• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Game & Watch Match-up Export Thread Directory

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Zelda's F-smash is safe on shields. Especially G&W's.

Her D-tilt probably is viable out of shield (if G&W spaces wrong). And it's gay.

Up-air and U-smash beat D-air if I recall....not that they will ever land on a competent G&W from that position though. He DIs away too fast.

Those are the only real things that annoy G&W IMO.

Also, the things I mentioned that annoy G&W assume he approaches, which he might not even need to if the Zelda is scared of using Din's Fire (not worth it in this matchup).

Aside from a few annoying things Zelda has on G&W, G&W has some pretty massive advantages over her. Zelda is a character that is very bad at dealing with G&W's juggling. Offstage she is weak, while G&W is incredibly lethal. Aside from an unlikely Up-air against G&W's D-air, G&W isn't usually threatened by Zelda's air game.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Did not know dtilt set up for that ****. How often do most Zelda's use DSmash?
whenever you get too close.

it outspeeds your Dsmash,... in fact, it's the fastest Dsmash in the game (tied with sheik's and ROB's) so it's a very nice defensive tool.

it's also one of her most reliable finishers if it's fresh. Expect to see lots of it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not very easy for Zelda to keep her D-smash fresh. And the range isn't all that amazing, so it can be outspaced.

Metaknight's D-smash has more knockback than Zelda's, but with good DI and Bucket Braking, it's quite possible for G&W to survive it at 140-150%.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Yeah, unfortunately, it's not very easy for Zelda to keep her D-smash fresh. And the range isn't all that amazing, so it can be outspaced.

Metaknight's D-smash has more knockback than Zelda's, but with good DI and Bucket Braking, it's quite possible for G&W to survive it at 140-150%.
Zelda's is harder to DI, comes out faster and has more range than you're giving it credit for.... but, yeah, it's not as impressive as MK's overall, though it's close.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hey don't get me wrong, Zelda's D-smash is REALLY good. I mean crazy good and definitely one of the best D-smashes in the game.

It's just not enough to really make Zelda that much of a threat to G&W.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Hey don't get me wrong, Zelda's D-smash is REALLY good. I mean crazy good and definitely one of the best D-smashes in the game.

It's just not enough to really make Zelda that much of a threat to G&W.
Did I insinuate that it would?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
"Expect to see lots of her D-smash"

Yeah. I really don't think so in this matchup.

Personally me, I'd be using Zelda's F-smash a lot in this matchup. A G&W that misspaces an aerial could probably be punished by a F-smash (which I think has a little more range). It's safe on his shield too moreover.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
"Expect to see lots of her D-smash"

Yeah. I really don't think so in this matchup.

Personally me, I'd be using Zelda's F-smash a lot in this matchup. A G&W that misspaces an aerial could probably be punished by a F-smash (which I think has a little more range). It's safe on his shield too moreover.
no.. you'll definitely see a lot of zelda's Dsmash. you'll see a lot of zelda's Fsmash too I suppose. but if she's not using Dsmash a lot, then you're never that close to her. it's the best punishment against a lot of G&W's aerials if she sheilds them. it prevenets the Dsmash follow up from a key for example.

so, yes, expect to see a lot of Dsmash.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
But what would sheik and zelda combined be? If Sheik can rack up the damage and safely turn to Zelda - could this work out?

I don't dual main as much as I should, so... I really don't know what the implications could be =?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
alright, i've been away for a few days, but i'll start reading over the discussions and stat throwing together some write ups. i think im looking at 6/4 for sheik and 7/3 for zelda, as mentioned by cutter, they seem reasonable.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
even zelda/sheik combined is a disadvantage. no better than 55:45 but no worse than 60:40

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
Sheik: (6/4)

General Matchup:
  • Sheik is one of the faster characters in the game, boasting a lot of quick startup on many of her attacks. Keep in mind that if you don't keep your weakpoints covered, she will be able to weave her way in to land attacks.
  • Her main priority lies in her needles/chain, which are the only attacks that im aware of that directly cut through gw's disjointed hitboxes. She has a good amount of range on some moves such as ftilt, dtilt, up air, bair, uptilt, etc, so keep that in mind.
  • Sheik will find herself killing with only a few moves. The best is the upsmash, which can be boosted. Other kill moves are up b, upair, dsmash, fsmash, and to lesser extents, bair, and fair.
  • Her edgeguarding game will likely have to be brought down to needles and edgehogs to fairs. Her other attacks don't have the priority to interrupt gw.
  • Gw's edgeguarding will be the usual, fairs, bacon, up b's, ff'd nairs etc. but keep in mind that if you hold the edge out, you can usually get a free aerial ledge hopped, like in melee.
  • Sheik is excellent at combo'ing. Her ftilt can lock many character, gw being no exception. When this move is decayed it combo's even better, even into upsmashes which can be dangerous. Ftilts can also combo into aerials as well. Sheik also has a few locks, such as bair, and i think jab as well.
  • Sheik can be hit by the dthrow to dsmash if no tech happens, and her rolls are only slightly better than average, so a good amount of tech chasing can certainly happen. Keep in mind she has poor moves from above, so nair and up air chains should be easy enough to pull off.

General Strategies:
  • Needle camping will be pretty prevalent in this matchup. Since gw has no answer for these projectiles, you'll simply have to avoid them, and this also allows sheik to play the defensive game in this match. However, gw's exceptional hitboxes make it easy enough to approach. Just expect to be avoiding a lot of needles.
  • The chain in theory could shut your aerials down, however bacon can put an end to this as well. Keep in mind that the chain is difficult and cumbersome to use, so it won't be used that often.
  • This matchup comes down to gw out prioritizing sheik everywhere, and sheik needing to run around with needles and look for openings to start combo's. Keep using your up b to escape combo's and the kill moves should be just as difficult for them to land.
  • Also, they can switch to zelda to land kills easier, so if they knock you away at mid percents with a dsmash/bair etc they can switch and then look to land a kill.

Stages:
  • Any stage where tough recovering is needed. The usuals like RC, FO, etc will work nicely.
  • They will likely go to either halberd (which can be risky for them) or to a neutral. There really isn't any particular stage you should avoid.

Zelda: (7/3)

General Matchup:
  • Zelda is excellent at pressuring with projectiles and having difficult to deal with defensive styles. Smashes and din's fire can be difficult to deal with for most characters.
  • Zelda has quite a few moves that can counter some of gw's approaches. Upsmash and upair both will beat gw's key. Ftilt, when spaced perfectly can beat the turtle, although is very difficult to do and has to be in just the right position. Din's fire will also beat gw's moveset, but shouldn't be used too much against gw.
  • She has a pretty decent amount of kill moves under her belt. Fsmash, Upsmash, Fair, Bair, Upair, uptilt are all very good and the dsmash and dair can be pretty useful at times too. Try not to be caught close to her at high percents, many of these moves have lingering hitboxes or are pretty quick.
  • Her edgeguarding potential is almost zero. She normally uses din's fire, but she doesn't want to take that risk against gw. She can still hog and try to aerial you on your landing lag, but she has no way to force you into that situation, so it shouldn't happen too often.
  • Zelda can be somewhat tricky to edgeguard. If you hog it does force her to go on the stage, but often times its too far to punish. And since she has a hitbox coming out of the up b, it can be hard to hit her out of the lag as well. Use your best judgement with bacon, and aerials to keep her off the stage.
  • Zelda isn't too much of a combo character, however you do need to watch out for the dtilt. At mid percents they can chain together, and when you start to di out, they can hit you with a dsmash at around 50, an up tilt at around 80 or so, and an up smash at even higher percents, which can all hurt.
  • Zelda has a good roll, buffered or teched. So only dthrow once in a while when you suspect they won't expect it and not tech. Up throwing works fine, she doesn't have a lot of downward priority or range, just watch for up b attempts to make it to the ground.

General Strategies:
  • If you need to, force her to approach. She isn't used to doing this against most characters, since the din's fire works so well as a defensive move. Her approach game isn't very good, and stationary hitboxes from yourself like sh in place bairs or simply dtilts will be difficult for her to work around.
  • Take care if you decide to approach her. Never get caught in dsmash range, and expect a lot of upsmash and forward smash as these moves can be difficult to punish. If you watch your spacing you should be able to win when approaching.
  • If needed, they are certainly capable of switching to sheik, to rack up damage to around 60-70ish range, and then switch back and look for oppourtunities to dtilt lock into an uptilt or upsmash, keep this in mind.
  • This matchup is rated so heavily in gw's favor due to her inability to approach gw, and that she can't deal with his pressure all that well, due to either poor speed or not enough range.

Stages:
  • More of the usual. RC, FO are good choices. Maybe avoid halberd depending on your playstyle, she is good at killing upwards too.
  • She will likely opt for a neutral, i would probably avoid fd of all the neutrals.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
Oh geez were to begin, I'd say maybe 35:65 GaW.

GaW is one of Peach's harder if not hardest match up. Peach doesnt have much going for her in this match. GaW beats her in almost everything. You guys can Up B out of our Dair combos, you have very strong smash attacks, can survive very long etc.

Okay now to explain. GaW's Bair is annoying and has nice priority. It's not indestructable but can put Peach under pressure especially if she has her sheild up. You're Nair is a great damage racker and your Uair refreshes your moves and stalls us at the same time. GaW is VERY hard to kill with Peach obviously because of his Bucket cancel thing. You'll be able to survive to rdiculous percents when fighting her. Our only chance to kill you is either by lucky gimps or by Usmash. However it's extremelly hard to find yourself in a situation to land it unfortunately. Your smash attacks are to be feared. Dsmash when tipped is an extremelly powerful move, his Fsmash and Usmash are extremelly powerful as well. For stages I would pick big stages were Peach cant kill you in. Avoid stages like Green Greens that have short blast zones. Um... I'll add more later I need to go soon.

Okay what you should watch out for for Peach is:
-Fairs that're autocanceled
They can lead to grabs, jabs, etc.

-Bombs, Stitches, other items
Bombs will kill you more than likely even if you Bucket canel, stitchfaces are a nice 41% damage that Peach doesnt have to do if it hits right, I dont know about Swords, and Mr. Saturns though.

-Racket thats sweetspotted
Very unpredictable, you WILL die from this if you're over 70% lol

Umm I'll add more later, I only know what GaW hurts Peach, not the other way around lol. I hope I dont make my fellow Peachy friends mad by dissing her like this lol.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
**** Gdubs :(

- Up-B all peachy attempts at combos so I usually just do dair into nair since that's rly quick.

- Those smashes are ******** strong + peach is floaty and lightweight

- Bucket Cancel...and killing is peach's main problem. Not only that usmash kills will be unlikely coz of the dair, so we'll almost always settle for the utilt which def won't kill u but does beat the key. Oh, and y'kno, Gdubs can reliably edgeguard Peach and try to go for a kill but peach isn't gonna be doing any gimping at all.

- Peach is floaty so even though her aerials are good she's still rly vulnerable in the air so lots of Gdubs aerial juggles.

- Nothing Peach has beats bair except for toad so y'kno, using ur double jumps wisely can bait the toad at times so yea...toad isn't rly that **** reliable vs. gdubs imo although it will work a lot of the time.

at any rate expect a lot of turnips i guess and peach trying to outspace dubs. oh and if u happen to catch one just keep in mind you guys have a retardly long glide toss so free approach to a possible smash kill .

I'm sure there's more but I'm tired of typing so...Rainbow Cruise is really gay so that will probably get banned. Frigate is not as gay but meh, every little bit helps right? Personally though I like fighting gdubs on Lylat coz of the platforms. it really tempts gdubs to key gives me a lot of chances to utilt it and utilt can also kill decently well on that stage. Maybe I'm ******** or sumtin but I don't mind handling dubs on battlefield either.

65:35 Gdubs favor. ;o

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
This is probably the matchup I have the most experience in lately.

G&W is Peach's worst matchup, with only arguably Metaknight in the same category. I'm torn between 65:35 and 60:40- Peach has no absolutely horrifying matchups like some other characters do- but I think 65:35 is probably the most accurate number.

Despite G&W's lightness, he can actually kill Peach at a lighter percent than she kills him at because she has trouble killing. Just avoid the usmash.

He can up-B out of all of Peach's combos and stop almost all of her normal tricks. She can't edgeguard him at all, can't combo him, and can't land kill moves very well. Peach has to simply outspace the G&W and rack up little hits- at the very least, glide tossing gives Peach a spacing advantage.

Bair crushes Peach's float, and Dair messes up a lot of her strategies. It's definitely an ugly matchup, but not unwinnable.

Watch my recent videos vs Valdens for a good view of a Peach vs a G&W where both players know the matchup well.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/301848.html for my win
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He9rnbIJdW0&feature=related for his win

My vid has cooler music if I do say so myself :p
- Nothing Peach has beats bair except for toad so y'kno, using ur double jumps wisely can bait the toad at times so yea...toad isn't rly that **** reliable vs. gdubs imo although it will work a lot of the time.
Not entirely true. Actually, if the bair is spaced in a certain way, it'll block all the toad spores and hit Peach anyway. Also, ftilt beats bair from a certain angle, but the G&W can space high to make that impossible.

Umm I'll add more later, I only know what GaW hurts Peach, not the other way around lol. I hope I dont make my fellow Peachy friends mad by dissing her like this lol.
Character boards that minimize their own bad matchups and failings out of pride are fail. You're doing us proud :)

Tero.

Smash Champion
lol thank you guys.
actually you said almost everything, I don't feel like repeating stuff so i'll leave it and don't write anything.

65:35 is ok.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda stuff
seems good to me. As a zelda main I can agree with all this. Zelda can hit like a tonne of bricks so don't get cocky against her, but game and watch has the tools to keep her in check.... furthermore, he's the ONLY one with those tools. so feel proud, and make use of them

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@Peach players, never do an aerial approach when he charges Up-smash.

I'm 99% certain it will hit you out of your D-air easily. And it kills at like 60% so yeah.

Peach is one of those characters who can actually avoid G&W's D-air edgeguard.... Up-B has more range than D-air. Just sayin.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hey, what stages would you Peach players normally CP if you lost the first neutral?

What stages would you strike in a strikeout system?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
when I play peach I hate lylat personally. pick yoshi's, battlefield, delfino or smashville.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Green Greens or Battlefield.

Battlefield allows me to force the angle of your bair approach so that I can ftilt it, and I can utilt you through the platforms. Great defensive stage.

Green Greens allows me to kill you at absurdly low percentages, utilt you through platforms which are too high for you to key me through, refresh my moves by attacking the blocks so that I can kill you at even lower percentages than usual, and be safe from your smashes fighting near the bombs (causing you to risk killing yourself if you Dsmash me).

I might look into Lylat or Castle Siege as well. I two-stocked Valdens on Castle Siege last time...

I'm 99% certain it will hit you out of your D-air easily. And it kills at like 60% so yeah.
I had a G&W kill me through my ftilt with usmash the other day on WiFi. It was odd.

Also, post #1337!!!

Tero.

Smash Champion
If GaW hits you with a smash on Green Greens ... bye bye Peach
I wouldn't consider this a really good counterpick stage.
But yeah you can also kill him at lower % ...

nvm lol

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Hmm, the refreshing moves thing seems like it would be a great thing for Peach, is that part of the reason you might like Castle Siege?

Yea, his u-smash does that. A lot. =B

cutter

Smash Champion
Green Greens allows me to kill you at absurdly low percentages, utilt you through platforms which are too high for you to key me through, refresh my moves by attacking the blocks so that I can kill you at even lower percentages than usual, and be safe from your smashes fighting near the bombs (causing you to risk killing yourself if you Dsmash me).
It seems to me taking a glass cannon character to a stage with ridiculously small blastzones is very, VERY risky. Yes, you're going to be able to kill GW sooner, but Peach is going to die even earlier.

GW can also abuse the invincibility on his Up B by going right into the bombs directly. Fun stuff :)

I had a G&W kill me through my ftilt with usmash the other day on WiFi. It was odd.
BOOM HEADSHOT!

Neb

Smash Lord
Also, adding to what cutter said, G&W should seldom be active on the stage wings. His ability to travel under the maps belly, and employ mobile ledge camping, pressures baiting. Because of the priority in his disjointed hitboxes, he'll have an upper hand in zoning. If Peach is on the lateral blast zones, pressing a KO, there is a good chance he's going to combat you from below, and use his land and air game at the center of the stage, where surviving blows are better in his favor.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
It seems to me taking a glass cannon character to a stage with ridiculously small blastzones is very, VERY risky. Yes, you're going to be able to kill GW sooner, but Peach is going to die even earlier.
No, because certain aspects of the stage give her a very strong defensive advantage. The side platforms put G&W at risk of killing himself with his smashes if there are bombs around, and the center area gives Peach a huge advantage if she's underneath.

The bombs also pose a lot more danger to G&W, and Peach being able to keep her moves refreshed is a very large advantage as she normally has trouble killing G&W.

It's a very viable counterpick against G&W.
The neutrals are also viable. Battlefield, and I think someone mentioned Smashville.
How does G&W fair on Yoshi's?

Cutter, I'll play you on Greens if you'd like if we can ever attend a tournament mutually.

Hmm, the refreshing moves thing seems like it would be a great thing for Peach, is that part of the reason you might like Castle Siege?
Yeah, I stall in the air by repeatedly Peach Bombering the statues.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
as a Zelda, I'm very familiar with luigi's mansion.

I don't mind fighting G&W there with peach as long as I'm teching well. I find the ceilings save me more often than they save him. The ceilings also help me combo him.

Tero.

Smash Champion
I've been playing as MK against one of my crew members G&W on that stage (he banned RC) and normally i do freakin well because it's a fukcin mk stage, but i just got ***** there. lol

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Peach is supposed to be absurdly good on Mansion. I wouldn't know, it's banned in WA.
I know she's one of the only characters that I wouldn't take there as a CP as a zelda. and that's saying something; the mansion is Zelda's home and her undisputed best stage.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Peach is supposed to be absurdly good on Mansion. I wouldn't know, it's banned in WA.
I was talking to M2K about Bucket Braking, and he said something like if G&W goes against someone like Peach on something like Luigi's Mansion, yeah, he's RIDICULOUS.

Anyhow, ROB is the most broken character on LM. His laser camping is onstoppable LMAO.

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
Peach: (65/35)

General Matchup:
  • Peach has excellent movement control with her float, very fast cancelling aerials for pressure, turnips to zone with, and a good recovery to keep her alive. Her main weakness is probably her lack of killing ability.
  • Upsmash and uptilt both boast a good amount of priority and range that will beat out the key. Fair has a decent amount of range, but doesn't quite beat the turtle or fair, at best i think it will trade hits. Dair also has a lot of priority, but the neutral air will beat this move as well. On the ground watch out for variations of the forward smash.
  • Her main killing weapons are upsmash, fair, fsmash, and nair. Bair, turnips, upairs, and uptilts can also be a source of kills when fresh/zombie'd however these are much more rare.
  • Her methods of edgeguarding will likely be just tossing turnips as the up b will go through the dair, and any other aerial off the ledge can be very risky. Many moves like the nair should deflect the turnips so just keep an eye out for them.
  • Peach will likely bait moves off the stage with her float to get you to waste your jumps and force you to return to the stage. Make sure your very aggressive off the stage vs her to push her further out. The parasol isn't quite as fast as it was in melee, so that will give you more thinking time. Also dair edgeguards don't work against the parasol.
  • At low percents, peach has some decent combos to look out for. Dthrow to uptilt, if your di is wrong. Dair to nair/upair also works. Keep in mind that when she lands from any aerial on your shield, she can get jabs very fast and they will catch you off guard very often.
  • Peach can buffer out of your dthrow, and her rolls are pretty long so maybe avoid doing dthrows too much. Up airs really hurt peach give how floaty she is, and when she's in her parasol you can come close to keeping her in the up b almost indefinitely.

General Strategies:
  • The trickiest part about fighting peach is how tricky she is with her float. She can bait you into thinking you can hit her, move slightly out of the way, and retaliate easily. This also holds true when she's off the stage as well. My best advice is to move very quickly into her, and be very aggressive.
  • Turnip camping shouldn't be too much trouble, as most of your aerials will neutralize the turnips. However they can tie you up, so watch out if she tries to sneak in during your lag to take care of them. Also if you catch them, use your glide toss to get in her face.
  • For the most part this matchup boils down to a baiting game for peach, and if you can just play aggressive you shouldn't have too many troubles.

Stages:
  • RC, FO, Halberd, delphino im sure are all good choices.
  • Avoid going to japes, which is usually peach's best stage, due to the high ceiling and shallow sides.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
I agree with most of that except the stages section. Peach should avoid JJ completely, his bucket cancel allows him to live to RIDICULOUS percents since the blast zones are so big. Peach will NEVER kill him, like ever. The only way I see GaW dying is by water gimps.

I'd say GG might be better, but I can see GaW doing good here too.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey there GaW boards.

I want to notice that i main Both Characters, sp o have some knowledge. Ill try to give a good explaination.

Fox is generally a fast character, but his priority isn't all the best. GaW's Turtle is a pain for us. We can't force you to approach because you can suck those lasers with yar Bucket. Which leads in your advantage, since Fox has crappy approaches. I'd say, watch out for the Usmash, it kills you VERY early. GaW is 1 of the lightest characters, and eating an Usmash is not what you want to have. Gimping Fox is pretty easy because of his Recoveries. Watch out for Rising Fairs though. A short explaination this time xD I'd say the meatch up is 35:65 for GaW. I'll quote some explainations of our match up thread:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]Emblem Lord-[/COLOR]
Overall G&W has more priority, better ways to control the match and it's much easier for him to take control. And he is much much safer. Anytime Fox approaches he puts himslef in danger and has no good pokes to stay safe.
G&W is so f*ckin safe is should be illegal.
Fox may be able to trade with G&W's Dair with his U-smash, but that's not something you wanna keep going for consistently since due to the range and speed of the bair more then likely G&W will win out. The reason Fox can trade with the bair is because he can run in under G&W's bair and his leg will smash the underside of G&W's body.
This takes alot of precision to pull off and it's not something you would try for often. It's not a reliable answer to G&W's bair. The same can be said of Foxes Bair. It requires precision. G&W can just throw out walls of disjointed lingering hitboxes that Fox must deal with using his mediocre options.
If Fox shields something from G&W he gets nothing for it, if the spacing is good on G&W's attack.
G&W shields something from Fox and even if Fox tries to space then G&W can still just up b then do an aerial or shield drop d-tilt. Two very good options.
Yes, Fox can dash grab. His dash grab that would lose out to G&W's Bair.
Dash to shield would be his best option, but his defensive options out of shield are crap so he can't do much once he gets in. He has u-smash, but it's only one move and G&W can just space himself well to avoid retaliation from that and then up b when he lands from a SH Bair. Dash to shield is better vs G&W's d-tilt. But still overall G&W controls the match
Code:
[COLOR="#ff0000"]Fenrir VII- [/COLOR]
I agree that GW poops on Fox's dair. He's similar to Pit in that way...in that, you should almost disregard using it after a FH. However, GW has only several viable options...in the higher metagame, anyway.He will SH aerial your shield and drift back out of range ala Melee Jiggs.
He will do that and then dtilt your rush in. beating your ground offensive.
As for other ground moves that GW has...honestly, they should never hit a Fox. I understand things happen, and a good player can guess another person out and land it. but in general, they are not good options. Other than that...grab? leads to nothing...at least it shouldn't. dash attack? not so much.
really, that's about it. the entire GW strat in this match
I mean, don't get me wrong. GW is a good character, utilizing just a few of his moves...but when your options are basically limited to approaching with a SH, pillaring a shield and tilting an approach, or the random dair every once in a while. The thought of a character that has the speed and kiilling ability of Fox beating him shouldn't be all that farfetched.
Anyway...getting down to the details. As a Fox player, you know GW has only a few viable options. At that point, you find things that beat those options.
If he is approaching with a SH aerial: If the GW commits to using fishbowl or fair to approach you, it's a free usmash out of shield. yes it hits if the GW is not perfectly spacing. If he is. you shielded a move. The GW's next move will be most likely one of two things: either another SH aerial (jiggs from melee) or a dtilt to beat your rush. At this point, you have a choice. A run shield gets you a guaranteed grab or usmash out of shield, because the GW no longer has perfect spacing. Yes, this does work. Other than that, assuming he doesn't use fishbowl for the second aerial (which happens rarely), you get a dair grab/whatever is comboing at that %.
If he is playing defensively, which will happen quite a bit. He will keep you away with turtle and dtilt, mainly. First of all, Dair beats both of those, if he commits to something. of course, you don't go for the dair all the time, because GW > dair. Secondly, a good shield rush will put a LOT of pressure on GW, causing him to go for something or move away. GW's dodges are retardedly bad, so punishing them is easy. GW players know this, so they will jump away or attack. If they attack, 90% of the time, you can punish.
Let me repeat something I said before. if the GW SH aerials, it is very possible to trade with your usmash. usmash does nearly 20%...and GW starts dying before 90%...do the math. I'm not saying to just spam usmash...but when you can take that big of a step to a stock loss, why would you not take it?
Fox's bair goes through fishbowl and trades with fair.
Again, I say GW has nothing viable from grab. Yes he can dthrow you...but I'm assuming we've all learned to tech here. He can't get a tech chase grab. I believe tech chase usmash works, but he has to guess you out so far that if you are unpredictable in the slightest, you'll be fine.
Somebody mentioned edgeguarding.
Fox's recovery is easy to punish, if the Fox is stupid. I understand that. that's still around from the days of melee...but...if the Fox player knows what he is doing, his recovery becomes one of the most difficult to punish in the game.I know your aerials beat illusion, but why would any fox player illusion into you? Of course this becomes a guessing game, but fox has a LOT of options off the stage.
And yes, it's hard to edgeguard GW. that's true....I just don't really think you need to very much. heh. Fox should NEVER go for the off the stage kill in this match. it's just not worth it. grab the ledge, pull up and punish the turtle/roll-away.
I hope i helped :p

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
GW is really debatably match Fenrir stated most of what I can think of... That dair of your's doesn't beat uair, I'm pretty sure our Uair beats all of your aerials so I wouldn't sugget Dairing from really high up. Yes a good Fox should never be hit by GW's ground attacks.... I really can't think of much more. Usmash kill at like 60%-70% for Fox =D

Neb

Smash Lord
70:25. A lot of what Fenrir said is cluttered, inaccurate, and or easily avoided. I'm pretty sure one of the other G&W mains will piece apart his argument, I on the other hand am too lazy to.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
70:25. A lot of what Fenrir said is cluttered, inaccurate, and or easily avoided. I'm pretty sure one of the other G&W mains will piece apart his argument, I on the other hand am too lazy to.
You really shouldn't say that unless you're willing to bring facts and prove him wrong.

Top Bottom