• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Falco General Discussion ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captainbrawl

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking about this for awhile.

Is the "Chain grab to Spike" underated?

I mean Falco can PWG his opponent if he needs to turn around.
Plus Falco can easily CG to spike half the roster with enough damage & a little edge hog.

CG to Spike seems very abusable.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Has there been an official word on the CG to footstool to Dair to Laser lock combo? Whether you can roll in time, who it can be done to, etc..?

The Falconator

Smash Cadet
Falco is one of my favorites. I grab most of the time, and I love his areal attacks. He's much better in Brawl than in Melee. I think it's cool that they actually gave him some new moves that arn't the same as Fox!:laugh:

Royale

Smash Journeyman
does any one else here notice that on Falcos idle animation, while hes facing right. His right hand has some weird distortion to it. Like 2 or 4 polygon faces were not assigned to the skeleton animation. So you see this weird pump move up then distort back onto the model. It only happends when he swings his arm back towards his tail feathers.

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call Falco's CG to spike underrated because most of the Falco players I know use it. It could just be because I abuse it against them so much tho :p

There's a good number of cast members I've found that can DI down to get out of range of the spike if you're CG'd them higher than about 20. I've been trying to compile a list of these characters and when it's more useful to combo them from CG to a nair or bair while still on stage just to get extra damage, rather than missing on the spike. If someone has already written this info out, could someone link me to it? If not I can post it when it's done.

ungulateman

Smash Journeyman
Random tip: Against taller bosses, jump and use Falco's blaster. It's faster. Narrow, but might be useful.

H@wK

Smash Ace
San Juan P.R. PKMN D/P FC - 4940 2077 9502
Falco is one of my favorites. I grab most of the time, and I love his areal attacks. He's much better in Brawl than in Melee. I think it's cool that they actually gave him some new moves that arn't the same as Fox!:laugh:
Brawl's Falco looks great and is solid, but Melee's Falco is the Bread. The speed, the shine combos, the red lasers (even tho the blue ones look grear), the good times. Falco is what got me into the competitive scene :)

Blue Falco ftw

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Falco's Blue costume is too **** smexy. I gotta tell ya, it's half the reason I'm using him now. Blue Falco costume is good luck, or some kind of intimidation symbol, like Falcon's manhood, or Ganon's murderous aura of murder.

I always liked Falco (archives will show I was torn in the early days of Brawl, what to do about my favor for Falco). Now that I have SHDL basics down (took all these months to get the rhythm: jump, wait, shoot shoot ~jump WAIT, shoot shoot JUMP WAIT . . .), and am getting the Phantasm cancels, I feel like I can try actually practicing him.

. . . need to catch up on some reading, apparently. :p

J4pu

Smash Champion
OK so you know how you can't do Dair spikes off stage if falco has already reached the apex of his jump and is about stage height because you will FF to your death?
Well a long time ago I was thinking of ways we could correct this and I thought up holding the analog stick down during the entire upward motion of the jump so that when you want to Dair after your apex you won't FF since it won't count as a down input. I tried this out a few times and it technically works but I just never really incorporated it into real matches since holding down limits your aerial control.
I was wondering if anybody else actually uses this method in matches and how often it pays off for you..

an interesting yet useless fact I discovered while testing this is if you are holding down throughout your whole jump (starting anytime while rising and holding the rest of the jump, you don't need to hold it as soon as you leave the ground, just before you hit the apex) and then Cstick any aerial other than Dair it will result in a FF. So if you are trying this and decide to use Bair instead at some point, let go of down first.

Yes i realize setting C-stick to attack will accomplish the same thing in an easier way but I use Cstick for fast smashes.

D1

Banned via Administration
Haha I do this all the time.

Great read for people that need it though, awesome job there bro.

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
I think something noteworthy to say here is that you can actually drop off the stage and dair without fastfalling if you hold down before you fall off. I'm not sure there are many situations where you'd replace the bair with this, maybe against MK shuttle loop? I know that it at least ties when it's not sweetspotted, and I'm sure it would look pretty badass if you did sweetspot it during one.

J4pu

Smash Champion
but how do you hold down before running off the stage? If you slant it so that it's angled down while you are running you won't be able to run off the side ( i use this for taunting after kills)
I guess if you slant it down while walking, but that's so slow.

GodAwful

Smash Rookie
I think something noteworthy to say here is that you can actually drop off the stage and dair without fastfalling if you hold down before you fall off. I'm not sure there are many situations where you'd replace the bair with this, maybe against MK shuttle loop? I know that it at least ties when it's not sweetspotted, and I'm sure it would look pretty badass if you did sweetspot it during one.

I've found that when I'm charging off the stage to kill some one trying to recover that's very close to the stage chucking a b-air out is safer option than a d-air. Using the d-air you seem to have to fast-fall, which can lead to nasty ledge-hogging; and you're also throwing your hurtbox out there to get owned.

When I use the b-air I can space myself a little further from the stage, to stick them with my leg, which will stage spike 'em. It also seems like the b-air is easier to aim in a way so that I'll hit them, and their recovery will miss me.

HMD

Smash Journeyman
I think using the d-air at those times is the best thing to do unless they have lots of damage then i will strike with b-air

J4pu

Smash Champion
so guys, I'm not a complete scrub anymore, just got back from a decent sized tourney, 60+ people and tied for 17th. I'm not awesome yet but at least I'm progressing
only part that really disappointed me was that I lost to a Pit.
So, I have a question: When you are hanging on the edge and Pit uses UpB and follows the slope of FD towards the edge, what's the best way to punish?
I tried waiting til Pit was pretty close then Bair since your whole body is a hit box, but the Pit grabbed the edge and got invincibility the same time my Bair came out, maybe I should have done it sooner.
But what is the best option in this scenario?
Oh, and I also need tons of help with Kirby.

Shadower

Smash Cadet
I started to main Falco like a month ago, just came back to these forums after a 8 month absence, I've played in a few tournaments so far and the one I am currently in I am in the Quarter finals (64 people in tourny) for some reason I have real troubles against Samus, either I own her or I get owned. Any advice?

8AngeL8

Smash Lord
Don't be too eager to close the gap. Camp while she will let you, making sure you make good use of the reflector to keep the damage on her instead of you.

I find staying more grounded that usual helps against Samus because she actually has some pretty scary combos if you're on top of her, so space with f-tilt and jab combo. Dair is a good kill move since she's not as mobile as you in the air.

WaterTails

Smash Lord
Hey, kids. I've got a quick question about the laser lock before heading to a tournament. What exactly is the timing like? I can easily get three or four lasers in, but beyond that, I start messing up.

Is it worth trying to learn the timing within, like, an hour, or is anything beyond a few lasers considered too much?

Blad01

Smash Lord
Well the timing is : AS FAST AS YOU CAN ! :p

I've a question too... How could we make SH Dair a safe approach ? I really use this move too much, and get shieldgrabbed out of it. I know, i can just play defensive, or with others moves, but i like this apprach.

So i'm gonna try :

- SH Dair, DI behind opponent, Jab his face
- SH Dair, DI back
- SH Dair, Fastfall, Dodge / Jab (i don't think that works)

I also mix up with FJ Dair, and that works pretty good ^^ But i would like to have your point of vie on that ;)

(It seems that mindgames are how to approach with Falco, so i'm gonna try a lot of mindgames too like empty SH, SH behing opponent > Bair etc, but i like my SH Dair ;P)

Vlade

Social Outcast
If I wanna approach with sh Dair, I always DI back away from the opponent. It's probably the safest method, especially against crawling snakes. Although be warned that it is a probably a lot harder to get the sweetspot so you can combo into bairs, etc.

