• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I can jc shine way more often than I can pivot shine
I'm really good at pivots, too. I pivot bair pretty often. But pivot shine is a difficult input because of the speed and accuracy required
jc shines you can just ****ing slam your thumb from Y to B and make it happen

if you want to pivot your shines instead of jc them, by all means, do it
but for me it's harder to space a pivot shine and harder to execute
I believe pivot shines are slightly faster because of the 1-3 frame jump cancel

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
i think pivot fsmash ***** and needs to be used more. whenever you're DDing to bait a roll/spot dodge, if you could just pivot fsmash the spot dodge youd **** everyone

Brookman

Smash Hero
...Jump Cancel Shine requires FASTER input - by a single frame. A gift in speed [sort of] and a curse in consistency..(also sort of)

...Backside of the shine has SLIGHTLY [dealing with the shine here] more range.

...What happens when you make an error inputting a Jump Cancel Shine?
... ... ... I'm sure you can think of a few things.

...What happens when you mess up a Pivot Shine?
... ... ... forward b at worst I guess. You?

So, when you guys are up against a player who can't get out of your drill combos . . . just how good are your drill combos?
I can jc shine way more often than I can pivot shine
I'm really good at pivots, too. I pivot bair pretty often. But pivot shine is a difficult input because of the speed and accuracy required
jc shines you can just ****ing slam your thumb from Y to B and make it happen

if you want to pivot your shines instead of jc them, by all means, do it
but for me it's harder to space a pivot shine and harder to execute
I believe pivot shines are slightly faster because of the 1-3 frame jump cancel
Turning is four frames. Meaning shine is on the 5th.
Out of the jump shine comes out 4th.

Ideally, of Course.

Except, when you JC shine, when you mess up you are sort of stuck mid-air and are forced to double jump (although, not necessarily + platforms). On the other hand, if you make a mistake trying to pivot (given the minor potential to sideB) If you miss the 5th frame input on the shine you are now DASHING AWAY. HMMM

I think the drill shine question is relavent. Also, Haven't been out to a tournament since that MM from a few months back but what is everyone doing for shield pressure these days?

What is everyone doing for neutral pressure?

Kanelol

Smash Lord
hate to interrupt

but does anyone know the name of that combo video dark was in

not perfect dark

he did it with like 2 other Chilean dudes and it was like 20 minutes long and reminded me a lot of baxopopate

Tomacawk

Smash Master
no, if you screw up in the pivot a ton of **** can happen
if you're lucky you dash away.
none of this is really important, nobody is going to start pivot shining, and the few people that already jc shine aren't going to stop so that they can pivot shine
it's all preference, I really don't know why you keep insisting it's the best approach and using emphasis/word choice to imply that you're right

does anybody want help with a specific matchup? I'm willing to sit down and dump my thoughts if somebody wants to hear it.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ghost start dark = **** x3 I thought it was.

well brookman....based on the fact that you may side b attempting to pivot...much worse lmao.

if u miss a jc shine u typically jump then shine late aka while airborne. simply jump out lol...escape to a platform or try to fade away. if u hit them and mess up I guess your punishment is no follow up...better than possibly losing a stock by SD any day.

I can also pivot consistently, the other day I dropped a few pivot up tilts which I hope will extend combos... but jc shine is easier and faster lol. u can also jc shine dashing past somebody so u can hit with the back side.

for shield pressure ive ben trying to get to the back side by drilling or fairing thru their shield...then shine nair ..up tilt, turn around jab, into some **** or wait.

earla

Smash Lord
tips on using

a) utilt
b) dtilt
c) 1st hit uair
d) dsmash

effectively.

?

Tomacawk

Smash Master
something I've been wondering about, speaking of 1st hit uair
first hit uair to grab seems like it's viable. one of the pseudo combos where they aren't locked in hitstun but can't really get out (maybe spacies could shine before they land if you were to uthrow sour uair grab)
seems like it'd be stylish as **** and pretty effective simply because nobody knows how to deal with it

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
@toma-I think any good player finding then self in the position of getting uaired to grabbed would probably resort to mashing fairly quickly. you would probably put yourself in a worse position overall. alot of aerials can beat the 7 frame grab window especially considering u have landing lag. ppl will just asdi/sdi out like they do with regular up throw uairs. thats only my opinion tho, which doesn't mean much anyway.

brook-lol if u think silent wolf's goal is to be slower AND less effective.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
why not just nair shine nair shine grab or nair shine grab......mix it up but end with a grab cuz last time i checked grab>sheild

JPOBS

Smash Hero
tips on using

a) utilt
b) dtilt
c) 1st hit uair
d) dsmash

effectively.

?
utilt- fit it into comboes whereever possible. it has good range and amazing followups.

Upthrow-> Utilt on spacies who dont DI around 40-60 percent. on falcon around 50ish and onwards. On shiek at 0-10ish. On marth/sheik when they DI upthrow you can do nair->uptilt.
use it to beat approaches and zone people. everyone needs more uptilt.

Dtilt- mostly for very specific things like shield poking sometimes, or in some jank combos. Its a great spacing tool because of its range. I can't give any specific examples on when to use it, you have to figure it out on your own. Generally tho, if they can't CC it and you have time to land it and are spaced correctly, its ok to go for it. Has some nice follow ups.

I never first hit upair on purpose so idk.

Downsmash- Mostly as a edgeguard on spacies' Side-B. can also waveshine->downsmash characters like sheik/falcon/peach at low percents where upsmash won't kill and you can set up edgeguards. CC->downsmash when you're under attack also has some uses.

unknown522

Some guy
so Raynex was playing with riddlebox and KK yesterday and we realized that if peach (and probably various other characters such as spacies) dash attacks your shield. It has enough lag so that you can drop your shield and u-tilt (or *insert move here*) on them before their lag finishes

Palpi

Smash Hero
so Raynex was playing with riddlebox and KK yesterday and we realized that if peach (and probably various other characters such as spacies) dash attacks your shield. It has enough lag so that you can drop your shield and u-tilt (or *insert move here*) on them before their lag finishes
damn, that is epic, im gonna try that out today

Brookman

Smash Hero
Just because something "shouldn't work" doesn't mean it won't . That's what separates the best from the rest.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
wait vorheese, why wouldn't the nair combo into the shine?

unless you mean they can cc it. but even then, late nair->shien combos, and any nair-> shine combos when you catch peach out of her float at reasonable percents.

your post makes it seem like it will never work when theres tons of situations that legit combo nair->shine
the problem is what happens after the shine lol

Brookman

Smash Hero

Pi

Smash Hero
wavedash is faster if you do it perfectly, by a couple frames, and the lag time is something you're probably more use to
but i guess shield drop utilt would be easier
wavedash oos feels more comfortable to me than shield drop

Top Bottom