• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Acolyte

Smash Rookie
thats what i thought, then he ***** me. oh btw is there any way in hell you can beat a marth on ys? it isnt possible right?

Gea

Smash Master
Don't make mistakes, and be better at the matchup than he is. Know the "danger zones" of the platforms (and tippers) but staying grounded all the time is also a bad idea because you are going to get grabbed.

I love ftilt against Marth a lot. Use the space you have wisely and it seems like players tend to play more aggressive on YS, so in my experience well placed pills are actually effective here vs Marth. Just do NOT mess up.

I actually would rather play on Yoshi's against Marth than battlefield (though Cyphus used to say that BF was the best stage to take Marth), but the risk/reward on YS for Doc is really high stakes.

As for the nair to jab, it works in a narrow range on %s/DI I would assume, but it is possible. However it sounds like at those %s he could CC so I would consider it risky. I find stuff like this works best on edges of platforms/stages. Well, jab to grab anyways. Or just jabs in general. If someone is trying to jump towards you over nothing, jabs are amazing. I know I'm getting off on a tangent here but I don't see too many people using jabs to setup spacies or other characters for easier edgeguards. Most people will not sweetspot if they get jabbed at the edge.

Also for Marth many marths LOVE DJing with a fair back onto the stage (even if they aren't on the edge). FTILT THEM. DEAD.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Sure it is, but it's wicked hard. A couple tips that will help you last longer.

1. Try and stay off the 2 lower platforms, unless marth is above you, or you are comboing/chasing him.

2. Don't get grabbed--use cape and f-tilt to space. If you approaches w/ aerials, CC->d-smash...

3. Be tight when you follow up a d-throw, as marth can just swat you away if you don't do it fast enough, and that's disastrous on YS. I'm not too technical, so I just f-throw or u-throw, bait an attack, and punish...doesn't work as well though (perhaps if I had my cube...)

4. Keep him on the platforms--and be under him.

note: you can upB from stage to topmost platform, making it safer than usual to use while center-stage. Use it Oos w/o being as vunerable... ^_^

Also, itsn't jab->grab never guaranteed for doc?

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
^^um, battlefield is one of links better stages, imo--easiest for him to control w/ projectiles, trap you n platforms...

but what do I know?
Last I checked, and forever when I checked, Battlefield was one of the neutrals Links hate.

Does everything short of killing their hookshot recovery. Everything else they dont mind too much about it.
thats what i thought, then he ***** me. oh btw is there any way in hell you can beat a marth on ys? it isnt possible right?
Oh it's possible (i've done it plenty of times, personally), it's just something you DONT want to have to do.

The big thing about it is that there is NEVER a time where you can attack from a platform. There is realistically NEVER a time you should be going down through a platform (unless marth is off the stage).

The other thing is that you almost NEVER have the space to throw a pill. So if you're going to throw any, it pretty much better be one and that's it.

Desh

Smash Ace
I really like marth on yoshis D:
Its not much more dangerous there then on other stages. >_> Its the same things you have to avoid on everystage.

1. Dont be stupid and stand on a platform doing nothing when your going to get tipper
2. being above him is bad
3. Patience.
4. Cape+Bair with invincibility frames.

Idk. I like that stage. :]

Also BF doesnt kill links or samus's hook shot recovery. D: Most links go for the sweet spot in any case. Wich is possible on BF.

But they can also hook shot bottom center of the stage and recover. =D

Oh, and doc vs kirby is so funny. Just use cape. Only cape. Try it. Its hella funny.
kirby tries to approach *cape*. XD

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Question.

If you Sh bair someones shield will you have a chance to DJ away before they can easily punish it?

otg

Smash Master
Dthrow -> usmash works on marth till like 50%, and by then you can start those uair juggles. I like stages with the 3 platform setup (BF, Yoshi's, Dreamland, FoD, certain parts of PS) because you can tech chase **** on them. So IE: you somehow get a grab on Marth at 0%, dthrow -> usmash, he DI's onto a platform, waveland up there, repeat, go to the to top platform, repeat.

Now he's in juggle %'s. I dunno, I do things that don't make sense sometiems.

Edit: Fiction, I'm not sure. It depends on how you space it, their grab range, where you hit their shield, etc etc. But I would suggest its better that you try and WL away/past their shield instead of DJing, just incase they hit you with something OoS. You're ****ed then, Doc without his second jump is a baddddd time.

Gea

Smash Master
Most characters spaced correctly no, as long as you have momentum you should be able to get away. Now if you are talking about standstill OOS bair or something, many characters can challenge you (Marth, Sheik, etc)

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
Okay :). BTW idk what anyone thinks about this but I seriously think shield dropping thru a platform to nado is a good option XD

Desh

Smash Ace
If you're going to bair a sheild, land behind them and utilt or something afterwards. Simple as that.
For marth Basically dd camp a bit till i can get that grab usmash at 0% wich brings him to 24. Then i pill a little bit to piss him off and make him come to me, dash attack works nicely (occasionaly) if hes really inyour face after the pills.
When he fsmashs . Wd oos> Punish

When I'm pilling /provoking marth i get my grabs, and my uair juggles just like erryone else. On ys (and most stages with the exception of maybe bf and FD), i normally bthrow off the stage and edge gaurd instead of going for throw fair and such. Just preference because I've gotten quite good at gimping marth now -_-.

Idk i love playing marths :S its really fun

edit: nado is weird.
I wouldnt do that personally. the first few hits have literally no hit stun.
The end knock back is really funny.

You have better options. Idk. I would say not to do it . whatever works for u

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Also BF doesnt kill links or samus's hook shot recovery. D: Most links go for the sweet spot in any case. Wich is possible on BF.

But they can also hook shot bottom center of the stage and recover. =D

Oh, and doc vs kirby is so funny. Just use cape. Only cape. Try it. Its hella funny.
kirby tries to approach *cape*. XD
I said EVERYTHING SHORT, thanks for once again proving my point that people dont like to read my posts. XD

And what kinda ******** kirbys are you playing?

Desh

Smash Ace
LOL Okay ryan, 2$? =D

I know it doesn't work against a kirby that knows what its doing.
But holy **** it was funny. XD

And my bad dogy LOL XD
Apparently im about as literate as a brick wall.
No johns.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
So any of you going to spoc in philly? (cuz I am) Also, GOD GIMME SMARTS.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'd say I have a favourite Doc matchup but any matchup I'd be Doc, there are like 8 other characters that function much better so I hate all of them.

unknown522

Some guy
my doc fav matchup is probably, marth

he's a homo but he's pretty easily comboed
Back in 2006 when I mained mario, I picked up doc to counter marth. The main reason I was losing to the top marth back then was because I couldn't edgeguard marth's sweetspot back then. I only picked him up for the cape. Now I know about ledge invincibility gayness. I wish I knew about it back then.

I was also really bad at doc vs peach back then as well and thought that it was so impossible. Good times.

HomeMadeWaffles

Smash Lord
Back in 2006 when I mained mario, I picked up doc to counter marth. The main reason I was losing to the top marth back then was because I couldn't edgeguard marth's sweetspot back then. I only picked him up for the cape. Now I know about ledge invincibility gayness. I wish I knew about it back then.

I was also really bad at doc vs peach back then as well and thought that it was so impossible. Good times.
i seen u give some puff the business with doc

legit unknown <3

i wanna ask whoever this, this mite be common tho

but does anyone tech chase with doc? especially after you miss a re-grab or hit someone. I wanna get good with reading techs with doc cuz u can cover more options it seems, but i struggle so bad with it, cant even do it with falcon let alone doc hahaha

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You can probably just D-smash and cover multiple techs (tech in place, no-tech, tech behind) if you time it or space it like almost every character in the game.

I don't know how well this would work with Doc but after hitting someone over, I find just WDing towards them often gives me enough time to react and grab or D-smash or tilt or whatever.

If they purposefully miss the tech or miss the tech because they fail, below like 90 you can just sit there and crouch cancel and wait. If they do get up attacks, your crouch cancel will kick in and you will get a free move. If they roll to a side, you get to dash --> free move or WD --> free move. If they get up you get free move. Free moves are good.

Fun fact with Doc:

From 0 - 7ish if you U-throw a Fox with Doc, and they don't DI the throw, you can D-smash and make the first hit of the D-smash reverse, and knock them into the second hit, which will then hit normally. It does like 38%, it's really funny, especially when you grab Fox on Battlefield or something under a platform and they don't DI at low percent because they try to escape and get onto said platform but they fall short and then they eat 32% from the D-smash and possibly gimped.

Not guaranteed by any means but might be a funny trick to use on unprepared opponents.

P.C. Jona

Smash Master
but does anyone tech chase with doc? especially after you miss a re-grab or hit someone. I wanna get good with reading techs with doc cuz u can cover more options it seems, but i struggle so bad with it, cant even do it with falcon let alone doc hahaha
tech chasing is not character specific, i know you didnt say that at all but,
try to get the feel for tech chasing first with like sheik or falcon
then once you get an idea of understanding peoples habits when you play them
learn to adapt and stuff
try to speed everything up
you should talk to ss about it and ask him what he tries to do to trap people

once you get everything down, try to learn to set um your own traps with doc
make stuff up you know?
ive just recently been getting into tech chasing and its amazing
once you understand the options and everything it becomes so much easier

unknown522

Some guy
i seen u give some puff the business with doc

legit unknown <3

i wanna ask whoever this, this mite be common tho

Thanks for the compliment :laugh:.

I try my best to tech chase after missing a grab, or from an attempted combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDTrqqHgJWo 1:15 - 1:22. This is old and he teched to the right both times, but this is the only one I remember being recorded.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
From 0 - 7ish if you U-throw a Fox with Doc, and they don't DI the throw, you can D-smash and make the first hit of the D-smash reverse, and knock them into the second hit, which will then hit normally.
Ha.
I knew that.
That makes me cool.

Acolyte

Smash Rookie
Cape? that thing is so **** hard for me. i cant cape anythign but projectiles. in fact, i think ive caped more missed smashes into myself than i have made smashes miss me with cape. is there a way not to get totally punished after using cape, with it being so slow?

otg

Smash Master
Yeah, tech chasing is just a universal part of smash. It's not character specific, but each character has their own tools. For doc it really depends on the situation. For the most part I'll go for grabs if I miss a grab, or a dsmash/fsmash if I will predict which direction they will roll/land/miss tech etc. Getting those platform tech chases is pretty essential for grab opportunities/combos/finishers etc. Like, if I ever knock someone on a platform and tehy miss a tech or I call it out, I love getting that free fsmash off. Ouch. Business

Desh

Smash Ace
Im gonna start tech chasinig with cape. Sounds fun as hell.XD

Does anyone else rage when they wake up knowing they had this sick *** dream, but cannot remember any of it at all? That makes me wanna eat a door.

also lol

Hi, my name is Zhu, and I'm so Chinese.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
it works better with this sheik character but i've never actually met someone who plays sheik so idk if it's just a rumour or something

Top Bottom