• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Palpi

Smash Hero
I usually dair grab if I am right above them. Sometimes I will slightly overshoot the SH dair so I would have to turn around to grab, then utilt could still connect.

I do it on falco's at around 70-100% because if the utilt connects, I can get a bair or uair.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
w.e floats your boat u[ have to try new **** thats what makes fox fox cause he can do a lot of stuff

but what i would say is better is dair garb dair shine just cause its eazyer to do

i mustly sticks with what works 4 me like 100% of the time

but anyway do all u guys no about the late short hop nair its like my fav thing with fox

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
i use it like 80% of the time when i nair

its like short hop and right be4 u land nair yea u can use it for combo pressure all kind of things

but u already no about it so 4get it lol

Palpi

Smash Hero
pisseddddd. :)

I am pretty sure mango and pp do that with falco. A late nair or dair, with falco, to a shine fade away quick dair or nair. Very safe on shields.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
yea mango does it a lot with falco..

i stole the nair fade back away and do it with fox pretty ****ing good not gonna lie

MacD

Banned via Administration
TRY CAMPING ME ON YOSHI'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i normally strike dreamland and battlefield against fox :grin:

@ jman do you like stadium or dreamland more against peach? or does it just depend on how the first match goes?

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I mean Stadium is basically Dreamland with a lower ceiling and no top platform and dumb transformations

Both are awesome if you want to camp

Also Stadium gives you illusion from the edge -> edgecancel on the platform
Dreamland gives you better Firefox angles to sweetspot from below

EC_Joey

Smash Lord
Jman what's your mindset for stage counterpicking the top/high tier characters? Fox, Falco, Peach, Sheik, Jiggs, Marth, Falcon.

For example, do you always ban Brinstar if Brinstar's on against Jiggs players?

buddy

Smash Cadet
me and my friends only just started using the counterpick stages, and they're throwing me off a lot.
which counterpick stages are good for fox? what's bad? what stages should i avoid playing certain characters against? (for example, EC joey just mentioned banning brinstar against jiggs, and i had no idea jiggs was good on brinstar)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Dreamland's is way more awkward to do compared to Stadium's isn't it? I think Falco has a much easier time edgecanceling on Dreamland than Fox does

Cruise is good for Fox
Brinstar has Fox getting whooped by lava
KJ64's ledge kills illusion and Firefox from below sweetspots unless you're really accurate with it ... also dumb barrel stuff

You could probably time out some Ganons or Peaches though :laugh:

Brookman

Smash Hero
I strike DL/foD vs. Peach. I'm not afraid of FD/chain grabs. Platforms on FoD have gotten me a few too many times.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Is it just me or are peaches cg's kinda hard to do?

also yeah i always strike DL/FoD, i'm fine with all the others. When i think FoD, I just think of the platforms going down with peach doing dsmash, and me getting hit without even having to jump into it.

unknown522

Some guy
@Brookman: True.

@Trahh: It's mad easy. A lot of peaches suck at it though (and u-throw -> d-smash).

I personally hate getting CG'd. That **** is too broken. Get grabbed at like 20% and lose a stock.....I'm not down for that.

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yeah it doesn't provide much positivity, it's simple, extremely abusive, makes people not wanna play tons of matchups on FD, i agree.

also, it's not as easy as some other chain grabs, like marth vs spacie.

for peach you have to atleast boost grab each time right?

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i like to strike FD/FoD. Fod because simple mistakes are more costly, and i HATE the unbreakable CG peach has o FD. stupid.

i ban brinstar (if its on) and if not then FD. and if they CP to Fod i switch to falco cuz Fod is falco's playground.

if they go dreamland, i look like this-> :troll:

Brookman

Smash Hero
Is it just me or are peaches cg's kinda hard to do?

also yeah i always strike DL/FoD, i'm fine with all the others. When i think FoD, I just think of the platforms going down with peach doing dsmash, and me getting hit without even having to jump into it.
You have to dash grab perfectly or near perfectly. Don't JC.

So, shield dropping was surprisingly easy to me after I figured out the mechanics. It's ridiculous how much faster you can move using it.

(*Jman*)

Smash Champion
i just aways ban fod **** that stage lol

but vs peach i dont care what stage im on as long as its not brinstar same with jiggs

voorhese

Smash Master
get it banned with me, its banned in dubs cuz it lags, so just take every climbers player to FoD and ditto em, so it gets banned =P

MacD

Banned via Administration
rainbow cruise lags too if there are too many peaches/turnips or lots of IC's i guess

we made green greens lag with 3 peaches and turnips

Eggz

Smash Hero
this is mad late but ive been making it a point to do jump shine whenever i do grounded shines in pretty much any situation, so now im hella good at doin ground shines outta initial dash. its a really good close quarters approach, cuz reacting to a dash shine at that distance is pretty ****in difficult and pretty much the only way a dash shine is useful

DanteFox

Smash Champion
anyone have any good tricks to approach marth with? Do I have to just camp with lasers and hope he messes up on approach, because whenever I try to approach I just get grabbed like 70% of the time. :[

Brookman

Smash Hero
more dash dancing. Can use lasers for pressure/percent advantage/kill percents. Beyond that, you just have to have a solid understanding of your punishment openings and options. Ideally, I try and pressure them into dash attacking. Practice Drill shffling into grabs/tilts/shines and practice your out of shine maneuver. Try and push the speed that you play over your opponent (as in, try to process information on a higher level than your opponent.)

Definitely learn your Lcancels inside out as well as general movement lag, such as turning/jumping/landing/wavedashing/rolling/fsmash/ ETC ETC ETC. The more comfortable you are playing at the games max speed (60 frames a second) the more in control you'll feel when playing vs. other people.

You shouldn't look at your problem in a fox vs. marth perspective, since your main problem is your play style against your opponent's.

You likely have little knowledge in this regard which is really the root of your problem. Psychology of SSBM players is not something you can passively learn by watching a video, even if it's two of the best. What you can do is adapt their execution and try to build your own play style that is flexible and patient enough to deal with whatever JOHNNY THUNDER51 is gonna throw at you. Whether its rolling into fsmash over and over or dash dance camping for grabs like a pro.

You might think you're moving extremely quickly but your opponent probably, literally, sees you coming.

drill and shine are great moves but it really comes down to spacing. If I hadn't said it before, jumping in to marth is not exactly smart or safe. However, you can use jumping as a tool to threaten an aerial approach. If you see where I'm going with this then you're in good shape.

Marth has way more range than fox but fox definitely has mobility and good CQC ability. If you don't know how to, learn to crouch cancel the inside of his fair, this is one of the best ways to get inside on marth. Another solid option is scaring them into shield for a decently easy grab or a cross up.

Don't stand around, hesitation will get you fsmashed or dash attacked or worst of all, grabbed. Spacing FOR back air is more threatening than actually throwing the back air out. uhmm

That's all I got off the top of my head.

Try to pressure with spacing in a way that offers marth an out or an opening, this way he'll be more likely to actually commit to something, whether it's a full jump or a dash attack/fsmash/ etc etc etc.

For the love of all things technical, don't **** around on the edge, off the stage, near the edge/etc etc etc. because solid marth players will gimp you and before you know it, you're out of stocks.

edge guarding:

This is tough. Especially if the marth keeps his double jump. If he doesn't have his double jump the light shield edge hog (if you don't know this yet then you're on your own) is usually a stock. Alternatively, there is a small window (1 frame) where your feet will beat marth's UP B with ivincibility.

A great opening for shine spikes happen marth's try to stall with forward b or double jump into an aerial (you have to be threatening to take the edge really well to get this reaction). On a similar note, You can pressure Marth players into using their UP B EARLY (recovering on to the stage vs. onto the edge), again, by threatening to edge hog.

Some marth's like to stall with edge hanging and this tactic is hard to counter if you're not careful. If you don't feel up to it and you can't develop a way around it, ignore the edge. If they aren't going to get off (they probably have a stock lead) You're going to have to be very creative to turn the situation into your favor without losing stock/taking tons of percent. ---

I brought this up yesterday and I'm sure you've all fallen pray to this **** before but running off in an attempt to shine spike then double jumping in an attempt to get back to the stage only to be sniped by Marth's UP AIR. I recommend wavelanding into a roll or something!!

---

ok, Definitely lost my train of thought here.

Honestly, I think that should be plenty of info.

tl;dr: you're playing vs. another person. Keep that in mind and try to be creative in your attempts at removing him from the platform 4 times. Drill, shine, and grab are bread and butter vs. marth.

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
very rarely, you can undershoot a shffl - with the expectation that they will try to dd grab you - and then sidestep the grab to punish, but it's risky

kinda cool tho lol

edit: whoops, didn't see your post Brookman. Yeah I'm here. Things are completely fine where I live. Northeast Honshu got wrecked really ****ing bad, but the international news media seemed to extrapolate "Touhoku is ****ed" to "Japan is ****ed" and is, in my opinion, doing the whole crisis a bit of an injustice by oversensationalizing the scale of what parts of Japan got hit.

For example, I saw a headline that ran something like "Supermarkets across Japan selling out" which would have you believe that the entire country is in a panic. Yet I went to the supermarket yesterday and everything was normal...

I don't know what to make of the nuclear plant situation in ***ushima but I'm not too worried about it, and neither are the people around me. We'll see what happens.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
***ushima got starred out? LOOOL

KK, are there any chaingrabs you can't do?

jman, why dont you 0-death PP on FD every time you grab him?

unknown522

Some guy
i like to strike FD/FoD. Fod because simple mistakes are more costly, and i HATE the unbreakable CG peach has o FD. stupid.

i ban brinstar (if its on) and if not then FD. and if they CP to Fod i switch to falco cuz Fod is falco's playground.

if they go dreamland, i look like this-> :troll:
i just aways ban fod **** that stage lol

but vs peach i dont care what stage im on as long as its not brinstar same with jiggs
I'd much rather take brinstar over FD. I hate them both, but I really hate the CG and I can outplay most peaches on brinstar anyway.

anyone have any good tricks to approach marth with? Do I have to just camp with lasers and hope he messes up on approach, because whenever I try to approach I just get grabbed like 70% of the time. :[
I'm actually watching Raynex play vs weon-x's marth right now. He said that he had trouble approaching. I told him to just hold his ground and try to force marth to commit. If the marth decides not commit, but you get into his space then attack.

Also, raynex says that he's gonna ditto marths now. He's tired of fox v marth and likes marth dittos.

Top Bottom