J4pu

Smash Champion
Went to another tourney today (I have no idea if anybody sees these posts or even cares but w/e)
All the pros were at a UCLA tourney so I figured i would go **** a little PnT tourney
I won 1 game out of 2 sets
I don't know how I lost the first set but something that I suppose is a large Falco problem caused me to lose the 2nd game in the 2nd set, Falco has a terribly difficult time getting non-gimp kills, vs GW at Japes, GW lived to 150+%, Upsmash doesnt work with the high ceilings so I was lost as to what to do, Bair just wasnt landing for me.
*starts randomly thinking to himself and loses interest in finishing this post since it's pointless anyways*

Vlade

Social Outcast
Went to another tourney today (I have no idea if anybody sees these posts or even cares but w/e)
All the pros were at a UCLA tourney so I figured i would go **** a little PnT tourney
I won 1 game out of 2 sets
I don't know how I lost the first set but something that I suppose is a large Falco problem caused me to lose the 2nd game in the 2nd set, Falco has a terribly difficult time getting non-gimp kills, vs GW at Japes, GW lived to 150+%, Upsmash doesnt work with the high ceilings so I was lost as to what to do, Bair just wasnt landing for me.
*starts randomly thinking to himself and loses interest in finishing this post since it's pointless anyways*
I hear you. GW at japes can be a real pain in the a**. Actually, lemme rephrase that. Gw is a real pain in the a**. Unfortunately our lasers are still not effective on this stage coz of his GW's unholy bucket. Without openings created by the lasers, falco finds it way too difficult to land kills. You probably already know this already but learn to mindgame - if you watch some pros like SK92 he is great at mindgaming into a fsmash. But of course you can't exactly 'teach' mindgames, and on Jjapes it is so difficult to land kills when the opponent is just jumping around everywhere avoiding your attacks. I wonder what % GW dies from usmash on Jjapes, although if he was on 150% he probably should be KO'd (that's of course if you ever get the chance to land one). GW is still a match-up I have problems with, being falco's most difficult match-up without the lasers.

Sorry if I said stuff that was common knowledge ;)

StarHawk_30

Smash Rookie
My favorite falco costume is green, my favorite falco combo is pillaring my opponents with down airs and up smashes/up tilts until their damage is high enough to kill with a down smash or a back air.

Boofy!

Smash Champion
hey I'm slowly learning falco and i have a few quick questions...

1) how do u do the pivot grab for Cging?

and..

actually thats it.. couldnt find it in the sticky =/

1st answer gets a dollar

davizinho

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think about a RAR'd sh-dair to usmash? Is the "bounce" (lack of a better term) "big"(once again :/) enough for the usmash to hit?

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
I need tips fighting against Link... btw, davizinho, I think the bounce is too big.

davizinho

Smash Apprentice
Probably at higher percents, but at lower maybe. I need to do some testing. This is highly situational, however, if you dair'd someone from the air so it meteored into the stage, then maybe. I'll do some testing and check back.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
hey I'm slowly learning falco and i have a few quick questions...

1) how do u do the pivot grab for Cging?

and..

actually thats it.. couldnt find it in the sticky =/

1st answer gets a dollar
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4708429&postcount=1

scroll down till u see boost pivot grabbing

What do you guys think about a RAR'd sh-dair to usmash? Is the "bounce" (lack of a better term) "big"(once again :/) enough for the usmash to hit?
risky. your better off doing a dair - jab - grab... save your upsmash for later

J4pu

Smash Champion
ok guys so you know that trick where you set Cstick to attack so you can CG > Dair gimp Fox?
well I used it in tourney today and got foot-stooled to my death, so yea, watch out for that.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman
ok guys so you know that trick where you set Cstick to attack so you can CG > Dair gimp Fox?
well I used it in tourney today and got foot-stooled to my death, so yea, watch out for that.
Fox? You mean woff? Or does it work for both?

Palpi

Smash Hero
I picked up Falco for the first day today, gotten used to his laz0rz and his shine, and since i also play ike a bit, i tried some Jab Cancels, and my friend being lucario was extremely effected by them. Jab jab (cancel) dtilt,nair and "combos" like that were bread and butter. Is there any extent to his jab / tilt game that could be punished (improved?) or is that his forte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom