• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Walt

Smash Ace
I don't remember this LOL. Got examples?
The main one I remember is Lucien down threw Hax, Hax missed the tech on purpose, Lucien tried to jab reset him, Hax did the hit up and jump trick thing to escape and you were like "Falcon has x number of frames to press up and z number of frames to hold up after x percent".

I just kinda laughed and said "ok"

Lovage

Smash Hero
Lovage beasted at the big house. that one combo with the side-B platform cancel bair on stadium was like fgbhsjgdfnbkelarsvLGrbtjr
goddamit Oscar. <3
I'm so glad one of us fox mains won the tourney am I right guys?

Go lovage!!11
I'll get you next time, Oscar!

:p
Shoutout to Lovage winning the Big house! Great to see you man.

Though, didn't get to play any singles games :(
<333333 ty bros

big house was hellla fun

im gonna post more on the boards

who wants to know some ****

about the koolest character in smash

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
wow wtf

vish mocking all the fox mains for congratulating you gets quoted and <3'd and my "good **** OSCAR" doesn't

I SEE HOW IT IS

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
ppl will scatter if you say "hey can we use this tv for a money match"
best way to find a tv to play friendlies on at nationals

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
What are some of the better followups to a waveshine oos against different characters, assuming it doesn't push them off of the ledge? I would think that if they don't fall don't from shine it could be an easy grab/upshash/utilt but if they fall down like falco or ditos, what do you do? Do you go for a jab reset combo or is it safer to just try to read their tech/getup option?

Palpi

Smash Hero
After low %'s jab reset is very easy to avoid. I would say, go for the reset against fox and falcos but if you notice them getting out the reset, go for the tech chase. You can also shine->ftilt or dash attack after a shine on someone who falls. I like ftilt when they are near the ledge.

:phone:

sanchaz

Smash Lord
also the best way to draw a crowd (depending on how loud you yell)
have you played me yet??? I draw the whole tournament place to watch my matches, :D

I'm also busting out this new technique today, when I need to tech roll and the other person is trying to cover the option: shine jump shine fire ****ing fox, where is your god now.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I don't see how you would be good enough to reliably use waveshine oos but not know what to do after waveshine lol.

Waveshine oos using the c stick is really, really, easy. Like it is arguably easier than learning to SH out of shine. It's really just a timing thing like links in traditional fighters, doesn't really require any speed whatsoever. That and I'm new to fox, and haven't played people much, just grinding tech skill for the moment.

I see. In that case, become used to realizing when jab will connect and use it when you think it will conditionally. As in if they are capable of SDIing the jab up, don't jab falco at all and don't jab fox if he's higher than like 32%. Double jab will also work for extra damage, though you have to be pretty close. If no jab, try to tech chase with a grab/up smash (or something to knock them off the ledge).

Jake13

Smash Lord
Idea: thunders to thunders to thunders

Ok so not really "thunders" but drill>shine>wavedash>jab, repeat

This has been working a lot for me lately as a mix up (espesh if they're near the ledge after the first jab reset) but I was wondering how other ppl felt about it

If its easy to get out of holla at me

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Issues with repeat thunders:

1. Up
2. SDI the dair
3. Stage size

It's occasionally decent to position them near the edge for a DD > double shine or similar shenanigans though. BS KOs are the best kind of KOs.

You can mitigate 2 by simplifying with waveshine jab resetting for the second iteration.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Agree with kk, I still think his #1 is pretty big. If they couldn't react to the first jab reset with an SDI up, then they probably will the second time. And getting a grab is still really good, so I don't feel like you really "lose out" on opportunity much.

Also, when I waveshine>jab reset I do two jabs but often only the second one hits. Do you think that is a spacing thing? I think I need to try to stretch my wavedash a little farther. (IDK if others have encountered the issue already and can offer insight)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
There's got to be some bull**** habit exploit with this where you abuse the fact that they're gonna hold up and automatically stand and then f-smash them or something.

:awesome:

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
what are fox's best stages vs samus? i'd imagine ps but that got banned. I went to battlefield. then samus cp'd me to yoshis story, which was surprising since i thought that would be another contender my my best stage against her.. thoughts?

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflpxo9Ydp4

Critique my Fox please :D

There should be alot to say about the first match, since i get absolutely destroyed in it, but i'd rather have some commentary on the more close matches (3 and 4)

Also, don't mind the commentary, LOL.
What got you ***** in the first match was that you didn't hit him with your shine once. You had so, so many oppurtunities, like shield pressure or after an aerial on him at low %. Aerials put him on the ground, which is a bad place for anyone. You did this more in match 3 (didn't want any other matches than these, I don't have the time) and therefore it was closer.

You did a very good job at punishing his missed attacks with grabs, keep doing that until it stops working. Getting grabbed is a problem, it often ends in kills. As Fox you really have to maintain your skill and be faster than him. You definitely shouldn't get shieldgrabbed, like at 11:50. Also, don't Firefox so close to the stage.
After teching the Fsmash and surviving you deserved the win in my book, fully. I'm really jealous of your grab game, I need that to beat Marths as well ;o.

