• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ice Climbers Matchup Thread*Closed*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Future

Smash Master
You just said you've only played one olimar, how can you base a matchup from one person that youve played? Either way I dont think you can always base the machup on how you and Lain do against Olimars, since Im pretty sure you are both just better players in general than any olimars out there.

meepxzero

Smash Master
NC-Echo came to a tourney down here and i jv 3 stocked his olimar. He even agrees theres nothing olimar can do. It doesnt really matter if me and lain are better than the oli players we play. If you just desynch blizzard and are somewhat consistent with cging theres no reason u shouldnt be destroying them. I will agree if you dont feel like camping and wanna attack olimar then yah u will get destroyed. This is shield dashing into them, squal hammer into them, or any kind of approach that deals with going after them.

Its not our fault me and lain are years ahead with our mains -_-a. I would rather have the match up ratios right the first time rather than keep changing them like other character boards do.

swordgard

Smash Hero
NC-Echo came to a tourney down here and i jv 3 stocked his olimar. He even agrees theres nothing olimar can do. It doesnt really matter if me and lain are better than the oli players we play. If you just desynch blizzard and are somewhat consistent with cging theres no reason u shouldnt be destroying them. I will agree if you dont feel like camping and wanna attack olimar then yah u will get destroyed. This is shield dashing into them, squal hammer into them, or any kind of approach that deals with going after them.

Its not our fault me and lain are years ahead with our mains -_-a. I would rather have the match up ratios right the first time rather than keep changing them like other character boards do.

Lol @ years ahead. I love the way your so humble XD Come and take a small trip to canada and meet your maker :p
Whatsover, im gonna have to agree, ics vs lolimar is 7-3 for ics imo. If not worst.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Lol @ years ahead. I love the way your so humble XD Come and take a small trip to canada and meet your maker :p
Whatsover, im gonna have to agree, ics vs lolimar is 7-3 for ics imo. If not worst.
lol swordgard XD ur probably centuries ahead of me and lain. The theories u tell me are waaay past what i think. You really needa go to national tournies down here.

We need a jerk on these boards ;P cuz smashboards is getting kinda boring.

swordgard

Smash Hero
lol swordgard XD ur probably centuries ahead of me and lain. The theories u tell me are waaay past what i think. You really needa go to national tournies down here.

Speaking of centuries ahead, i just found out the famous "frame lock" with metaknight.

Aka, i found a way to do natural comboes on the ground if the opponent doesnt DI, and it goes on for full FD.

lain

Smash Master

Olimar gets ***** by IC's. Fact. IC's have the tools to deal with everything Olimar does, and then **** him in the face. Squall hammer and blizzard eats pikmin (although I wouldn't spam blizzard far away since the pikmin can arc over and hit you ><.

I thought I was that jerk? :'[

Speaking of centuries ahead, i just found out the famous "frame lock" with metaknight.

Aka, i found a way to do natural comboes on the ground if the opponent doesnt DI, and it goes on for full FD.
You had me until there was no di involved.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Olimar gets ***** by IC's. Fact. IC's have the tools to deal with everything Olimar does, and then **** him in the face. Squall hammer and blizzard eats pikmin (although I wouldn't spam blizzard far away since the pikmin can arc over and hit you ><.

I thought I was that jerk? :'[

You had me until there was no di involved.

Well, technically it was doable EVEN with DI but like it required insane spacing issues, but devellopers foresaw the comboes i tried doing, it only works once then for some reason the thing just doesnt work. It basically involved a dtilt lock without any setup, it worked for 2 hits then dtilt wont trip anymore due to some hidden function in the game.Its gay, effing devellopers.

As for not spamming blizzard far away, meh lain, i can stop any pikmins with my blizz wall.
Meep excels at basically comboing, you excel at getting the grabs through mindgames, i excel at weird desynchs. So for me olimars its really the easiest matchup ever, my blizzwall is near perfect.

