• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emblem Lord's Emo Moment

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
Lately I have just been feeling like there is no point. I go to tournies and I place well, but I lose to Snake's and MK's. I feel like other Marth players are going through the same thing all across the world.

I also just feel like Marth's popularity is on the decline. He hasn't really been repped during the summer at all and he isn't doing nearly as well as he used to in tournies. I know this is because the pros have turned their backs on him and because Marth doesn't have alot of gimmicks like CGing and things like that. And it doesn't help that his moveset is mostly unchanged and that you CAN play him like his Melee counter part. This leads people to pre-judge Marth and abandon him for other characters.

The other thing that just bugs me is that I CONSTANTLY find the other boards/posters underestimating Marth and perpetuating false info about him or his match-ups. It's simply exhausting and extremely frustrating. I'm tired of defending Marth or trying to convince people that he is actually good. It's tiresome.

And as Marth continues to become more and more unpopular, more and more people will continue to misunderstand what he is capable of.

Another thing that I have just have to accept, is that Marth will NEVER be winning tournies consistently. He isn't good enough. He will never be on the level of MK or Snake. Those two are broken characters and Marth just isn't. So no matter how much work the Marth community puts into Marth, I find myself feeling like it's all in vain.

Which of course...pisses me the **** off.

And of course. Brawl isn't exactly an amazing game. Actually let's be real, it's a bad game. So, now I'm asking myself, "What's the point?" Why am I repping Marth so hard and doing all this work for a character who most likely will never be given any respect and will probably never become popular again?

It just seems so pointless. People in this board will see the dumbest things about Marth, like how SH fair is all he is or other nonsense like that and I don't even have the drive to correct them anymore. I don't even want to debate his match-ups anymore with other people.

And I'm also questioning should I even stay apart of this community. The Smash community has fallen and my crew that was influential in NJ's tournament scene is dying and lost pretty much all of it's unfluence. They are stuck on Melee for the most part, which I want nothing to do with, so now I feel as though I really have no reason so continue on with being apart of this community.

I know this will upset alot of you, but that's really how I feel. I haven't made up my mind yet, but...there it is.

Thoughts/comments?

I'm pretty sure that every single Smasher that has been with this game for a long time has felt this way at some point. To tell you the truth, I haven't gone to a tourny in well over a month. I blame it on the community as well, all the players that made Melee awesome are gone, so all I have left are the "new blood".

Problem is, the new blood isn't willing to learn from its elders. Most of them think they are the king **** and deserve your praise because they beat people online. I would be SO happy if I showed to a tournament and people went "Hey, how can I improve?". But alas, thats not what is happening.

Marth is best symbol of that transition, as he is the only vet to show potential in this game, while also holding a high level in the previous. As Marth players, we're feeling the strain of transition more than anyone, because our character in himself is being strained.

Personally, by September, if the *******es haven't left the tournament scene yet... I'll drop this game.

As for Marth's viability as a character in the long run versus Snake/MK.

Don't give up! I was an avid Link player in Melee. A character that had all the right tools but still wasn't amazing. Marth is exactly that to me, a truly balanced and flexible character that isn't amazing. Constant tinkering will make him viable, just not raw broken-ness like MK and Snake. You and I both know Marth is hard to understand, let alone play. We're barely scratching the surface of his potential, especially in his defensive game. MK 's and Snake's predominance will drop as tactics to beat them are discovered. If that doesn't happen, then the game is fundamentally flawed and I'll be glad to be rid of it.

I wish you luck in your thoughts Emblem Lord. I greatly respect you as a player and I really would hate to see another great Smasher leave the scene and make it that much less awesome.

SummerObsession

Smash Apprentice
One of these days when I win a tournament with Marth I'm going to get up in front of the crowd and
yell, "This is for you Emblem Lord, this is for you!!!" and then break down in tears.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
OMG what is toon link doing down there!! i thought he was at the top tiers
No one users him in tourney singles regularly. Sorry Marth, I'm using Toon Link for Snakes now. xD If all goes well I can get Ankoku to get the little guy up some more.

Bomb Spam = Fair Spam. =P

^ You mean Emblem Lord?
No, he means Fire Emblem. He just really loves and appreciates the turn-based strategy games with some fanservice elements the Pegasus Knight trios dare not speak of.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
Fishkeeper is right. Don't feel bad because other people can't do things right. And above all don't blame yourself. You've done so much for the Marth community, you shouldn't blame yourself if others mess up and ignore your contributions. Getting others to help you on your quest-to-improve-Marth's-metagame (if I read right) will also be good. Get someone else to help you carry the load of "the quest".

I might be rambling nonsense.... but still.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
you didint like melee emblem lord? but why! lol marth was too good in that game. fun and able to fit my playing style. i really dont like him in this game playing style. or maybe i dont like this games style. oh well.

its up to you guys to get him to place in the top before the snakes,mk,robs,g&w and falcos completely dominate the high potential yet not as high placing so far like wolf, toon, marth, wario, pika,diddy/dk

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
yea...if marth was the broken character who won all the tournaments, this thread wouldn't exist, get over it already, don't want to be a part of the community just because marth isn't winning...really...if everyone didn't do anything cause they weren't winning, no one would have any fun...

