• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Uffe

Smash Hero
Other than the FD combos and platform tech chases can Ness actually do anything to Fox?

His neutral game looks horrible vs Fox, especially a camping one.
Usually it's Fox's uair and u-smash that really get to me. I told my friend to try and put in more shines and edge guards. Anyway, do you suggest I just watch some Ness videos or something?

Brookman

Smash Hero
late nair>Jab>fadeback shine-nair>jab>{dtilt}>wait and react

If I had to guess, I would say he meant to type: late nair > jab > shine > sh nair drift back (space away from the shield grab)

Also, nothing is really 'safe' on shield. It's a matter of conditioning/knowledge of what you can and can't get away with vs. who ever you're playing against.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I'm a Ness main who fights a Fox main on a regular basis. I know this is a Fox advice topic, but I was hoping maybe I can get a few pointers from you guys against Fox. Any advice for what I can do about Fox? I do techniques and he doesn't, which makes me a bit upset with myself whenever I fight him, because it makes me wonder why I even bother using techs in the first place. Sometimes he'll get into the fight and I can manage to win against him. But when he starts to camp the heck out of me, I have problems winning. I used to be able to at least 3 stock him, but now it's either I win or he wins. Any tips for what Ness can do against Fox?
I use ness as a secondary, I often times lose to fox. If you know how to cancel your second jump and drop down fast you can combo him with a uthrow>uair.

For a edge gaurd, you can dtilt which will force fox to firefox upwards. Then you can wavedash backwards>powerup bat to be safe.

Try watching some toasty vids and learn the matchup.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
last week (whenever I was talking about wavelanding out of airborne shines).

HERE IS A GOOD EXAMPLE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVkgagxKdu0&t=1m48s

This shine could be wavelanded out of providing a great follow up.

double jumping is a waste of life, since the shine is only going to do ~5%? TEST IT OUT. You have to air dodge the frame after you input jump to not gain height.
LMAO! It's finally up. That's my friend playing. God...XD

get this ****ing gayness out of my beloved fox boards right this instant please

Lol where'd this clip come from?

I don't mean wavelanding to the platform, I mean wavelanding to the ground as opponsed to doublejumping. I will have to record a vid of this or something cause the concept seems to be escaping everyone.
I see potential, but I'm not fully convinced; usually wouldn't you be too high? Not ridiculously high up, but high enough so that when you dj to waveland, you'd do an awkward airdodge/barely-hit-the-ground waveland?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lovage what about thunders with double jab? or is that even more susceptible to SDI?

Also, after playing I.B. for hours today and a few days ago, I've come to the conclusion that running shine vs marth as an approach is incredibly mediocre (oxymoron lulz)

Having to put yourself so far into their space almost entirely unprotected is silly and begging to get *****. thats how i feel anyway.

unknown522

Some guy
^ YES!

but imadh is such a beast. We played last week, but unfortunately for him, I wasn't messing up much that day. But then I was getting ****ed up in falco dittos toward the end of the night.

He went to london for this weekend?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ya he did. and lol i was getting bodied hard in falco dittos at first but i started to pick it up.

lmfao tho "unfortunately for him i wasnt messing up" this guy! the great ryan ford.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
lovage what about thunders with double jab? or is that even more susceptible to SDI?
i am definitely not as technical/knowledgeable as lovage, but in my experience double jab is more susceptible, not less, to SDI. i've had my opponent pop up from double jab thunders more often than single jab - and i suspect they weren't even SDI'ing. i think the second jab hit is stronger than the first

Lovage

Smash Hero
i thought it's more susceptible to SDI, but now i'm not 100% sure, i honestly havn't noticed that much of a difference

i'll know in time tho, tryna play smash more over the next few months

edit: i mostly use double jab thunders when i can because it does more damage (sometimes really important in continuing the rest of your combo) and doesn't push them off any edges cuz it makes them stand straight up.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I shffl out of shines with the analogue. I'm building my speed with the y button tho and might just switch back to that.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i think its commonly accepted that the anolog stick can suck my ****
real talk

also brookman i dont like how aerial shine -> waveland sounds against sliding characters because they'll just **** you up (unless its like link or some bs), but it might be solid against characters who fall. give you more opportunities to tech chase.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Later tonight I will check and see if u can SDI thunders from like 0-low percents consistently in AR. and prob test that thing Brookman was talkin about.

X is better for jumping
late nair>Jab>fadeback shine-nair>jab>{dtilt}>wait and react

If I had to guess, I would say he meant to type: late nair > jab > shine > sh nair drift back (space away from the shield grab)

Also, nothing is really 'safe' on shield. It's a matter of conditioning/knowledge of what you can and can't get away with vs. who ever you're playing against.

Yea, same difference. If I aerial directly out of shine I call them shine-nairs/fairs/bairs...if I nair and then shine> sh nair shine etc I call those nair shines.

but it looks hella tight imo. If they shield grab they can grab u as u jab..but not on reaction...they shouldnt be shield grabbing really anyway. The jab is at max range, u can also Ftilt after the jab which is at max range, and then dtilt at max range. All are outside of shield grab ranges as long as then dont grab at the same time as your attack. If they are then u are in a perfect position to punish the missed grabs.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
so im bored as **** anybody want to know anything about fox

also im about to change my fox outfit red is getting kinda wack lmao

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Dashdance until the marth does something stupid. Grab it. Otherwise shoot lasers. (beats falcomist in 4 minutes)

Oh wait, thats how the fox ditto works too =PPPPP

AZenith

Smash Apprentice
@the more technical foxes

What did you practice specifically to get your improve your tech skill / speed with fox, when you practicing alone, not against a human opponent.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I feel like spacies are the only 2 characters where you kinda have to go SF4 training mode style to practice techniques but at the same time.. you still need actual opponents to see what techniques are actually more efficient..

M3RC

Smash Apprentice
How does the invisible shine work? I saw it done pretty extensively in Darks combo vid but have no idea how it works.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
jman how do you handle the marth matchup?

how gay are fox dittos if both people want to win really badly?
vs marth its dashdance a lot lasers run around a lot just try to get in there head.. also dont let the marth trap u at the ledge by the ledge.. o yea and shild a lot it ***** marth..

vs fox my fav match up i dont think they gay at all but if both players r playing like m2k it gets kinda boring

but i might go green fox 4 now on we will see

Top Bottom