• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Emblem Lord's Emo Moment

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
It's not that it's boring that make it bad.

No hitstun has been done in fighting games before. Guess what? IT NEVER works out. You can't do it. You NEED hitstun so you can do combos to create a balance between offense and defense. There needs to be a reward for offense otherwise you get a crappy game where there is no reason to play rushdown, or rushdown is just very risky and unsafe.

Marth gets off easy since he can play rushdown safely, but he still won't get a ton of guaranteed damage off of it.

Lucario would be the best at it since he can actually combo, but he isn't fast enough and his moveset isn't really about rushdown so much as reaction and control.

Also, tripping is just ****ing terrible. So yes, Brawl = failboat.

But anyway Nessbounder..sorry for being so edgy with you..I was..kinda drunk. >_>

Anyway, today, well yesterday technically, was my 21st birthday. I'm not a celebratory person. I did not see any reason to get excited about this event in my life. I'm a very apathetic person, you see. Despite my desire to sit at home quietly and not make a fuss about this day that was apparently a big deal to my friends and family, my close friends who are also the two leaders of the crew I am in, treated me to dinner.

Much to my surprise I had fun. And it gave me a chance to collect my thoughts. When did I come to the conclusion that it was my responsibility to "save" Marth and be the defender of the Marth community. Maybe it was when I got into SBR, or maybe it was finally when I started to get some respect from the Marth community, since my words wre ignored when I first started posting in Marth forum. But somewhere along the line it became accepted that I was the de facto leader of the Marth boards and when that happened I took on this great weight on my shoulders. And, this weight wore me down.

Let me tell you guys something. Back in the Melee days I loved to research Marth and understand more about his metagame. But as time went on my desires to understand Marth because I love to understand became tainted. Eventually I merely wanted recognition and I felt like getting into SBR would be the ultimate recognition. So I toiled to make guides on different aspects of his game as well as different aspects of high level gameplay. My efforts were in vain. Although my fellow smashers noticed me and even pro players like my guides, the SBR took no notice of me. When Brawl rolled around I asked an SBR member to recommend me for SBR membership and I gave him links to all my best writing. He informed me that normally it is considered bad taste to ask to get into SBR.

My hopes of getting in were crushed. But, then..something...awakened inside me. After awhile, I didn't care about SBR. I realized again that the one thing I loved most...was..knowing...EVERYTHING. I wanted to know as much as possible about Marth and share what I knew. For me..gaining knowledge and sharing it with others was the greatest gift I could give to others. When I thought I had no chnce of getting into SBR, it allowed me to get back a part of myself that I had lost touch with. My one great desire. To be that eternal seeker of knowledge.

So, I researched, and debated, and tested and observed and I became the authority on Marth in Brawl. And the moment I made a discovery I made sure that anyone would know what I know. Because that is what I love. I love to know and I love it when others know too.

Ironically, the SBR noticed me. I was admitted in after writing so many guides and articles on Marth.
But it seemed fitting to only get in when I no longer cared about getting in. I feel like I became more of a leader and more deserving of getting an influential position in the community, when my primary goal was to help the community instead of merely seeking a position of power.

I feel..light hearted now. I don't think I will debate people as much anymore simply because it's kind of pointless when most of them have no idea what good Marth looks like. But I'm not going to concern myself with the public opinion of Marth anymore.

My desire is to be of service to the Marth community and to do all that is in my power, to bring us to the next level.

So...shall we power up to the very limit?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
TAKE SMASH TO THE NEXT LEVEL, LIKE ROK THE REAPER?!!? LOLOL

But you know you've got the whole Marth boards' support on whatever you decide to do. So just make sure that what you decide leaves no regrets.

Brightside6382

Smash Lord
LOL!

Brightside: Aren't you like..a Marth hater now?
Good job you realized brawl is trash! Your on the right path back to melee now.

Also, yeah I honestly hate Marth a lot now because he sucks compared to the broken characters (I.E Snake, MK, G&W) If you want to win pick up on of those 3, learn them and make some easy money and wait for brawl to die. Thats what I'm doin and its working out pretty good so far.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
That's the spirit. Who do you think we are/Giga drill breaker etc.

But really, The smash bros games are not really fighters. I thought the lack of hitstun was bad at first, but really it isn't nearly as bad as everyone thinks. It gives the heavier/bigger characters more chance to compete.

If you picked Snake up and plopped him into Melee, he'd be downright awful. Everyone would combo him to death. Same for Dedede.

Just look at the game within context to itself and nothing has to be as bad as you think it is.

The fact that Marth has 7 frames worth of invincibility in Dolphin slash is enough to get me intererested in using him.

But then again, I'm easily satisfied.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Good job you realized brawl is trash! Your on the right path back to melee now.

Also, yeah I honestly hate Marth a lot now because he sucks compared to the broken characters (I.E Snake, MK, G&W) If you want to win pick up on of those 3, learn them and make some easy money and wait for brawl to die. Thats what I'm doin and its working out pretty good so far.
And Brawl isn't trash. Multi-hit single attacks that don't even work properly makes Melee yuck. I for one can never go back to a game with no AAA jabs.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Brightside: Ahh, yes you are clockwork on allisbrawl correct?

It makes my heart sad that you would trash Marth's name considering you were an old head back in the Melee days.

W/e. I won't argue with you. You are not the only one to leave their old Melee main for someone else in Brawl.

But my goal is not to win. It never was. My goal is serve is an inspiration to Marth players everywhere.

AdmiralComrade

Smash Journeyman
Melee --> Brawl is just like Counterstikes 1.6 -> source.. xP

if u kno what i mean...

yes looking back at melee its way faster.. but.. really i cbf playing tourneys now for brawl... i just like to play friendlies.. well (for now) until brawl picks up... (ok, i treat brawl like i treat my transition from 1.6 to source, it too like.. 1 year? ) anyways... old habits die hard and i just treat melee and brawl like entirely different games (well to an extent it is!).

and EL i assure u, u inspired me :D

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Err, I have no more words. I believe I have tried to describe my thoughts as accurately as possible using my limited 8th grade vocabulary.
You're fine, I was the same as you in 8th grade (going 10th after summer), and I still respond like that today (although I've loosened up a bit xD). Its good to find someone who writes similar to me :) (AKA extreme display of maturity in writing, speech, etc.). Just keep expanding your vocabulary and such, and you'll be awesome at school, well, maybe Language-wise. I'm for Mathematics, so "woo-hoo" for me.

^ extremely off topic ^

Anyway Emblem Lord, just take a break, just don't quit yet, others will take over if you decide to take that route. I think of you as, what you said, "an inspiration to Marth players everywhere". Thats two people you've accomplished your goal with. Either way, I'm just going to keep looking back at these boards until something fine and dandy shows up. I'm too lazy and too busy to get on my Wii and find Marth techniques.

(To contradict with what I just said, I shall say that it is obviously your choice to quit or not.)

I bet others would feel like I do, but I love my Melee Marth, Brawl Marth and Brawl overall is utter garbage for the moment... and I hate Snake, I'd rather look at MGS4 Snake <_<. At least Marth isn't in there to get his *** handed to him.

... and yes, Smashboards is silly. Marth is my brother.

If Marth isn't winning anything by my specific date... it's MB:AC for me (Akiha FTW)

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
wow emblem lord u are like depressed or something
u must know that u changed the whole marths way of playing which doesnt happen on any other boards i think. in melee ther were crazy broken characters eg fox infinite shine and yet we all could beat them. look at marth, everybody thought he was Super god tier but now he is only thought as high. snake and meta may be really broken or something but people can get used to their playstyle and then they wont seem so broken.
u are definitely the most respected guy in the marth forums and everyone is looking up to u. u may not have noticed it but it is the community who chose u to be our "leader". you never asked for it, we just chose it.
we will all miss u if u leave:(

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
EL, you are the reason I main Marth along with Falco. Knowing that you inspire people to main a character should be enough I think.

O and XD at you being drunk, I have this image of you slurring words 'Marrt3h suxxxxx lorl'

PKboy89

Smash Journeyman
lol, whats wrong? Marth isn't top anymore like he was in melee?...rofl, snake and mk took his spot, pooooooor marth mainers

The marth vs falco has been replaced by snake vs mk

I hate the fact that I main the easiest, most broken character in the history of smash...why can't snake suck...

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
lol, whats wrong? Marth isn't top anymore like he was in melee?...rofl, snake and mk took his spot, pooooooor marth mainers

I hate the fact that I main the easiest, most broken character in the history of smash...why can't snake suck...
Are you serious? I'm most likely the biggest MGS fan on the face of this planet, and I'd have been PISSED if my character sucked. Be glad your character is the best.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
*EDIT Ken will be still representing marth at EVO.
Hopefully he can win to boost the popularity of Marth like he says he will.
Eww, Evo. Did he confirm that he was going? I'd love to see the King of Smash play with items on :p

Hopefully he wins, it would be good for Marth...I guess.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero

Obvious scrub is obvious.

And good **** Emblem Lord. Glad to see your resolve is back. You really are the most helpful person on this forum, and arguably the most helpfull in all of the character boards. And don't worry, Marth will have his day, we just need to re-invent his metagame to account for all these Snakes and Metaknights.

Oh, and happy birthday dude

alchfilosofer

Smash Ace
Emblem Lord, Marth is though to not be high tier because now there is no player able to completely master at least one of his B moves (If someone could master UP-B, i think that player could easily win tourneys, not to mention broken blade, counter, meta-game breaker (i mean giga drill... wait, shield breaker)). Not to mention do you see any marth in a tourney whit mastery (or usage) of wave dancing blade (I once combo it to D-smash) not to mention his tilts, aerials, grabs, doges and shields (marth not have some broken and easy to master options like MK and snake, BUT he do have more options, few are broken and some just take skill to be broken). At least that is what i think, but may Ken have already mastered some marth aspects...

the7eleven

Smash Rookie
As time progresses the tier list will change and other characters will replace MK and Snake so maybe someday Marth will be a top tier or at least a high tier. I play Pokemon Trainer although he is a low/mid tier for now I believe someday he will have his uses for his versatility.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
well, as a metaknight main, I wish he was toned down some so he wouldn't be so overused. It's sucks when you work hard to master your favorite character only to be nothing special, because everyone else plays him too.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
EL, I don't want to say everything that everyone has been saying over and over again. I will tell you that you have already helped me improve a great deal with my Marth. What I'm saying is, your excellent, well-researched advice is definitely not falling on deaf ears.
Happy birthday and I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Happy belated birthday EL.

And glad you decided to stick with it. Let's find out how far we can push this manly, tiara-wearing prince.

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
That post really is epic. That's the match where Ken showed the world just how amazing his marth was (by beating the presumably invincible Sam way back in 2003). It wasn't until after that match that people started working on marth.

Anyways, I know its frustrating to put so much effort into a character that just gets ***** by snake and mk. But seriously, once the metagame evolves enough and us marths know how to beat snakes (MK isn't as depressing of a matchup) he's going to be so much more popular. I know, the minute i start seeing marth's beating snake's at tournies, is going to be my favorite moment ever in smash. And I feel like we have a strong enough community to make this happen. Marth players are some of the most dedicated to their character imo, and I know we have the potential to make him a dominant force in tournies again.

As you always say EL, Marth has more good options than any other character. But it's hard to master all of these techniques at once and nobody has been able to do it yet. But in time, I feel like Marth has more room to improve than either snake or mk. Also Ken claims that he is going to "take Marth to a whole new level" at EVO, so hopefully that will reinvigorate us.

EL: I decided to main Marth because of your threads. You are probably the most valuable member of any character specific forum and every Marth player can attribute a huge amount of their success to your writings alone. I'm glad you decided to stay and power up to the very limit, because none of us want to see you go. Now let's show the smash community just how badass Marth can really be.

EDIT: Happy birthday dude, go buy some beer

GhettoSheep

Smash Journeyman
I feel..light hearted now. I don't think I will debate people as much anymore simply because it's kind of pointless when most of them have no idea what good Marth looks like. But I'm not going to concern myself with the public opinion of Marth anymore.

My desire is to be of service to the Marth community and to do all that is in my power, to bring us to the next level.

So...shall we power up to the very limit?
Actually read the thread

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Off topic but when and where did Ken say he was going to brawl tournaments? I didn't even know he was still playing smash.

gallax

Smash Hero
i mained marth in melee but i always loved pika. and when pika came out in brawl i fell in love. but then something happened. i played marth again. i love marth and he is my secondary, although i think my marth is better than my pika. EL, i know your a good guy. i've read a lot of your posts and i love them.

i have been trying to get the pika community stirred up but only a handful actually respond to anything. most of the time there are noobs and it sucks. you actually have a bunch of supporteres here in this community. if you post something it's read and responded too. keep it up and remember that there are many EL supporters.

Happy Birthday.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
OMG... That blew me away the way that Ken stuck in there til the end, beating Sam without losing a life and fighting with over 200% damage... That was seriously awesome, and I mean the real kind of awesome, not "that's awesome dude!!" You got to keep going EL, pretty much everyone hear respects you, looks up to you, and as someone else said, you are the most influential poster on the marth boards and maybe in the entire smashboards. Also, like Galax1117 said, whenever people see your name on the first post of a thread, they go right to it just because you were the one who posted it. The only reason I looked at this thread is because it had your name on it... You got to keep playing, man! I mean, I know you aren't the best, but you are good! There are still people maining marth, even though they know they will probably get ***** by MK or Snake! Whatever you decide, I'll respect you and so will a lot of other people here. Happy Birthday EL...:)

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah Ken is amazing, I think Marth's status in Melee after 5 months is the same as his status in Brawl after 5 months (aka before Ken). Oh and happy birthday Emblem Lord!

Kit-Tsukasa

Smash Cadet
Let's be real here...who the hell cares about getting pwned by Snakes and MKs or any other character when playing Marth. Whatever character you choose to main is your choice and I'm pretty sure a lot of people main characters based on favorites and not purely on tiers or how good the characters are.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm still going to main Marth along with Ike and Zelda similar to how I mained Marth, Zelda, and Roy in Melee. Marth, Zelda, and Roy were the first characters I used in Melee and I haven't dropped them since, especially Zelda despite her being thrown into the Bottom Tier in Melee because people thought Sheik was better. Same with Roy being thrown into low/bottom tier. Who cares? Just get better and don't worry about what others say about a certain character. The criticism is just a demoralizer and a mindgame at the same time!!! Practice and then prove that the character can be just as good as any other character.

Anyways, back to Snakes and MK. Think of it this way, it's like fighting the annoying Sheik in Melee. DEAL WITH IT!!! The big mentality problem is that people think that once someone counterpicks with MK or Snake against Marth, it's all over. Well guess what...it ISN'T! People become intimidated from the fact that they're playing a Marth counter. If that intimidation is thrown out, one will have greater focus on the match rather than worrying. i.e. just pay attention to the match at hand and play a little more cautiously than normal in MKs case or more aggresive than normal in Snake's case. Basically strike when you have an opportunity and learn to know when to retreat. Easier said than done yes, but that's where practicing comes in.

All I'm really saying is, who cares about the reputation of a character. Don't be intimidated or psyched out by the words of others. If no one is going to feed information, then find out stuff yourself, keep it to yourself, and then pwn people....then laugh in their face for choosing a counter and losing with the counter. Brawl brings up a slightly different style than Melee where so far no character is superior to all. Paradoxical in a sense, but in that case, work on Marth and prove that it can take on its so called "counters." Brawl is not Melee where it did seem that some characters were better than others; it's a whole new playing field (except maybe Sonic and Pit who just can't to seem to kill at all).

Hopefully this lightens you up Emblem Lord and Happy Birthday.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Wow. There are so many pages for this that I stopped reading after 2. Either way, Emblem Lord does have a point. I'm pissed off at how broken MK, and more importantly Snake, are. Everything about snake makes me just wanna castrate myself into another dimension. While this is true, playing marth for me isnt about winning tournaments. Its about pwning as many ppl as i possibly can. My advice is to use marth as much as possible then switch up to a character that can pwn the broken characters 6 ways from sunday. If u think about it, this way marth pretty much won the tourny minus one match or so. This is enough for me to live with. The way i figure, someone annoys u with someone, find a way to annoy them. (i approve of spamming for this reason alone) Btw, Emblem Lord, ur freakin awesome for defending marth for so long and u should take a break. Let the swordsman speak for his self.

Top Bottom