Also I think you should have to be slightly better than your opponent to win any matches LOL. The only snake Ive lost to is joker and he is a better player than me anyways.

its been the general consensus that jiggs can abuse nana and WoP her to death. if the jiggs takes on the ICs head on of course she's gonna lose, but they don't do that; they pick off nana and leave us helpless. its still an even match despite this, but in the end if she plays it right she still has a VERY slight advantage.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Jiggs can jump over Blizzard no problem. She will shield poke you to death, and thre is no pressuring a good Jiggz player. I'd say it's 6:4 or 6.5:3.5 In Jiggs favor. Especially since she can CP if she loses.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I updated the older matchups' ratios.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I used to hate Wario, but I've been doing better at that match-up lately and I don't think it's that bad anymore. I usually just camp under platforms with retreating nairs and abuse my shield a lot.

Peach is pretty annoying, but I don't feel like I have enough experience in that match-up to say much about it.

lain

Smash Master
How is sheik easy. Seriously, i fail to see that, sheik is probably 6-4 for ics imo, she has alot of near lagless attacks and is hard to grab.

Snake is 6.5-3.5 (though im slowly leaning towards 6-4) for snake
Sheik is incredibly easy for Ice Climbers. Do you realize how embarrassing it is to popo dthrow cg them across the stage, bthrow to nana, and do single climber cg's back across? You can do that until like 80% or something ********.

Think about this: Sheik is one of the few characters who can get ***** by single popo.

Yeah, I was talking about the OP, But Yoshi and Jiggs actually might be bad matchups.
I think Yoshi is ****ing annoying for IC's. However, the only thing that's annoying are the eggs (which he can get grabbed out of if mistimed) and the bairs however blizzard ***** that approach.

Jiggs is also annoying but I label it a 60:40. What exactly is going to stop jiggs from dying off the top from an Uair at like 90%? lmao.

I used to hate Wario, but I've been doing better at that match-up lately and I don't think it's that bad anymore. I usually just camp under platforms with retreating nairs and abuse my shield a lot.

Peach is pretty annoying, but I don't feel like I have enough experience in that match-up to say much about it.
Interesting against Wario. I'll have to try it sometime.

I play DDD for Peach. :[

Teh Future

Smash Master
A lot of characters can gimp nana, and that doesnt put any of the matchups in their favor. In the end none of Jiggs approachs are safe against ICs. Ive played Thinkaman more than a few times I definitely know the matchup.

Is it bad that I generally do best against Warios when Im playing bowser? lol

And yeah **** peach. I need to figure out who to play against her and wario in tournaments because ICs are just so bad. I play this one peach player and I can beat her with like 5 or so characters and not with my main. :(

KRDsonic

Smash Master
A lot of characters can gimp nana, and that doesnt put any of the matchups in their favor.
Really? I thought that was why Pikachu and Snake are so bad for Ice Climbers to face.

futurewrestler said:
And yeah **** peach. I need to figure out who to play against her and wario in tournaments because ICs are just so bad. I play this one peach player and I can beat her with like 5 or so characters and not with my main. :(
Peach is annoying, but I have no alts that are good against her. Personally that matchup doesn't seem too bad to me. I beat Sandtrap's Peach in tournament with IC before, bating them in by making them think you'll have the other climber do a blizzard when you're desynced seems to work, for me at least. With the exception of the turnips and the Dair, Peach doesn't seem too troublesome for me. I had other friendlies against his Peach afterwards (He wanted to learn the matchup more after the set, and we only had 1 IC vs. Peach match in it) and I wasn't really having any trouble at all against it, and his Peach is pretty good. Then again, those turnips would gimp me to no end x.x and chain grabbing was out of the question, but she dies from up smash pretty early.

lain

Smash Master
A lot of characters can gimp nana, and that doesnt put any of the matchups in their favor. In the end none of Jiggs approachs are safe against ICs. Ive played Thinkaman more than a few times I definitely know the matchup.

Is it bad that I generally do best against Warios when Im playing bowser? lol

Are you talking about Nicole? lolololol

I was going to go through all the characters and give a matchup ratio for everyone, but IDK who would take my word for it. I pretty much know every matchup.

Hence

Smash Ace
Is it can be ZSS tiem nao?

Zero Suit Samus ***** IC's at 70:30 as far as I'm concerned. Ice Climbers only win on FD, but we can simply ban it. ZSS is one of the best characters (if not THE best) to survive your F-Air spike too. :)

KRDsonic

Smash Master
ZSS is one of the best characters (if not THE best) to survive your F-Air spike too. :)
We don't need the spike though :) If we get the grab, Usmash kills ZSS early, and if you're talking about when we don't grab, Bair is better for edgeguarding :p

ZSS does **** IC though x.x crazy range and stuff.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Sheik is incredibly easy for Ice Climbers. Do you realize how embarrassing it is to popo dthrow cg them across the stage, bthrow to nana, and do single climber cg's back across? You can do that until like 80% or something ********.

Think about this: Sheik is one of the few characters who can get ***** by single popo.

I think Yoshi is ****ing annoying for IC's. However, the only thing that's annoying are the eggs (which he can get grabbed out of if mistimed) and the bairs however blizzard ***** that approach.

Jiggs is also annoying but I label it a 60:40. What exactly is going to stop jiggs from dying off the top from an Uair at like 90%? lmao.

Interesting against Wario. I'll have to try it sometime.

I play DDD for Peach. :[
Meh, your probably right for sheik, unfortunatly for me my only good sheik experience is from online with california (3 seconds delay= no fun for ics, especially withr andom lag spike :( )

Yoshi is indeed annoying (aka not hard, just really annoying XD ), 6-4 ics.

Oh, and i think now that snake is 6-4 at worst lol, after learning some more of the matchup today i am feeling very confident its 6-4.

Oh, and i can say i have mastered lains signature move XD

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Peach is really tough, but I've noticed that most Peaches will try to camp Dair's. And I've also noticed that there is this little window of openess (a VERY little one) in which when they go to float, you can abuse that and Usmash them. Also, Desynching is near useless in this matchup. She will turnip you so hard, you'll just be like....O.o. 6/4 Peach's favor.

Yoshi actually has combo's that will mess with you. His Bair will seperate your climbers, and his quick and powerful smashes will keep you apart. Mostly watch out for his eggs because he can, and most likely will outcamp you. Approach cautiously and watch out for his invincibility frames on his double jump, which will run through your blizzard and get you Nair'd. I believe it's about 5.5/4.5 Yoshi. If not Yoshi has a bigger advantage.

6.5/3.5 in Jiggs favor.

ZSS....actually might be the worst matchup now that I think about it. At the beggining of the match JUMP JUMP JUMP NAO. SHE IS GONNA THROUGH THE ARMOR. If you get hit, your pretty much 60% down your first stock. After the armor is taken care of, she will start to camp Side-B's. They have just about as much range as the blizzard, and about equal priority, but if they hit at the same time, ZSS' will win do to the power of the SideB.
Some ZSS' like to camp the lazer too. They will usually SH it. If you get hit, you WILL get desynched, usually for a nana gimp. ZSS will hardly EVER give you an opening to attack due to range and speed. And REALLY REALLY try not to get hit by that DSmash. It will demolish you. You really need to be patient on this matchup or she will paralyze, and bair you alllllllll day. I say 70-30 ZSS. No doubt, IMO our worst matchup.

Hence

Smash Ace
Not to mention we can pressure your shield all day with Plasma Whip. If you powershield, It basically creates an opening for us to kill Nana. Paralyzer works in the same way, you PS and Nana is affected. If you don't PS, you'll eat a one frame jab after dropping your shield. The only thing you have against us is the ability is force an approach with Icebergs on flat stages. In the beginning, though, ZSS can create a wall with armour pieces that reflects all icebergs. Desynced squall is useful for punishing landing lag or a whiffed receeding Plasma Whip. ZSS can flat out platform camp IC's on Smashville too. Ice Climbers can also full hop Blizzard against our Flip Jump, but GL.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
ZSS is mean, Ice Climbers can't do anything against her, and she Dsmash locks my Sheik D:

... I really wish I could put some input on this matchup, but so few people use ZSS that I don't really know how to fight her.

Hence

Smash Ace
You know you can escape the D-Smash lock (0-30/40% without SDI) as Sheik with SDI, right?

swordgard

Smash Hero
Not to mention we can pressure your shield all day with Plasma Whip. If you powershield, It basically creates an opening for us to kill Nana. Paralyzer works in the same way, you PS and Nana is affected. If you don't PS, you'll eat a one frame jab after dropping your shield. The only thing you have against us is the ability is force an approach with Icebergs on flat stages. In the beginning, though, ZSS can create a wall with armour pieces that reflects all icebergs. Desynced squall is useful for punishing landing lag or a whiffed receeding Plasma Whip. ZSS can flat out platform camp IC's on Smashville too. Ice Climbers can also full hop Blizzard against our Flip Jump, but GL.
Your defintly overrating zss. ZSS is kinda easy >.>

