• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I can't get shine-->side B to work on luigi in training mode. Do you shine, jump, side B, or shine, WD, side B? How close to perfect do you have to be?
I was doing grounded doubleshines when I missed, so pretty darn fast

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
What should I do after I shined Marth? Usually I do Down-tilt or Nair but it does not always connect.
And what is Fox's approach other than Nair or JC Grab? And how do I laser Marth without getting punished for it? I always get combo'd consistently but this is probably the knowledge I lack.
You're playing PAL so he falls down. Your down-tilt or nair shouldn't connect after that, so you need to go for a tech chase after. I know your skill is still pretty lacking, but usually a good option is to run up to them with shield, they can't get-up attack, and rolling is punishable (often).

Fox's approach isn't always the same. JC grab isn't an approach at all. You laser Marth by staying out of his zone and not do more than 1 SHDL in a row. Don't laser while he is in wavedash -> fsmash range.
Your approach should consist of forcing him to commit to a move, like F-air, and then try to punish his landing with a grab possibly.

Yes, I know the matchup is lame but I'll make it easier for you, what would you do if you aren't capable of grabbing him?
Keep playing and practicing until you CAN get a grab off. Grabs on Marth are very important and good, so you can't just omit them from your game.

Stijn

Smash Cadet
You're playing PAL so he falls down. Your down-tilt or nair shouldn't connect after that, so you need to go for a tech chase after. I know your skill is still pretty lacking, but usually a good option is to run up to them with shield, they can't get-up attack, and rolling is punishable (often).

Fox's approach isn't always the same. JC grab isn't an approach at all. You laser Marth by staying out of his zone and not do more than 1 SHDL in a row. Don't laser while he is in wavedash -> fsmash range.
Your approach should consist of forcing him to commit to a move, like F-air, and then try to punish his landing with a grab possibly.

Keep playing and practicing until you CAN get a grab off. Grabs on Marth are very important and good, so you can't just omit them from your game.
Thanks, I'll work on it, by the way, is U-air the only option after Up-throw?

Bones0

Smash Legend
Sounds like you need to just watch a bunch of vids, bud. They will answer all your questions. Watch Zgetto (god damn that Fox is sexy).

voorhese

Smash Master
Well maybe it is for you since you're probably trying random things to get out of shield pressure..

It really isnt rps
Yeah welcome to the conversation, if you wanna do call-outs I have one too.

I beat you in pools last time we played.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Yes, I know the matchup is lame but I'll make it easier for you, what would you do if you aren't capable of grabbing him?
if marth's playing in a way that you're 100% incapable of grabbing him, he's inevitably going to be making himself more vulnerable to other aggressive options.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Uncle kevin how do I train my mentality properly?
Depends on how you think. I will say though, that thinking incessantly about Melee, how to solve what issues lie in front of you in your own way is one of the biggest keys to success. Doesn't matter what anyone tells you if you can't put it into your own understanding and add it to your own improvement process.

Ask yourself what your goal is in a match, and what you want to use your character to do to achieve that goal. Maybe ask how you can player your character optimally to achieve any goal in any situation in any matchup. Did that work? Maybe somewhat, but that's just part of my process, and not what will work for everyone. I can only tell you things I do or things I've heard, so you're much better off getting started and then seeing exactly where you get stuck before asking questions and bringing in other perspectives.

Bones0

Smash Legend
99% of mental problems (in any part of life, not just Melee) are solved by pure repetition. I used to have horrible focus in-game and was easily distracted by people talking in the background and stuff, but I just kept telling myself every stock to focus, focus, focus, and eventually my brain started listening.

bolt.

Smash Ace
now that we've heard bones0 opinion on shield pressure lets get strawhats

@strawhats
black steve
namesearchsteve
black sleeve
the blackest man alive
Looooooool you forgot

black santa
black flea
black stallion

and for good measure
mew2king
he probably name searches that more often than his names.
<3 steve

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
99% of mental problems (in any part of life, not just Melee) are solved by pure repetition. I used to have horrible focus in-game and was easily distracted by people talking in the background and stuff, but I just kept telling myself every stock to focus, focus, focus, and eventually my brain started listening.
i've gotten better at focusing during tournament matches, but i'm considering bringing an MP3 player with me to the next tournament

i'm incapable of studying and doing homework unless i'm surrounded by absolute silence or unless i'm able to isolate myself (mentally speaking) via headphones or earplugs.

i mean, even though i've been able to willpower my way through this far in my smash career, i feel like my ability to do academic things is (to some degree) related to my ability to play smash and it wouldn't hurt to test

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
i've gotten better at focusing during tournament matches, but i'm considering bringing an MP3 player with me to the next tournament

i'm incapable of studying and doing homework unless i'm surrounded by absolute silence or unless i'm able to isolate myself (mentally speaking) via headphones or earplugs.

i mean, even though i've been able to willpower my way through this far in my smash career, i feel like my ability to do academic things is (to some degree) related to my ability to play smash and it wouldn't hurt to test
It's worth a try. Vish apparently played with headphones at our last tournament (I wasn't there) and took Otto to game 5 last stock. Said he thought it helped him focus I think.

Machiavelli

Smash Apprentice
After playing with some good people for like the second time ever this weekend, I noticed I had no idea what to do in a few "get off me" kind of situations: getting cg's, tech-chased, and pressured (especially by Falco).

What is some good advice for getting out of these situations and getting some space or back to a neutral position as fox, or as a new player.

Not that it matters I guess also but this is $wag/Ian going with this account now.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
yeah tai..i'm like that too and I think my skill level drops about 30% if there is talking going on. I never study with noise around me either...so it's really hard to focus without a headset.

If you can't block it out when studying then I don't think you are going to be able to block it out well enough to perform your best while playing smash either

Bones0

Smash Legend
Yeah, I've been thinking about using headphones myself, but I've noticed it can be just as distracting. I will probably try it next tournament and stick to only lyricless music for the first time, or for a match where I am confident I will win, I will try playing with lyrical music to see if it distracts me.

voorhese

Smash Master
I do listen to music occasionally, I am not quite sure if I prefer it yet. I want it to help me, but I have not really seen an extremely positive result yet. I too use lyric-less music, but I use ****ty headphones. If I had music/noise canceling it may be better.

L__

Smash Master
You and me together
Through the days and nights
I don't worry 'cause
Everything's gonna be alright
People keep talking
They can say what they like
But all I know is
Everything's gonna be alright
No one, no one, no one
Can get in the way of what I'm feeling
No one, no one, no one
Can get in the way of what I feel for you, you, you
Can get in the way of what I feel
I know some people search the world
To find something like what we have
I know people will try, try to divide something so real
So till the end of time, I'm telling you that in the world

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
I cannot for the life of me play without hearing the hit sounds of Melee. Earplugs/headphones do not help me whatsoever. I don't even KNOW why I need the sounds.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
After playing with some good people for like the second time ever this weekend, I noticed I had no idea what to do in a few "get off me" kind of situations: getting cg's, tech-chased, and pressured (especially by Falco).

What is some good advice for getting out of these situations and getting some space or back to a neutral position as fox, or as a new player.

Not that it matters I guess also but this is $wag/Ian going with this account now.
Try not to get grabbed, especially with fox because that could bring on a lot of damage for fox. Mix up your techs too, if they are just straight up grabbing you out of your techs you can not tech for instance, but be wary of that. Just always mix it up. For Falco pressure I would DI away onto a platform, but then again once a Falco gets a shine that's guaranteed damage.

But hey what do i know, that's just what I would do.

It's worth a try. Vish apparently played with headphones at our last tournament (I wasn't there) and took Otto to game 5 last stock. Said he thought it helped him focus I think.
vish is a lucky ***** and i ***** him hella bad game 5 to let him know he was flukin

or maybe that was the tournament before. either way i always let vish take me to game 5 lol

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
just bought 38 dollars of noise cancellation..i decided that headphones aren't good enough..next tourney i will have enough noise cancellation to drown out a jet.

probably everyone thinks i'm being crazy..but i remember at least two times in tournament where I saw mahone lose a stock because he was distracted by someone in the audience, and I have lost a match because of it before (a pools match so it didn't matter since we were both going to get out, but still)...so I have had enough of the distractions. It's hard enough focusing when you don't have to process people's words while playing.

Sure it doesn't matter when there is a large skill gap, but I want to have a good match if I'm playing someone better than me

giovannig22311

Smash Journeyman
okay so imma start playing fox for my secondry, so i looked up fox on youtube and popped up
PERFECT DARK a combo VIDEO? and i watched it and that guys tech skill was so crazy i was wondering who is this guy?I mean i dont see him at any major tournements i only kno good foxes like mango jman etc.. if anyone can answer that i would apperciate it =)

Top Bottom