Snipa4800

Smash Lord
If the Pit knows what hes doing I'd say its 60/40 Pit.
Arrows go through Blizzard and Mirror Shield stops Ice Blocks and reflects Blizzard.
Ice blocks wont stop his arrows if he does a short hop and curves them.
Plenty of Pits moves seperate Iceclimbers , and he has the means of gimping us fairly easy.
Use plenty of desynced ice blocks to prevent ledge camping and wait for the grab.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Ive only played one pit in pools and we went 1-1, although I was playing pretty badly. I just remember he outspams us so we have to approach, his rolls are ******** fast like lucarios and his jab comes out really fast for the range it has. One good thing is that he cant ledgecamp though

swordgard

Smash Hero
Ive only played one pit in pools and we went 1-1, although I was playing pretty badly. I just remember he outspams us so we have to approach, his rolls are ******** fast like lucarios and his jab comes out really fast for the range it has. One good thing is that he cant ledgecamp though
Learn to pivot grab :)

Also, its 6-4 ics from my experience, pit is fast, but if you SDI the fsmash, its free grabs :), same for forward B. He may outspam you, but he needs to run, you can easily trap him using a climber as a decay with blizzard while the other is free, then you upair spam. This is one of ics harder matchup.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
How is it 60-40 in our favor, yet one of our hardest matchups? >_>

Also, 55-45. In our favor.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
It's probably in our favour... His arrows seperate us off-stage which can lead to pretty embaressing Nana gimps, but it's nothing you can't overcome if you keep it in mind. Force them to re-synch with a fast aerial or an airdodge. It helps that Squall has such an amazing distance. On-stage, he has a few options, but we usually have more, and Pit always has to stay cautious of what he does, which rather limits him.

55-45 sounds about right.

swordgard

Smash Hero
How is it 60-40 in our favor, yet one of our hardest matchups? >_>

Also, 55-45. In our favor.
Very few characters have a true advantage over ics(heck, to me i would say only snake and maybe MK). Maybe im missing1-2, but really ics have tools to deal with almost everyone.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Spotdodge to Dsmash *****...
Dtilt trip *****..
Nair annoying *****...
Ftilt range *****...
Uair splits *****...
CHARGIN HIS LAZER goes through our blizzard *****...
Charged Gyro can't be blocked by out Ice Blocks.... *****....
Rob *****...

30 : 70 IC : ROB *****...

Lolololololololol we lose *****...

ChibiIceClimberz

Smash Ace
NNID
ch33bdragonite
3DS FC
5370-0405-0580
Spotdodge to Dsmash *****...
Dtilt trip *****..
Nair annoying *****...
Ftilt range *****...
Uair splits *****...
CHARGIN HIS LAZER goes through our blizzard *****...
Charged Gyro can't be blocked by out Ice Blocks.... *****....
Rob *****...
Bold is the ones I don't agree with...

1) Jab onto him instead of spotdodging? We always make mistakes... by spotdodging it. :0
2) F-tilt.... uhm... ._.
3) Can't you DI his u-air? O_o
4) Ice Blocks/Blizzard > Gyro. ^^
5) Don't forget his b-air? D:

The only thing I don't like about R.O.B is when spamming turns on... and when he recovers with n-air and other aerials. o.o

Edit...
Hurray smilies fest.

JustNoOne

Smash Lord
Bold is the ones I don't agree with...

1) Jab onto him instead of spotdodging? We always make mistakes... by spotdodging it. :0
2) F-tilt.... uhm... ._.
3) Can't you DI his u-air? O_o
4) Ice Blocks/Blizzard > Gyro. ^^
5) Don't forget his b-air? D:

The only thing I don't like about R.O.B is when spamming turns on... and when he recovers with n-air and other aerials. o.o

Edit...
Hurray smilies fest.
Although I would like to jab, sometimes I find ROB's Dsmash clanking with our jabs... Maybe I'll try to jab more :3

Ftilt pretty much has the range to destroy us on the ground, I remember it having more range than Marth's Fsmash

Although we can DI his Uair, it still seprates us to a degree where Nana will take some time to come back to us unless we Smash DI and DI where Nana will be going.

Blizzard can stop a fully charged blizzard, but when a ROB throws one after he CHARGING MY LAZER at us, it's not like we can use blizzard quickly enough to stop a fuly charged gryo, unelss it's not a fully charged gryo, we're perfectly fine.

Bair is ****... (Ohh yeah I forgot that giant thing behind him...)

Edit: **** DDR is addicting once you see people be so good at it =D

Ruse

Fox
Lain vs NinjaLink
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt7i1v77jo8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idBH1UVifSI

Lain vs HolyNightmare
(First Match Not Recorded; Lain Lost)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkA0nx8XOlE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcCVJqnZQ1A

Lain straight up 2-0'd the best ROB in the nation, and barely lost to the best ROB in Canada. This is ROB being played at what is, currently, his most advanced metagame.

While this match-up may be in ROB's favor, I wouldn't put it at 70-30. 60-40, at most. Snake is a lot worse imo.

lain

Smash Master
I beat Holy again the next time I went to Canada. I lost first match with DDD, then went IC's and won the next two.

This is a 60:40, MAYBE a 55:45 matchup in IC's favor.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Can anyone show me a vid with a GOOD IC player loosing to marth, I seriously have no clue what Marth could do to damage ICs and not risk to get grabbed, or maybe I just understand what you meant wrong which should be the most logical thing in that I guess...

Why is FD out of the question(they ban it or?), sure camping laser/gyros works, but fulljump>Laser>Iceblocks>gyro.
Fulljump IB is a solution to both avoid the laser/gyro and have a possibility to damage the ROB, that and squall should be abused, and grabs should happen just once or twice (you get the point) just because you´ll need to avoid the situation where you get grabs since spotdodge> dsmash is one of ROB's strenghts in the matchup.
Playing with patience and conditioning to slowly rack up damage(with IB/squall) is a way to go that have worked for me even though I´ve yet to face a really good ROB (is there any in europe?! ^^). This is though a strategy that works on only stages without platforms so FD is were I´ve used it...

meepxzero

Smash Master
im sure neo could beat any other ic player on here except maybe lain. I just know the ins and outs of marth cuz i mained him for a good year. Thats the only reason id call marth even because i have a slight biased as i know marths true weaknesses.

Rob is almost the same thing as marth. He has the most predictable style. Spam gyro/laser. Nair all the time when your in kill range. spotdodge downsmash when your next to them. Ic **** any predictable style if your smarter than whoever ur playing except mk because mk can be predictable and its almost impossible for us to do anything about it.

ic have a ton of even match ups and then there are stupid **** ones. If your smarter than the player then ull win.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I couldn't help but look around this place to see what my secondary (Bowser) could do to protect himself from severe **** from the ICs after losing to an ICs user earlier this week (Backlash, who actually mains Marth) as Bowser , and then looked at pages 57-59 seeing different Ratios for Pit.
For one, I see some thinking it's in favor of the ICs, and then some in favor for Pit, but if you ask me, it pretty much varies more depending on the Pit, but not the ICs since most of em have similar styles, and as we all know, a ICs isnt really good without the CGs.

I find the matchup with Pit between ratios 55-45 on either side, but if I have to choose one, it would be 55-45 Pit's advantage.
After the previous defeat from Backlash's ICs as Bowser, later on, went to Pit, then played almost fully aggressive (being slightly casual) resulting in giving him a 3-stock, but that's not the point.
Pit's got a ton of tools to seperate you, (SH-nairs, the spinning jab, U-tilt only if u r close to him), and Pit can really get to u when u r in the air, so Pit's D-tilt benefits him.
Again, depending on the Pit player and your knowledge of Pit and his moves, when to shieldgrab and all, u could have the real advantage, especially against a Pit that does not know how to use his pressuring attacks correctly.
There in this case, in my position, this would be the real only matchup where i use SH N-airs the most, for not only is it a pressuring move, but Pit can move around the place in the air making him hard to grab especially when the Pit spaces while doing all of those SH aerials, just about as annoying as a Wario and his air-game.

In my reasoning to say that only a good experienced or tactical Pit would know how to deal with different ICs, like arrowing blizzards, knowing how to seperate em, and capable of laying down the pressure with aerials while at the same time avoiding grabs is where Pit gets good in the matchup.

So in my experience, it would be 55-45 Pit's advantage with the right spacing and pressuring tools in Pit's arsenal, even though PIT SHOULD NOT LEDGECAMP ICS WITH ICE BLOCKS (especially desynch ones). This is where i find an aggressive Pit is slightly better than a defensive Pit in the matchup, yet, the Pit still needs to be casual.
Matchup boundaries are 55-45 either side, but again, it mainly depends on the Pit.

To get a small ideal about this, I'll describe my playstyle against ICs:

When the match starts, most ICs use Ice block from the start, but how do I start? I start releasing SH N-airs, going back and forth to mess with the ICs minds, but actually SH N-airing backwards is an interesting Spacing tool i see against reckless rushing IC players. I mix up my aerial moment with SH D-air, SH F-air and SH-B air. Doing these ton of SH aerials is my main tactic to try to seperate the ICs.

The jab, as i mentioned in my other large post, seems good against reckless ICs and outprioritizes their Squall move. I use this on occasions, unless I see how the IC player plays.

I dont ledgecamp much due to them ice blocks, but that dont mean I wont sneak in a U-air against nearby IC players, but what I really want to do is get back on the stage, without the fear of the grabs, so I prefer to try to push the ICs away with an attack, then get back on the stage and continue pressure.
ICs players should avoid the "D-throw to spike to block" thing on the stage, for I do tend to Tech outta the grab that way.... Mostly.

Once I finally do seperate em, I try to kill whichever IC i want, preferred Nana, idk y, maybe to torture Popo more, or either because nana is annoying. But I use a large amount of moves in order to keep em seperated. If an IC is off the stage, I will most likely go after that one using Pit's good edgeguarding. If it's Nana, i might just attack Popo instead.
I use arrows against blizzards, nothing big though.
My playstyle is basically being mostly aggressive while trying to space, and predict the grabbing. I will only ledgecamp for a short time if Im having problems getting onto the ledge.

This goes back to why I think Pit has a slight advantage:
Pit is one of the chars that can easily seperate the ICs with his Multihit attacks, and add that with Pit's good edgeguarding, he can be a difficult opponent. His spinning jab is a good weapon against the reckless. The only big trouble (besides the CG) that I see Pit having is ledgecamping, which he really shouldnt be doing in this matchup due to ice blocks.
NOTE: I've realized that compared to other chars, Pit's Meteor Cancelling (if there ever was such a thing in Brawl, i think) is really bad. In other words, Pit sucks at recovering from spikes since he apparently has longer hitstun than everone else. I've tried recovering from spikes as Pit for a long time, and he probably wont even survive a spike starting from 20%. Even if Pit does respond before getting KO'd if he has to use Up-B, he aint gettin back up if the spike is strong enough since Up-B wont stop the momentum like other Up-Bs, like ROB's. You can use Pit's little hitstun problem to get easier Spike KOs than other chars, and basically easier 0-deaths... IF you can grab the Pit.

But Now I said my revision on that Pit matchup, I'll probably leave you to your discussion on Marth.
-----------------------------------
As for the Marth matchup, I would assume that Marth would probably be having a slight advantage for having fast attacks and long range, but their playstyle is usually predictable, just hard to surpress as some chars. I would find Marth a bit easier to grab than a tactical SH aerial Pit imo. Shield the Dancing Blade easily is what I can foresee in the matchup.
But what are you to do against Marths spacing away from u with F-airs?

EDIT: This post > My other post in terms of size. (whole text fills the screen)

Smasher89

Smash Lord
To the last question about marth, run in and powershieldgrab, the sole reason the same old melee tactic won´t work against Ic's and makes them top tier...

Kage Me

Smash Ace
only if we're below him....
Not only that, but you have to factor in human error. If we make one mistake, R.O.B. is very capable of punishing us for it, and it often costs you Nana. Many of our strategies don't work against him, and his recovery means that if you don't knock him straight out of the screen, he'll be coming back effortlessly. Combine this with his weight, and it stands to reason that we need to get R.O.B. at very high damage if we are to KO him. Chaingrabs aren't as important as usual, we can't camp him due to Gyros, he can edgeguard us fairly well, and saving Nana is often a risky campaign.

It's far from hopeless, but the odds are not in our favour. When factoring in that you may have to defend (or be unable to defend) Nana fairly often, I'd say that this is a 60-40 in R.O.B.'s favour.

swordgard

Smash Hero
People, ROB is in our advantage. =_=
Lain, i think that with the stuff i found for rob it makes it about even , but without these yeah im starting to think it IS our advantage ( heck, i can only blame myself for losing to a rob last tourney, i get way more than enough grab i just hadnt trained to cg due to exams :( )

lain

Smash Master
It's not in our favor because of little "things" you've found. It's in our favor because IC's at highest level beats ROB.

Being above ROB is kinda gay, but just airdodge and maneuver smartly to get away. On the ground you can just stay a bit outside his range and see what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom