• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Well I created a lot of tricks to actually attack the fox or falco and shut down his options instead of just hoping to hit with a fair or upair. There's ways to counter attack on reaction I'm very comfortable with any matchup now because of this. With more experience, I feel like I can see everything.
Can you give us some examples?

Im having trouble counter attacking characters.

G

genkaku

When mango edgeguards he does this odd stickywalk-turnaround thing that I've never seen before. What exactly is he doing?

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Well I created a lot of tricks to actually attack the fox or falco and shut down his options instead of just hoping to hit with a fair or upair. There's ways to counter attack on reaction I'm very comfortable with any matchup now because of this. With more experience, I feel like I can see everything.
Don't lie to us!

voorhese

Smash Master
When mango edgeguards he does this odd stickywalk-turnaround thing that I've never seen before. What exactly is he doing?
a moonwalk to the edge? with spacies you have to walk first, so i can see where you would get "sticky walk" from

JPOBS

Smash Hero
also, I think it's pretty unlikely that people would DI that combo properly for awhile because they wouldn't recognize they've been grabbed before you uthrow (who the **** predicts that?).
If you can grab your opponent, upthrow them (with no di), shine waveland, regrab and upthrow again, and they STILL aren't DI'ing in some way, then they probably suck hard at this game. Its not so much that they would be expecting a regrab, but anyone worth their salt should be anti-combo DI'ing after a few (if not 1) hits because well, they don't wanna get ****ed up. At the very least they should be survival DI'ing out of fear of something worst, which in this case would work in your favour cuz they would di back towards the centre of the platform which is begging for destruction.

I kinda got the ganon matchup down pat. wavedash oos if ganon pressures you with his slaps. Pressuring ganon from above will remove most of his options. Double shine after a nair.
being above ganon for any meaningful perod of time is a terrible idea.

being fancy mostly.

but he does use it a ton to stickywalk->DJ offstage to make them think he's gona cover the high recovery option so they fastfall and try to recover low, but he just DJ's back on stage and ***** their low attempt anyway

if you mean how he's doing it, idk how to moonwalk/stickywalk lol

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
if you grab fox/falco at about 80% and they don't DI cant you just kill them with a charged usmash?

i mean. just sayin.

moonwalking is pointless but cute. you do it with fox by walking forwards as fast as you can, then you jam your stick the opposite direction and do a half-circle down REALLY FAST. that's what mango's doing.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Can you give us some examples?

Im having trouble counter attacking characters.
It's basically a combination of perfect spacing with reaction time. It's impossible to be taught, it comes with experience. Like if you see a Fox SH nair coming, you can backjump fair or if you face away, jump on top of fox and dair. And also it's not good to fight Fox point blank either.

I played Bam in 2 MMs yesterday one vs Falco and one vs Fox. I hated the Fox one more because I was leading and then I failed to keep the center and I get double shined into shine edgeguard and die at like 45% about, so gay lol. I lost both but the score was 3-2, 3-2. All the 10 games were last hit to win. So many clutch wins, I love melee.. it was super intense. I def wish it was recorded.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
yo so I'm finding some more new fox stuff, usefulness not quality guaranteed
on fastfallers you can uthrow fair and use your momentum to get the second hit and pull them with you, kind of like a slow dair. It leads to grab or shine. It's kinda difficult to hit until you see the spacing where it works, it's pretty tight.
Not really that useful but interesting and possibly applicable to certain situations.

I've got a question. When you approach with drill and you hit (either shield or hitstun) but land out of shine range, what are the best options? I've been using ftilt angled up to catch jumps/tap shields. What else is good?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I've got a question. When you approach with drill and you hit (either shield or hitstun) but land out of shine range, what are the best options? I've been using ftilt angled up to catch jumps/tap shields. What else is good?
grab and turn around uptilt. Or another aerial

Brookman

Smash Hero
So I have the opportunity to go down to Wallingford and play with Jman, eggm, swiftbass, and some other talented players but the weather is so nice out I'm probably just gona hang out with my girlfriend all day :]

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
then just up throw into a uair if they di off the platform
When you're at the edge of a platform and your opponent d.i.s uthrow away, you don't have enough room to run and jump. You'll fall short and miss your aerial.

If you can grab your opponent, upthrow them (with no di), shine waveland, regrab and upthrow again, and they STILL aren't DI'ing in some way, then they probably suck hard at this game. Its not so much that they would be expecting a regrab, but anyone worth their salt should be anti-combo DI'ing after a few (if not 1) hits because well, they don't wanna get ****ed up. At the very least they should be survival DI'ing out of fear of something worst, which in this case would work in your favour cuz they would di back towards the centre of the platform which is begging for destruction.
co-signed

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I'm talking about a dair spaced so far the utilt won't reach them. I thought about grab but I'd only try it on hardcore shield campers

JPOBS

Smash Hero
turnaround uptilt should still reach if your quick

and iirc dair->grab psuedo combos on most chars by virtue of them not having a fast enough way out. except i think spacies can shine first.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
It true combos on every character if done correctly. Characters with 1 frame moves have the ability to punish you if you mess up, that's all. Once a spaced dair connects grab is probably the best option. You will grab anything they do that's not an invincible defensive buffer or frame 1 attack. Contrary to popular belief, dair -> jab isn't all that bad here. Most players won't be holding down in this situation.

This whole thing is so similar to opponent's d.i.ing Fox's dair. The one difference being that the last hit usually misses. This makes it so that they come out of hitstun sooner and can sometimes grab before you can. Kinda gay, I know.

If dair comboed into dtilt, we'd have have good damage / combo potential at any dair range. sigh

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
I'm talking about a dair spaced so far the utilt won't reach them. I thought about grab but I'd only try it on hardcore shield campers
best thing to do here is spam empty short hops and mindgame them and let their shield deteriorate on its own ;)

*sigh*?? Fox is bull**** with his shine already, he doesn't need more options! lol.

I wish Ganon had a float *sigh* I mean he does fly in Ocarina of time right?
but flying =/= float =(

Brookman

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTcgtLRGAmk&feature=feedu
What should I do/shouldn't I do please? (I know my fox is pretty bad)
Your tech skill seemed alright in general (not referring to multishines). Basically, you could afford to fool around less. This falcon played pretty spot-on with his tech chasing and combos so. Just focus on what you were doing when he was able to grab/hit you. I'll maybe go more in depth later. Can you explain the beginning of the match?

4:29 = major edge guard choking.

So, basically, try to fsmash a little less and up tilt a little more, polish your mobility a little more (you get stuck in shines a few times), work on your tech chasing. Your fox looks pretty standard - whether this is a good or bad thing is up to you XD.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
it seems like whenever i'm chasing down my opponent through techchases and such, that if they have enough time to react out of it, they'll always spotdodge when they see me run in, knowing i'm not gonna aerial since i'm running directly to them. so instead, i try and dashdance to bait the spotdoge

should i bait and expect them to dodge and go in right after the first bait without seeing what they do ? or should i be using my bait to catch their mistake and punish afterwards? i feel that they can spotdodge and get away if i try and wait to see their reaction.

Brookman

Smash Hero
you should do whatever is appropriate in that instant. If you have some preconceived notion about how things are going to go you will always lose out when they work out differently. Nair's continuous hit box is really useful vs. spot dodge and shield.

theory vs. action.

It REALLY depends on whether they tech into their shield. If they are blocking try to force a roll/dodge/shield grab with dash dance pressure. Otherwise, get a good read on how quickly your opponent will jump out of shield and try to nair as their shield drops.

If they don't tech into their shield then you have to watch for way too many actions to make a dodge assumption.

AshuRawRun

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advices, I'll work on it and I'd like a more in depth analyze if you got enough time, for the firsts seconds of the match we were talking so we weren't attacking lol

Brookman

Smash Hero
Down AIR is such a bad move.

OMG. SMASH DI MAKES DOWN AIR WORSE THAN MARIO'S DOWN TILT.

Also, I feel like this hasn't been addressed in nearly 10 years so: C-stick is for noobs.

Thanks for the advices, I'll work on it and I'd like a more in depth analyze if you got enough time, for the firsts seconds of the match we were talking so we weren't attacking lol
You should post your own analysis of the matches and I can better assist you from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3yEYLvTtQo

Palpi

Smash Hero
If you are double jumping and falling with a dair or doing it from the ledge, it is mad easy to sdi, but a quick SHFF dair, or a late one, is much harder to SDI. People act like top players never get dair->shined =/

But in all seriousness...

If falco SDI's up he can avoid the thunders combo....right? If so, what do I do. My friend does it and I usually just double jab to **** up his timing, but I can't really continue the combo.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
If you are double jumping and falling with a dair or doing it from the ledge, it is mad easy to sdi, but a quick SHFF dair, or a late one, is much harder to SDI. People act like top players never get dair->shined =/

But in all seriousness...

If falco SDI's up he can avoid the thunders combo....right? If so, what do I do. My friend does it and I usually just double jab to **** up his timing, but I can't really continue the combo.
The falco i was facing SDI up about 90% of the time last night. So i just mixed it up with uthrow>usmash.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
it seems like whenever i'm chasing down my opponent through techchases and such, that if they have enough time to react out of it, they'll always spotdodge when they see me run in, knowing i'm not gonna aerial since i'm running directly to them. so instead, i try and dashdance to bait the spotdoge

should i bait and expect them to dodge and go in right after the first bait without seeing what they do ? or should i be using my bait to catch their mistake and punish afterwards? i feel that they can spotdodge and get away if i try and wait to see their reaction.
trahh:

this is a bad question. it's a bad question because you're basically saying, "i have a read on one (or more) of my opponents but i don't utilize it. should i assume all players play this way and make this a standard part of my repertoire?"

what you should do is:
against the opponents you have noticed do this, just run in and charge an usmash or DD bait or whatever since you know that's what they do in that situation.

against other opponents do something safer and figure out what they do and then youll have a read to use on them. just DD and dont assume they'll spot dodge; then, if they do, next time go for whatever after one DD, and if they do somethign else punish that instead.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Sinji, I don't you understood my question. I would waveshine the falco, and jab him for the thunders combo, but he SDI's the jab so it doesn't reset him. What do I do?

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Sinji, I don't you understood my question. I would waveshine the falco, and jab him for the thunders combo, but he SDI's the jab so it doesn't reset him. What do I do?
If it's at higher percents, you can dtilt or dash attack out of your wavedash, or even ftilt if its kinda close to the edge

If it's at lower percents, well... depends how you got the shine. If it was a dair -> shine, you could substitute dair -> grab instead. Ditto with nair, though it's somewhat riskier because they could CC it. If it was a running shine you can shine usmash.

Top Bottom