And hence, since when does dsmash allows SDI >.>

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
I find ZSS extremely annoying.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Are you talking about Nicole? lolololol

I was going to go through all the characters and give a matchup ratio for everyone, but IDK who would take my word for it. I pretty much know every matchup.
haha yeah shes in stl for the summer. She made the mistake of saying she finds IC players sexy or something when someone said something about you so now every time we play Im like, "so how about them ICs mains?" XD

Ive also never played against zzs so I cant say anything about that matchup. The only thing I know about zzs is that she has a grab release CG on metaknight and falco ***** her. I dont think random facts will be very useful if I ever have to face one though lol

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
she. is. a. *****. in no way is she an easy matchup for us. the only character that i've been 2 stocked by. i have less trouble with snakes (though to be fair i play them more than ZSS). its just a stupid matchup. i'd recommend switching characters.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
with ZSS/Peach, i just go yoshi >.>
as for snake...eh idk i kinda switch between the two.
lol sheik, all it takes is one decynced bliz and its done(lol you dont even have to desync in this match)

PoweredVolt

Smash Cadet
Ice Climbers 55-45 with Link my ***. Pretty much every single attack of Link's separates them and then projectiles do the rest. Nana is too stupid to do anything about it. :(

lain

Smash Master
ZSS has crazy gay range, but that doesn't stop the large majority of her moves from being highly ineffective and useless.

6:4, IC's. ;]

swordgard

Smash Hero
ZSS has crazy gay range, but that doesn't stop the large majority of her moves from being highly ineffective and useless.

Hey, i found out how to get the right matchup chart.

Take ics boards, and take any characters which is believed to own ics bad due to range/random stuff and peoples personal experience. Then replace matchup by 6-4 XD, this is valid for everyone but snake.

Im gonna have to agree with you on this one, i guess just like me you faced snakeee (although i only faced him online :S ), and if i 2-0ed him i can only imagine what you did to him lol(3 stock? XD)

On another note, there is NO way to SDI dsmash lock. Dsmash immediatly sends you into "faux hitstun", which i believe you cannot SDI (lmao or else dsmash would be completely useless XD. Its akin to zeldas fair (freezes but not sdi allowed).

Hence

Smash Ace
Oops, I meant regular DI. The ammount of characters we can D-Smash chain is so few and the technique is so conditional that I've eliminated it from my game entirely.

--------------------- with DI ------- w/out DI ----------
Character : ---- None - Full ------ None - Full --------
Bowser : --------- 0% - 0% -------- 2% - 24% -------
Diddy Kong : ---- 0% - 0% -------- 0% - 13% -------
Link : ------------- 0% - 0% -------- 1% - 24% -------
Sheik : ---------- 22% - 55% ------ 39% - 91% ------
Ganondorf : ----- 0% - 4% -------- 27% - 63% ------
Zero Suit Samus: 0% - 0% -------- 0% - 3% --------
Metaknight : ----- 0% - 0% -------- 0% - 14% ------
King Dedede : --- 0% - 0% --------- 0% - 4% -------
Fox : ------------ 58% - 120% ----- 58% - 121% ----
Falco : ---------- 20% - 44% ------- 35% - 87% -----
Wolf : ----------- 39% - 91% ------- 56% - 117% ---
Captain Falcon : 12% - 44% ------- 39% - 93% -----
Squirtle : -------- 0% - 0% --------- 0% - 15% ------
Ike : ------------- 0% - 0% --------- 0% - 4% --------
Lucas : ---------- 0% - 0% --------- 0% - 1% --------
Sonic : ---------- 0% - 0% --------- 0% - 2% --------

MM @ MWC?

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332

I don't think your giving her enough credit :| Just getting close to her is super hard. Camping her helps alittle but she can just space a sideB and stop that quick. The only things we really have against her, is great ledge options and her really light weight. Other than that, I don't see how she doesn't destroy us. I might not've had enough ZSS experience but the one I play is pretty good. And I've always had trouble with him. 7:3 ZSS

swordgard

Smash Hero
I don't think your giving her enough credit :| Just getting close to her is super hard. Camping her helps alittle but she can just space a sideB and stop that quick. The only things we really have against her, is great ledge options and her really light weight. Other than that, I don't see how she doesn't destroy us. I might not've had enough ZSS experience but the one I play is pretty good. And I've always had trouble with him. 7:3 ZSS
Man, how many times must i say this.

