• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

PK Webb

Smash Champion
Just some thoughts as I re-discover Fox:

It seems that shine>nair pressure can be rolled out of after one or two repetitions. Shine nairs are great tools, but the goal is still punishing the opponent's action out of shield. Too much emphasis on shield pressure itself results in them getting away.

Shinegrab is most useful when you're up against a character that is going to try to wait out and challenge your shield pressure, like Fox (usmash, shine). A character like Marth or Falcon just wants to get back to a comfortable spacing distance, so the chances he is trying to roll away are greater. Shine>nair plus jabs would be a good way to keep him unable to jump and allow you to follow his rolls with more pressure.
i was literally gonna post this topic on shield pressure good stuff

stelzig

Smash Lord
I think that's actually fairly universal - both me and Otto have an easier time hitting perfect ledgedashes on the right side. I'm pretty sure it's just because of how the human hand works. Notice that when you try to spin a control stick in circles (a la Mario Party 1) it's way easier to go clockwise than it is to go counter-clockwise? The thumb just has a more natural time rotating in that direction for whatever reason. And I think there's carryover into the ledgedash motion.
What? I think it's the opposite.. It's (alot) easier to rotate counter-clockwise than clockwise. Which is why it is easier to moonwalk to the right.

Brookman

Smash Hero
wow stel, your brain must be ****ed up!!

okay,!

unnecessary new tech skill of the moment:

using the first (few?) frames of up air to force standing animation faster.

i.e. dash > short hop > fast fall...c^

first frame literally moves fox closer to the ground and, if timed correctly allows you to land sooner by a (few?) frame(s)

this is an auto cancel. the concept was taken from Samus's up air tricks

:phone:

@shield pressure: Shields pressure is a concept, often mistaken for the act of attacking someone's shield...this is a misconception. the idea of pressure itself is important, and often neglected in search of an "efficient" or "effective" style.

the best form of shield pressure is grab. grabbing v. block puts way more pressure on than the most well executed aerial>shines. provided you're doing more than 4%....

CloneHat

Smash Champion
The way I see it, OOS options are just what you do to punish an attempted grab/escape from the possibility, and shield pressure is a way to keep them from performing certain OOS options. Neither strategy works consistently on its own. A grab is definitely the best way to stop a shielding opponent, but it's exactly what a somebody is looking for while shielding.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The whole point of aerial-shines is to cover sidesteps and rolls while still retaining a window to react to those options or hold them in a bad position. Your most direct counter to shield is grab, however, and it's generally what you want to land versus like 7/8 of the most relevant characters.

There is a purpose to aerial-shining a shield. It's safer than going directly in with a grab if you're unsure of what the opponent is going to do. And aerial-shining can let you scout for habits or even modify them (hooray for conditioning) in a way that grab really doesn't let you. But ultimately your goal is generally to grab them so you can make them dead. Don't ever forget that.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
grab is safe on all characters with bad spotdodges

shine and nair give way less reward but are a little safer
You assume people use spotdodges to counter grabs. The reason grabbing is unsafe is because you can jump out of shield and punish, probably the most useful and popular OOS strategy.

leffen

Smash Champion
Latenair->grab

shine grab

beats almost all jumps oos

and theres a lot of more complicated **** with reaction and stuff but I cba explaining anything

Beat!

Smash Master
Attention, everyone.

Today I was able to combo fsmash --> grab on a CPU Ganon. My fondest hope is that this will become a powerful addition to the Fox metagame. Also, I am of the opinion that this combo should be referred to as "The Beat" from now on. This is very important to me.

That would be all.

dawn001

Smash Ace
Claw is the only way to play if you want to be able to control your fox as u want.. I mean no hesitation at all/ no freeze. Now as for the fast grab? Ha! That's tricky but I Dawn has found a way. For those who are interested of knowing it ...just feedback on me.

*fox owns you*

:phone:

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
So fox mains, help an aspiring pocket fox out: what do you do at 6:13-6:40?

I can't think of many practical solutions a cornered Fox has for stopping that close range laser game (particularly 6:28) and apparently Jman couldn't either so Stric just abused that and won...Jman was able to finally get a nair at 7:13 of that video by full-hopping back to gain room for the dash and then FH nairing but I don't think thats a very consistent answer (they can just see you jump back and ****) and I think Stric might have mistimed/misspaced those lasers...

Blah.

(plz don't say "just powershield")
(or wavedash back grab the ledge and ledgedash.)

