• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
I find sh uair to be practically doable when they go straight up when they are around 30% after the throw. At around 20% or so after the throw utilt starts being good. Before that I think regrab and usmash are your only consistent good options. Uthrow -> shine -> techchase stuff can lead to better rewards due to suprise factor, but of course they aren't as reliable.

unknown522

Some guy
CG and up-smash are you only reliable follows from like 0-15%

If there's a platform then you get u-air -> more

I do some complicated stuff at low percents to attempt cheese.

:phone:

Van.

Smash Ace
I need major help. What do I do vs puff? I have 0 experience. I plan to laser run and bait. Any tips on stages?

Don't play Fox vs. Puff if you have 0 exp. You'll lose by falling for cheesy rest setups that you aren't conditioned to prevent yet. Pick Sheik or marth, don't spam grab and be patient. That's your best bet imho.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
It's not like Puff's movement patterns are like ... Luigi or something
All she has is 5 jumps

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
If I up-throw spacies on around 0 to 20 percent, whats the best option? I usually Up-smash, but is something else like, better? (Up-tilt, SH Uair etc.)
Be a pro and shine them after U-throw, then shine them again/U-smash when they hit the ground and miss their tech like noobs.

Geez

Smash Cadet
I have not been on this in a min cause I keep gettin banned for not bring jman even tho this is me lol

I wish all my fox brothers good luck and brake a leg out there at Apex

Tero.

Smash Champion
fd yoshis good
dreamland fountain bad

thats all i got for ya
I'd say BF is worst and Stadium is the best.
tbqh all I do vs Puff is laser laser laser grab uthrow uair and try to not get gimped or rested

GG

I used to play puff for years so I know the MU pretty good tho :S

Bones0

Smash Legend
Van got the ban? Damn, man.

Good sidebets, Lovage. Almost felt bad about winning my $5 back from Mango losing... Almost. ;D

Probably never betting against Shroomed ever again. Best Doc main almost beats the three best Sheik mains in a row? 2gud

el chupacabra

Smash Rookie
Ok, so I probably won't be a tournament player anytime soon, But I'd like to fairly proficient. When I play, I pretty much beat everybody I know, but I know a tournament player would crush me. I'm interested in learning fox, because he will take time to get down the techs.....how should I start?

el chupacabra

Smash Rookie
Ok.

I can dash dance pretty well, but am unsure as to how to actually incorporate it into my game

same things for wavedash. I figured it out, but I can't just do it effectively. I think I just need to practice it a bunch more till it becomes second nature....

And do you mean short hop? Oh, what I REALLY have a hard time with is shuffling....just cant seem to do it...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ok.

I can dash dance pretty well, but am unsure as to how to actually incorporate it into my game

same things for wavedash. I figured it out, but I can't just do it effectively. I think I just need to practice it a bunch more till it becomes second nature....

And do you mean short hop? Oh, what I REALLY have a hard time with is shuffling....just cant seem to do it...
If you can't incorporate it effectively, you're only doing the motion and not really using it. I consider that below "pretty well". Ditto for WD.

I meant jump as in SH, FJ, and all the things you can do with either. Because you're Fox, add DJ and waveland as options too since they're amazing.

Movement breakdown:

WD is resetting your DD launch point and moving back an incremental spacing (while retaining access to your entire moveset, which is more of a big deal for characters who are heavily dependent on normals like Sheik and Samus but it's still useful with Fox). It's also good OOS because it's half the time of a roll. Has shine > WD combo utility and allows for follows or chases. WD forward and down take finesse to use correctly.

DD is amazing because it's amazing. You threaten but still can move back. You retain your grab and jump options (important offensively & defensively), shield, and so forth. All your good moves, basically. So it's amazing for that reason.

Jump is amazing because you're a space animal and can evade things with FJ and fall on them or just get the jump with a faster action if they're caught off guard and so forth. You complete actions from jump quickly because you're a FFer. It's amazing.

Run is good because dash cancel into whole ground moveset and you can do anything involving jump or shield out of it. However, the fact that you need to run forward for so long is limiting at times. Dash cancel shine is available here though which is kind of useful. Run > dash cancel > DD is also a reasonable way to reset your DD's launch point.

voorhese

Smash Master
Does anyone have any advice on fixing a sudden drop in control? It happened a little bit after I picked up the ic's my control dropped significantly, like random full hops/double jumps (the double jumps I cannot explain at all, it happens when I go to fast fall sometimes =/) it MAY be controller even?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I would advise against blaming the controller. I mean, we all think it sometimes, but it is more useful to worry about what you can control: yourself (or buy a new controller...)

Just go practice a bit, bro. You're the technical fiend, wtf is going on?

Also, whens the next time you'll be in the chi area? I dont think we've played in years besides like 2stocks in that FC crew battle haha

voorhese

Smash Master
Well if it would be my controller I would just have someone crack it open and clean it. I am going to sweet. U going?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
most likely not. I posted in chicagoland melee, but i dont have money to pay for gas. Only way i'd be able to go is if there was a car with a spot nobody is filling and the driver didn't mind. So, doubtful haha

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
PoC?

I'm just finishing school. Quit my job to focus on my studies (hard math classes + busy work schedule = not functional sveeter mccrumbs). This semester and next semester, then im DONEEONEONE. Hopefully i'll get a summer internship so i can have a little muns

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Yeah i just play cause its fun. I like to play with people, but generally they have to come to the chicago area for me to have the opportunity.

smopup

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone, I posted this earlier but it drowned beneath all the Apex hype. I'm really looking for some help with the Marth match up, and would love it if anyone could critique my general play. Here's a GF set between the region's best player and I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EdyelL47F8&list=FLzsGcvq2ak3S2mQ7l1g8lhg#t=04m00s

One thing I noticed when watching it again was that I got clipped by Marth's side B quite a lot. What's the most effective DI when getting hit by the initial strikes?

RyeJew

Smash Journeyman
Well if it would be my controller I would just have someone crack it open and clean it. I am going to sweet. U going?
If ya ain't got it 'fixed'/the issue sorted out by sweet, I'll be having a triwing+phillips and some cleaning supplies on me the day of the tourney as a precaution for myself that you can use. Or if you come up sooner I'll be around.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I need major help. What do I do vs puff? I have 0 experience. I plan to laser run and bait. Any tips on stages?

Be good at up throw > up air

Most noob-Puffs shield grab a lot so knock them down with shine and then tech chase grab into the above

Shield > WD / jump is amazing vs her Bair wall

If you realize you screwed up then slam the stick left or right to avoid u-throw rest

Bair under her in a variety of ways

FJ Nair or Bair around poorly spaced aerials

Make her fall on u-tilt at low percent to mid if you can

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero

Random thing that I find useful for pressuring Puff after she SH bairs is to wavedash out of shield into any SHFFL'd aerial. It's not a direct punish per se, she should be able to shield in time. But I think it's a decent way of turning the tables as it were.

If you're feeling daring you can challenge Puff's bair with your own bairs. Full hop retreating bair and SH bair in place/retreating will often trade with and sometimes beat out Puff's bairs.

Overall though, I feel that the best way to dealing with Puff is knowing where she can go once she "commits" to being in the air. As Peepee always brings up, she has really good horizontal aerial mobility but not good vertical mobility, so if you can get under her it should be easy to blow her up.

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
at low percents when puffs are setting up an aerial wall of sorts. I like running in and CC a bair/fair and upsmashing/grab upthrow up air.

also jab to JC upsmash.

when they are off stage wait and shine when they predictably pound. great thing about fox is most of the time 2 shines will kill almost every character.

just some gimmicks to finish her off

Top Bottom