• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Doc General Discussion: Ask and ye shall receive ft. otg and Shroomed!

Max?

Smash Champion
I'm broke as **** right now, I feel you boss. Oh well, we'll play someday.

I guess my only question left to you is, what is he "launching" you with? Grab? N-air? Or is it d-air?
All of thee above. You can add pretty much anything there, good falcons will combo off of any move.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I couldn't make it to Rom4 sadly. I mean I had the opportunity for a RIDE but I was damn tight on money... **** me.

Don't think I can make it to Apex either. Cuz that's in Jan and isn't sign ups closed or something?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
he tapped redd mad hard

and then suicided like a scrub against silentswag in bracket and lost the set. Letting silentswag get that ill 9th placing.

Max?

Smash Champion
Yeah I did great Day 1, bodied my pools, then got bodied in Bracket. My bracket was ALL sheik tho. From Losers Round 3 -> Loser's Semi's was nothing but Sheik, so I was ****ed regardless. Oh well, next time.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
he tapped redd mad hard

and then suicided like a scrub against silentswag in bracket and lost the set. Letting silentswag get that ill 9th placing.
Idk if "mad hard" would be how I would describe it.

I think our teams set better describes that, yeah? ;)

<3 OTG

Max?

Smash Champion
Yedi didn't see the set, he's just a dummy lol.

It was nice meeting you Redd, I wish we got to play more, but there is always Apex. Freaking SilentSwag man....

Also did we play teams? Or was that addressed to Yedi?

Max?

Smash Champion
I was ready to throw in the towl.........

Then you sd

:phone:
LOLL

It was my fault man. You're waaaay better than I expected you to be, definitely shouldn't have been sleeping going into that match. Looking forward to playing you again.

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
Keep it up, man. The hardest part will be doing it again next time.

Consistancy is a *****.

Yeah OTG we will def. record sets at Apex. Swag.

Shroomed

Smash Master
I don't think I have enough experience against the Ice Climbers, but I've played almost every good Samus except for Plup and apparently Duck is amazing so I need to play him as well.

Thanks to Norcal having the best community this game has ever seen, I'm probably going to Apex.

Max?

Smash Champion
Could be, NY has a lot of PewPewPew.

Chris's house last night was like a freaking National (at least in terms of the player who were there). It's been like that since a month before ROM4 and is showing no signs of slowing down. Like, the lab has always been popular and we've always had a good crowd out there (G$ would come with the NYC people once every two weeks or so), but now it's turning into a few times a week with people from NJ, NYC, CT and Upstate coming down.

Idk man, the NY scene is pretty amazing right now.

boss8

Smash Hero
Could be, NY has a lot of PewPewPew.

Chris's house last night was like a freaking National (at least in terms of the player who were there). It's been like that since a month before ROM4 and is showing no signs of slowing down. Like, the lab has always been popular and we've always had a good crowd out there (G$ would come with the NYC people once every two weeks or so), but now it's turning into a few times a week with people from NJ, NYC, CT and Upstate coming down.

Idk man, the NY scene is pretty amazing right now.
dat apex 2 training...

unknown522

Some guy
I don't think I have enough experience against the Ice Climbers, but I've played almost every good Samus except for Plup and apparently Duck is amazing so I need to play him as well.

Thanks to Norcal having the best community this game has ever seen, I'm probably going to Apex.
I can 100% guarantee that you will beat duck pretty badly if you play him

Shroomed

Smash Master
Intro: Sup guys, I'm going to get straight into it. We all want to learn how to be a better doctor mario player right? First we have to look at what his general strengths and weaknesses are. Doc is primarily a PUNISHING character. He does not do well being aggressive and taking charge. He excels at capitalizing on mistakes. But depending on your opponent to make a mistake is ********, so you must learn how to FORCE a mistake out of your opponent, or put him into situations where his options are extremely limited and you can take full advantage of that. Doc's GREATEST strength is edgeguarding. Even though I suck and don't generally get kills sub 100%, gimps and edgeguards are what will propel you forward in the metagame. Doc is actually pretty good at getting his opponent offstage once he gets a couple hits in. Work on your edgeguarding for each and every character. I can't stress this enough, it's what I think is honestly holding me back so learn it early!

Comboing: This is EXTREMELY important. Learn EVERY LAST percentage and what your hits do to characters when they're at those percentages. What do you all notice about top level play? A few solid hits generally lead into a kill right? That's because each top level player knows exactly how to follow up whatever hit they land, this is a must. Melee is such a ******** skillful game that dropping a single combo can potentially lose you the match and in turn the set. Learn how to combo (almost) every character out of your grab, and learn what you should do to respond to their DI as well.

Reading your opponent: As I stated earlier, Doc is a punishing character. When you get a read, you must capitalize and punish as hard as possible. Granted, there are some situations where even if you read the opponent, our character limitations prevent us from punishing. Now in the beginning I said Doc isn't a very aggressive character which is true, but it is very rewarding to approach your opponent early in the match/set and see how they respond to your approach. If you shield->wavedash->jab and they shield after the jab, take note of that and attempt to start jab-> grabbing etc. Probe your opponent for responses to what you do in order to read them and turn what they thought was the right choice, into a mistake, and punish FULL FORCE. This is just general game knowledge I know, not so much specific to Doc but if you're a better player in general then you'll be a better Doc player!

Just the intro and some general good player knowledge. Character specifics will be more detailed and such.

Ken_Y`

Smash Lord
Shroomed, any tips on Luigi?
watch shroomed vs Eddie mexico and you'll figure it out

and shroomed pretty much nailed it when he said you have to edgeguard well with doc

and u gotta bait moves and learn how to be "slippery" with his wavedash's and wavelands after FH dairs and SH Bairs

and CC Dsmash is still a good move ;)

I remember watching shroomed videos after Genesis 1 and it made me work on my Doc

Shroomed is hands down the best Doc, listen to the dude

VGmasta

Smash Lord
Well said Shroomed. I could just about guess you would say those exact words. I've been following your vids for three years now and you know I'm completely aware of your extensive research within Doc's combos/follow-ups. Keep it comin' man.

Shroomed is hands down the best Doc, listen to the dude
This quote is a tough hit to take. But I'll just have to take it I guess. *smh*
Not because SHROOMED is at the throne, but because I'm NOT.... :(

I could've and probably should've at least beaten HungryBox by now, but instead I have nothing on top of nothing. I hope I'm not askin' for too much down here.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Hay guize

Wanna see some footage from my first real tournament in 2 years? :D

I'm absolutely horrible now. I roll to move. I'm seriously.

BUT STILL, I'M PLAYING AGAIN

Max?

Smash Champion
So recently I've decided to camp, rarely approach, CC a lot, spam pills and just be gay as **** in general.

Needless to say, I got a LOT better almost overnight. I've always tried to play this game going aggro, I find it more fun that way, but after ROM3 it was clear to me I needed to make an adjustment if I want to deal with these campy *** Sheiks/Spacies which are becoming more prevalent in my area. As a result, I got 5th at a tourney this past weekend, and while I feel like I could've done better (could've gotten Top 3, dropped the ball in Winner's Semi's) I'm seeing new avenue's for growth, and many new things to apply into my game.

I'm feeling very good about my game right now, and I think I can actually go to Apex now, so it's time to see if I can apply this on a grander scheme. I best see you all there, who is going?

Max?

Smash Champion
lmao

Hey Mike, I've spent the last 3 years jumping and approaching, so now it's time for a change. My punish game is dirty good from years of aggro, so combine that with some new found gayness and I think I'm gonna be running your state in no time.

Top Bottom