• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

chillindude829

Smash Master
the trick to not having your movement be controlled by IC's is to NOT MOVE.

also, LOL @ dude who has played with chu for (x) years laughing about unfamiliarity of people in the IC match up????
lmfao, theres also vids of me vs chu that have been out for (x) years and i obviously play the matchup extremely simple

just drill over and over and l-cancel all ur drills into shines boom u win

Brookman

Smash Hero
gotta learn how to out laser falco players ;]

chain grab with up smashes.

if I asked you to examine your own match, as objectively as possible, what would you observe?? (go ahead and try this)

Got to really think about how you can take control of the game here. up smash/shine for knock down are great, you're spending 90% of your free time trying to aggro-fux him and getting falco'd left and right. the goal is to be HARD to hit, imo, so why do 90% of the work for him??? Minimize tech skill + optimize function

You should do some soul searching and examine the foundation upon which you have built the house of your ssbm/fox style.

fox vs. falco is hard >_> (on both sides)

at one minute in you are actually pretty even. ..

essentially, you're making it too easy for him to falco vs. fox you by being over-active. constantly trying to push an agenda that just doesn't have any business being pushed in the match. stop TRYING to make things work/force situations, and just play passive and observe. keep your character safe as priority 1 (don't get hit) don't be overly aggressive (don't jump into the ****) and optimize your opportunities when they present themselves. perhaps it is easier said than done but you . . . seem to completely forgo upsmash??

this could be less a case of your vs. falco and more a case of your style clashing with his style.

you need to spend way more time using platforms and less time playing street fighter vs. falco.

keep developing your style. (y)

feel free to ignore the **** out of me. **** do I know anyway??

p.s. way more side b/up b/neutral b (y)

I just want to share my new shield pressure: space nair/bair > grab.

STAY FREE

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I am currently working on the Falco matchup as well...things I found that have worked for me:

WD OOS into shine vs laser approaches at WD-length spacing: the idea here is immediately after the laser has hit your shield (even better if you powershield ofc) you WD out into shine--the falco should still be landing/have just landed and is usually not prepared to be shined. Sets up for thunders at low percents/tech chases at higher percents.

Rolling is not as bad as it is in some other matchups: I think the second you see them commit to any sort of attack toward you into your shield you can roll past them safely. Not sure about other foxes but I always tried not to roll so much but I think it is really useful here

Stop trying to approach/get first hits with dair: dair definitely has its uses in the matchup but I don't think it is actually a good tool for getting first hits. The problem with dair is that it doesn't have enough horizontal range--if I hit a falco's shield with dair I often get shined oos (even if I fast fall + lcancel) which gets you set up for a death combo. I feel much safer approaching only with spaced nair/bair, if you hit their shield with enough space between you they don't have any real options out of shield if you're doing all your tech skill stuff correctly.

On tech chasing/continuing combos: talking to Toph he mentioned that fox's usmash and grab come out on the same frame (4?? I'm complete **** with frame data sorry). At low percents if you hit falco down with a shine it's tempting to try and tech chase on reaction and get a grab to start a death combo. Problem with this is that unless you are perfect the falco can spot dodge your grab and then shine you and then you're ****ed. When falco's at low percents I like to usmash instead, it has more range so you have a slightly bigger window to hit it off a reaction tech chase, it hits even if they dash away/jump in the early frames, and at lower percents it can lead to more usmash/guaranteed grab if they don't DI well.

Right now I'm trying to figure out edgeguarding cuz that's usually where my combos tend to fail. I get them off the edge but I can't finish them.

CanISmash

Smash Lord
Elmont LI, Queens. Philadelphia during semesters.
rarely play this game but i actually had to questions whenever anyone gets the chance.

crouch cancel grabs.... every time i try to do this i get light shields or jabs with the z button... any tips?

also any tips on grabbing the edge as quick as possible from a wavedash? (please no nonsense involving shine just a regular wavedash to the edge) it just seems like some folks do it a lot faster

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
rarely play this game but i actually had to questions whenever anyone gets the chance.

crouch cancel grabs.... every time i try to do this i get light shields or jabs with the z button... any tips?

