• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

General ICs Q&A Thread

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
My friend was learning IC's and pointed out that Fthrow -> spike off the side of the stage is way more effective than dthrow -> spike. It's hard to DI enough to land on stage or tech.

Is this already known about?

Also, while learning IC's myself I've been wondering:

Is the IC's chaingrab that involves Nana footstooling and Popo iceblocking a forced getup allowed in tournament?

:phone:

Airslash

Smash Journeyman
So uh.

Hobbling.

Yeah, the only tech I can't do... I just picked up IC's today, and managed to learn everything perfectly enough to get flashy 0-deaths, but I can't hobble for my life.

Advice?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Make sure Nana is airborne before inputting the Bthrow or you might miss the timing. And try to wait for Popo to turn around before you start to input jump.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to interrupt the current discussion... But is their an IC's chat group or skype group or something?

crifer

Smash Lord
Can someone explain to me why a lot of top ICs use bthrow> fthrow ? Is it in anyway superior to bthrow/dthrow? I mean dthrow can be buffered while fthrow seems kind of harder to me...

theunabletable

Smash Lord
fthrow timing is the same on every character (barring different hurtboxes), whereas Dthrow timing is based on the weight of the character. But if you find the visual cues easier go for it :)

SSBBDaisy

Smash Lord
How do ICs approach an Ike that spam short hops and wait for u to get close so they can back air u? I suck

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Hi there, sorry to bother you, but I have a problem :

I picked up ICs 3 years ago, I've trained my chaingrabs for easily 200 hours in training mode or vs CPU (+ friendlies and tournament, etc...), and I still can't CG consistently... I am like the only one to drop chaingrabs like that. :(

One day, I can CG easily without dropping, the day after I'm at a tournament and drop all my chaingrabs, and at the moment I can't CG consistently.

My question is : Should I practice again or I'm definitely bad and I have to stop playing the ICs?

Thanks in advance.

Takun09

Smash Rookie
Lol This made me laugh cause it sounds like me. At home Alone I feel like a Chain Grabbing God, with other people I fail hard. DeLux would agree lol. But like they say practice makes perfect and it also could be due to nervousness, just relax its a game enjoy it. Also if chain grabbing is your sole purpose for playing IC's, you should not play them. Play someone you actually enjoy playing with !

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Myo, go watch a crazy horror movie with a bunch of startling moments. Once you get an adrenaline rush induced by the movie, go practice CGing immediately after

Also, for hot venues, you can go for a couple mile run or do wind sprints and get your heart rate and sweat rate up. Then sit down and CG immediately after you finish working out. I recommend covering your couch with a towel though due to sweat reasons

Not even kidding

Myollnir

Smash Ace
Lol This made me laugh cause it sounds like me. At home Alone I feel like a Chain Grabbing God, with other people I fail hard. DeLux would agree lol. But like they say practice makes perfect and it also could be due to nervousness, just relax its a game enjoy it. Also if chain grabbing is your sole purpose for playing IC's, you should not play them. Play someone you actually enjoy playing with !

Actually, I used to rely on the ICs' other moves. But it's useless, CG is almost always better.
I'd enjoy playing them if I didn't miss every grab! >.<

@DeLux : Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. I'll try it sooner or later.
But atm even with a CPU, I can't CG, so I don't think it's a good idea right now. :(
I have some problems to regrab MK with the F-throw. I tried to change my CG but I still can't CG well so I'll stick with your CG.

DeLux

I'll do a stream pretty soon talking people through some CG trouble shooting once my new apartment gets more squared away

Jrugs

Smash Ace
Soooooooooooo.....who wants to go to New York?
Opening up a carpool for Impact in New York Tell your friends

(disclaimer one way trip)

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Hey, what would you say is the preferred cg on heavies like ( snake, DDD, Falcon ). I use Fthrow - dthrow. Is there a more viable cg,? or I should stick with this one.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
Guys, I love IC and I try to practice and practice, but I feel like giving up on them. I tr to CG but my timing is off and I try to practice it. I am not sure if I actually got it though.

Should I just play someone else or just keep trying? Because no one I really know plays the Ice Climbers and no one can help me in person.

Please, fellow IC players, I want my hope back. :(

DeLux

I play that at what I've been told is a reasonably high level and I go entire tournaments without being able to chain grab lol

Takun09

Smash Rookie
Not at all. Beating someone without CG feels more rewarding to me Anyways, I mean eventually you will need to learn but for now just stick to learning everything about them first then focus on CG ^_^

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Heya guys, been playing ICs for about a week now and having a mad time. Just a quick question about CGs, is the 2011 CG (P Fthrow -> N Bthrow) still the best option against every character except Lucas? I understand its the hardest CG to learn? It's the only CG i've really been trying to learn due to its tripless nature and the ability to 0 - death but yeah, just wondering if it's still my best bet? and is the 0 - death CGs viable? Even thgough i'm new to brawl myself i've seen/played some of the other local players and landing grabs shouldn't be too much of a hastle :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If you haven't chaingrabbed before that one should be the best option. Personally I use Bthrow -> Dthrow against MK though as I find the 2011 insanely hard on him.

DeLux

Japan (specifically 9B and Kakera in the past) have also been using a variation of N Dthrow > P Bthrow. They have their pros and cons, but whatever is most consistent is best.

I just am tired of seeing Vinnie seeming to trip every grab, like it's absurd lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think the common opinion these days is that IC doesn't need secondaries. Most stage lists are conservative so ICs don't have crap stages and they don't have bad MUs.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Really, hmmmm... Something new I learned. I was thinking because I s*ck @ the falco and marth MU, that I
Needed a secondary. But thanks for the reply... I'll stick to Solo IC.

-DR3W-

Smash Champion
NNID
DrewTheAsher
Really, hmmmm... Something new I learned. I was thinking because I s*ck @ the falco and marth MU, that I
Needed a secondary. But thanks for the reply... I'll stick to Solo IC.
That's what everyone should do.

Face your problems instead of avoiding.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
What are some important things ( AT's etc ) an IC player should know aside from the CG, Desyncs and hobbling?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
The single most important thing is to be able to keep Nana alive and how to save her if you get separated. If that happens, you are now stuck with a crappy character.

Ice Grabbers

Smash Rookie
Been playing ICs for a while, figured it's high time I made an account here. Hi all!

I also wanted to ask, I've been having trouble mastering the Popo b-throw to Nana d-throw on a number of lightweights. I can do some (like Oli and Kirby), but others (like zss, puff and even mk) really seem to give me a lot of trouble on the b-throw part and I can't really seem to figure out why. Any tips as to why this is happening and how to fix it?

dettadeus

Smash Lord
The Bthrow is really fast for lighter characters, so you have less of a window between the throw input and the grab input. Once you get it down once or twice it should be pretty easy.

Starting with Popo Dthrow > Nana Dthrow > Popo Bthrow > etc helps me get the initial spacing down a lot.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Been playing ICs for a while, figured it's high time I made an account here. Hi all!

I also wanted to ask, I've been having trouble mastering the Popo b-throw to Nana d-throw on a number of lightweights. I can do some (like Oli and Kirby), but others (like zss, puff and even mk) really seem to give me a lot of trouble on the b-throw part and I can't really seem to figure out why. Any tips as to why this is happening and how to fix it?
Probably your waiting too long before u hit the grab button or your hitting the grab button and initiating the throw at the same time. What you have to do is throw before you grab, but as soon as you throw immediately grab. I practiced that with G&W - and it became effective for all the light weights. It took me 6 hours to get it down, but hey it all comes down to training. Work on it soon you'll be doing it flawlessly.

Aside from that what is IC's best OOS option in general and when faced by MK's dsmash?

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Probably your waiting too long before u hit the grab button or your hitting the grab button and initiating the throw at the same time. What you have to do is throw before you grab, but as soon as you throw immediately grab. I practiced that with G&W - and it became effective for all the light weights. It took me 6 hours to get it down, but hey it all comes down to training. Work on it soon you'll be doing it flawlessly.

Aside from that what is IC's best OOS option in general and when faced by MK's dsmash?
U-air OOS.
Shield drop LD1.
U-smash OOS.
Shield drop dash grab. (Lux, how long does this take? Like 15 frames or so, plus any frames spent running?)

We talked about MKs dsmash somewhere else on the forums about five days ago, go looking. I'm lazy.

Twigz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. By the way I'm not sure what LD1 is.... Care to enlighten me? And erm yea I'll take a look thanks.

Top Bottom