• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

MSC

Smash Rookie
To do Fox's SHDL I have a habit of taking my left thumb off the joy stick and using it to press B while I use the other thumb to jump. I use X to jump but with this method I can SHDL consistently and easily but obviously it has some consequences. Is it worth learning a method to SHDL and keep a thumb on the joy stick? At this point it will take a conscious effort to break the habit if need be.

FourStar

Smash Ace
If you're at all interested here are some Fox mains (or faux fox mains at least) that I think any aspiring Fox main can learn a lot from regardless of whether or not they're technical, simplistic, gimpy, or a hybrid. If nothing else look up their videos and you can hopefully learn something from them. (Some of them are older and don't really play that much anymore):

Mango
SFAT
Mew2king
Jman
Javi
Silent Wolf
Eggm
Lovage
PC Chris
Lucky
Colbol
Leffen
Unknown522
ChillinDude829
Cactuar

I'm sure there are plenty of others out there but these are the one's that come immediately to mind. Take a look for yourself and try to learn something from all of them. Good luck to all you Fox mains to be out there!
out of all those guys the only fox i've seen is PC Chris, SFAT, Jman, Lovage, and Mango. I feel the best one i've seen is Pc Chris and Mango. those guys are absolutely crazy with they're combos.....

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Cactuar and colbol are my 2 favorute foxes. They paint a beautiful story through their movement,speed and awkwardness/mindgames.
Plus they play green.

FourStar

Smash Ace
Cactuar and colbol are my 2 favorute foxes. They paint a beautiful story through their movement,speed and awkwardness/mindgames.
Plus they play green.
am i the only one who uses the doesn't use any color fox? cuz i see everyone using green or orange

Loket

Smash Cadet
I thought i was so original when I turnaround waveshine > Utilt lol :(
turnaround waveshine > Utilt > shine > bair in fox dittos is pretty cool

Pengie

Smash Lord
What stages should I strike/ban vs Falco and Sheik?
For those matchups I think you should just get rid of whichever stages you feel uncomfortable on; in other words, I don't think there's any stage that presents an immediate disadvantage in the sense that FD would obviously be bad against Marth or Peach so if you personally don't like certain stages because they mess with our play style those are probably the best ones to get rid of.

Personally, I usually get rid of DL64 because **** that stage >.> I also like small stages, especially against those two, so I'll usually end up getting rid of BF and they'll typically strike FD so a lot of matches typically end up on either Yoshi's or FoD. As I said though I think this will typically come down to preference over anything else so try experimenting on the different stages to see where you feel most comfortable.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
What stages should I strike/ban vs Falco and Sheik?
If your good at power shielding, take falco to FD and start racking up damage with chain grabs, Yoshis is good as well because it gives falco less room to move around.

FD is decent vs shiek because she doesn't have platforms to start a needle>fair>grab combo. Just got to watch out for her tech chases. Pokemon Stadium is good as well because of the low ceiling and no top platform.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Always try to get first strike vs. Falco so you can see if they get rid of FD. I think it's a bad stage for Fox vs. Falco, but so many Fox players are uncomfortable CGing and dealing with lasers without plats that I usually just let them ban it. That just means I get to pick what I think my second-best stage is for game 1. If you strike first, some Falco players will be too afraid of you being good on FD so they will strike it themselves, and then obviously you've just saved yourself from wasting a strike, and you have potentially scared them into banning FD if they win because they won't be sure how much you like it.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think with really good SDI on FD the Fox can milk some kind of slim advantage in terms of heavy punishment because his chain grab can't be SDIed, but the margin for error with Fox for reaping a strong play off a shine is way lower since tech chasing off a knockdown has a lot of factors that work together and he's far more likely to get ***** if he flubs and gets shined himself or such. His other combo starters have the weakness of being weak (dash attack, nair) or prone to inconsistencies because of DI abuse (edgecanceling an u-smash, SDI dair). As a side note, notice how bair never comes up? If only he could bair forwards :x

That said, I think on FD I'd still probably say a controlling Falco probably has the advantage despite Fox's chain grab (and Falco can easily still hit really good combos by modifying his combo tree very slightly vs SDI on certain things and a lot of it has very lenient reaction windows). The advantage he gets in neutral by the lack of platforms for Fox to maneuver around lasers gives him a lot of ways to force Fox into full jumps or to limit his ground movement significantly (PS helps here, but Fox's low range on grab can lead to dumb stuff happening if Falco buffer sidesteps on the grab or shines immediately after being lasered, etc). Fox's so-so priority in front of him is a real problem here because Falco can influence which direction he faces during low movement, and his priority below is soft to Falco's quality bair, u-tilt, and so forth. On that note, jumping into shine with Falco can be super amazing and Falco's shine in pressure on shield is also generally stronger because he can combo off stray shine hits, whereas Fox can't reliably.

I don't think Fox is really that disadvantaged overall, I just think Falco on FD is special and compromises a lot of Fox's best tools in the matchup (from the platforms he can zone with the threat of bair and pretend to be a mini-Peach with a crazy repositioning game, a good DJ, the shine, and an amazing u-smash). To the Europeans in the audience, I apologize if I sound dumb because I admittedly don't know much about Fox's PS and everyone in Europe seems to be able to PS with at least 85% consistency rate. So if I missed the boat and he can actually just pretend to be Marth and dash PS grab into **** as a gimmick so strong it's in actuality a mediocre strategy that adds convenient cohesion to other parts of an anti-laser repertoire then cool.

As a side note, a funny thing I've noticed about Falco is that I always find I consider Falco's hardest (read: even) matchups as the ones where the bird often dies in one hit and doesn't hit the opponent as hard relatively speaking (Sheik, Marth, Peach). Falco's opponent also needs enough range to outplay him in the neutral effectively once his pistol has stopped working. Fox is less good at death comboing Falco at high level than those three and he takes stupid damage from the moves Falco fishes for (shine, u-tilt, dair on grounded opponent, nair on airborne one).

Heero Yuy

#sweg
I'm having a hefty amount of trouble WD'ing with my Fox. Is it just the incorrect timing I'm putting in or should I try lightly tapping the Y button like for a SH?

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I'm having a hefty amount of trouble WD'ing with my Fox. Is it just the incorrect timing I'm putting in or should I try lightly tapping the Y button like for a SH?
Lightly tapping isn't gonna do anything. You have to hit the airdodge input correctly (by that I mean, L/R + direction).

Make sure you're doing it fast enough. As in, before Fox leaves the ground.

If you see yourself pop off the ground for a second before airdodging back down, then your L/R + direction input is too slow. If you see yourself merely jumping up, then your L/R + direction input is too fast (Idk, the timing for a proper wavedash with Fox is kinda fast as is...so I don't think this is the case for most people).

Apasher

King Arthur
Premium
NNID
Apasher
Pressing X/Y and L/R simultaneously helped a lot for me when I first picked up Fox. Try to practice doing that.

Bones0

Smash Legend
You cannot WD by pressing them simultaneously. You have to hard click the L/R trigger right after you leave the ground (3 frames after to be exact). The key is to focus on when you hard click the trigger. A lot of people think that just light pressing it is when techs/airdodges begin, and that messes up their timing because eventually they start pressing the button quicker and start missing techs/wavedashes. Also be sure you are angling your airdodge so that you get the furthest WD possible. Going down at a 45 is fine for starting out, but you will eventually want to angle it higher (but not so high that you can see your airdodge).

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Ledgehop dair and even SH dair are indeed really good for making sure your opponent can't tech your shinespike.
I'm not sure I follow...is it because of the angle that the dair will send characters? Also, I figured it was only good as an edge-guard vs. space animals.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
i feel like fox is a character that is a virtual reality of what the player really is
so mango is mango when he plays and if hes mad he will start going aggro
the person who wants to win more in fox dittos will win

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I am losing hope in this character.
Opposite here. Mango's play at NCR, coupled with all the **** I learned from playing hbox's puff in friendlies, really proved to me that Fox is an incredible incredible character provided he doesn't make a few simple mistakes (the problem is that making mistakes and playing a matchup incorrectly, even for a moment, can be absolutely devastating).

I also want to start thinking more about how double Fox is supposed to operate in teams. I feel like it's such a godlike but also fragile team and I feel like we're all missing something right now.

_wzrd

Smash Journeyman
yeah dude, fox can do it. he's got so many ****ing tools & moves so amazingly. it takes a lot of energy playing this character, mentally & physically, but god damn I think it pays off.

<3 my dude fox, never been so sure of having a main. I love other chars a lot, but god damn when it's clutch time. FOX BAYBAY.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
and bl@ckchris :ganondorf:

but yeah, i wouldn't know what to do if i thought fox wasn't good enough. i'd probably just resign and play street fighter or something.

Top Bottom