also any tips on grabbing the edge as quick as possible from a wavedash? (please no nonsense involving shine just a regular wavedash to the edge) it just seems like some folks do it a lot faster
i think its easiest to use R or L + A when crouch cancel grabbing if u wanna do it immediately

and yeah i just flick down and in on the control stick if u hold down u will fast fall past the ledge, this is also useful cuz then u can jump and do a move to edgeguard n shiit LOL x)

PGH Carroll

Smash Master
who would you guy say is the best fox at certain MU's
i never really watch vids but it would be nice to know who to watch when im struggling with a MUto kinda compare things too.

like against

Fox: Mango?
Falco: Javi?
Sheik: Unknown? Cyrain?
puff: Mango? M2K?
Marth: Swift?
Peach: leffen? chillin?
Falcon: Jman?
ICs: ?
Doc: Lovage?
Ganon: Mango? weon?
Samus: lovage?
luigi: ?

i feel like mango would be alot of these but also include people that are like.. the best overall foxes but people that play certain mus well

Medz!

Smash Journeyman
Mango goes falco against fox.
Jman and lovage for the ditto.
Mango and jman **** marth
Javi and maybe jman for falco.
Chillin for ics.
Unknown for sheik.
Mango for puff.
Leffen for peach since he plays armada the most.
Javi and jman for falcon.

leffen

Smash Champion
I actually made a lot of progress in the Peach matchup recently.. my set w/ armada 2 weeks back was much closer than usual (every match that he won was 100%+ last stock etc) , and barring a few SDs at really low percent I know I could've taken him to last game

Theres a big tournament next week, so I'm gonna **** his *** then :>

kd-

Smash Lord
Fox: Jman
Falco: Javi
Sheik: I'd guess Unknown
puff: I'd guess Lovage
Marth: Jman
Peach: Leffen
Falcon: Jman
ICs: Chillin
Doc: Lovage
Ganon: I'd guess Weon
Samus: Lovage, Jman
luigi: Carroll, Taki

Guess who's my favorite fox <_<; It's a serious list though :]

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Pretty hard to say which Fox would be good vs Ganon because it's always ****ing hard no matter the top player.. lol. I've had equal hard time vs all the top ones.

But I'd say Bam is the best in that matchup. Fox or Falco.

unknown522

Some guy
I beat a peach, Zelda, and falco in a 3v1 with both fox and falcon on FD at a tourney

I also beat a jiggs, falco, and doc at another tourney with marth on corneria. Lol

:phone:

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
Mango's best matchup is Samus. Unfortunately he doesn't have anything of his Fox vs Samus on youtube I don't think.

Brookman

Smash Hero
1. you need to aim when you shoot. ;]

2. dtilt to dtilt.

3. dash attack is exclusively* for high percent^

4. top platform harder.

5. dtilt to dtilt. (todtilt....etc)

6. got some pretty bad "I REALLY WANT TO JUMP AT YOU ALL THE EFFING TIME" habits. turn that **** off and laser/platform more.

7. my side/up b are indomitable, yours can be too.

8. 2:46 = clutch

9. stop HOLDING SHOULDER BUTTONS AND GTFO. take the edge if ya gotta. (dont SD/suck off the edge)

10. I'm going to assume you dash attack on accident.

11. stop dash attacking

12. stop.

-

1. no comment on fd...

2. good stationary lasers (y)

3. rofl @ the walk away. TOO good.

playing excellent in g2

6:19 - land and GRAB.

623 shine-shine-shine-shine-shine (maybe throw in a drill for percent, if your good at these maneuvers) downsmash/upsmash, take edge. REPEAT.

terrible dash attack habits.

@ this point you can let him hang on the edge, go to the opposite side and just stationary laser.

g3.

he comes back after your first kill and you spam up smash???? get stock loss...

less holding of L/R and less wreckless dash attack. g2 and g3 were played pppretty on point here. keep honing the good habits and practicing the optimal skillz and focus on weeding out the bad habits and quitting the useless skills. GG, till next time we meet.

PK Webb

Smash Champion
ill take some of that advice buttttttt im aggro it how i flow so that whole not jump at them thing is right at home to me. the dash attacks were mistakes mostly . new controller jons. i was going for nairs. as for useless tech i didnt do anything wild or crazy i think.

kd-

Smash Lord
I was going to list Lucky for either of those two and I guess couldn't come up with specific reasons if I did. I feel like there's not really a puff or falcon slayer out there as Fox right now

Top Bottom