• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

rokimomi

Smash Lord
If I'm not good enough to waveshine ICs what should I be doing after a shine?

Do I need to try and aim my drills specifically to separate them or something?

I feel like I'll never beat Chu in my life

I know there's a skill gap but I don't think it's big enough to warrant me getting 3 stocked all the damn time
My feeling from this matchup is to just use jump canceled shines to separate (not drills or nairs) and shine high enough and quick enough not to get grabbed out of em.

...or I switch characters...

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
How do you play against Mario? Same idea as vs Doc? Anything special to watch out for?

unknown522

Some guy
If I'm not good enough to waveshine ICs what should I be doing after a shine?go to a platform, or try to gay nana somehow

Do I need to try and aim my drills specifically to separate them or something?
usually DI dependent. But if you move forward with your drill, then it should split them, because nana will go behind you usually.
I feel like I'll never beat Chu in my life

I know there's a skill gap but I don't think it's big enough to warrant me getting 3 stocked all the damn time
me neither. Why not try luigi? isn't that an even matchup?
answers in bold

Everyone asks me this. What's so great about playing Luigi? =\

The Falco matchup was one reason.

Lack of people to discuss Luigi strategy with was another.

But mostly I just wanted to play Fox. Fox is fun.
hehehe

thats wassup. it better be good!

i just need to get a couple clips recorded then im good to go. been slackin way too much on this
I'll do my best.

Can't wait for your vid though

How do you play against Mario? Same idea as vs Doc? Anything special to watch out for?
pretty much. But mario's fireballs suck so it makes it easier to approach him

i-found-out-a-cool-shine-property-with-fox-and-falco.-(found-it-for-myself-at-least)

if-you-land-in-your-shine-while-jumping-(on-your-way-up)-and-have-momentum-behind-you-when-you-do,-that-momentum-is-stored-for-a-small-period-of-time-(even-though-you-are-completely-stopped)-and-can-be-released-upon-jumping-out-of-the-shine.-it-is-not-noticable-at-all-really,-but-this-enables-you-to-do-shine-land-hogs-on-like-any-platform.(even-ones-where-you-have-to-wait-a-bit-to-land)

basically-you-can-do-this-wherever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohtsE70EjXQ&feature=channel_video_title

and-i-dont-think-the-wind-is-the-reason-he-did-it-there-either.-you-dont-need-wind-to-do-it.-just-thought-this-was-kool.-yea-i-have-no-spacebar-lolz

btw-according-to-my-post-on-lovages-channel-i-knew-about-this-10-months-ago-and-forgot-about-it-haha.

edit:-i-thought-about-it-and-its-possible-you-arent-completely-stopped-at-first-when-you-shine-land,-it-might-just-be-very-subtle.-that-seems-more-logical

yea-i-was-trippin.-you-def-still-move-a-bit-when-you-land-in-you-shine-while-rising,-not-keep-momentum-and-release-it-when-you-jump-lol.-very-subtle-tho.-thats-why-you-can-shine-land-and-slide-off-and-invisible-shine-like-in-this-clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28pD1KDcKZY

haha-thanks-oscar-for-having-video-examples-for-all-this

but-if-you-do-a-perfect-shine-land-it-cancels-all-momentum.-thats-why-you-cant-do-it-on-a-ledge-on-the-ground.(unless-you-can-jump-thru-the-ground-like-on-KJ64-or-something-lol)

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I am having a problem with falco's lasers (preferably FD). It is difficult to approach him. Can anyone help me out? :p

EWC

Smash Ace
The standard answers are: better shield work, platforms, spaced full jump threats.

Can you be more specific about what kinda of situations are giving you a hard time?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Falco's DD laser> grab set ups
and his shine oos>auto combo(dair>shine e.t.c.).

Mainly those two are giving me issues.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
learn PS reflect
maximize your punishments when you get a first hit. I CG Falcos to ~40% ish wait for them to not DI then utilt -> nair -> dash attack -> usmash most of the time.

EWC

Smash Ace
If you're getting laser grabbed a lot it probably means you are too comfortable in your shield. I used to have that problem a lot and I found that I got a lot better at the matchup just by explicitly not using shield for a matches. Just focus on keeping your mobility and not getting stuck.

Once you stop relying on your shield when you panic, then you can start re-introducing it as a useful tool rather than a crutch.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Manning up and just taking a laser is helpful. Don't give a **** about 3%, I'm going to murder you.

EWC

Smash Ace
True. Also you can CC lasers and then dash right after; It's really fast. Not quite as quick as powershielding as wavedashing out but a lot easier and only a few frames slower. Note that you actually have to crouch for this to work. Lasers don't put you in the air so ASDI down won't do anything.

Speaking of which you can also SDI lasers when they hit you. I've never really tried this but I'd imagine it could help you take space in tight situations.

And here's one other thing that I just thought of which might be pretty useful as well: Jump right before the laser hits you and then asdi down to cancel the stun.

But yeah basically the neutral game vs falco all comes down to not getting flustered and making sure you keep mobility; Even though it may sometimes feel otherwise, the only time the bird actually has an advantage in terms of position is when you are trapped near the ledge and only have like 3 escape options.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I see.

Power shield, SDI the laser, ASDI down to cancel the stun, keep your mobility.

Glad I know now. :p

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
LOL I told Otto that on facebook and he was like "it-doesnt-work-for-me" and I was like >_> and left it at that.

also Unknown jesus christ do you always play as good as you did in that set vs. S2J? You did some platform bull**** on Yoshi's Story that made me smile really big. :D

EWC

Smash Ace
Ryan is like a volcano. He just kinda charges up for a while then BAM he goes full tas mode and then goes back to missing techskill and raging.

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
If my drillshine--> upsmash is getting shielded on characters like Marth and Doc is it safe to assume that I'm waveshining too slowly? I noticed that a lot of the time whenever I go up against Marth/Doc/Samus/Mario I'm able to drillshine or waveshine to a distance so that upsmash will connect but their shield will be up before upsmash can hit, as opposed to characters like Peach/Link/CFalcon/Ganon/Zelda where I'll be able to waveshine-->upsmash 100% of the time if I can get close enough for upsmash connect.

Are there any other factors that might be causing this? Too short waveshines, not fast falling early enough, etc.

EWC

Smash Ace
If they are getting their shield up it's because you're either not waveshining fast enough, or not far enough. Against marth you need to either do a really near perfect waveshine and walk a bit, or you need to dash and JC upsmash. Against Doc it's a lot easier to do it by just walking a bit after, but I still like to dash just in case. But really the biggest thing is to make sure that the entire motion is a fast and smooth as possible. The trickiest part I think is getting the dash after the waveshine to be as crisp as possible.

Lovage

Smash Hero
If my drillshine--> upsmash is getting shielded on characters like Marth and Doc is it safe to assume that I'm waveshining too slowly? I noticed that a lot of the time whenever I go up against Marth/Doc/Samus/Mario I'm able to drillshine or waveshine to a distance so that upsmash will connect but their shield will be up before upsmash can hit, as opposed to characters like Peach/Link/CFalcon/Ganon/Zelda where I'll be able to waveshine-->upsmash 100% of the time if I can get close enough for upsmash connect.

Are there any other factors that might be causing this? Too short waveshines, not fast falling early enough, etc.
vs characters like marth/mario u gotta waveshine and then dash a bit and JC usmash

doc you can sometimes just get away with just waveshine usmash

saumus you can usually just waveshine usmash, but sometimes you gotta walk a tiny bit and then usmash out of ur walk

vs. peach/falcon/ganon/link etc, you can almost always just waveshine usmash 100% of the time and it will work

lanabo

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys. I'll try JC usmash instead of usmash and improving waveshine speed. I always walked to close the distance after doing waveshine if it came up too short and never considered doing dash->JC usmash.

Top Bottom