90% of the people on this board simply completely misuse the ics. Simple as that. If you think zss is 7-3, you are wrong for so many reasons. PS her side b with run shield cancel and then you get a free grab >.>

She cant use her grab effectivly due to high risk, her only really good option is dsmash. She cant gimp effectivly nor has any one hit ko move vs nana (snakes fsmash for example). 6-4 Ics.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Man, how many times must i say this.

90% of the people on this board simply completely misuse the ics. Simple as that. If you think zss is 7-3, you are wrong for so many reasons. PS her side b with run shield cancel and then you get a free grab >.>

She cant use her grab effectivly due to high risk, her only really good option is dsmash. She cant gimp effectivly nor has any one hit ko move vs nana (snakes fsmash for example). 6-4 Ics.
Lol. I'm fairly sure I don't misuse them D: And....uhm...if you PS her SideB (assuming she SH'd it) it's not laggy enough for you to get the grab. ZSS doesn't need grabs, and Dsmash beats IC's really badly. And her Main KO moves are the Side B and the Bair. (she can Dsmash>Bair on Nana for early kills since she doesn't DI) No she can't gimp but she CAN camp really well. 7:3 ZSS. If not 6:4 ZSS, but we have a disadvantage on this matchup.

Hence

Smash Ace
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't powershielding our Plasma Whip cause Nana to still take damage and knockback?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't powershielding our Plasma Whip cause Nana to still take damage and knockback?
If IC's are standing still, yes.

If they are running, probably not.

l!nk_aut

Smash Journeyman
i don´t think that we have a disadvantage in this matchup. i would say its even, if not in our favor.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol. I'm fairly sure I don't misuse them D: And....uhm...if you PS her SideB (assuming she SH'd it) it's not laggy enough for you to get the grab. ZSS doesn't need grabs, and Dsmash beats IC's really badly. And her Main KO moves are the Side B and the Bair. (she can Dsmash>Bair on Nana for early kills since she doesn't DI) No she can't gimp but she CAN camp really well. 7:3 ZSS. If not 6:4 ZSS, but we have a disadvantage on this matchup.
Lol, side b DOES have enough lag for us to grab it.

Correct me if im wrong, but side B can easily be DI-ed out of.

She cant camp very well lmao, running shield destroys most of her camp. Then she have to rely on grab which is pretty mucha dead end.

If you run, nana wont get hit after a PS. Why do you think lain abuses so much the running PS ? Ics should rarely be just standing anyways.

Sorry, you misuse em D:

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Lol, side b DOES have enough lag for us to grab it.

Correct me if im wrong, but side B can easily be DI-ed out of.

She cant camp very well lmao, running shield destroys most of her camp. Then she have to rely on grab which is pretty mucha dead end.

If you run, nana wont get hit after a PS. Why do you think lain abuses so much the running PS ? Ics should rarely be just standing anyways.

Sorry, you misuse em D:
O.o Uhm...Firstly if you PS ZSS' sideB (good ZSS' will jump backward for spacing purposes) She can easily use a uncharged B (the lazer thingy) and hit you, A Jab (quickest jab in the game, MUCH quicker than her grab) Or even her Dsmash. And you can DI out of her Side B depending on where and when you get hit.

Also...it's pretty ignorant to assume that 90% of IC's don't use them correctly. You don't even know all the Ice Climbers that exist. And out of the well known ones, only about 20 exist. So 90% of 20 is......I unno....but it's like below 4. So out of those 4 I'd pick, Lain, Meep, FA, and probably Hylian for last. Which means that you can't play them, Karina can't play them, L!nk can't play them, and so on.

swordgard

Smash Hero
O.o Uhm...Firstly if you PS ZSS' sideB (good ZSS' will jump backward for spacing purposes) She can easily use a uncharged B (the lazer thingy) and hit you, A Jab (quickest jab in the game, MUCH quicker than her grab) Or even her Dsmash. And you can DI out of her Side B depending on where and when you get hit.

Also...it's pretty ignorant to assume that 90% of IC's don't use them correctly. You don't even know all the Ice Climbers that exist. And out of the well known ones, only about 20 exist. So 90% of 20 is......I unno....but it's like below 4. So out of those 4 I'd pick, Lain, Meep, FA, and probably Hylian for last. Which means that you can't play them, Karina can't play them, L!nk can't play them, and so on.
90% was maybe a higher number than reality, but frankly, i only see very few climbers who seem to know what they are talking about.

I can even name them to you, but that would be rude to you and all the others.

Theres only 3 names in my list btw. Im not gonna name myself since that would be pretty lame of me XD I only put people who place very well with them.

Oh and im not saying they cant use ics, im saying they cant use em at high tournament level. But over time people improve and get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom