• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I really dont have a problem with puff. I used to, for sure, but then I played beiber for hours and hours and learned the MU. Honestly, Bieber is one of the better puffs around despite being relatively unknown and kinda new to the game

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Ty for help..but I needed that help before apex. Darc was in my pool but I got ***** in fox dittos. What should I be looking for when approaching? I'm the Nair fox

:phone:

leffen

Smash Champion
man im still mad at myself... and hack for stealing my controller.

I made some really bad out of game decision at Apex... most importantly playing more P:M than Melee during bracket day (the pm bracket was SUPPOSED to finish day 1), and letting Hack borrow my spare controller which he then didn't give back, so when my controller broke (just keeps holding right q_q) at the tournament I was forced to play with a controller i've never used before.

My controller also broke at Smashers reunion (which is why I had to go falco the entire tournament) which is why I brought a spare this time... only to have it stolen. Never borrowing my controller out ever again.

I also ate too much bad food for my sensitive stomach... after barely losing to hbox I just crashed. I sat on a chair with my eyes closed for more than an hour and just tried to make my stomach pain go away ( I really shouldve been getting comfy with my new controller during this time), and I had to go straight to playing Javi.

I did fine in teams (that was before my controller broke). Sad Ice SD'd twice last game against Mango/DoH... but in the end, this is the second time me/ice has ever teamed, and before this tournament we even had the chance to play friendlies with each other, so I guess we did fine considering. But its still bad by me and Ice to go into the tournament unprepared.

Stupid me. In the end, I'm just gonna do my best to make sure that I learn and improve as much as possible from the events that occurred. I really, really, don't want this to sound as johns, because that's not my intent. I'm gonna practice harder than ever before for Beast 3, EVO, and G3nesis, and I'm gonna win every single event I ****ing attend.

I am, however, considering if its worth it to stick with Fox. Fox is just a terrible ****ing tournament character, especially in PAL. I think its time to face the truth. EVERYTHING speaks for Fox just being a really bad character to single handedly main. I'll probably pick up Falco, Marth or Yoshi as a serious secondary. Maybe Falcon or Puff so I can take my free wins against Armada.

We'll see. Any tips or advice on this is appreciated. What kind of food can I eat during american tournaments? Any particular tips in having controllers break? (aside from just not having ****ing terrible luck)

V3ctorMan

Smash Champion
Leffen, ate a bunch of junk food at 7/11.. Tai, has the pictures I think.. he did go a lil... >.>; yeah a lil insane there.. >>;

:p Play Yoshi leffen ^^

obviously biased/

leffen

Smash Champion
haha that was after. My stomach felt fine after around 10pm, its usually the mornings / mid day that are the worst (no acceptable breakfast being available in america sucks ****)

Maybe I should just wake up at ~6am next time. I'm liking the idea. Don't enter crews, wake up super early, take a walk and find a good breakfast place to eat something at. Definitely gonna try it at my next tournament.

edit: I should also leave home later. I was in gothenburg for around 2 weeks before going to apex, so in total I was away from home almost 3 weeks before apex, during which I ate a ****ton of junk food and didn't exercise at all.

S0FT

Smash Ace
Leffen obviously there were not as many options as cooking for yourself but I was able to spend the whole weekend at apex eating only (somewhat) fresh fruit, brown rice, beans, mixed nuts, and some veggies. I know that isn't the healthiest menu but it is way better then junk food and it was really easy to find.

leffen

Smash Champion
Theres a few points:

1. Being a fox main breaks controllers.
2. Playing Fox on a controller you aren't used is extremely difficult.
3. Fox requires more tech skill practice than any other character except for Yoshi.
4. Fox is the character that's the easiest to SD with. This is not only side B'ing of the ledge, this is not timing your ledgedash frame perfectly (=death), missing a side B shorten with one frame (=death), or just pressing one input wrong and then your opponent puts you off the stage with something unreactable and your previous input now becomes a standing laser, a airdodge offstage, or a fair falling to your doom.

5. EVERYONE knows the Fox matchup. This is his biggest flaw. Almost everyone is a Fox killer at higher levels. Going into a national, you're gonna be facing players with hundred times your experience in the particular matchup you're gonna be playing. Hungrybox, M2K, Axe, Hax, Armada, PP, KK, Shroomed, Wobbles, if you go through this list theres a very high chance of you facing a matchup where as they have played great foxes every single tournament they enter, while you have never played a single X main of their character.

Fox can do great, but you also have a very high chance of just losing to the bracket seeding. That's why you NEED a secondary to be able to consistently do well

@S0ft: Where did you find these? I was looking for fruits and nuts but couldnt find any.

oksas

oak-sauce
your marth was lookin pretty fly in the hotel room sunday night against... axe? i don't remember

S0FT

Smash Ace
There was fruit at the little store across from the venue, there was fruit at the 7/11, and there was fruit and mixed nuts at any of the grocery stores near the venue.

The wrap place down stairs had whole wheat tortilla wraps, brown rice, and beans, and some other stuff.

leffen

Smash Champion
At the BEAST venue we have access to a kitchen, and a grocery store within a one minute walk where I usually buy my breakfast.

Thanks S0ft, thats some very helpful information. I'll check it out next time.

S0FT

Smash Ace
Yeah this is one of the first tournaments where I really focused on my diet throughout the weekend and I think it was the only reason I got 33rd (which is a lot higher then I usually place). So I think eating only junk food definitely does not maximize your tournament performance.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
How do you guys play feel about fox in the morning? :^(

I was in one of those gay pools they switched from 5pm to 10am at apex and i didnt know they switched it till i was checking twitter at like 3am. i just HAPPEN to see it

I ate breakfast took a shower and **** got the the venue and played probs 15 minutes of fox dittos with S1 and then had to play my fist round match vs Shuta (Jappenese Fox)

He won, but it wasnt my best effort. alot of full hops and just safe play on my part led to my downfall. I just really have a problem playing that early in the morning. same problem at FC ( i think FC was pools at like.. 9am or some bull****)

Tips? I feel like this is a problem at every natty I go to

unknown522

Some guy
man im still mad at myself... and hack for stealing my controller.

I made some really bad out of game decision at Apex... most importantly playing more P:M than Melee during bracket day (the pm bracket was SUPPOSED to finish day 1), and letting Hack borrow my spare controller which he then didn't give back, so when my controller broke (just keeps holding right q_q) at the tournament I was forced to play with a controller i've never used before.

My controller also broke at Smashers reunion (which is why I had to go falco the entire tournament) which is why I brought a spare this time... only to have it stolen. Never borrowing my controller out ever again.

I also ate too much bad food for my sensitive stomach... after barely losing to hbox I just crashed. I sat on a chair with my eyes closed for more than an hour and just tried to make my stomach pain go away ( I really shouldve been getting comfy with my new controller during this time), and I had to go straight to playing Javi.

I did fine in teams (that was before my controller broke). Sad Ice SD'd twice last game against Mango/DoH... but in the end, this is the second time me/ice has ever teamed, and before this tournament we even had the chance to play friendlies with each other, so I guess we did fine considering. But its still bad by me and Ice to go into the tournament unprepared.

Stupid me. In the end, I'm just gonna do my best to make sure that I learn and improve as much as possible from the events that occurred. I really, really, don't want this to sound as johns, because that's not my intent. I'm gonna practice harder than ever before for Beast 3, EVO, and G3nesis, and I'm gonna win every single event I ****ing attend.

I am, however, considering if its worth it to stick with Fox. Fox is just a terrible ****ing tournament character, especially in PAL. I think its time to face the truth. EVERYTHING speaks for Fox just being a really bad character to single handedly main. I'll probably pick up Falco, Marth or Yoshi as a serious secondary. Maybe Falcon or Puff so I can take my free wins against Armada.

We'll see. Any tips or advice on this is appreciated. What kind of food can I eat during american tournaments? Any particular tips in having controllers break? (aside from just not having ****ing terrible luck)
careful with what you post; people will say that you're johning, and bring it up months-years later for no reason.

Anyways, fox is fine in tourney. We, the players need to get better. Though some of those points that you mentioned are quite true. But it's hard with every character; Different worlds. It's also hard to switch mains, but a player of your caliber could probably pull it off without spending too much time.

For breakfast, I started bringing oatmeal with me to tourneys (sometimes I didn't eat at all). I think the best I ate was when I went to No Johns in September when hax housed me for the first night, since the eat really healthy there. Just like mixed nuts, fruits, dried fruits, my oatmeal, and then whatever meat I would buy (though the meat was from a diner).

BH2, I spammed Quizno's (not great, but not bad). No sauce on the subs

Apex 2010, and 2012, I mostly had subway. Less so at 2012, because I wanted to try new things.

Edit: RoM5, I had oatmeal in the morning. But I ate pizza like most of the day (which gave europhoria and some others the ****s. I was fine though). And McDonalds once in the night after the tourney ended

For NEC, since Raynex and I chilled at cactuar's place a lot, we went to a Target and bought stuff that we could eat/make for breakfast and kept in in the fridge in the hotel.

Speaking of which, <3 cactuar for the Philly cheesesteak and treating us to the Chinese food. Lol. And just hanging with us all weekend.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Waveshine ***** her if you can land one. On hit it's extremely good and unless she grabs the edge you should get buttloads of damage if you hit one on her. Trouble is, you can't hit confirm a random shine 'cuz the reaction window is tiny. You can hit confirm dairs, but SDI > d-smash or grab by Peach can make that unreliable and actually kill you for trying it. Other aerials can be crouched or present windows for her to counterattack depending on how you place them into her shield, which empowers her shield further. Which is basically the problem of Fox's grab being unreliable - her shield gets buffed really heavily.

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
I think Peaches worst MUs are:
1. Fox
2. Marth
3. C. Falcon
4. Shiek
5. Falco
6. Jiggs (maybe)
The rest of her MUs are good.

Ok, so she is not like Marth in that respect (waveshine).

unknown522

Some guy
For me it's like:

Jiggs = 7-3
Sheik = 65-35
Marth/fox = 6-4 (maybe 65 or marth)
Falcon = 55-45 (maybe 6-4)
Falco = even

Still, the matchup doesn't matter too much for me because I used to use sheik vs peaches above a certain skill level. Also falco vs peach if I lose with fox.

My sheik is bad now cuz I barely use her though

Top Bottom