The main problem is that you played with Zgetto tag, no one should ever do that. Not even Zgetto.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What kind of critique was that?

It basically said "hitting him is good, having him hit you is bad"

I only watched the last two games, Navn, but I was quite impressed. I like the fox a lot. I especially like your use of the uair trap on Yoshi's top platform. It's somewhat underused.

Jake13

Smash Lord
Issues with repeat thunders:

1. Up
2. SDI the dair
3. Stage size
1. This is the only negative I can forsee, but even then you're looking at a trade at worst (assuming they up and then attack asap) bc fox is fast enuff to just nair in space or put out some hitbox
2. From my experience, since you start up another run prior to the second thunders, sdi doesn't really matter. They di away, they fall right into your space. They sdi behind you, they still get hit with the shine and end up a lil farther. Tho if the sdi and then tech the shine its game over for the combo, word up on the tech read.
3. Stage size doesn't matter, this set up can be controlled to go either way at either time*, since the goal isn't to throw the opponent off stage or infinite them, just mix them up

*tech skill depending

Then if they think they're super cool and try and up to mindgames, just do another drill and bam, remindgamed

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I cant really give much Navn but I think you can mix up your approaches with grabs. Their was a lot of times when you got caught by the marth's fair.

on a side note, I like your vid with Tomber (ice climbers).

Lovage

Smash Hero
wow wtf

vish mocking all the fox mains for congratulating you gets quoted and <3'd and my "good **** OSCAR" doesn't

I SEE HOW IT IS
omfg i remember i read your post and i coulda swore i pressed "multiquote" LOL -.-

what are fox's best stages vs samus? i'd imagine ps but that got banned. I went to battlefield. then samus cp'd me to yoshis story, which was surprising since i thought that would be another contender my my best stage against her.. thoughts?
best stage: stadium - transformations **** her, you can't get up+b'd to dsmashed on the small platforms, she dies really early

great stage: yoshi's - she dies early, a lot easier to recover due to the platforms being super close to the ledge, super small so she has less room to WD back, really easy for you to recover at low percents due to the easy super angled firefoxes on the wall.

good stages: fod, battlefield - she can't grapple recover as much on battlefield but it doesn't make that much of a difference (non sweetspot grapples suck **** regardless.) the platforms are gay on fod but it's still fine.

bad stage: dreamland - too big, the platforms barely help you. might be an ok stage if u play like an absolute *********** fagot

arguable: fd - fd can be really good because you can wiggle (and by wiggle i mean tap back and forth once after the hitstun is over) out of her up+b and punish with nair/grab or sometimes usmash from almost any part of the stage. if the samus is really good at edgeguarding/you suck at recovering i wouldn't pick this level cuz theres no platforms to recover onto (actually a big deal in this matchup)

my personal stage priority vs. a top samus: stadium >> yoshi's > battlefield > fod > FD > DL

People do it so often because Falcon's never jump out. If it's as tight of a timing as you say, I'm not really surprised. I'd still go to FD and run "CGs" on Falcon..

Man I hate Falcon so much. s2j ran train on my inexperienced ***.
i only skimmed thru ur set with johnny but the biggest mistake i saw was never using nair -> bair on his shield, it's infinitely better than nair -> shine for like 8/10 situations, the other 2 situations is where you actually have to use your brain and do like 6 different things really well

oh and also not using shine oos when he ****ed up his nair/jab pressure, but that's actually something you kinda need a lot of falcon experience for -___- (NO JOHNS THO LOL)

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Waveshine oos using the c stick is really, really, easy. Like it is arguably easier than learning to SH out of shine. It's really just a timing thing like links in traditional fighters, doesn't really require any speed whatsoever. That and I'm new to fox, and haven't played people much, just grinding tech skill for the moment.
Are you holding the C-stick to buffer the jump? because that would make waveshine oos ridiculously difficult against real opponents because you're have to anticipate when your shieldstun is going to end frameperfectly in order to land the waveshine.

thats way harder than just learning the muscle memory for it (which is already hard enugh)

Ocho(*8*)

Smash Ace
@ lovage: thanks for answering. now i wonder what that samus was thinking when they took me to yoshis..

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
arguable: fd - fd can be really good because you can wiggle (and by wiggle i mean tap back and forth once after the hitstun is over) out of her up+b and punish with nair/grab or sometimes usmash from almost any part of the stage. if the samus is really good at edgeguarding/you suck at recovering i wouldn't pick this level cuz theres no platforms to recover onto (actually a big deal in this matchup)
mashing B is easier than wiggling!

but yeah.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
What do you do on FD if they missile cancel -> approach behind it and pressure you? I feel okay about the stage vs. samus but I feel like I need a platform to jump on if she missiles

I know in general she won't have time to set it up, but if she knocks you away with something then she might be able to

Lovage

Smash Hero
i would just shield all her **** and eventually WD back (like after the ftilt)

there's a 1/10 chance they'll try to grab so u gotta have some intuition on what to do, but there's nothing really wrong with just shielding her ****

sanchaz

Smash Lord
just like to add that silly stage rainbow cruise wrecks samus as well, if its legal

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
1. This is the only negative I can forsee, but even then you're looking at a trade at worst (assuming they up and then attack asap) bc fox is fast enuff to just nair in space or put out some hitbox
2. From my experience, since you start up another run prior to the second thunders, sdi doesn't really matter. They di away, they fall right into your space. They sdi behind you, they still get hit with the shine and end up a lil farther. Tho if the sdi and then tech the shine its game over for the combo, word up on the tech read.
3. Stage size doesn't matter, this set up can be controlled to go either way at either time*, since the goal isn't to throw the opponent off stage or infinite them, just mix them up

*tech skill depending

Then if they think they're super cool and try and up to mindgames, just do another drill and bam, remindgamed

Oh yeah... I forgot you can tech the shine...

lol I'm dumb.

But yeah SDI the dair away so it doesn't link to shine is a legitimate concern, I've seen it happen, etc. This is basically like trying to Mofo combo a space animal. We don't do the Mofo combo very often nowadays because people DI out of it. I don't see why this would be different.

SDI also poses a serious concern if you're trying to do back and forth shenanigans.

Beyond a second iteration, I'm seriously doubting the practicality of it. Going back and forth seems pointless because you might as well just grab them if you're aiming to damage. The main purpose of this seems, at best, like a positional technique.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Are you holding the C-stick to buffer the jump? because that would make waveshine oos ridiculously difficult against real opponents because you're have to anticipate when your shieldstun is going to end frameperfectly in order to land the waveshine.

thats way harder than just learning the muscle memory for it (which is already hard enugh)
I'm using the Cstick to jump, but I'm not just holding up and buffering. As far as I can tell it's just like using the control stick only way easier. The only other person I've had do it said it was definitely easier, it just seemed really slow and weird for him, so he didn't like it. (he can already waveshine out of sheild)

I played someone yesterday and didn't really have that much of a problem with it. It wasn't as consistent as against cpus, but they only jab my shield, so I don't have much shield stun practice. I don't see how it could be any harder than control stick, which I haven't messed with in a while, but idk, I like my method, give it a shot and see if what you think might happen does happen.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I can vouch for that method. I started using it a few days ago, and it is WAY easier for grounded shines OoS (and thus waveshining). It just takes getting used to.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
What kind of critique was that?

It basically said "hitting him is good, having him hit you is bad"

I only watched the last two games, Navn, but I was quite impressed. I like the fox a lot. I especially like your use of the uair trap on Yoshi's top platform. It's somewhat underused.
Welp, I never was a professional critiquer.

Navn

Smash Apprentice
What got you ***** in the first match was that you didn't hit him with your shine once. You had so, so many oppurtunities, like shield pressure or after an aerial on him at low %. Aerials put him on the ground, which is a bad place for anyone. You did this more in match 3 (didn't want any other matches than these, I don't have the time) and therefore it was closer.

You did a very good job at punishing his missed attacks with grabs, keep doing that until it stops working. Getting grabbed is a problem, it often ends in kills. As Fox you really have to maintain your skill and be faster than him. You definitely shouldn't get shieldgrabbed, like at 11:50. Also, don't Firefox so close to the stage.
After teching the Fsmash and surviving you deserved the win in my book, fully. I'm really jealous of your grab game, I need that to beat Marths as well ;o.

The main problem is that you played with Zgetto tag, no one should ever do that. Not even Zgetto.
Thanks! To me, it felt like it was more of a spacing-problem in the first match. I think getting openings is more important than capitalizing on them, since the latter is somewhat easier to improve. Things that tend to get me is when i just can't get into Marth's range (i feel that if they time their attack right, they will always win), and when he decides to overshoot something like an Fsmash which can jinx my spacing. Thoughts on that?

Thanos828

Smash Journeyman
Question about MJDL/SHDL

I figured it would be best to post in here instead of making a new thread.

I'm contemplating learning to mini jump with the control stick for MJDL/SHDL (and only for that). Is there some glaring difference to why using a button is better, like DI during the move or something?

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
You get more control with a button, I feel. Of course, if control stick is easier/more comfortable, then by all means go for it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I figured it would be best to post in here instead of making a new thread.

I'm contemplating learning to mini jump with the control stick for MJDL/SHDL (and only for that). Is there some glaring difference to why using a button is better, like DI during the move or something?
i find it a lot harder to reverse SDHL, or do a running SDHL, if I were to use control stick to sh. for shine SHDL flashiness i use control stick but for any other situation, i use Y.

Top Bottom