• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~~ Falco General Discussion ~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hello all !

I propose you a general thread on Falco. Simply talk about what you want : Costums, stages, share little tips...

However,there are already others useful threads. If you want :

-> To ask a question :
Take a look at the link thread, or go to the Q&A thread.

-> To talk about match-up :
Contribute to the Weekly Match-Up Discussion, or give your point of view on the Falco's worst match-up.

-> To see a VS video : See the video thead : http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=166876

To begin the discussion : Which costum do you use ?

Personnally, the Black One ^^ (I don't feel original XD)

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
I usez Green wen i wanna feel liek in da Armay of 1 lolz

(seriously though, I do that with Falco and ROB)

zzzzzzzzzz

Smash Cadet
this is a very good idea, but as a kind of directory. i like the addition of the links to other threads. btw does anyone see the mods for this section around?

zamz

Smash Journeyman
Gold Falco ftw. But I sometimes play red to change it up a bit. I really wish Falco's green suit looked as vibrant and colorful as Fox's...

bowz10190

Smash Apprentice
I use the brown/black costume.
Another thing, am I the only one who feels bad laser locking somebody? xD
Not sure why, but I always let them out extremely early because they are so helpless.
Same with chaingrabs to spikes, If i do it more than once per game, it's because they are d-bags, or I'm losing.

Rat

Smash Lord
There is no reason to feel bad if you laser lock/chain grab spike. They were the ones that forgot the tech or got grabbed, so it's there own fault.

Read this

Ok here is what I want to ask. What are your best approaches/attacks?

Here is what I've found:
Fire off, attacking with fire. I hardly ever attack without there being a laser first. I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I find myself constantly avoiding combat until I get a laser off (ie I'm to rigid.)

That being said,

these work well:
DashA->Upsmash (the cancelly thingy):
Immediate SideB (depends on the range, ie don't jump into the ****):
FJ(sometimes SH) Dair: <-this has to be spaced properly but it totally *****.

These work ok:
Walk Ftilt:
Grab (people seem to spot dodge a lot)
Jab (+ tricksies)
Jab Combo
Boost Upsmash (throw out to kill)
DashA

I thought these worked but then they didn't
SH Nair (shieldgrab)
Utilt (Isn't fast enough and too small of a hit box. I find Upsmash so much more applicable.)
SH Uair (not enough shield stun)
Fsmash (waaay to much lag. I need to throw this out less.)

Attacks I think that suck:
SH Fair (laaaaaaag)
Shine (I'm still messing around with this thing. But it's sooooo laggy)

Mostly my game is defensive/intercepty but do you guys have any other really successful approaches?

Blad01

Smash Lord
To approache an opponent, i also use :

SHL > Dash Attack to Up Smash
SHL > Grab

Shielddash (you dash and shield towards your opponent, ready to counter him)

RAR Bair (Very good if mixted with RAR Empty Shorp and SHL).

You already told the others ^^

The shine... I use it sometimes as a surprising edgeguard move, or just defensivily (rarely, because your opponent just has to jump to beat you). I also saw a back SH (you Short Hop but you go back) + Shine. It is pretty cool.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
am I the only one that feels that laser lock is....well, not that useful besides that lucky insult to injury lols on the guy that didn't tech?

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Ok here is what I want to ask. What are your best approaches/attacks?

Mostly my game is defensive/intercepty but do you guys have any other really successful approaches?
Like Blad01 said, land-cancelled lasers work WONDERS, especially if you continuously just SHL coninuously, because if it's reflected it just seems to... miss. For some odd reason.

Oh, and SH phantasm. Especially if you cancel it and move into a grab.

Shining-wise, gotta love this move, it's a great way to force the enemy into corners which you then abuse with a b-air and a spike.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I've a question : Do you think that Brawl Falco will become like Melee's Falco ? I mean, everybody sees that he's a great fighter, and everybody picks him as their main character...

I seriously hope that not :/

Blad01

Smash Lord
Hum *goes on a translation site*

I just hope that people are not going all to take Falco, by discovering that he is a part of the best. (Top Tier or Top High Tier) ;)

Also, i had a hard time today against... a lvl9 Oo oO

I don't what happened, i was maybe too tired but... He perfet shielded every move i did ! oO
At this moment i realized the importance of Jab (multiple hits), Utilt (2 hits) and SHine (hard to perfect shield, from what i've seen).

Though, i won with 2 stocks on 3, but that was surprising.

Exousia

Smash Journeyman
am I the only one that feels that laser lock is....well, not that useful besides that lucky insult to injury lols on the guy that didn't tech?
^^^^^^^^

I've a question : Do you think that Brawl Falco will become like Melee's Falco ? I mean, everybody sees that he's a great fighter, and everybody picks him as their main character...

I seriously hope that not :/
I know what you mean Blad. I hate it when people start maining Falco just because he is good and/or for the hell of it.

Its the same thing with Snake, MK , Wolf and Toon Link and I hate it.

If they use high tiers or whatever, fine, be my guest and ****, but I respect you if you chose so and so character because you like them and not just for trying to be 1337.

