• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A -Fox Advice/Questions Topic-

usually people dont know to react to it and they just grab the ledge. on stages with standard platform height theyll usually end up near the ledge with limited options on the ground (thats why its good int he first place)

shining them towards the stage and wavelanding on a low platform is good tho; you can get to them faster.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
ehh..
how you play is determined almost entirely by whatever bodily condition you're used to.

words like "sleep deprived", "half asleep", "in the zone" are just lamens terms for more complicated physiological processes, and are almost meaningless when being transfered from person to person when trying to assess how it will affect their respective play.

Emotion 100% can have a role in your quality of play as well, but this also varies from person to person for a number of reasons. some people will play better when mad for example, some will play worst.

shazbot

Smash Apprentice
Lol Joe i saw your name from the title page

This is Ed Honey Btw

haven't played in ages, nobody in at saint louis university likes melee :(

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
ehh..
how you play is determined almost entirely by whatever bodily condition you're used to.

words like "sleep deprived", "half asleep", "in the zone" are just lamens terms for more complicated physiological processes, and are almost meaningless when being transfered from person to person when trying to assess how it will affect their respective play.

Emotion 100% can have a role in your quality of play as well, but this also varies from person to person for a number of reasons. some people will play better when mad for example, some will play worst.
psst... youd sound smarter if you spelled laymen right :p

Tomacawk

Smash Master
Lol Joe i saw your name from the title page

This is Ed Honey Btw

haven't played in ages, nobody in at saint louis university likes melee :(
I live in Edwardsville. Do you have a car?
If you take a bus to Edwardsville I will pick you up. You could walk to my house from the station (20 minute walk if you're slow) but I won't make you do that in the winter.
WashU has a good amount of melee players. Have you talked to them/do you know them?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92583

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i'm terrible it at DIing fox's up throw in fox dittos and fox falco. I always get thrown straight up and am helplessly comboed with whatever he chooses. what do i need to do with my dumb thumbs? and yah RaynEX woo Hap-E-berf-dai

Brookman

Smash Hero
Im terrible at deciding whether to ugrab or usmash peach after a waveshine. Any advice.
I'll draw a flow chart for you. too lazy to draw it so I'll just write:

For the out line, asssume you are facing towards the right edge in all situations.

you shine peach:

I. Close to the edge
a. she fell to the edge > resetting position
b. she fell off the stage, missing the edge > edge guard opportunity*
c. she is still on stage
_____ci. is she at kill percent?
________yes. up smash
________no.
_____cii. is she at medium percent?
________yes. down smash
________no.
_____ciii. are you good?
________yes. Drill cross up > shine to the other side of the stage
________no. grab
II. Center Stage
a. waveshine to the edge > see section I.
III. Opposite side of the stage.
a. waveshine to the edge > see section I.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
well to be fair, theres no way to explain how to DI fox's upthrow. if you keep not DI'ing it, the only solution, is to DI it. so.....i mean if you really want a flow chart :/

-Did you get grabbed?
no:

yes:
--->Did you DI?
-----no: get death combo'd.
----yes: escape is a possibility.

thats about it.
his question was about decision making.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It really doenst matter whether you DI or not when it comes to fox's up throw. I suppose the best would be to DI behind him @ very low percents because people can get tripped up in the turn animation. Aside from that. . . honestly, just don't let your opponent grab you.

FoxLisk

Smash Lord
you cant really waveshine a competent player anymore. they'll just SDI out after a couple of them.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
well to be fair, theres no way to explain how to DI fox's upthrow. if you keep not DI'ing it, the only solution, is to DI it. so.....i mean if you really want a flow chart :/

-Did you get grabbed?
no:

yes:
--->Did you DI?
-----no: get death combo'd.
----yes: escape is a possibility.

thats about it.
his question was about decision making.
??

DIing usually gets you comboed harder as a fastfaller vs. Fox.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
you cant really waveshine a competent player anymore. they'll just SDI out after a couple of them.
meh. do it better.

??

DIing usually gets you comboed harder as a fastfaller vs. Fox.
not at lowish percents (i assume thats what he's talking about but i guess i could be wrong)

DI'ing is the best way to escape at low percents cuz it gives them the best chance to mess up. like even great players sometimes to upsmash at 0% when their opponent DI's away. then you just tech away and ta-da, you're out of the ****.

small chance of escape (by them miscalculating slightly) > garuntee upsmash/regrab imo

leffen

Smash Champion
I think turn around U-tilt is really good out of Shine vs Peach.
Yeah except:
Why would you ever turn around?
Turning around is slower than just walking forward for 1-3 frames and doing reversed, and easier to be consistent with. And if you do it reversed and they DI forward, you can either turnaround utilt again or start dair /nair.

Oh utilting at ~ 50% is **** since it combos into second hit uair ( which kills ).

PS: Waveshine to grab is a crime at low percents vs peach, use something else!

leffen

Smash Champion
Eh, with the peach being how drunk?
Try doing that vs armada, smash DI + good DI on the throws / uairs = impossible.

I dont even know if it true combos, even if they miss the DI.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
Can't you hold down on the Cstick or something and stay grounded from the utilt until a pretty high percent?

Yeah people don't really do this so it's good, but holding down on the Cstick doesn't really cost Peach anything since it doesn't mess up her DI on other moves.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Yeah except:
Why would you ever turn around?
Turning around is slower than just walking forward for 1-3 frames and doing reversed, and easier to be consistent with. And if you do it reversed and they DI forward, you can either turnaround utilt again or start dair /nair.
??
turning around takes one frame, its not slow at all.

and since when have fox players concerned themselves with ease of use :awesome:

Top Bottom