• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

Walt

Smash Ace
Figured I'd change my avatar to something I used to use on various forums back in like '04. Looks kinda choppy here hmmm =/

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Thoroughly enjoyed joe's post and now I understand what he means by underperformed. I agree, he probably doesn't practice much and as such his personal performance doesn't stack up to what hes capable of, his full potential if you will.

i loved his play at gsg2, might go watch some of those vids right now lol

JPOBS

Smash Hero
I would put my icon of my main, but you know the adage:
Reveal not every secret you have to a friend, for how can you tell but that friend may hereafter become an enemy.

:troll:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
I actually know a lot about the roy matchup from playing with ripple, I can compose a write-up on the matchup for people if they really want one

Tomacawk

Smash Master
roy may be a bad character, but that by no means guarantees your victory
people over stress matchups in my opinion, it's player vs player not character vs character
a bad matchup just means it takes more experience to win

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
When project M finishes, fox/Wolf will be my main.

Roy's dtilt can mess up fox. it can lead to a fsmash.

What do guys think about Zhu's fox?

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
so..it's been crazy difficult for me, but i've been attempting to shield pressure with fox by flicking up on the analog stick instead of pressing X/Y, which helps with aerials coming out quick as hell, faster than I could ever do with X. It makes my shield pressure very fast, but it's hard to control for now

anyone else use short hop with analog stick?

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
I use analog stick for short hop.

Im trying to practise my neutral attacks with Z. It's really hard cause i often times miss my L cancel.

I heard that Jman uses Z for neutral attacks. Not sure if it's tru but thats what i heard.

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i can't resist another opportunity to tell everybody that i use the stick to jump. i find it semi-easier to short hop that way. oh and i wave shine with just the stick and R (multishine w/o buttons too i can do it with falco much better of course). the only application where you neeeed to use x/y is to conserve running momentum so that's about the only time i use those grey buttons. the two methods give essentially the same output otherwise and i don't think it allows for faster aerials just do what works for you. and yah i didn't know there was another way to jump in 64 either

also you're right JPOBS lawls

trahhSTEEZY

Smash Champion
i can't resist another opportunity to tell everybody that i use the stick to jump. i find it semi-easier to short hop that way. oh and i wave shine with just the stick and R (multishine w/o buttons too i can do it with falco much better of course). the only application where you neeeed to use x/y is to conserve running momentum so that's about the only time i use those grey buttons. the two methods give essentially the same output otherwise and i don't think it allows for faster aerials just do what works for you. and yah i didn't know there was another way to jump in 64 either

well for me, if I use X to jump, I have to slide my finger to A after. If I flick the analog stick up, my finger never leaves A and the aerial comes out instantly. some people like jman can already aerial that fast anyways, so of course it is preference.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I've been using the analogue stick to jump for a while now.. . Druggedfox uses it too, and probably some others

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)

Pfft, running momentum be damned, I use the stick for literally every jumping function except JC grabs.

I get the impression that using stick to jump isn't that unique anymore. Sure, still the vast minority, but plenty of people do it apparently.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
The only time I use stick to jump is when I am shine --> Bairing because I'm cool or very very occasionally when spamming aerial --> shine pressure on the back of someone's shield.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
up is useful for shine jc usmash out of uthrow on falcon or a run. as cyrain said it's great for shine bairs, too
I use a mixture of control stick/x/y. I have increased my tech consistency by using as many buttons as I can--I use them interchangeably without thinking about it. Sometimes I claw (if I'm playing peach I'm almost always clawing)...it really helps me do ledgehop aerials and stuff

PK Webb

Smash Champion
fox prioritizes him as long as u dont challenge the dair and i believe our nairs have equal priority i think but if im wrong plz sum1 correct me

Tomacawk

Smash Master
young link has little you should worry about, but what he does have is difficult to deal with unless you're experienced:
never-ending projectiles with multiple paths they can take
nair gimps off the ledge
surprisingly quick speed

you can cc pretty much every approach he has. if you don't cc, bair will beat anything (maybe not fair? if he is approaching with fair just shield it or dd around it and grab)

zoning/spacing is the vast majority of this matchup. You want to either a) laser camp your balls off from really far away--the lasers mess up bomb trajectory (maybe boomerang too but I'm not sure) and rack up serious damage, or b) stay medium to close range to young link. You should be close enough to punish bomb pulls and other stuff. The range you want is approximately just outside his grab range. This should give you enough time to react to an approach, to punish a bomb pull, to block boomerangs, etc. Ideally, put your back to him so you can utilt/bair anything and everything he decides to toss at you (I think utilt can even block a boomerang if you wanna be fancy)

grab the ledge for ledge guards. bair is your friend. shine spike him if he's trying to hookshot--make sure it doesn't hit you out of his air dodge or he's gunna ledge drop nair gimp you.
if you have to ledge guard from on the stage, you can catch his up b with angled ftilts. You can also cc on top of the ledge and spam downsmash

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Young Link is easy, just be gay.

You outcamp him. Your moves can be positioned or timed to beat his non-sword moves (Nair). He has a really limited OOS game because of his crappy shield grab so you can just go berserk with aerials if he ever blocks.

Lovage

Smash Hero
depends on their percent/where they are on the stage. charged usmash is a good choice but may not combo at low percent. grab is good and standard but only use if you're sure you can get a followup from the grab (stage position.)

short hop Uair is not as good anymore imo because it's usually harder to combo at super low percents and it's pretty likely for them to tech the 2nd hit on the ground.

when the thunders leaves them close to the edge (but not too close) i like to do a really late nair into double shine. they can DI the away from the shines usually but most people won't expect it so it's fun to try.

Top Bottom