I'm guilty of this in Melee with Falco but also because I could not use Fox and Falco made better use of what I could not do to be competitive by using Fox or any other character (which also included God tiers such as Marth and Shiek). I just felt comfortable with Falco.

I chose Falco in Brawl after doing a huge repeat of melee and dumping Fox once more because Falco is badass even though he lost all his super comboness from Melee, but I feel comfortable with him and to me, thats what counts.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I don't think Falco is going to be as popular as he was in melee. He'll probably be at Captain Falcon level of popularity, I'm guessing. Maybe a bit more. MK is the Fox of this generation, Toon Link the Marth, Snake the... uh... well he's not Falco, he's... not comparable to any SSBM characters. :p

Anybody else feel that wave bouncing with Falco's laser is actually pretty useful? It really surprised my opponent when I SH away from them then wave bounce a laser.

Dexter Morgan

Smash Apprentice
I love using Falco, and I love using his techniques. I love chain grabbing, spiking, edgehogging, ect. I was wondering if anybody knew any good techniques for Falco. I have trouble including his up b and side b moves for combos. I also don't use his laser except for at the beginning, and I was wondering if anybody had some combos for that.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Jabs and Up tilt are godly. Use them. Check out my post in the tips thread for Falco. Pretty interesting stuff.

I rock the golden color jacket Falco. It's because we're both G.

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I love using Falco, and I love using his techniques. I love chain grabbing, spiking, edgehogging, ect. I was wondering if anybody knew any good techniques for Falco. I have trouble including his up b and side b moves for combos. I also don't use his laser except for at the beginning, and I was wondering if anybody had some combos for that.
The hitstun on the phantasm is actually quite large, and if you're quick enough you can manage a bair out of a grounded or SH'd Phantasm to the stunned opponent, assuming you space it right.

FuFu300

Smash Cadet
I personally use the blue or red costumes. I used the black one at first, but his brown jacket really irks me for some reason.

Ah, I just chained grabbed a Pikachu from one end of Battlefield to the other and finished it off with a spike...it was a Wi-Fi match, but still, I don't believe this particular player realized a simple nair would have let him get out.

Unlike most, I "main" (if that's what you want to call it) Falco because I do have a genuine love for playing as him. Before I even knew about competitive Smash, he was my favorite character in Melee, and he still is in Brawl. He wass always the first I unlocked after I did my one of my random delete-my-Melee-file-just-for-the-heck-of-it shenanigans, and once I did find out about competitive Smash (and even then I didn't know **** about tiers), he was the first I wished to main. My friends also say that Falco is like my signature character now because according to them, I got better and better with mainly Falco.

Just my little story.

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Ok, I'm hearing a lot of people getting annoyed with Game and Watch. I want to talk about his bucket effect a little bit which is our biggest pain.

I think we should start laser spamming Game and Watch-s just like every other character.

3 of Falco's lasers into the bucket only does 28% as opposed to instant kill moves from other's projectiles. It doesn't kill until about 100% from what I've seen.

Now, you probably think I'm crazy, but this actually psyches them out. When they have a full bucket, a lot of the times they think that they need to hit you with it.
As Falco players, you should all know what happens to any character when they want to try to get one move off. The full bucket throws off all of their playing even if it's only for one life. If you're able to pull off a single laser into a Boost Up smash, Side smash, or combo set up for the two it takes before a full bucket, it would help you more than that full bucket would for him (The last shot for the full bucket has no to little lag). Other than the bucket, G&W has no answer for laser spam other than to be aggressive. It sounds stupid, but it might work.

Edit: I just looked on the Game and Watch forums. When they're doing their jab attacks, DI down and away and shield (very important) Look out for the key, chef, and the down throw tech chase. Of course, be on the look out for taunt into bucket, but you should be laser spamming them anyways. Good luck to all.

FuFu300

Smash Cadet
I've only played one decent G&W over wi-fi, and I have no trouble with him. I personally think it's because his G&W is too frickin' predictable. Sure, his DSmash is broken when sweetspotted, but if you avoid that, you'll be fine.

I agree with everything in the above post as well.

Edit: I find the shine works well at frustrating G&W as well.

BEES

Smash Lord
I don't think Falco is going to be as popular as he was in melee. He'll probably be at Captain Falcon level of popularity, I'm guessing. Maybe a bit more. MK is the Fox of this generation, Toon Link the Marth, Snake the... uh... well he's not Falco, he's... not comparable to any SSBM characters. :p
About where Captain Falcon was is a pretty good place to be. Good enough so the character doesn't hold you back, but not so good it makes you look cheap.

I think MK and Snake are actually the Marth and Shiek of this game. Dominating early on... but eventually counter strategies are developed as people figure out the depth of other characters. Nobody yet looks as broken as Fox was.

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
I have a quick question about falco...
I see combo vids of falcos doing a dash attack then an up smash quickly enough for an actual combo.
I cant emulate this with my falco. I can only do it when I actually connect with the dash. Is that the only to do it, if it is, which way is the best way to do it? I do it with the c-stick then an up z.

Blad01

Smash Lord
I'm studying the question in this moment, but i believe that un-sweetspotted Uair has more potential that we all think.

Not to mention that using it more could save Bair and Dair for the kill. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom