• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
yay, won my second monthly in a row using mostly fox. vids will be up within this week, hoping you n1gs can help :3

what does it even mean for a character to have untapped potential?
I would think he means how no1 can play anywhere near a TAS video

JPOBS

Smash Hero
well that counts for every character and every situation in every game ever.

if "untapped potential" is just a reference to the inability of human to replicate perfection, then thats pretty blatant and unhelpful observation to make. .

Brookman

Smash Hero
what does it even mean for a character to have untapped potential?
I am referring to how people limit their play style because of what they see and or what they are told. People don't experiment enough on their own and haven't drawn any of their own conclusions.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
way to articulate badly
I have made at least 10 posts over the years of new things that foxes don't do that I think they should experiment with after discovering them while I mess around
and guess what? People disregard them instantly, usually without even testing them. Often times they're ignored entirely and never responded to.

so if you want people to be "drawing their own conclusions" then you should do it yourself and lead by example
What motivation do I have to try to help you guys? I'll help people for the respect. Otherwise, I keep my knowledge to myself. It's one of those "show me you deserve it" kind of deals.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I am referring to how people limit their play style because of what they see and or what they are told. People don't experiment enough on their own and haven't drawn any of their own conclusions.
You and i see eye to eye. I dont like seeing the limited play style. People must remember that this is not only Competitive Melee. It's SSBM. What happened to using shine as a reflector? What happened to flutter hush? Every single tourney, a fox player would play someone else, the other player would say in his mind (it's another robotic fox), then punish the fox player.

I mean look at Mango's Marth. He's the only Marth that uses Dsmash effectively. Players need to broaden their minds and understand every single move their character has and the properties each move has.

I was watching over Armada vs PP at pound V and Armada surprised everyone with Toad on Yoshi's Story. I haven't seen a peach player use Toad in six years. All im saying is players need to broaden their minds when playing.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Mango doesn't use marth's dsmash effectively, he repeatedly tries it in every even semi-plausible situation; then, when it works, it looks like he used it effectively >_> Mango trolls so hard

And the ganon/falco thing was hilarious, I just can't believe that in a 3 v 1 they actually camped... europeans so gay /america

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
Mango doesn't use marth's dsmash effectively, he repeatedly tries it in every even semi-plausible situation; then, when it works, it looks like he used it effectively >_> Mango trolls so hard

And the ganon/falco thing was hilarious, I just can't believe that in a 3 v 1 they actually camped... europeans so gay /america
lol he had 3 lives they all had 1..one hit of any sort is death for them, it looked pretty hilarious to camp him like that

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Cosmo used marth's dsmash better than mango, and was the best marth in the MW before mango even touched the character.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Lol, can you imagine a Ganon trying to move while there's 3 Falcos beating the **** out of him? haha. Even for me it's prob gonna be hella hard.
It was only when I saw him down-b that I realized it was a human >_<
Jabs and up-bs are super standard level 9 fare, which is why I thought it was just a level 9 hahaha

Palpi

Smash Hero
Random thought, I'm going to bring hand warmers to the next tournament because I tried playing fox last night with really cold hands and I felt like I had down syndrome.

:phone:

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Is nair>nair>usmash a good finisher against Marth?
I saw lucky do on Mango but the second nair, Mango DI it. Im not sure.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Everything depends on DI...~_~
Nair is a pretty good DI trap though ... survival DI leads to Uair kills, away DI can sometimes be chased into USmash

Divinokage

Smash Legend
What in the.. Linguini Fox?

Edit: Lol nice, backthrow, shine to backair, shine. Classic. =D

Though I think you need to punish with grab a lot more since Fox has a lot of nasty setups after a grab especially in dittos. But I'll let the other Fox mains have their say too.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
@linguini I liked the bthrow>bair>shine.

Edit: what do you guys think about using up b for combos? Im trying to find new ways how to use fox.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Edit: what do you guys think about using up b for combos? Im trying to find new ways how to use fox.
If we've learned anything from my posts the last week or so, you can't get anything productive out of this sort of thing. You're going to have to put the work in for yourself and if you have a lot of success in friendly/practice and then take it to a tournament and still have success AND get matches recorded, then and only then will anyone give a **** about up and b.

In friendly matches tho, I like up and b tho and I **** around with it a lot. Try using it on shields, it gets really funny- just make sure you're airborne alternatively you can take a grounded up b to the edge.

@ linguini: you **** around too much and your opponent lets you get away with it. I know you probably don't plan on playing a serious set as fox but vs. a more talented/offensive opponent that sorta **** doesn't fly. If there's one thing I was able to take from the first fox ditto, your friend likes to go for really hasty reads using grab/up smash and is generally too scared to stay in close quarters* with you. If you play him often, you've trained him well ;D.

p.s. on a scale of 1-10, how easily do you see through his movement/approach? tbh it looks like you don't even give a **** about what he's doing.

unknown522

Some guy
oh yeah, 4/20. I forgot about that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcVvQLJac54

Check out my fox, starts at 8:18

let me know what u guys think/tipsies
man, I had a long write-up but then the boards decided to log me out, so the edit didn't save. Now I'm kinda annoyed and regret not saving a backup.

But yeah, long story short; things I noticed in the matches:

- too many rolls. Use your WD oos more often instead. It may create more openings for you, since it's less of a commitment.

- when you knock him down and he misses a tech. You try to follow his getup a lot. You could just attack him while he's laying there.

- You did FH b-air approaches a couple of times and either got punished for it, or got no follow-up. When you have openings like that then use your drill and combo it into something (grab, shine, u-tilt).

- Though I just mentioned stuff about FH approaches. It's usually bad to do in general. They can DD-grab, or time moves to beat yours, and that can result to a lot of damage if not a whole stock.

- You need to punish his whiffed moves more often. Especially with grab. I think you grabbed him like twice in the first game.

- Comboing off of hits is important. You get a lot of random single hits, but they don't lead to anywhere.

- You Attempt some cool situational stuff that could've worked throughout the matches, but then you miss or don't position well so then you get punished for trying them.

I'll watch it again later and maybe add some stuff, but that's all for now.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Colbol's fox is getting better in every tournament. He found a new way how to kill falco. First he would grab him by the edge then wait till falco jumps off of him then gimp him with a shine.

Top Bottom