The fun part is the will to trying to get to the top, you really should stop playing if seriously feel this way...

who cares if no body likes marth, is someone insulting your mother? No, its a freakin video game character. OMG, I'm going to go cry myself to sleep every night because everyone insults me for using the easiest/broken character snake. My life is ruined because everyone thinks marth sux.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Don't you dare quit on me now, Emblem Lord!

I feel the same way, and I've been phasing in and out of Marth because I haven't won a singles tournament EVER. Been playing some D3, to be honest with you.

BUT I SHALL HALP AND WE SHALL DISCOVER THE ULTIMATENESS THAT IS MARFU.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
I've actually won quite a # of tournys with marth in brawl to me fighting against snake and mk are pretty easy to me if you want I can set up a thread and give detailed strategies on how to beat those 2 characters if you guys want me 2 let me know and I'll have it posted by the end of next week

SheikahBlood

Smash Cadet
Emblem Lord i just wanted to say i'm supporting Marth in torneys and it makes me sad you feel that way about his ability. I may seem like a normal everyday player as you read this but i've been making the semi-finals around every local torney i been to and i just feel i could have took the win if i knew more about Brawl Marth. In the end i feel Marth is worthwhile putting time into.
The game is a joke compared to most other decent fighters like the Guilty Gear series for example..
Guilty Gear FTW! :)

kouryuuXfighter

Smash Ace
*sigh*

Emblem Lord... stop whining. If you earnestly believe Marth is an awesome character then put more effort into your game to prove it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It would be awesome if like ya know, people read the whole thread, before posting.

Cuz then like they would see that like ummm, I'm not giving up on Marth...and stuff.

Just saying. >_<

pockyD

Smash Legend
this was a pretty emo thread, even after the 8 hours from your initial 'marth sucks i quit' post through you relenting and asking to "power up" :)

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Uh, I know this thread is probably on it's way to expiring, but I just have to throw in something.

Obviously, I'm a Marth main, which is why I'm posting here. I've been learning, and practicing, and improving my game, and summer vacation just started, so I think I'll finally be able to brawl and compete with semi-consistency. Though I have a low post count, I'm good at Brawl (I just read more than I post). I KNOW I CAN BEAT SNAKE AND METAKNIGHT, and any Snake or Meta mains can come see me.

But my main reason for posting here is to say this: I got into the melee competative scene very late, and I never got to be a very good player in Melee. When Metaknight was announced for Brawl, I almost mained him (I love him) but Marth was reconfirmed, and me and Marth have a bond now. I WILL POWER UP TO THE NEXT LEVEL. I've learned so much from you, and so much from playing, and I know that I have what it takes to become the best Marth anyone has ever seen. You, Emblem Lord, are an extreme role-model for me. In fact I was hoping to meet you at the Terrabite Tourney last Saturday, but you didn't go.

I will rise to not only become the best Marth, but a dominating Brawl player, and make my way into the legendary skilled circle (With P.C. Chris, Ken, M2K, Chudat, etc) and it will be partially your fault.

I don't care if I'm redundant or not, it's important for me as a person for you to learn how important you are to me. I doubt you even remember my name, or will tomorrow, but soon, everyone will know my name, and it'll be due to your help, inspiration, and motivation.

From one Marth player to another, I need you, and I'm glad you're here. We all are. Just my .02

-Dan

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
You need me?

Really?

Is that why I saw yo triflin *** at the club wit two sluts the other night?

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
I'm not here to kiss ***, but as someone who's considered giving up Marth because he can get ***** by MK and Snake, I have to say **** YEAH, Marth is the best character in the game, and I can't wait to see more of your guides, and I'm glad you're not quitting

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Can this be a joke thread now?

Maybe you can edit the title to say your angst-ness has been resolved and now everything is all happy-go-lucky, "**** Yeah Seaking!" and stuff. You know, unless you like us Smashboarders to continue sucking up to you.

Permission to lol sir?

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
sooner or later EL is gonna have his haters just like every top smasher has (ken) lol and everyone of them will point at this thread
anyway welcome back EL

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You need me?

Really?

Is that why I saw yo triflin *** at the club wit two sluts the other night?
HEY! WHAT PART OF "KEEP THAT ON THE DL" DID YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?! I TOLD YOU THAT WASN'T WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE!

/joke

P.S. I read the entire thread before my first post, and I already knew EL wasn't giving up on Marth. I didn't say anything asking him to stay, etc. I just wanted to throw in my .02

ADHD

Smash Hero
Meta can be beaten, and I am a samus main. It's hell of a stressful time, but I've beaten some with a crappy character AKA sammy

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Only because Emblem knows his Marth boards well, I'll sticky this thread. Although I'm not sure why I'm doing it.

Top Bottom