• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Bones0

Smash Legend
Well the controller in question, since I picked up Melee again recently, is a Mad Katz I bought when I was eighteen. That was like...uhh let me do some math...8 years ago.

I feel like I'm in some telemarketer's office when I play, the clicking and clacking is thunderous frankly rofl.

It's color is a milky white with blue grips, I guess that's bad heh. I'd always prefer the controller that came with the gamecube, but of course it is now lost.

As for the stick well, I broke it in but it doesn't help. The buttons depress like an inch before actions happen.
There are absolutely no third party controllers worth their salt for the GameCube. Or let me rephrase that, there are none worth their salt for MELEE. I'm sure Mad Catz and other brands work fine for Super Mario Sunshine, but Melee is so demanding on the controllers that third party controllers will literally fall apart between your hands while you play. I recommend looking on Craig's List and finding someone selling their controller. There's almost always people who happen to be going through old stuff and want to sell their old controllers, and even most of the used controllers I've seen work just fine because they've never been used for advanced Melee. Also, make sure you never throw away even partial controllers. You can always scrap parts from old ones to save yourself from having to buy a completely different controller.

Kadano

Magical Express
Buying any controller from nintendo should honestly be fine, though I think the consensus is that black controllers tend to be the best (though maybe I just only talk to people who say that).
It depends on the potentiometer type used (see this thread, section 2.5[/url]). Type 3 is the best, type 2 is good but wears out faster and type 1 is clearly the worst. From my findings and other people’s reports I suspect:
All white controllers have type 3 pots.
Most or all pearl white controllers have type 3 pots.
A good deal (70́%?) of black controllers have type 3.
Few purple controllers have type 3.
Even less, maybe even none of Clear Purple.

Slyer

Smash Cadet
There are absolutely no third party controllers worth their salt for the GameCube. Or let me rephrase that, there are none worth their salt for MELEE. I'm sure Mad Catz and other brands work fine for Super Mario Sunshine, but Melee is so demanding on the controllers that third party controllers will literally fall apart between your hands while you play. I recommend looking on Craig's List and finding someone selling their controller. There's almost always people who happen to be going through old stuff and want to sell their old controllers, and even most of the used controllers I've seen work just fine because they've never been used for advanced Melee. Also, make sure you never throw away even partial controllers. You can always scrap parts from old ones to save yourself from having to buy a completely different controller.
I totally agree with this. I recently acquired a "Chameleon" from the Gamestop up here in the mountains because there was no other choice aside from purchasing a new console to get a genuine Nintendo controller. It is awful, worse than the old Mad Katz. Cheap and new is bad, yet tried and true is awesome for a veteran whose instincts and skill can be unleashed on a controller that has seen use without the punishment of Melee play.

I will search Craig's List. Worst case scenario I'll Amazon a new black.

Thank you all for your wisdom, just wasn't sure someone hadn't come up with a superior controller after all this time. From what I hear here the original is still the best.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Lol kage i never said I john about controllers; I said that as long as the controller has fully functioning inputs I'm satisfied with it.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Right, Toph, I intended to ask you. You mentioned there being a percent range where uthrow > second hit uair combos on Puff (85-100 iirc?). Do you know of a range that exists for Peach like this? I remember Leffen saying a while back that if she hard DI'd the uthrow behind her, it didn't combo at all (assuming she DJ/air dodged accordingly). I'm probably going to try testing this soon anyways (though it's difficult when your city is mostly fraudulent), but nevertheless, I'm curious.

I also find it somewhat funny that there's something that combos Puff, but not Peach. :p

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Right, Toph, I intended to ask you. You mentioned there being a percent range where uthrow > second hit uair combos on Puff (85-100 iirc?). Do you know of a range that exists for Peach like this? I remember Leffen saying a while back that if she hard DI'd the uthrow behind her, it didn't combo at all (assuming she DJ/air dodged accordingly). I'm probably going to try testing this soon anyways (though it's difficult when your city is mostly fraudulent), but nevertheless, I'm curious.

I also find it somewhat funny that there's something that combos Puff, but not Peach. :p
Dude I'm convinced uthrow uair vs peach isn't even guaranteed at all if she DI's (at most higher percents). Seems like her weight class makes it hella hard to hit lol. So no, I'm not sure. Honestly these days my MO vs. Peach is just uthrow, uair them if they're not Bladewise, and if they SDI out then I just treat it as a Peach out of position (i.e. punish her on the way down).

Edit: but yes, there is plenty of stuff that works vs. 97% of Peaches that doesn't actually work on Peach. If you don't live in East Canada, Washington, or Sweden, uthrow uair should work 100% of the time anyway so don't sweat the small stuff.

unknown522

Some guy
Dude I'm convinced uthrow uair vs peach isn't even guaranteed at all if she DI's (at most higher percents). Seems like her weight class makes it hella hard to hit lol. So no, I'm not sure. Honestly these days my MO vs. Peach is just uthrow, uair them if they're not Bladewise, and if they SDI out then I just treat it as a Peach out of position (i.e. punish her on the way down).

Edit: but yes, there is plenty of stuff that works vs. 97% of Peaches that doesn't actually work on Peach. If you don't live in East Canada, Washington, or Sweden, uthrow uair should work 100% of the time anyway so don't sweat the small stuff.
I forget the exact percent it starts to connect. I think It's around 60-70%. I did test it before, but I forgot the exact number

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
"See with your feet" is a reference to Avatar in that you have to read their movements a la Toph because it never true combos.

The more you know~

Moth101

Smash Rookie
I have a horrible time with up-throw up air, a few of the people I smash with mostly play floaties and I just cant seem to reach them a lot of the time before they double jump/airdodge. Any tips on getting faster with this as I watched Mango do it to HBox at NCR and he just gets there so fast. Is this just a play time thing?

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
there are many things that PP, far after being a "top player" was technically incapable of doing. we laugh at him sometimes.

he's currently working on his doubleshines for evo. a few majors ago he was getting his shortens down lol. he's so cute.

exposeeeedddddd

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I have a horrible time with up-throw up air, a few of the people I smash with mostly play floaties and I just cant seem to reach them a lot of the time before they double jump/airdodge. Any tips on getting faster with this as I watched Mango do it to HBox at NCR and he just gets there so fast. Is this just a play time thing?
Funny enough, I got worse at this too, after I took a break from Melee for like, a year. It depends on their DI, which makes the technique slightly different. Slightly.

But for the most part, try and just do it faster. What I like to do to get the double jumps out quick is full jump with the stick then immediately hit X/Y for the second jump. That said, if you do it too quick, you might not reach the height that you need to hit with uair (max height full jump, then double jump uair -- but meh, if you need to get THAT high, chances are they're gonna be able to jump out by then).
http://www.twitch.tv/slayertokey/b/399460316 http://www.twitch.tv/slayertokey/b/399505567 Twitch archives from the smashfest I went to yesterday if anyone wants to critique.

Look for the Fox with the "APSH" tag.

Please keep from giving advice that lies between the lines of "MORE TECHSKILL = YOU GOOD" because I'm trying to improve my game/character knowledge.
Honestly bro, sometimes it looks like you really don't understand what the dash dance is there for. Within the first two matches against Marth, I saw that Marth whiff with F-Smash, Shield Breaker, continuous Dash Attacks (lol), and you never once even looked like you tried to punish it. You see the whiff and go, "Oh cool," and just run away. The whole point of dash dancing is to bait them into attacking and missing, so you have an opening to run in.

Look for openings
See opening
punish

Then learn to *force* openings. That way you don't have to wait for them to make a mistake.

You also need to pressure better. Which kinda goes with forcing openings. This is a little abstract, but what I'm saying is that you need to make your presence known and establish more control, be it stage/space control or whatever.

Also, on Battlefield, after you grab up-throw Marth onto the top platform, you can double jump waveland on the top platform and go from there. Either read the tech and fish for a regrab or scoop him up with uptilt/attack, if he doesn't tech. Or something. It's pretty chill when you can get it. Or can try to double jump uair him from below (either shark it from below or land on the platform doing it. Up to you. Watch for get-up and techs though).

Edit: Watched some more of your videos. Yeah...if you want something tangible to work on, I'd suggest this: when you see someone whiff an attack, try to react to it -- attack or something. Most of the time, you'll be able to get in a hit. Not always -- if the attack is really safe/quick, then they might be able to follow up, but for the most part, you're free to wreck them. Ex: Falcon whiffs Dair. Or Falcon Raptor Boosts your shield 3-4 times in a row. Like, wtf man? PUNISH HIM FOR THAT.

For stage control, try to close in on the space they have and force them to have little to no room to move, that way, it's easier to hit them at their weakest spots. You tend to let them get away with too much, and give them too much freedom of the field.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
I kinda figured that I was playing too passively. I was afraid that if I attempt to punish, they would react to that because I didn't punish quick enough, because that happens to me a lot.

Thanks for the critique though!

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I kinda figured that I was playing to passively. I was afraid that if I attempt to punish, they would react to that because I didn't punish quick enough.
Fair enough. Don't punish if you don't think you can.

That said though, this kinda falls under tech skill; you need to react to these kinds of things faster.

unknown522

Some guy
dude, you shine after everything. Even when you're not close to the opponent. What I mean by that, is that you do like a n-air/b-air/drill and miss, then shine almost every time after that, and that misses too.

also more up moves will improve you game, for defense/offense/tech chasing (especially with platforms). From what I saw, all you do is n-air/b-air/drill/shine/grab (sometimes)

Pengie

Smash Lord
http://www.twitch.tv/slayertokey/b/399460316 http://www.twitch.tv/slayertokey/b/399505567 Twitch archives from the smashfest I went to yesterday if anyone wants to critique.

Look for the Fox with the "APSH" tag.

Please keep from giving advice that lies between the lines of "MORE TECHSKILL = YOU GOOD" because I'm trying to improve my game/character knowledge.
from the first link

1:17- so this is a pretty bad move to do in general. I'm assuming you came down with the back air because you were hoping that the Marth would run into it, but he didn't so you just got grabbed for no reason. On top of that, even if the back air had hit, it could have easily been CC grabbed which would have put you in the same scenario.

Also I notice that your first instinct after your first approach failed seemed to be to jump on the platforms to platform camp Marth which, in general, is a pretty bad idea. I get that the top platform feels like a safe place to be (especially on BF due to how high it is) but being above marth is rarely a good idea becausehe has a sword and an amazing DD which means he has the option of either hitting you back above him as you try to come down or, he can DD grab you as you land if you decide to come down with a move.

1:28- you started lasering for no reason and Marth got in on you. This is pretty bad because Marth shouldn't be able to get in on you that easily and you ended up losing whatever advantage you had gotten from the up-throw -> up-air. After that you went back to the platform game which, as mentioned above, isn't really all that useful against Marth, especially if you're going to keep whiffing aerials on your way down. Had you just come off of the platform and dashed away you wouldn't have gotten hit with the dash attack and you could have possibly baited out the dash attack by DDing and getting a punishment off of it.

1:40- Panic moment; thus far, it seems that you do a lot of moves that don't actually serve any purpose such as the shine that got you forward smashed. Try to have a reason for why you do the moves that you do and if you can't come up with a good reason to do them, then don't do them. This should also keep you from whiffing aerials as you fall because "maybe it'll hit them" isn't a very good reason to do a move.

1:45- I feel like you wasted your invincibility by lasering. especially since you had Marth backed into a corner which is a pretty bad place to be for Marth. A better use of you invincibility would have been trying to capitalize on Marth being in such a bad position by DDing just outside of his range to get him to try to react to your presence and punish him with a nair or grab depending on whether he decides to jump or punish while grounded. You ended up nairing his jump at you which is a really good thing to do, but then you got overzealous and went for a shine-spike that wouldn't work and ended up giving up your positional advantage. Marth's pretty terrible when he's at the ledge so if you ever manage to make Marth grab it, DD in front of the ledge and punish whatever option he decides to use because they're all pretty bad.

1:53- You missed a pretty big punishment opportunity here when he whiffed the dash attack as you were dashing away. A grab here would have been pretty big for closing the gap between you two. When you run full screen and start DDing you could have gotten closer to Marth and engaged him in a footsie battle but you stayed far away from him and decided to just run at him and shine. While this isn't that terrible of an option, I think that it's better to try to force Marth to respond to you being in his space and punishing him for it. You can go about doing this with things like while DDing, dash up to just outside of his max range and WD in place or shield and punish his reaction if he swings.

1:58- This was pretty good: you managed to grab him while he was dashing away near the edge so he didn't have much room to run away from you, but then you don't get much of a punish afterwards.

2:03- again similar scenario to earlier where he whiffs a dash attack but you weren't really looking to punish it so you just kinda jump away from him and give up ground.

2:08- similar to at 1:58, this is pretty good because you he didn't have much room to run away from you so over shooting a bit let's you catch him he runs away. You go for the Marth killer* but he's not really in a good position for you to go for it. If they end up close to the stage and above the edge like in this scenario just grab the ledge and refresh invincibility. I'm not exactly sure what you tried to do out of shield, but it looks like you reacted too late to him grabbing the ledge and ended up losing your stock for it. As far as your recovery goes, you probably could have angled it a bit steeper to avoid the forward smash, but you were in a pretty bad spot to recover from anyway.

*light shield instead of normal shield for the Marth killer.

2:19- you start DDing by the ledge, but then as soon as Marth does something you run away; it seems like you're not very comfortable with DDing and reacting to what you're opponent does because I think that had you been actually looking for Marth to do something you could have grabbed the forward smash and gotten a punish.

2:24- nothing really stood out of this sequence, but I just wanted to bring up that if Marth spot dodges your grab you can shine him out of his spot dodge before he recovers from it.

2:38- ledge hop dair is a pretty bad option for getting off of the ledge, especially if you go so high when you do it. Try looking into practicing ledge dashing because it's way too easy to lose stocks as Fox because you chose a bad option at the ledge.

2:51- you shined a lot for no reason. Marth wasn't anywhere near you and you were pretty lucky that you didn't get killed for one of those shines.

2:53- you get a drill but you end up WDing away from him so you should have recognized that you weren't going to be able to get the grab. This in combination with the fact that you woke up after the nair mashing ends up getting you put off stage where you should have died.

3:02- that was probably the worst possible place to do a full length illusion because if Marth had just shielded you would have been dead. As I said earlier, being able to ledge dash consistently would give you a safe option to get off of the ledge so you wouldn't resort to things like this.

3:08- there was no reason to laser there or to jump on the platform.

3:18- you keep jumping on platforms against Marth and getting punished for it.

3:29- This situation right here is what you want against Marth; you were DDing and he decided to swing so you punished him for it. You used your DD really well in this situation to force a reaction from Marth. You just need to be able to apply a similar mindset to your midstage game against Marth because all the other times you DDed it seemed like you're just aimlessly running around without a concrete idea of what to do or what to look for. Here, however, you seemed pretty aware that you had the advantage and you looked like you were specifically looking for him to do something.

afterwards, however, you just give up all of you positional advantage to laser for no real reason, the you run at him and nair. I'm curious as to why you thought running away to laser seemed like a good idea when you had such a large positional advantage over Marth.

3:38- Marth just whiffed a bunch of moves that go unpunished. This is a recurring thing throughout the match and it's a pretty big deal for this matchup in particular because if you're not punishing Marth for constantly whiffing moves then you probably aren't going to get very many hits on him at all because he beats you in almost every other aspect of the ground game. From the looks of things I'd say that you aren't focusing on looking at the opponent's character and you're looking at your own character instead because, at least from personal experience, whiff punishing is almost impossible in this matchup if you aren't looking at the opponent. If you are looking at the opponent rather than yourself, then I'd suggest working on recognizing when Marth does a move and grabbing him for it because letting him get away with whiffing moves makes this matchup pretty awful imo.

3:45- you start jumping around a lot for no real reason and end up getting grabbed because the Marth followed you and grabbed you as you were landing; this also makes it look like you aren't looking at the opponent, or at least not focusing on them, because you should have been able to recognize that he was chasing you and DJ'd away to avoid getting grabbed.

3:56- you got really carried away and tried to go for a shine spike when he wasn't anywhere near you which put you in a terrible position that left you with no options and you died for it.

So overall, what I noticed was that you seem do lots of things that don't really accomplish anything; that is to say, you have lots of extraneous movement/attacking, that you could get rid of by having concrete reasons for why you do things rather than doing things and hoping that they work, which is the vibe that I got from watching that first match. You also don't seem to be able to recognize when the other player commits to something which is a huge part of Fox's neutral game. You also laser way to much. I guess it can be good in certain situations, but every time you lasered you either gave up a strong position or ended up committing to the lasers and got blown up for it. Your DD also needs work which ties into recognizing when the opponent commits to something because far too often you would have a situation where you could have engaged Marth in footsies and you'd just start jumping around or going on platforms and getting blown up for that.

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Thanks, Pengie. That helped a lot.
Overall, I feel like I'm aggressive in the wrong situations and I'm defensive in the wrong situations.

Also, at 53:51 in the first link, will someone go over what I'm doing wrong in the Falco matchup and what I should be doing? Because that is the matchup that I'm struggling with the most.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Thanks, Pengie. That helped a lot.
Overall, I feel like I'm aggressive in the wrong situations and I'm defensive in the wrong situations.

Also, at 53:51 in the first link, will someone go over what I'm doing wrong in the Falco matchup and what I should be doing? Because that is the matchup that I'm struggling with the most.
I'm not that great at the Falco match-up, so I can't say too much. I noticed at one point after you shined and got him in a knockdown, you ran away. Don't do that. Make sure that you pressure him and read the reaction he'll make. Dash dance or whatever near him. But don't run to the opposite side of the map. I only saw you ran away like this once though, so that's good. Just...make sure it doesn't happen. And get better that the reads after knockdown and stray shine hits.

Try and see if you can get more grabs, as it'll help your game out a good bit more in this match-up. Also, when the guy has 4 stocks, is at 120+ percent, while you're like, at 1 or two stocks...don't down air after a grab --> upthrow. Just up air for the kill.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
holy **** I got 2nd in a norcal tournament yesterday LOL. vidz up later I guess

I lost in GFs cuz I forgot how to DD grab and overshoot :x

also cuz my wakeup shine got baited a lot. I think it's my most glaring habit right now (even though it's sooo good sometimes)

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
woah, good **** toph!

who else was in the tournament (and i guess by extension, who won)?

Bones0

Smash Legend
holy **** I got 2nd in a norcal tournament yesterday LOL. vidz up later I guess

I lost in GFs cuz I forgot how to DD grab and overshoot :x

also cuz my wakeup shine got baited a lot. I think it's my most glaring habit right now (even though it's sooo good sometimes)
Apparently doing commentary makes it easy to get 2nd in Cali tournaments. First Wobbles, now you. lol

I guess that means you have to keep commentating. :D

Top Bottom