• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emblem Lord's Emo Moment

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
This is aimed at you EL:

You talk about no one maining marth and that you are tired of defending him, but have you seen the thread "it's been 4 months since brawl was released, who's yore main?" cuz tha majority of peeps there say marth! you got to stick with it

But if you want to take a break, feel free, someone else will step up, that Torn guy seems pretty good lol not as good as you r tho...

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
Brightside: Ahh, yes you are clockwork on allisbrawl correct?

It makes my heart sad that you would trash Marth's name considering you were an old head back in the Melee days.

W/e. I won't argue with you. You are not the only one to leave their old Melee main for someone else in Brawl.

But my goal is not to win. It never was. My goal is serve is an inspiration to Marth players everywhere.
lol yea I'm Clockw0rk on AiB.

I actually tried using Marth when Brawl first came out but a couple of weeks into it I realized the new the shielding mechanics just kind of ****ed him over so I picked a new char and ditched him. I still use him sparingly for fun but when it comes to serious play I know to never pick him.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I won't bother correcting you since you have already made up your mind that Marth is useless. Doing so would be pointless and I hate doing pointless things.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Off topic but when and where did Ken say he was going to brawl tournaments? I didn't even know he was still playing smash.

I saw some youtube vids of Ken in brawl against Isai and I think I saw one of him against Azen (who is using lucario now I think) Or that might have been M2K against Azen... wateva...

Jojo1378

Smash Rookie
Well i am new to the Smash Boards but I have to say Brawl isn't a bad game it is a average game not great not horrible, i have never been to a tourney, but i have beaten my brother recently his name on the forum is Jimtopia and it was because i practiced against him constantly so i think all you need to do is learn and practice the strategies and tactics that are good against the Tyrants known as Snake and MetaKnight. Don't quit brawl just because you lose i almost did that and i am glad i didn't. So don't quit.

meepxzero

Smash Master
Stop bein a scrub neo and come to tournies lolol.

On a different note i must be the only marth that loves fighting snake hes just screaming spike kill. metaknight on the other hand *** him -_-.

Logically marth can be the best character in brawl or one of the best. Hes the only one that has NO bad match ups wat so ever. If your good ull always win. Only one being metaknight, because he feels like a ***** reincarnation of shiek from melee. Fast combos easy gimps. Just everyone plays him like crap because no one has designed a solid metagame for him. Brawl at the highest level of play is all bout playing safe moves and never putting urself at risk. Marth is pretty safe with most of his attacks if u space flawlessly and with the added fact he can punish pretty well he can be untouchable if played well. Most marths dont make use retreating fairs or bairs which is both safe on shield and rolls as well minus people with fast rolls. I dont utilize this one ***** tourney and i get 17th -_-a lolorz i suck. Also Every marth has a unique style with him that apparently works out better and worse in different match ups. I play a diddy in crew battles using my general style which is a mix of ground an aerials and get hammered like hell. THen i use neos style to play against the diddy and i pretty much 2 stock him. I call neos style the marth jigglypuff cuz all he does is retreating fairs LOL and never touches the ground aka bananas are useless.

Brawl requires more precision in reading ur opponents. You cant just spam attacks and hope they hit them like in melee. You have to be almost frame perfect at reading as well. I didnt think it was possible for people to do it in brawl, but watching omni play made me realize its possible if you play this game enough. Brawl is a really easy game to pick up, but it probably will be one of the hardest to master. Anyone can beat anyone at this game, but when the person thats really good is trying expect to get ***** by him.

Nibbity

Smash Journeyman
Well I can definitely understand losing to broken characters...it's depressing that skill can fall short of character selection. However, Marth isn't bad by any means and I think that enough effort can beat out other people and actually get top spots in tournaments, etc.
On community, looking at what Ken says, and from some posts I see around here, not everyone is exactly nice...but it's not like it's everyone. And I will never understand why everyone I know abandons Marth for a better character and says Marth isn't good anymore. Just like BacklashMarth says, let the swordsman speak for himself. And people have said this before, but you are an inspiration to me Emblem Lord.

Squipy

Smash Cadet
I'm glad you decided not to abandon the boards Emblem Lord (If that's what you made clear in your birthday post). I don't feel the need to post much, if ever, but like others have said- I feel obligated to reply to this thread.

Like many others, you've inspired me to main as Marth. Analyzing your playing style in videos and dissecting your threads encourages me to stick with the character I love even with a disadvantage against armored balls with swords or buff men with explosives.

I know there's all this hype about Ken bringing back Marth, but I don't think people are acknowledging the person holding the Marth community together until then: you, Emblem Lord. Even if Ken does revolutionize Marth, no one will forget the feeling of anticipation waiting for a thread by Emblem Lord to load. You are the figure-head of Marth here and now. If you leave now, potential Marth mainers might not get the inspiration needed to become one, like you have inspired me.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I already know about that.

I am the Marth seer.

Any tourney results concerning Marth where he places well, I already know.

Anyway, it's not my goal to be a top player. It never was. My goal is to push his metagame further and beyond what anyone thought possible. And to give other Marth players the tools to succeed.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Lately I have just been feeling like there is no point. I go to tournies and I place well, but I lose to Snake's and MK's. I feel like other Marth players are going through the same thing all across the world.
Marth can beat MK. I beat teh_spamerer once and dmbrandon twice because of what you taught me. Snake...eh. Snake and ROB both give Marth trouble, but he's perfectly capable of winning and you know it. Step your game up.

I also just feel like Marth's popularity is on the decline. He hasn't really been repped during the summer at all and he isn't doing nearly as well as he used to in tournies. I know this is because the pros have turned their backs on him and because Marth doesn't have alot of gimmicks like CGing and things like that. And it doesn't help that his moveset is mostly unchanged and that you CAN play him like his Melee counter part. This leads people to pre-judge Marth and abandon him for other characters.

The other thing that just bugs me is that I CONSTANTLY find the other boards/posters underestimating Marth and perpetuating false info about him or his match-ups. It's simply exhausting and extremely frustrating. I'm tired of defending Marth or trying to convince people that he is actually good. It's tiresome.

And as Marth continues to become more and more unpopular, more and more people will continue to misunderstand what he is capable of.
Good. People will underestimate us in tournaments and get torn to shreads for it. Don't worry about converting the masses of stupid peope that don't realize Marth is amazing.

Another thing that I have just have to accept, is that Marth will NEVER be winning tournies consistently. He isn't good enough. He will never be on the level of MK or Snake. Those two are broken characters and Marth just isn't. So no matter how much work the Marth community puts into Marth, I find myself feeling like it's all in vain.

Which of course...pisses me the **** off.
I've taken top 3 going mostly Marth very consistently. I lose to Mew2King, waaaaah. Roy R took 1st in Texas this weekend, beating Sethlon and Stiltz. I won a huge tourny over here, beating dmbrandon in grand finals with Marth. Marth is winning. Now step your game up and be one of the Marths winning.

And I'm also questioning should I even stay apart of this community. The Smash community has fallen and my crew that was influential in NJ's tournament scene is dying and lost pretty much all of it's unfluence. They are stuck on Melee for the most part, which I want nothing to do with, so now I feel as though I really have no reason so continue on with being apart of this community.
It's sad but indeed true. TSA has not converted to Brawl and it split up, and the crew doesn't host anymore.

You're welcome to join Montage.

Edit: Only replied to the OP and didn't read the rest of the thread. Oh well.

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
keep repping marth man. just because he doesn't reign on the throne anymore doesn't mean he can't be nasty with proper spacing

Rave925

Smash Apprentice
Don't let things like this get to you. I for one am never going to give up on Marth. I've always been a Marth main and I will never change that. since the game just came out, there will be some noobs at it that are only really playing it because it is new. Over time, you will see many more experienced and dedicated players out there, so just stay strong. If you ever need help with backing up Marth on anything, I would be glad to. I must disagree with you on one thing and that that I really don't believe that Brawl is a bad game, I think it's quite the opposite. Besides, I may not be at the level yet, but I really plan on making it to mlg tourneys and getting people to atleast recognize me as a great Marth player. That is my true goal. I want to be as good as Ken and if I'm lucky, maybe I can go against him one day.

DireklianCliff

Smash Cadet
Hey Emblem Lord. I played against my friend Grifflame the other day, and just from reading and comprehending the basics and advanced techniques you showed us - and by keeping the basics in mind, of course - my game improved dramatically. My best friend plays competitively with many friends in college (dorm life ftw), yet I am blow-for-blow completely on par with him. That could not have happened without your help.

You and I should get together sometime and discuss various strategies and other techniques. I would love to talk with a Marth elite like yourself about anything, even if you wanted to leave the topic of Brawl alone. My AIM's listed here, so give me a ring anytime if you like.

(BTW I still want to play you one day.)

I truly hope that you feel better soon. And I hope to return the favor of you helping me to improve my game by helping you to further expand his metagame. In the meantime, I will work on my own Marth - since he's the only character I play until I master him - and start entering some tournaments to show people that Marth is undeniably a force to be reckoned with.

-Kiros-

Smash Journeyman
People will shut up when you beat them.
Maybe you're down today or depressed. Take a break.
More satisfaction to us when we beat MK and Snake. We do it without uber moves.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I'm going to give you a straight answer.
Marth sucks compared to the other characters, It is true and I don't believe that any of us should deny this truth.
Back in good ol' Melee, Marth was the character that really stood out in combo videos, or tourneys.
It was because he took skill to use and was one of (If not the most) balanced characters.

1)Medium weight
2)Good range
3)Good Grabs
4)With Shffl'ing and Wavedashing he had excellent approach.
5)Good recovery.
6)Good damage and knockback.

We can all look at Brawl and can see that #'s 1-4 were instantly knocked out of the gameplay.
And though some of Marth's attributes were fixed, he sucks.

No, He isn't good anymore, and no people won't look at "Marth'ers" and give good reconition.
But, what's the problem with that?
I know that there are good Marth's out there that can win and become best.
We have been nerfed, but when we win, doesn't that mean we not only secured a victory for Marth, but it took more skill then Melee?

I agree Melee is better, and that Marth is broken, but let's just play.
Melee will ALWAYS be better then Brawl.
But Marth is always Marth.
So stop *****in' and please play, not to win, but to play.

And if you want to go back to melee.
What's wrong with that?
Sometimes change is bad, look at G.W Bush.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
How is Marth bad in Brawl? That seems to be a horribly wrong opinion. If you lose with Marth, it's not because Marth is a bad character.

OmegaSephiroth

Smash Journeyman
Very true.:chuckle:

Anyway, I'm glad that you're not giving up on Marth. I'm glad that you're staying here with us.

EL, you, and some other guys, have changed my Marth's playstyle. I'm really grateful that you all've posted here.

Also, if you ever feel like taking a break, do so. You've already done so much for the Marth community. I'm sure the whole Marth community supports you.:)

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
I'm going to give you a straight answer.
Marth sucks compared to the other characters, It is true and I don't believe that any of us should deny this truth.
Back in good ol' Melee, Marth was the character that really stood out in combo videos, or tourneys.
It was because he took skill to use and was one of (If not the most) balanced characters.

1)Medium weight
2)Good range
3)Good Grabs
4)With Shffl'ing and Wavedashing he had excellent approach.
5)Good recovery.
6)Good damage and knockback.

We can all look at Brawl and can see that #'s 1-4 were instantly knocked out of the gameplay.
And though some of Marth's attributes were fixed, he sucks.

No, He isn't good anymore, and no people won't look at "Marth'ers" and give good reconition.
But, what's the problem with that?
I know that there are good Marth's out there that can win and become best.
We have been nerfed, but when we win, doesn't that mean we not only secured a victory for Marth, but it took more skill then Melee?

I agree Melee is better, and that Marth is broken, but let's just play.
But Marth is always Marth.
So stop *****in' and please play, not to win, but to play.

And if you want to go back to melee.
What's wrong with that?
Sometimes change is bad, look at G.W Bush.
*SIGH*
All B-moves = big buff.
All grabs (except grab release which is better and the back trow which sucks in both games) and range = nerf
Sword and tippers range = nerf
Down and Up smash = Buff
F smash = nerf
N air B air and U air= buff
D tilt Ftilt (IASA frames)= Buff
U tilt = nerf (less combo for KO potential)
Down and foward air (kinda, less combo for KO petential.) = nerf
Recovery = Buff (if the shield breaker, dancing blade at the peak of the second jump correctly, it gets more distance).
Weight = No idea...

that makes 12 buffs, and 10 nerfs. SO... WRONG

Also smash melee = combo and skill based game. Brawl = DI, and mind games game.

gallax

Smash Hero
How is Marth bad in Brawl? That seems to be a horribly wrong opinion. If you lose with Marth, it's not because Marth is a bad character.
i totally agree with this statement. marth has everything he needs to win against every character in brawl!

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Can i have a link to the Ken vids please? All I've seen are fake ones. I'd really like to see ken play brawl.

RedPeppers

Smash Ace
Dang. I got *****. xD

Recently though, is it still true? I know Wario+ Snake win most recent cali tourneys, along with DeDeDe...Falco G&W and IC's in Texas, DeDeDe in NJ, Lucario in MD, along with DDD, R.O.B. in midwest...
Haha you totally didn't Rep Anther at all dude! Overswarm plays ROB and owns midwest frequently, but Anther mains Pika/ G & W and has actually beaten OS at major bi-weeklies like Rofa's.

Anywho glad you're staying Emblem Lord. You're one of the very few people who is actually helpful on the character boards. Happy Birthday!

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
The brawl metagame is still in it's infancy. Good rushdown is possible despite the lack of hit stun, hopefully it will become more prevalent in the future. dmbrandon's ZSS restored my faith in this game.

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Stop bein a scrub neo and come to tournies lolol.

On a different note i must be the only marth that loves fighting snake hes just screaming spike kill. metaknight on the other hand *** him -_-.

Logically marth can be the best character in brawl or one of the best. Hes the only one that has NO bad match ups wat so ever. If your good ull always win. Only one being metaknight, because he feels like a ***** reincarnation of shiek from melee. Fast combos easy gimps. Just everyone plays him like crap because no one has designed a solid metagame for him. Brawl at the highest level of play is all bout playing safe moves and never putting urself at risk. Marth is pretty safe with most of his attacks if u space flawlessly and with the added fact he can punish pretty well he can be untouchable if played well. Most marths dont make use retreating fairs or bairs which is both safe on shield and rolls as well minus people with fast rolls. I dont utilize this one ***** tourney and i get 17th -_-a lolorz i suck. Also Every marth has a unique style with him that apparently works out better and worse in different match ups. I play a diddy in crew battles using my general style which is a mix of ground an aerials and get hammered like hell. THen i use neos style to play against the diddy and i pretty much 2 stock him. I call neos style the marth jigglypuff cuz all he does is retreating fairs LOL and never touches the ground aka bananas are useless.

Brawl requires more precision in reading ur opponents. You cant just spam attacks and hope they hit them like in melee. You have to be almost frame perfect at reading as well. I didnt think it was possible for people to do it in brawl, but watching omni play made me realize its possible if you play this game enough. Brawl is a really easy game to pick up, but it probably will be one of the hardest to master. Anyone can beat anyone at this game, but when the person thats really good is trying expect to get ***** by him.
Ha! I love fighting with Snakes too.

And very true what you said about Brawl being hard to master.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
Another reason Marth doesn't get the respect he deserves is that he's so hard to play

You can pick up G&W for the first time at a tournie and place decently.

But to play marth you have to be constantly reading your opponent and spacing perfectly all the time. Not only that but you also need great timing and have to know his moves really well to know what to use in each situation. You can't just fall back on a turtle or a tornado whenever you want. The only move we have even remotely that safe is DB, which will still get you shield grabbed if you space badly like most n00bs do. It takes real skill to play marth. N00bs don't give him much respect because they don't even know the level of concentration it takes to play marth competitively. They choose MK because he's so easy and they feel like they can be good with him.

Marth = top tier in the hands of a good player

Marth = low tier in the hands of a n00b because they just dont have the concentration, experience or the spacing skill needed to do well with him.

I'm sure that any experienced player see's marth as one of the better characters. He always has the tools to win, you just have to use them correctly.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Good point, ghettosheep, Marth is all about spacing, and he would be good in the hands of everyone if you didn't have to tip your attacks... But then he would be as broken as snake or MK and people would be talkin bout how broken marth was in some other char forum. So, the real question is, would you rather be hated by people for using a broken char (if marth was broken), or be one of the onesz hating the broken chars, like most of us are now?

Browny

Smash Hater
no offense personally, but marth is just another character. i dont see why marth deserves extra attention over any other character. so many of your points can be applied to almost every other character.

Lately I have just been feeling like there is no point. I go to tournies and I place well, but I lose to Snake's and MK's.

well, that applies to everyone, even snake / mk users

The other thing that just bugs me is that I CONSTANTLY find the other boards/posters underestimating Marth and perpetuating false info about him or his match-ups. It's simply exhausting and extremely frustrating. I'm tired of defending Marth or trying to convince people that he is actually good. It's tiresome.

how do you think yoshi mainers, for example, feel? theres probably 30 other characters in the game who get horribly underestimated, and thier mains all deal with it, to a much larger degree as you

Another thing that I have just have to accept, is that Marth will NEVER be winning tournies consistently...
Which of course...pisses me the **** off.
and ness users just have to accept, they will NEVER win a single bracket at the hands of a skilled player, using marth of all characters. why does marth deserve to win tournies consistently anyway? sure he was great in melee, so were jiggs and falcon, but why should his popularity continue to brawl. sure its annoying your when your main is no longer feared, but thats it. it seems to me you are mad because many marth pros have left him, but there was no reason for them to stay.

Why am I repping Marth so hard and doing all this work for a character who most likely will never be given any respect and will probably never become popular again? ...It just seems so pointless. People in this board will see the dumbest things about Marth, like how SH fair is all he is or other nonsense like that and I don't even have the drive to correct them anymore.

Now were getting somewhere. take a look at the sonic boards for example. Tenki has put an incredible amount of work into finding sonics tricks. Sonic gets no respect AT ALL, he wont become more popular in time and people continue to assume things like side-b is all he is. why would he do this? far less motivation than you would since sonic will never become great from all those things.

Maybe you would put work into marth, because you enjoy doing it? once again it appears you are putting yourself through an awful lot of trouble to prove a point of how good marth is, but it seems to me, that you know it to not be true. most other perceived low-tier character boards get all worked up over new techniques (dragonic reverse anyone?) or will spend a lot of time creating new AT's (like Pit). The people do this, and enjoy doing it because they believe, and maybe rightly so, that all their work will make thier character better. Marth just doesnt have many tricks, and thats all there is to it. hes a simple, very good character but hes no where near as interesting to play as so many other characters
i reiterate what i said earlier. marth is not deserving of extra special attention this time round in smash. While almost all characters mainers are focusing on making thier main better, it seems you spend more time defending marth and his match-ups. maybe marth just isnt as good as you want him to be? i think being a sonic main id know what its like to believe in such high potential and then have the obvious smack you right down to remind you how bad your main is. you seem to be taking it too personally.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I spend time defending him because whipper snappers like you who are new to the community came in and THOUGHT they knew enough to argue with me.

^_^

You have gotten better though so it's w/e.

Anyway, people say dumb crap about Marth and it annoys me. But it's w/e now. I'll debate when I want too not when I feel like Marth needs a hero. He doesn't need one anyway seeing as how he is a god-like being and all.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
He said something silly though.

How I don't focus on making Marth better.

I think he needs to look around. I say wiih confidence that only a few other individuals have pushed their mains to the limit to make them better as I have.

Maybe he needs to read the 80 BILLION threads I have written about Marth's ever evolving metagame before he comes in here and tries to lecture me.

Just saying.

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
^
Indeed, there are so many little tricks whit marth it's not even funny (foot stool to dair needs you to move at the direction the oponent is facing to hit. dancingblade to foot stool to spike, aerial first hit of dancing blade to u air to utilt... and now the grab release tricks http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177503 shield breaker, wave dancing blade... not to mention the tipper).

Browny

Smash Hater
Is it just me or does djbrowny have a grudge against Marth?
lol, it just gets to me when EL said marth is underated and people get his matchups wrong. Pretty much every character match-up thread ive read has marth as the usual high threat. they may not go any higher than a 6:4 disadvantage to him, but they all acknowledge he can and will be a difficult fight. i suppose i too took it a little personally lol, but when you check every characters match up threads and my main is put as a 3:7 disadvantage to practically every character, marth seems to have it much easier in comparison :p

Odigo

Smash Apprentice
Definitely have everyones support and appreciation. I can understand where you're coming from though. You've been very influential and inspirational, and I can only hope you continue your work.

btw, guilty gear >>>>>> brawl

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Most up-to-date rankings, no details: (last updated June 23, 2008)
S: Snake, Meta Knight
A: King Dedede, Marth, ROB, Olimar
B: Falco, Wario, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario, Wolf
C: Pit, Donkey Kong, Fox, Kirby, Ice Climbers, Luigi, Diddy Kong, Zelda
D: Bowser, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Ike, Pikachu, Ness, Lucas, Pokémon Trainer
E: Ganondorf, Toon Link, Sonic, Mario, Sheik, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon
U: Link, Yoshi
We're getting there. :)

By the way, I really like your new sig Emblem Lord.

Top Bottom