• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Why don't fox players ever bait the dj->float escape from the uthrow->uair? All you have to do is uthrow->fullhop fastfall then hunt anything they do from there (not very much). The worst I could really see happening is you trade with weak nair as she falls, but you can probably just follow her fall direction with a uair and kill.

I haven't actually tried that (i dont play vs many peaches and the ones I do don't escape my uthrow->uair) but its the same kind of thing I do vs samus and luigi and it works pretty well.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
How do you guys play feel about fox in the morning? :^(

I was in one of those gay pools they switched from 5pm to 10am at apex and i didnt know they switched it till i was checking twitter at like 3am. i just HAPPEN to see it
yeah you got ****ed lol, that sucks

I told shuta his pool got switched as soon as I found out (shuta was in my room).

I'd say that in general you'd know if you had a morning pool and that you had a pretty extraordinary circumstance. in which case you should aim to get to the venue half an hour early to warm up if possible.

Why don't fox players ever bait the dj->float escape from the uthrow->uair? All you have to do is uthrow->fullhop fastfall then hunt anything they do from there (not very much). The worst I could really see happening is you trade with weak nair as she falls, but you can probably just follow her fall direction with a uair and kill.

I haven't actually tried that (i dont play vs many peaches and the ones I do don't escape my uthrow->uair) but its the same kind of thing I do vs samus and luigi and it works pretty well.
idk I do this sometimes lol. it's good

edit: btw fox is good enough yalls trippin. every main of every damn character wants to complain about everything lol.

they do. keep in mind like <10% of ALL the **** foxes do/know is in videos. its hard to remember everything you should have integrated into your game, let alone for each match up. so even that should be taken into consideration for what you see in videos.

and btw peachs would never try to fall with a nair like that lol. the better thing to do is to bait the DI back by holding her for a second, then run a bit before jumping and catch her out of the beginning of her dj. this is situational in terms of % but reliable nonetheless. other than this you would really need to work to mind game in a uair as shes coming down

Toph said:
edit: btw fox is good enough yalls trippin. every main of every damn character wants to complain about everything lol.
nah he sucks lol.

really tho, he doesnt. people just suck with him. when they do what they want hes pretty coo

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
How many foxes mess with oki combos (pseudo combos)? I hope I'm using the term right...

For example, you hit the opponent and rush towards them. If they have a few actionable frames before you'd get there, they then have to predict whether or not you will actually continue the attack. They can nair/fair/etc to beat your attack, but if you simply wait you will get another hit for free. A lot of these situations are well known at this point (like after a nair string) but a lot of them aren't (such as after a bthrow on awkward DI). I like to try these types of things in friendlies, and occasionally I break them out in tournament. Its a really effective way to put someone on tilt.

Bones0

Smash Legend
man im still mad at myself...
I'm mad at you too. You were supposed to beat Hbox, or at least Javi. They were both so close. Also, idk how you felt about the chants, but I will just say I think you earned the respect of a lot of people by the end of the weekend. Definitely keep going hard for next time. You should stick with Fox, but use Yoshi for those weird matchups you mentioned. Yoshi's weirdness trumps every other character's, so I honestly believe you could Theory Bros. your way through a lot of the high tier character users (Axe, Shroomed, Wobbles), and it may be useful for certain players or specific cps mid-set in coordination with your Fox.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
How many foxes mess with oki combos (pseudo combos)? I hope I'm using the term right...

For example, you hit the opponent and rush towards them. If they have a few actionable frames before you'd get there, they then have to predict whether or not you will actually continue the attack. They can nair/fair/etc to beat your attack, but if you simply wait you will get another hit for free. A lot of these situations are well known at this point (like after a nair string) but a lot of them aren't (such as after a bthrow on awkward DI). I like to try these types of things in friendlies, and occasionally I break them out in tournament. Its a really effective way to put someone on tilt.
lol so pretty much waiting for them to do something?

well okay then

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
nah he sucks lol.

really tho, he doesnt. people just suck with him. when they do what they want hes pretty coo
I mean even if fox wasn't the best character, he's still obviously top tier (i.e. good enough to not have to pick up secondaries to support him unless you really want to play those characters)/good enough not to whine about lol. Viewtiful Joe won a marvel tournament, Fox can win a melee one.

Ayyo oscar were you the guy who posted this Returnof4eva Theme Song on facebook a while back? this song is bumpin

Volvagia

Smash Apprentice
You can grab it, but when you throw it, it stays frozen.

:phone:
That sounds like the same glitch that happened to Armada and Kounotori in a match before Apex. It still has a hitbox, right? Each time you grab the turnip the grabbox or whatever it's called (the hitbox for grabs) becomes larger. It was pretty cool seeing both players grabbing the turnip from anyplace at Yoshi's story after a while.

unknown522

Some guy
I've seen it happen when Raynex was playing wife in R3 pools at pound 4. I started creating hype for no reason.

There's also a vid of....correct me if I'm wrong...Ryoko vs Magus where it happens with a stitchface I think

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
I've seen it happen when Raynex was playing wife in R3 pools at pound 4. I started creating hype for no reason.

There's also a vid of....correct me if I'm wrong...Ryoko vs Magus where it happens with a stitchface I think

Yeah, I saw that video. But the thing is, this happened to me twice in 2 months.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Despite the results at apex, foxes introduced some new technology in the metagame. Good stuff.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
man im still mad at myself... and hack for stealing my controller.

I made some really bad out of game decision at Apex... most importantly playing more P:M than Melee during bracket day (the pm bracket was SUPPOSED to finish day 1), and letting Hack borrow my spare controller which he then didn't give back, so when my controller broke (just keeps holding right q_q) at the tournament I was forced to play with a controller i've never used before.

My controller also broke at Smashers reunion (which is why I had to go falco the entire tournament) which is why I brought a spare this time... only to have it stolen. Never borrowing my controller out ever again.

I also ate too much bad food for my sensitive stomach... after barely losing to hbox I just crashed. I sat on a chair with my eyes closed for more than an hour and just tried to make my stomach pain go away ( I really shouldve been getting comfy with my new controller during this time), and I had to go straight to playing Javi.

I did fine in teams (that was before my controller broke). Sad Ice SD'd twice last game against Mango/DoH... but in the end, this is the second time me/ice has ever teamed, and before this tournament we even had the chance to play friendlies with each other, so I guess we did fine considering. But its still bad by me and Ice to go into the tournament unprepared.

Stupid me. In the end, I'm just gonna do my best to make sure that I learn and improve as much as possible from the events that occurred. I really, really, don't want this to sound as johns, because that's not my intent. I'm gonna practice harder than ever before for Beast 3, EVO, and G3nesis, and I'm gonna win every single event I ****ing attend.

I am, however, considering if its worth it to stick with Fox. Fox is just a terrible ****ing tournament character, especially in PAL. I think its time to face the truth. EVERYTHING speaks for Fox just being a really bad character to single handedly main. I'll probably pick up Falco, Marth or Yoshi as a serious secondary. Maybe Falcon or Puff so I can take my free wins against Armada.

We'll see. Any tips or advice on this is appreciated. What kind of food can I eat during american tournaments? Any particular tips in having controllers break? (aside from just not having ****ing terrible luck)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Despite the results at apex, foxes introduced some new technology in the metagame. Good stuff.
Good Foxes have been grabbing forever. Just because medium Foxes do it too now just means that a sizable chunk of people understand that grabbing leads to winning rather than just good people.

If anything I feel the thing to take away from APEX 2013 is that the basic strategies and foundations of the character are by far the most important things to excel at.

Gea

Smash Master
Alright so the turnip glitch being talked about involves two glitches. The grabbing extension is one glitch you can do with any turnips, even non-stuck ones. If I recall that one is done by regrabbing the turnip over and over, and each time it will increase the catch distance by 2X.

Whatever makes that work also works on a frozen turnip, which is a known glitch for all items. There was a thread about this a few years ago, but nothing conclusive was ever determined. It seems like it happens on 1.00 versions of the game and requires your opponent to do specific things to trigger it.

What was old becomes new once more.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Good Foxes have been grabbing forever. Just because medium Foxes do it too now just means that a sizable chunk of people understand that grabbing leads to winning rather than just good people.

If anything I feel the thing to take away from APEX 2013 is that the basic strategies and foundations of the character are by far the most important things to excel at.
Also, not side-Bing off stage.

I don't even think I did. Except that dope side b fakeout. Or the swag laser shine hog bair edge guard I got on armada before he 3 stocked me B)

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
I don't even think I did. Except that dope side b fakeout. Or the swag laser shine hog bair edge guard I got on armada before he 3 stocked me B)

LOL I didn't see that **** vs armada but apparently zhu saw it and he described it to me in great detail yesterday.

Sounded swag

Silent wolf exposed. Game 2 vs kk

dont think you know what "exposed" means lol

man that side-b was such a heartbreaker

Exeggutorr

Smash Cadet
I've been having trouble with dash ->Usmash and I've been told about foxtrotting, but i find it easier to wavedash out of dash and Usmash out of that. Is there any disadvantages to this?

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
So I'm practicing with fox now, and I was wondering what are the good uses for his shine jump-cancel?

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
So I'm practicing with fox now, and I was wondering what are the good uses for his shine jump-cancel?
Quick shine spikes (allows you to get back to the stage and go for another spike to gimp characters like Peach, who have to be shine spiked multiple times). Also, you can shine-jump to follow up with a bair or other aerial. Tapping up and Z at the same time out of shine allows you to mix up your grab game by grabbing out of shine.

unknown522

Some guy
LOL I didn't see that **** vs armada but apparently zhu saw it and he described it to me in great detail yesterday.

Sounded swag

dont think you know what "exposed" means lol

man that side-b was such a heartbreaker
Yes. I hate that the words "exposed" and "fake" have been brought to the boards. Most people don't even know what it means in Ebonics.

Man, I used to say those words a lot with my group of friends when I was like 8 years old.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I've been having trouble with dash ->Usmash and I've been told about foxtrotting, but i find it easier to wavedash out of dash and Usmash out of that. Is there any disadvantages to this?
Slower, less control. If it works for you, do it. Don't fix it if it aint broken.

Top Bottom