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
just curious, but why is "just powershield" not an acceptable answer to you?
1) Powershielding is hard to be consistent with, and I'd like to know other options especially in high pressure situations where I'd likely miss the timing.

2) He could just powershield it back (see: Zhu. Stric pops his shield in between lasers too)

Bones0

Smash Legend

I can't think of many practical solutions a cornered Fox has for stopping that close range laser game (particularly 6:28) and apparently Jman couldn't either so Stric just abused that and won...Jman was able to finally get a nair at 7:13 of that video by full-hopping back to gain room for the dash and then FH nairing but I don't think thats a very consistent answer (they can just see you jump back and ****) and I think Stric might have mistimed/misspaced those lasers...

Blah.

Jman wasn't trapped at the ledge. He was just camping for a gimp. You don't need to dash back when Falco is lasering, so the fact that you are at the ledge is largely irrelevant. Just treat it as if you were in the center of the stage. Platforms are the simplest solution; just don't get predictable because the Falco will just laser and anticipate you jumping onto the platform and punish with a shine-waveland.

EWC

Smash Ace

Blah.

This is kinda tricky but not actually too bad. Jman responded correctly at 6:20 ish by taking the platform. Stric then went in for an unsafe approach that missed completely left him above fox/vulnerable. Jman could have punished directly there but he opted to go back to center stage instead, which is a pretty good decision imo.

He got a grab a out of it a few seconds later. Over commited on his follow and wound up back in the same position on the other side of the stage at 6:29. At this point Stric did some really close lasers that Jman probably could have baired over.

In any case full jumping from that position is pretty safe. Alternatively he coulda grabbed the ledge and ledgedashed and just ran to center stage with invincibility (I know you said don't say that, but sometimes it really is the best option).

I don't really like trying to powershield from that position, since I'd rather not have to rely on something so delicate to get me out of dangerous postions; I usually reserve powershielding for offensive use. It can still be helpful though.

TheCrimsonBlur

Smash Master
Jman wasn't trapped at the ledge. He was just camping for a gimp.
I think he was going for that at first, but then he was legitimately trapped.

You don't need to dash back when Falco is lasering, so the fact that you are at the ledge is largely irrelevant. Just treat it as if you were in the center of the stage.
I mean...if I was at the center of the stage I would probably wavedash back dash nair. The wavedash back gives you the distance necessary to make the nair connect and set up your initial dash..

Platforms are the simplest solution; just don't get predictable because the Falco will just laser and anticipate you jumping onto the platform and punish with a shine-waveland.
Can you expand on this? I know stadium is a specific example since its platforms are closer to the middle of the stage, but what exactly could Jman have done there? Whenever I play a half decent Falco they never let me get away with jumping out and around them in that situation...

And what about FD?

Sorry, you guys are going to have to go a little slow for me; my Fox is very elementary. I know getting cornered is one of Fox's biggest weaknesses, but at least in other matchups I feel like I can threaten with nair. Against Falco I just feel dead.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've always found it really easy to not get cornered as Fox... He is so fast that you can almost always just run away if you don't like a situation, at least on PS, DL, and BF. As a Falco player, the biggest concern when lasering vs. Fox is that he will come at me with an attack from above. I can't really get too close because it's super easy for Fox to just camp full hops and drill/bair me. Cactuar was doing this vs. me at Apex, and it's really just a situation where Falco cannot approach safely unless he lands a laser. You can jump onto the side platform of any stage with a good amount of safety as long as Falco isn't close enough to jump up and shine you as you waveland. If he IS close enough to do that, then just full hop towards him. You'll either hit him or force him backwards (in which case feinting the attack and double jumping to the plat is great). In either case it gives you more room to work with by getting him away from the side platform. I think you mostly have to keep in mind that you aren't in any real danger. Even in the example you linked, Jman just took his time spacing his way off the ledge and there weren't any glaring instances where Stric could have easily punished.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
He could have taken the platform the whole time, and just gradually gotten back to the center. The first time he did this, he took exactly 5% (not much for being in an unfavourable situation). Falco will concede space if he can't defend himself from above.

Jman could have also pulled a Javi and fullhop naired over the lasers lol

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
He could have taken the platform the whole time, and just gradually gotten back to the center. The first time he did this, he took exactly 5% (not much for being in an unfavourable situation). Falco will concede space if he can't defend himself from above.

Jman could have also pulled a Javi and fullhop naired over the lasers lol
Or just shined them at that range, Javi does a lot of shine laser to shdl in situations like that.

Top Bottom